chapter one.

paper flowers

 

seoul 

it’s her big day today. the little girl is now not so little anymore. she’s matured, blossomed into this beautiful young lady. today’s her convocation day. after four years at the conservatory, she can finally say she’s made it. she checks herself out in the mirror once more. she looks beautiful in this baby pink dress. “sweetheart, you’re beautiful. come. let’s take a few photos of you before we head to campus.” an elderly lady says. the young girl could only smile and nod, letting her mother enjoy the moment.

 

a deep voice rings throughout the house, making the young girl chuckle. “we’re going to be late, mom. dad’s waiting for us in the car.” “let’s go. we’ll have more time to take all the photos you want to later, mom.” she says with a soft smile plastered on her face, linking arms with her mother as they walk out the room, heading to the car with her.

 

she’s the baby of the family. being the youngest, she was doted on not only by her parents but her older brother as well. he was the dream older brother most girls wished to have. and because of all the love she’s received, she too, could love others. while not the campus belle, jisoo was well loved among her peers and was well known amongst the seniors and juniors for being a great singer. jisoo’s a music major, taking business as a minor. she’s not the top student but she works hard, getting better than average grades. during their holidays, she would always be working at the café, while performing weekly during the open concerts. not only because it gives her extra pocket money to treat her family and herself, she did it for fun and exposure. and it paid off. she’s managed to get a job with a big conglomerate, working as their model and social media marketer. the bosses saw her performing one night at the cafe and casted her on the spot. her family can’t be prouder of her for what she has achieved all on her own.

 

nyc

 

“are you sure you’ve thought through this? is this because of what happened at the meeting last week?” “i’ve thought about this for some time now. i just couldn’t tell you… don’t worry. it’s not because of last week’s meeting. though i really rather another team gets the client, even if it’s not us.”  a softer male voice replies his concerned friend. “then what are you going to do from now on, haein?” “i’ve enough to last me a while while i look for the next opening. don’t worry, hyunsoo. this really isn’t a rash decision i’ve made overnight after getting screwed over by the client. do i really look that weak to you?” he shakes his head smiling. “well, that’s true. maybe it’s a good time for you to take this as a break.” “ticket back to korea’s already booked.” he chuckles before clinking their cans together before taking a huge swig of beer, letting the liquid burn his throat before letting out a contented sigh. the two males continue drinking into the night, the popping of the caps heard every once in a while while they enjoy snacks to go with their drinks.

 

“are you going to look for her? the girl?” the male asks carefully, looking at his friend who just shrugs. “if fate allows… we’ll meet.” he replies, a soft smile gracing his lips. “you must introduce me to her someday. i’m dying to know who’s the girl who’s captured this cold man’s heart.” he teases the male who only smiles. she was like a burst of colour during the darkest period of his life. 

 

seoul

 

“kim jisoo.” the speaker calls and the petite female makes her way up on stage to receive her certification and takes a picture with the presenter before bowing politely and making her way back down. her family and friends were cheering loudly for her, making her chuckle. after the whole ceremony and taking what felt like thousands of photos on campus, she and her friends are out celebrating together with her brother and a close friend. everyone knows everyone. its also no secret that one of her friends has a crush on her brother. she doesn’t mind at all, teasing them both. the pair clearly had feelings for each other. but her brother was just taking his time to confess, much to her dismay.

 

it’s always a good time with the group with how loud everyone is when they come together. they’re all a little bit tipsy, except for the guys who did not drink so they could send the girls home safely. jisoo drank a little too, but not too much, knowing she wasn’t good with her alcohol. “oppa, send chae home. mingyu will take the rest of us.” she says as she pushes her friend onto her brother who shakes his head. “i’ll leave my sister in your care then.” he tells the other male who nods. together, they get joohyun and sooyoung and bring them to the car, dropping them both off before he would take her home. “let’s go for a drive? the night’s still young anyway.” the male suggests and she nods. she didn’t quite feel like going home yet. “the beach, oppa?” she asks

they soon find themselves cruising down the road where they could see the ocean right beside them. mingyu stop the car at the nearby carpark before the pair get off and walk towards the beach area where there were lighted tentages filled with people eating and drinking after a long day of work. it’s a casual stroll with the cool seabreeze hitting them. they walk along the coastline, walking in silence. it wasn’t uncomfortable. mingyu and her brother are high school friends and they’ve hung out quite a bit. with or without her brother. “jisoo… there’s been something i’ve been meaning to say.” the male says, stopping in his tracks, making her stop as well, turning around to look at him. “hmm? oppa? why are you being so serious? it’s not like you at all.” she smiles as she walks back towards him. “i like you. will you be my girlfriend?” he asks as he pulls a necklace out for her. “i’ve liked you for a while now but i just didn’t know when to tell you… and jaewon…” he chuckles. “i promise to never make you cry. i’ll make you the happiest girl.” he says, staring into her doe eyes, searching for an answer.

 

she was a little taken aback, not quite expecting this. she did have good feelings towards mingyu, but was it love? she wasn’t too sure. “oppa… i…” before she could finish he speaks once more. “i know this might seem so sudden. you don’t have to accept me right now. all i’m asking is for a chance to make a relationship between us work. hmm?” she bites her lips, thinking for a bit before nodding. mingyu was on cloud nine, pulling the girl in for a tight hug. “thank you, jisoo. thank you for giving me a chance.” he says before pulling away to put the necklace on for her, a heart shaped one. “how are you going to tell oppa?” she chuckles.” as she fiddles with the necklace, a weird feeling washing over her. the male would be her first boyfriend. “i’ll show him i’m good enough for you.” he says smiling softly before pulling her in again for another embrace. the newly minted couple continue their stroll while chatting before he sends her home before midnight.

 

nyc

 

“call me once you get there. and send me regular updates!” “you’re so naggy!” the male says exasperatedly before chuckling, teasing his friend. “okay gramps.” he says as he hugs the male for a bit. “i’ll see you when i see you then, hyunsoo. take care alright? and please don’t trash my apartment…” he says as he bids his friend goodbye. since he had some time to kill before boarding, he decides to get a book and some gifts for friends he hasn’t seen for the longest time. it’s been eight years… he never had the courage to go back. to the place where there were his happiest and saddest memories. moving abroad to work, it gave him a place to escape. he didn’t even bother to say goodbye, only leaving a message to let them know that he was safe and had gone to work overseas, not leaving any form of contact. he wasn’t so sure they would still want to see him. not after he disappeared without a trace like that.
 

after getting the book, he heads over to the boarding gate with some finger bites on hand, to read while snacking. it is some time before his flight is called. he closes his book. and looks at the airport he’s travelled from countless of times during his stay here. would it be the last time? would he be coming back? for now, he has no answer. only time would tell…

 


 

hello everyone. its been a few months. this has been sitting in the drafts for a while now.

i have the rest of the storyline thought out. but i'll apologise first for the slow updates.

i don't want to put out just anything for the sake of updates. and i seek your understanding for that.

i hope this chapter gives you a little glimpse of what is about to come. 

do comment any feedback you may have. i'll most definitely be reading them.

have a good week ahead.

 

till then,

sending love and light,

iridescentbae ♡