Blonde Girl

Locked Out

“Don’t tell me you’re bringing me to another blind date! Come on sis!” Gahyeon whines on the phone and gets infuriated at Siyeon, her older sister.

 

“You’ve been lonely all this time! Might as well get someone who can give you happiness!” Siyeon retorts back, the teasing tone of her voice frustrates Gahyeon.

 

“I said I’m not interested in doing relationships! I literally have work to do and I don’t got time to deal with love.” The younger sighs, massaging her forehead using her free hand.

 

“Whatever floats your boat then… But you’ll definitely regret not having a lover!” At this point, Gahyeon wants to cuss at Siyeon but decides against it and abruptly ends the call.

 

The younger lets out a sigh of relief. She’s just too tired to deal with her older sister. Both she and Siyeon know that the blind dates will never work out but the latter is relentless.

 

Some time later, Gahyeon has arrived to her apartment building after hailing a cab. Her arms can finally take a break from holding too many grocery bags.

 

She makes her way to the elevators and presses the number seven button. Luckily, her trip to the seventh floor goes smoothly as there were no people in the same lift as her.

 

A few seconds pass and the lift door slowly opens. She’s about to lose her sanity if she has to wait for two minutes waiting for everyone to walk into their designated floors.

 

She makes a run to the front her apartment door and sets down the bags, checking her pockets to open the locked door. She spends a good minute finding her apartment key.

 

Gahyeon suddenly remembers that she left her keys in the living room and bangs her head on the door. She’s sure her neighbors would call her a madwoman after hearing loud noises.

 

“Damn it. I should’ve went straight to Ms. Kim’s office and tell her about the forgotten key…” She lets out another heavy sigh and feels her head hurt from the impact of her bang.

 

Gahyeon opts for an option that didn’t need her going back down to the first floor. She pulls out her phone and checks the list of contacts before pressing on the owner’s number.

 

A few rings and shaky breaths, the owner answers the call much to Gahyeon’s relief. She mentally prepares herself for the possible scolding that she could get.

 

“Hello Ms. Kim? It’s Lee Gahyeon, Room Sixty-Five on the Seventh Floor. Y-yeah I got a problem. I-I left my keys in my living room. My apologies for that.” She pauses, calming down.

 

“I-I promise I won’t forget about the uhm, keys next time. It’s totally fine with me. Alright then, I’ll wait for you. Thank you, really.” She ends the call, hands still shaking.

 

Gahyeon feels her legs shake uncontrollably through nervousness and her hands were too sweaty resulting in accidentally dropping her phone. The screen miraculously didn’t break.

 

“G-great. Where am I supposed to stay at?” She questions herself. Contemplating thoughts cloud her mind as she sits down on the wall beside her apartment door and spaces out.

 

She has to wait for a full hour before getting her damn door unlocked. Kim Bora, the owner, has some business to do and Gahyeon’s patience’s running out. She wants to scream.

 

Meanwhile, a certain blonde girl stretches her arms and yawns, finally finishing her office work. She stands up from her chair and walks towards the mirror, checking out herself.

 

The blonde takes some time making herself look presentable. She grabs some gum packets and rips one candy wrapper, aggressively chewing on the gum.

 

She then walks to the living room and gets a pair of slippers to wear. She opens the door, heading into the hallways, welcoming the wind that’s somehow cooler than her air conditioner.

 

The blonde’s heading to the open windows when she sees a girl on the floor, hugging her knees close to her chest, burying her head. The former senses worry in herself.

 

Sure, she could mind her own business and ignore the girl that might just be dramatic. However, she can’t resist helping out the miserable girl near her.

 

The blonde slowly approaches the girl on the floor and takes a closer look at her. She settles one of her knees down and stays there, hoping that the girl notices her.

 

Gahyeon doesn’t know how much time has passed since she sat on the same floor, back against the wall, rethinking of her life choices. She’s just too hopeless at the moment.

 

She quickly snaps out of her trance and slowly raises her head to see the hallways. Instead of just the elevator and the countless doors, she meets a beautiful sight.

 

Gahyeon sees a blonde girl, puppy eyes staring at her. The two make eye contact and the former subconsciously grins at the blonde. She’s never met such a cute girl before.

 

Keeping herself together from panicking, the blonde opens . “You got yourself locked out huh? Well, I assume your apartment’s behind that door.”

 

The blonde continues chewing her gum, points at Gahyeon’s door and the latter nods, sighing for the nth time. At least Gahyeon has someone to talk to while suffering outside.

 

“I mean, what kind of person would just sit in the hallways staring into the nothingness.” The blonde jokes, causing Gahyeon to chuckle nonstop and gasp for air soon after.

 

“I’m the biggest for not remembering where I put my damned keys.” Gahyeon smiles through the pain and glances at her grocery bags, internally cursing herself for ignoring.

 

“You might want a place to settle in for a bit or else whatever’s in those bags’ll be obliterated.” The blonde suggests, asking Gahyeon for permission to handle one of the bags.

 

Gahyeon didn’t hesitate to agree with the stranger and hands her one bag, standing up from her position. The former assumes she’s going into the blonde’s apartment.

 

And that’s what she exactly does when the stranger motions her to follow, walking and stopping in front of a door. She thanks the heavens for listening to her prayers.

 

“You know, I might have to call you ‘Blonde Girl’ if I don’t ask for your name before entering into your apartment.” Gahyeon awkwardly points out, scratching her head.

 

“I totally forgot about that.” The blonde sheepishly smiles and faces Gahyeon. She absolutely wants to know her name. The latter lifts her free hand.

 

“Lee Gahyeon. Don’t look like a bartender but am one.” She introduces and giggles at her nonsense sentence. The blonde thinks that Gahyeon resembles a playful fox with her grins and smiles.

 

“Kim Yoohyeon. A total workaholic and chewing gum addict.” The blonde finally connects her free hand with Gahyeon’s. The skin contact makes the two girls feel giddy.

 

Both Gahyeon and Yoohyeon know that they’ll be best of friends in no time. This is just the very beginning. For now, Yoohyeon has to deal with Gahyeon’s locked out situation.

 

Bora makes her way to the staff elevators and presses on the number seven button. She’s giving a new set of earful scolds to Gahyeon after rushing to the latter's apartment door and opening it.

 

Gahyeon hears footsteps outside of Yoohyeon's apartment, probably in the hallways... She knows it's Bora's and she's not so sure on how to make the owner shut up.

 

Siyeon just so happens to successfully get Yoohyeon and Gahyeon to an upcoming blind date with the help of her girlfriend, Minji. But that's a story for another time.