Confession, or... wait! What is going on?

The Novelist Jongin



After the unexpected encounter with Kim Jongin, Hanna couldn't wander her mind anywhere else but Kim Jongin. She recalls back of the time when she first saw him two years ago, during the school's annual fire drill activity. She was looking around for Sooyoung, whom she lost grip of when students went unobligately scattered around in the school's assemble point. Teachers were frantically instructing the students to find their designated spot with their classmates but everyone was too busy going around and ignored the teachers on the loudspeakers. As she was smothered in the waves of wild crowd, as she made it out from it, she saw him. 

Hanna saw Jongin just standing at a quite far spot from the crowd. He was folding his arms and looked around while having conversations with his presumably classmates and friends. Hanna was paused in action at that moment. For the first time in her 15 years of living, she finally felt the sensation of her blood runs wild in her body and her heartbeat went faster that the rushing blood ended up on her cheeks, she flustered. Kim Jongin happened to be as exactly as she would want in a man: he is handsome, tall, cool, doesn't seem to be easily attracted to anyone's attention which doesn't matter to him, and when he talks from a distance, it produces a collectively sounds of deep occassionally raspy sounds which are too infatuating for Hanna to take. It's almost like, everything about Kim Jongin got her fancy for him. 

Hanna was slightly pushed by a male student behind her when he was on his way out of the crowd and he yells, "Yah, Kim Jongin! You rascal!"  and made his way towards Hanna's dream guy. Seeing that her dream guy responded to the name, Hanna grinned wildly that she got to know his name and it felt like it was so far the greatest valuable information she has about him so far, after knowing his existence.

Throughout the years, Hanna keeps her feelings to Jongin all to herself. Never once she told Sooyoung or even to her gransparents. She's comfortable fan-girling on her own. On that same year she received "Things I Do For Love" from her grandparents, and she has never been so filled with emotions. The deepest part of her imaginations had her thinking of what kind of a lover Jongin is, and as much as she knows, Jongin is single and never yet being seen with any girl. It's not that she stalks him or what, it's based by what she always see in school. Sometimes it occurred to her if Jongin is  perhaps seeing any girl from outside the school. She hopes not. She isn't ready for a heartbreak. This is her first time ever to like a guy and crushing on him. 

Hanna breaks herself from tripping down to the memory lane. She needs to stop thinking about something that never could be hers. She begins grabbing her smartphone on her nightstand. She texts Sooyoung and in a few seconds after, the notification rang and Hanna smiles at the respond of Sooyoung. She hits the voice call button and places the speaker next to her right here. "Yo!" Sooyoung greets.

Hanna and Sooyoung start their conversation about homeworks and other school stuffs as Hanna tries to distract herself from the thoughts of hey-Jongin-talked-to-me-today stuff.

The clueless Sooyoung just keeps doing her thing, "I think the answer that I put on my paper of last week's math test is undeniably wrong. Like, why would you use BODMAS when it was clearly no need to in Algebraic expressions right? I just could not get any dumber, could I?" 

Hanna sighs, Sooyoung always looks down on her own academic abilities. Sooyoung excels in sports, however she is not that bright bulb type of student, while Hanna is the opposite. Hanna is very good with Mathematics, because she enjoys it. Hanna doesn't like sports as much as Sooyoung does. She would do certain sport activities but only for fitnes and to fulfill requirements.

Everytime Sooyoung berates herself for her lack in academic, Hanna would stop her and convince her that she could try harder and Hanna is more than willing to help Sooyoung. Sooyoung is no other than Hanna's closest friend and they care a lot about each other despite their playfully jabs.

"Don't think so lowly about yourself, Yoongie. If you want, I could show you how to get it's done. I might not always get it right, but at least we could try."
Hanna hears Sooyoung's heavy sigh at the end of the phone, "Okay, then. I will ask you tomorrow." Hanna grins in satisfaction, "See? If there is will, there will be a way. Am I right?" 
Sooyoung exclaims playfully, "Yeah, right! You are so right that everything else seems so wrong." The two best friends laugh to their heart contents.

This is how Hanna and Sooyoung bond with each other, they never let egoism and selfishness get into them. Even in times when there are envied people who tried to put dispute between Hanna and Sooyoung, but the two will always talk their way out of it and choose to avoid toxic people from their circles. As log as they have each other, they don't really counting on anyone else unless needed to.

As they are in the middle of an interesting conversation, Hanna suddenly had Jongin's face flew across her mind. She couldn't control it. Her heart is too excited about interacting with Jongin, that her uncooperative brain keeps telling her to erase that hallucinations.Hanna debates within herself, whether she should or should not tell and ask Sooyoung about her fanciness towards Jongin. The debate inside between her heart and her brain doesn't seem to have a disclosure until Hanna spontaneously lashes out, "Sooyoung, I want to ask you something!" It had Sooyoung's story abruptly stopped, "Huh, what?" Sooyoung quizzically asks.

Hanna bites her lower lips, hesitating her choices over and over again. 'Should I or should I not?' 

There is a long pause.

"Hanna, oi!" Sooyoung is out of patience.
Hanna realizes that she kept Sooyoung waiting and she recollecting herself in a moment before asking, "How to confess to someone we like?"
Hanna shuts her eyes hard. She anticipates Sooyoung's respond and it feels like a very long endless minute.

"Since when do you like someone?"

There it is! A question is answered with another question. Hanna could have expected this from Sooyoung. 
Setting up an excuse and prefers to have her feelings kept being her own personal matter. Hanna says, "My cousin asked me. Don't ask who, just share your thoughts with me, please. I need to get back at it with her again after this," Hanna tries to sound as natural as possible. Sooyoung goes silence in a while.

"Ah. I think, I THINK, I THINK, okay, I think, your cousin could have just went to her crush and tell him that." Sooyoung spills out.

Hanna has goosebumps just by having the thoughts of meeting Jongin face to face to tell him, "I like you, sunbaenim." 

"Just like that?" Hanna stresses out the concern in her question and Sooyoung's point of view. Sooyoung scoffs at the end of the phone. "What else can she do? Write love-letters? Trust me, it's better to go straight up to him and confess right now and then, at least he might be able to get his first impression of you. Boys sometimes like daring girls, don't you know?" 

Hanna sighs, "Not everyone is as courageous as you, Youngie." Hanna hears Sooyoung laughs. "Thta's not what I meant, idiot! What I was trying to say, you have to go and let him know. If not, he will never know. Am I right? Sometimes, we girl step up to the game. Until when will he acknowledge your existence if  he is not told of your feelings to him?" Sooyoung preaches, and Hanna couldn't agree more. This reminds her to the Kim Kai's novels that she read, Hanna recalls that Mina was the one who advanced her way to Yunho and confessed (in the original "Things I Do For Love" first edition version) in which Yunho confessed back by saying that he has always had his eyes set on her, and the two became couple and faced challenging obstacles together as lovers. Hanna wants to experience that, yes she does. She feels so motivated by this. 

"I get it now! Thank you Youngie! Thank you very much! I needed this, I mean, I needed this for my cousin, so thank you!" Hanna almost slipped her tongue and she covered it up so quickly. Sooyoung didn't suspect a thing. "Good, just let me know what the outcome later, okay?"

"Okay! You got it!" Hanna feels so highly spirited. Then suddenly her spirit went downhill when one thought gets into her head. "What if he rejects it?" Hanna voices out her deepest concern and possible heartbreak. She was influenced by positive outcomes she read from the novels, but she doesn't know what she could have done to overcome her disappointment if Jongin rejects her advance. Hearing this, Sooyoung humms, indicating that she is thinking at the moment.

"Well, I think there's just nothing that we could do about it?" Sooyoung's mumbling is almost unclear to be heard but Hanna's ears catches every word of it. Hanna stares at the novels and ponders in the moment whether she is ready to be turned down by the guy she has always set her heart for. She is not ready for a heartbreak. She starts to feel safe even if she's only living in hope. Dreams could never hurt her, this is her first time after all. Maybe she could just keep her feelings untold. She thanks Sooyoung over the phone and after bidding goodnight, Hanna puts her phone on the nightstand and she begins to get ready for bed. She picks up the novels and put them back in the shelf. However, one of the novels slips out from her grip and falls onto her feet. Hanna flinches in pain and makes weird painful noises. "Holy mother of cow!! Ow! Ow! That is one sharp edgy book, God!" Hanna eventually settles on the floor, rubbing her bruise. "Maybe that's why they prefer E-book now," Hanna complaints. After she feels quite relieved, she stretches her arm to collect the novel which was flipped open when it hit the floor. The first sentence Hanna read kind of hitting her head. It was Yunho's line saying "Are you giving up on me?!" 

Hanna backs off quickly. "What the-- ?" Hanna quickly darts forward and reaches for the novel. It is the original one. Kim Kai's first novel. She looks back at the page and read Yunho's lines that go, "Are you giving up on me?! Are your feelings even real all this time? Was I wrong to think that despite everything, you will do your best to be by my side as I always do for you, for us, wasn't I?"  Hanna gasps as the novel falls from her hands, before she picks up the book again. She stares at the book and still looking unbelievable. "Is this a sign?" Hanna looks up to the ceiling, as if talking to the one above. Hanna ponders for a while and nods her head aggresively. 

"That's true! I should not succumb to my fear. I must rise! I must try! And I'm doing it tomorrow! I shall!"
 

__________________________________________________________________________________
 
Hanna is visibly shaken and there is a mixed expression on her face. Here she is, right now at this moment, in front of Kim Jongin's class, during recess time, speculating whether or not she pursue her original intention for going there. She stands so quietly at the entrance door and she could hear many sounds of noises in and outside of his class. She starts to hesitating every stupid reasons and motivations that got her down to this very moment. As she was still standing lethargically and berating herself from inside, she suddenly feels an unusual heat from behind, 'Someone is standing behind me.' Her mind notified her. She quickly turns around and apologetically scratching her head, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to stand here, I was just.." Stop. Her words stopped immediately when she realizes Kim-fcking-Jongin is right in front of him.
One feet away.
 
New record is set: this is the closest she ever get with her crush.
 
Her breath is taken away. Her eyes no longer know how to blink. Her heart stops beating for a mild second before pumping out blood like mad. And her brain is a chaos from inside, just like cartoon, she feels like there are minions in her head running around frantically upon this happening.
 
"Kim Jongin." Hanna exhales hard and loud enough for Jongin to hear it.
 
"Yeah, that's me." Jongin says, expressionlessly. Hanna awkwardly smiles and Jongin still reacting the same. No expression.
Few seconds pass by before Jongin suddenly exclaims subtly, "Oh, I know you!" He claps in hands.
 
Hanna's heart is racing like a race car on a ring of torn asphalt. Jongin nods confidently but calm, "The computer lab ghost girl."
 
"Uh?" was Hanna's only respond. It takes her moment to analyze Jongin's words. "Oh, yes. Yes, that's right. I am. That's me. I am... uh... that." She begins to feel cold sweat on her skins, running inside her school uniform, and she is out of words. Now that he is in front of her, Hanna couldn't think straight. She could have just go for it and tells Jongin how she feels but instead she ends up looking at him all chin up, and in a forced confidence she asks,
 
"Can I meet you after school?"
 
Silence. Only the sounds of noise made by the students during recess time filled the awkwardness in Hanna's physical and mental state.
 
Hanna starts to control her breathing and she is not daring enough to look into Jongin's eyes after she asked him.
 
"May I know the reason why?"
 
Hanna looks up, Jongin is still in the same expression. Hanna begins fixing her composure and replies, "Can- Can I just tell you why after school?"
 
Hanna still couldn't look into his direction but she knows he is staring at her. It makes her blood runs dry.
 
"Okay. I'll wait here, can I?" Jongin finally responds and Hanna quickly had her eyes meet Jongin's. She was expecting Jongin to refuse but now he actually wants to listen to her and actually will wait for her after school. Hanna nods her head quickly, "Right, then, see you later." Without sparing any seconds more, Hanna dashes out of Jongin's view, leaving him confused. He watches as she runs to the upstairs, only to have her running back downstairs seconds later, indicating she went to the wrong direction. Seeing her going downstairs, Jongin could assume she is his junior schoolmate. "What was that all about?" Jongin asks himself and shrugged his shoulder before he walks into his classroom. 
 
Hanna runs into her class and quickly settles on her seat. Sooyoung notices this and asks Hanna in a concerned tone. "Hanna, what is it?" 
Hanna looks at Sooyoung and begins to shoot like a soft machinegun, "I'mgoingtomeetsomeoneafterschool,couldyouwaitformeatthegateIwon'ttakesolongIpromise" She ends it by clasping her hands in front of her puzzled friend, a gesture of begging and apologetic.
 
Sooyoung stares blankly into Hanna's desperate one. "What the hell were you trying to say, woman? Can you slow down? I didn't get a ."
 
Hanna takes a deep breath and begins vocalizing her words one by one as she flips her long hair to the back of her tiny shoulders, 
"Sooyoungie, I'm. Going. To. Meet. Someone. After. School. Could. You. Wait. For--"
 
"Stop it! I'm not that dumb!" Sooyoung lashes out as she hits Hanna's head with her assignment paper that she was holding previously.
The two friends burst into big laughter and for a while, Hanna doesn't feel nervous, thanks to Sooyoung.
 
"I'm saying that I got to meet someone after school, can you please wait for me at the gate, I promise I won't be long."
This time Hanna has it spelled out clearly, like crystal. Sooyoung nods, fully understanding. Hanna is silently grateful Sooyoung didn't ask much. 
But after this, she has to be prepared, body and soul, heart and mind. There are slight chances that this could end well, however this doesn't negate the fact that she prefers to expect worst out of anything. Hanna spends the entire period in class pondering, while waiting for afterschool. The wait feels like an absolute torture. Hanna couldn't barely focus in her learning sessions and in that moment she hopes that after she settles confessing to Jongin, this burden she feels on her chest right now will be removed for good, despite whatever the result is going to be. At least, she will walk home with an answer.  
 
 
The last bell of the day rings, and this time, Hanna personally feels like the bell is mocking her by being extremely loud for today out of many days.
Hanna moves and does everything slowly, while she waits for everyone to leave the classroom. Sooyoung already waits for her at the gate and Hanna couldn't be anymore anxious and nervous of whatever waiting for her up there. She climbs the stairs and suddenly the staircases is oddly short in that moment.
 
She walks towards Jongin's classroom and clasps her cold shaking hands together. She stands still for seconds, trying to put her heart content into proper words and she thinks out of how will she deliver her confession to him. She recollects herself and starts pushing the entrance door. 
As she steps in, Jongin is already there. He was looking outside the window when she comes in and Hanna suddenly feels her legs are glued at the entrance.
She can barely move. So there they are, staring into each other's eyes, one is confused and the other is obviously shaken and trembled. It's just the two of them there. No sound, not even the wind. Jongin still stares at her, blank, and Hanna could assume that he is waiting for her to say something, and she did.
 
"I thought you would not wait." 
 
Right now, Hanna have so many things going over in her mind. Jongin starts walking over from his seat towards Hanna as he says, "Well, I did tell you that I'll wait, didn't I?" He settles onto the teacher's table, near Hanna. By the look of his face, he is quite a placate guy. Hanna feels relieved for his welcoming gesture.
Hanna looks down and plays with her fingers to ease her nervousness. She is afraid if she is about to choke herself anytime soon. Now or never.
 
"I... I..."
 
Hanna stutters. Been living for 17 years, suddenly today she suffers Tourette Syndrome. Funny.
 
And Jongin, still patiently wait for Hanna to do her stuff. The reason why he is not at home yet by this time is about to be revealed. He is curious too, actually.
First time ever a girl as cute and petite as Hanna wants to meet him. That's right, Jongin notices that Hanna is a pretty girl. Her eyes are round and has a pair of beautiful hazel like eye color. Her cheeks are rosy and even by now, she blushes hard. Her hair is straight and long, black in colour, she tied the upper part of her hair in ponytail while the lower part is loose. He also realizes when speaks or smiles, she has dimples on both of her cheeks, they are not that deep kind but still visible nevertheless.
Therefore, Jongin is sort of wondering what business does he have with this girl?
 
"I... fancy... I ahh.." Hanna's voice is getting unclear, from whispers to mumbles and to whispers back. Jongin sure he caught bits of her words but couldn't compile to its meaning.
 
"I'm sorry, what?" He asks.
 
Hanna's head is as much as lowered that Jongin couldn't see her face at all, he only see the top of her head.
 
"I fancy you." Hanna's voice was too soft, not just Jongin but even Hanna herself couldn't capture what she was saying. But she swears she could feel her heart almost jumped out from her chest.
 
Silence.
 
One Mississippi. Two Mississippi. Three Mississippi. Four Missis--
 
"Ah! I get it!" Jongin suddenly exclaims. Hanna quickly raises up her head and watches quietly as Jongin walks back toward his seat and starts pulling out a notebook and a ballpen. Right now, Hanna is the one who is left confused. 'Did he hear it? Did I say it right? What is he doing?' All these questions but Hanna is less than coward to ask Jongin out loud as she could only witnesses Jongin doodles something on the notebook and after he is done, he rips the page out. With that paper in his hand, he walks back towards the confused Hanna. Hanna just couldn't take her eyes away from Jongin. Because he is smiling. For the first time, she saw him smiling. At her. He is smiling at her. Not a smile that has any contrary meanings behind it, this is a genuine sincere smile and she just couldn't help but to adore him more. Jongin really is twice handsome when he smiles.
 
"Here." He gestures the folded paper to Hanna, implying her to take it. Hanna simply takes it and opens the fold. It's a signature and there's a saying there written by Jongin himself. The saying goes,
 
"Study hard and smart. Thank you for your support." 
- Kim Kai
 
 
Hanna slowly looks up to Jongin who has already grabbed his bagpack, indicating that his job is done here. Hanna has never been any more confused.
 
"An autograph?" 
 
There was a pure questioning force in her tone and face expression. 'Why would he hand over me an autograph? What did I say? What did he hear?'
 
Jongin gets closer and shrugged his shoulder, "At least that what I heard what you said." 
 
Hanna has her eyes as big as an owl who went out for a hunt in the night.
"What did I say? What did you hear?"
 
"That you are a fan of mine. You said you fan me, some sort like that, I didn't quite catch but I think that's what it was."
 
Another moment of silence for our fallen sister. She just got fan-zoned. Oh no.
 
 
 
__________________________________________________________________________________
 
 
Senpai's note :
 
Poor Hanna. Well, I can't blame Jongin either. He heard words, he assumed things, he thought that's what it was.
I'd more likely react the same. Grab my pen and paper, here you go, fan.
Pfft, like I have any.
 
ANYHOW, THANKS FOR READING, CIAO!