For Seulgi, who asks hypothetical questions

This Old Story

 

Of all of the countless people

How could I identify you?

Why was it you?

It's like the seat next to me, from the beginning

Has always been filled by you

- “Best Friend” by Wendy ft. Seulgi - 
 

...

 

What if we had met when we were much younger, and bolder, and more stupid? When days were bland but safe, when we could afford to be careless and drunk, and talk about the world ending without actually meaning it. 

 

 

“I didn’t know you smoked.”

 

A raised eyebrow is sent her way. It isn’t judging. Just curious. 

 

Seulgi wrinkles her nose and snorts. “I don’t,” she says, taking a drag before launching into a coughing fit.

 

“So, what’s the occasion?”

 

“Met my parents last night,” Seulgi says, shrugging. 

 

Her reply is met by silence, and when Seulgi looks back, she sees an understanding gaze. 

 

Seungwan was always like that. 

 

“How’d it go?” Seungwan asks anyway. 

 

“Well, as you can see-” Seulgi starts, waving the cigarette around, “-they made me want to stick this thing in my mouth.” She lifts it to her lips. “Oppa says it helps.”

 

“Hmm.”

 

Seungwan reaches into her tote back for a bottle of water when Seulgi starts hacking again, face screwing up in disgust. 

 

“Thanks,” she manages to say, reaching for the drink and throwing the stick onto the ground. She stomps on it to put it out, the way her brother showed her.

 

“I told them about the exhibition,” Seulgi admits quietly, after taking a few sips. 

 

Seungwan nods, waiting for Seulgi to elaborate or to drop the topic. 

 

It takes a while but Seulgi continues. 

 

“They said they’re too busy. And that I should stop wasting my time,” she scoffs, expression tainted with anger and incredulity. But there’s also hurt. 

 

Hurt that no matter what she does, it’s never enough. 

 

Hurt that she’s finally found something she likes and that she’s good at - something that she wants to show proudly and say, this is my work. This is me - and still, find it reduced to something less than the clump of ash under her boot. 

 

Seungwan’s gaze soften, reaching out for her hand. Her touch is light, as though asking for permission, before she lets her palm fully settle around her friend’s. 

 

“Can I get a hug?” Seulgi asks. 

 

Seungwan beams and nods, immediately stretching her arms wide open. Seulgi dives in, hands already reaching around her tiny companion’s back. Her chin rests snugly on her shoulder, taking in the light perfume Seungwan has sprayed on today.

 

There’s a rhythmic tapping on her back, and it makes Seulgi want to crack a joke about feeling like a kindergartener being put to sleep, but Seungwan speaks, gently and genuinely.

 

“They’re missing out then.”

 

Seulgi tightens her hold slightly, mumbling in Seungwan’s shoulder. It comes out a little muffled, but Seungwan catches it.

 

“Are you coming?” Seulgi asks.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“To my exhibition.”

 

“You know I’ll be there.”

 

Seungwan feels Seulgi’s arms around her loosen, just a little bit. If she had glanced down, she would have seen a contented smile on her friend’s face. 

 

“Always?”

 

“Always.”