act 1;

Pretend It's Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

i'm sorry if there are any inaccuracies in how the casting works, but that's how the plot went, so... let's imagine it goes like that xD

p.s. the lines donghae and hyukjae are saying are the lines of the characters from my own fic "Moon Chasing The Sun"~ you don't have to read it to understand the context (though i'll be happy if you give it a try if you haven't xD), but if you did then you'll know what scene was that hehe enjoy and if you have some free time - do tell me if you liked the story!♥

_____

“Are you anxious?” Donghae heard his manager asking while he himself was sitting in the car, arms crossed and eyes closed, all while waiting for a result. “I’m sure you’ll get this role.”

“You said the exact same thing the last time, and what happened?” the actor snorted. “He took it from me at the final stage…”

He opened one eye to look at the doors he came out of a while ago, just in time when the said person – Lee Hyukjae was his name – was about to enter. A smug smirk on his lips, a competitive look in his eyes. The man knew pretty well he was leading in their score, although both loved to pretend they weren’t counting the number of wins. It was obvious they were lying.

“Good luck,” Donghae said, offering the guy his best smile just to look unbothered by the fact the other was here, obviously aiming to get his role.

“You know I don’t need luck; I’ll get the role I want anyway,” was his answer, and the younger – only by a few months, but Donghae loved using that to tease Hyukjae from time to time – frowned.

“I’m trying to be nice here!”

He stopped after saying that and gave Hyukjae an offended look; something a bit similar to pout, yet not quite that, formed on his lips. The other man had to stop as well; his eyes widened. Either due to the fact the conversation was happening in the middle of the hallway – when people who were working there could see and, most likely, hear everything they were talking about, which Donghae usually hated – or due to the fact the other was serious.

But you see… not like they were enemies. Not at all, actually. The two got to know each other when both were nothing more than the beginners in this industry; although being from different agencies, they debuted with the appearance on some shows around the same time and first met each other during the shooting of the school drama that became popular short after getting aired. The two’s roles weren’t big, however, that’s what you call a lucky ticket – the fact their debut roles were in such a famous thing helped them with their careers in future, making both enter the top of the most successful Korean actors of the decade.

Which was good. But also made them compete. Donghae knew they were pretty similar when it came to the dramas; they usually enjoyed similar plots and were interested in the same things. No wonder they were meeting each other quite often when they still had to look for the roles themselves. But then, once their popularity grew… they kept receiving offers from the same people, trying to get the roles in the same dramas.

No wonder the friendship that could actually grow – the two even managed to hang out with each other three or four times – died even before it bloomed. Not because someone was jealous, it’s just… well, complicated.

Donghae wanted to be friends with Hyukjae. Since day one. The guy seemed so cool and he immediately thought they’d make good friends. They clicked quite well too, despite their personalities being different. But Hyukjae loved saying that was the exact reason why the two got along – they were different, yet they completed each other. That could be a beautiful friendship for real.

However, it was harder and harder to maintain the said friendship when they kept being put against each other like that… Each and every time one was ‘stealing’ the role from another, they felt bad and simply didn’t know what to do with their relationship when things were like that. They were congratulating each other, but both knew it never felt too nice when someone was preferred over you.

It’s just… the industry that made them like that.

As it usually happens, the mass media notice everything. It didn’t take too long for people to notice these two were battling against each other in attempts to get the role way too often. The shows started inviting them together and kept talking about this thing over and over again, adding fuel to the fire as that’s what the viewers were finding quite enjoyable.

That’s when things started getting more and more awkward.

Hyukjae was better than Donghae when it came to the entertainment shows. Everyone knew that. His reactions were quicker, he was witty and didn’t have that camera anxiety Donghae had. The latter was a bit afraid to say something wrong; everyone kept telling him his jokes are weird, so he wasn’t really sure he’s that funny. That’s why he kept quiet most of the times when Hyukjae kept responding.

And that hurt. A little. He knew those were just jokes, just like he was aware Hyukjae never said anything offensive, but… The shows, they’re like that; they’ll force you to talk about one thing over and over again as long as it’s interesting for the viewers. And the fact that Hyukjae was able to do it, the fact he was able to joke when it came to their situation hurt a little. Again, not because there was something offensive, but just because Donghae hated the fact everyone was enjoying their bickering this much when all he wanted was to be friends with that man. He’d never be able to joke about their ruined relationship like that. But looked like he was the only one who thought so. Hyukjae didn’t seem to care too much.

That’s why the friendship wasn’t born. Their public image was on their way a bit too much; apparently those were the celebrities’ struggles people were trying to warn him about before Donghae debuted.

The fact that he knew where he lacked didn’t help much. Almost everyone said that acting wise, Donghae was better among the two (and he didn’t really know whether he had to be happy about it or offended) as Hyukjae couldn’t pull as many different images as the other guy. Even if you look at the roles he was given to, the older mostly acted as a cool guy, tough to get along with at first, yet soft inside. That was the image that was reserved after him. Donghae’s roles had a bit more variety – he acted as a cutie, as a not so pleasant person, as a character with dramatic past and so on. He was more versatile as an actor.

But there was one huge problem.

The chemistry. There was no chemistry between him and his partners on the shooting set, and that was his biggest problem.

Donghae didn’t really get what was wrong. He was getting along with everyone just okay, so saying that he couldn’t act with someone just because they hated each other was pointless. He also had no problems in creating chemistry whenever it was about friendship.

But when it was about romance… It’s just…

It never looked right. Never. Donghae kept becoming stiff, and that was making his partners stiff as well, no matter how professional they were. The guy couldn’t act as if he was madly in love for life, it was a problem he didn’t know how to solve. Changing partners, convincing himself, reenacting the scene so many times – nothing was helping.

And here was Hyukjae. Lee Hyukjae who’d have a chemistry even with a chair if only asked to. That man didn’t even have to try much – even if the case seemed hopeless and he seemed to be different with his partner, they’d end up having an insane chemistry still, making everyone scream even if the acting wasn’t the best. He was a king of chemistry.

That’s why the road to romantic dramas was banned when it came to Donghae. Sometimes he was offered such roles, but it’s no wonder they preferred Hyukjae over him. The viewers could forgive weaker acting, but they couldn’t forgive the absence of chemistry. The acting won’t help you two if no one sees you as a couple, many understood that.

It was the reason why Hyukjae was leading in their score as there probably were a bit too many romance dramas filmed nowadays. That also was the reason why Donghae was here out of all places.

After so many months of thinking… after deciding whether it was right… he…

He decided to try himself in a BL drama. Why not? He thought such projects were interesting as well and would gladly accept the challenge, just like he was getting the offers anyway. The BL dramas industry wasn’t too widespread in their country yet, so inviting a famous actor seemed like something that could help it to reach a new level. There were mostly mini-dramas in past, yet this one was going to be a huge one, with 20 episodes, 1 hour each. That was something new. And Donghae was excited to try it out.

Because he also thought that maybe, just maybe… there will be a chance for him to have a romance chemistry with someone… if it will be a man?

What? He didn’t try it out yet, he was curious. He wasn’t the one to lie to himself; the guy was pretty much aware he was turning a bit stiff whenever a girl approached him even in real life – for whatever reasons – so maybe such changes were a key? Because if no, he didn’t know what to do anymore. Maybe romance dramas weren’t for him, after all.

That explained why Donghae was there, yet totally didn’t justify the fact Hyukjae was there too. Was he interested in such projects or he came only because they invited him as Donghae was there, so that they could maintain the bickering couple image? The younger didn’t know.

Yet, he tried to be nice. Despite everything, Donghae was sincere when he was wishing the other man luck, so he was a bit upset his attempt was met with… this.

Hyukjae seemed to get it. And that made his eyes widen in surprise because… apparently, he’s gotten used to the fact they weren’t getting along publicly. That no one allowed them to get along by making them face each other under such circumstances over and over again. He thought Donghae accepted the rules of this game too – he had no opportunity to ask, after all – but there were times when he was surprising the man…

Just like at that moment. When he truly… wanted to wish him luck. Either because he was just this kind or because he still remembered those good moments they shared before everything came out of hand. But the reality was, Donghae tried to be nice and Hyukjae turned him down.

Which made the latter feel bad.

“Sorry,” he said even before he managed to think about that too well. “Thank you. Wish you luck as well.”

Donghae’s smile became somewhat bitter, “Because only luck can help me to get the role in a romance drama when you’re here?”

Silence.

“Because I never actually wanted to take any role from you, and you know it,” Hyukjae said eventually, but t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter