2nd

Boston

Chapter 2

It’s been a few days and Amy and the feelings she felt that day were bugging her. Eugene caught herself thinking about her more and what happened back in Boston. She went drinking to cope, she’s been thinking too much it’s exhausting her on top of her work. Now that she grew more mature, she realized how wrong was she back then and how hard it must be. She’s getting frustrated and it’s affecting her and Vicky’s relationship. She’s not that dense, she feels Vicky is on the edge.

What happened in Boston, you say?

 

Boston, 2015

Babe, there’s a big opportunity waiting for me in LA. I think I should go.” Eugene opened up.

 

Eugene just graduated college with flying colors with a degree on Business. Being a scholar and athlete at the same time at the prestigious One-Reeler University, opportunities all over United States came to her mail. Some wanting to scout her on their Soccer teams, some wants her for her business smarts. Eugene piqued their interests with her thesis and OJT at the Bloom business firm.

 

A start up company from LA wants you to work for them? Babe, are you sure they’re not a scam? They look sketchy.” Amy replied as she sat down beside Eugene.

Babe, I studied their business scheme and their plans. Their products would be a game changer. They just need a good business admin to run their company and that’s me. They need me out there, babe. They need me, Ames. It will be a challenge but I don’t back down to challenges, right?

I don’t know, Gene.. it’s scares me..

What’s scaring you, babe? Tell me.

You’ll go to LA and I’ll be left alone in Boston… I’m scared of what might happen and I’m not there to take care of you.

Wait, you’re not going with me?

I can’t go with you, Gene. My career is starting to sprout here. I have my life in Boston right now, babe.. I can’t..

Don’t you trust me, Ames? Babe, don’t you have any confidence in my abilities?

It’s not that, babe.. My career. My family. I’ll leave it all behind if I come with you.

Reasons. I can get our family to LA after the success of the Oneiric Company.

What if it doesn’t turn out to be a success? Babe, me, being here in Boston with my career allows us an error margin. Something and someone to fall back to when and if ever the company in LA fail.

And do long distance? You think we can handle that, Ames? We can’t even be separated for a day. What more for years?

Babe—

Enough with your reasons, Ames. Just tell me if you don’t trust me and my abilities. Cause that’s it, right?

What? No. What are you talking about, Gene?

Eugene stood up and went out of the house. Leaving a dejected Amy by herself.

 

Amy tried reaching out to Eugene multiple times to talk about their problem but the latter avoided her like a plague. Next thing she knew, Eugene accepted the job and flew out to LA without even telling a word to Amy. Ending a 5-year long relationship just like that. Amy tried again to get in touch with Eugene when she learnt that Eugene is in LA already but to no avail, Eugene changed her number and went silent on social media.

 

Present, LA 2022

That’s basically what happened back in Boston and 2 weeks ago.” Eugene said, finishing the story for her lover. Minus the uneasy feeling I felt that time, of course. Vicky was sitting silently beside Eugene, she seems pre-occupied, thinking about the situation.

Both of them took a day off and are currently sitting side by side by their apartment’s balcony, sipping on their morning coffees. Vicky thought this situation might make their relationship better or worst while Eugene gulped, waiting for Vicky to say anything.

So, what’s exactly the reason that you were out drinking and restless for 2 weeks?” Vicky asked. “Did what happened 2 weeks ago triggered something in you?” She stared at her lover. “You have unfinished business in Boston.. with Amy.. what do you feel? Won’t you tell me?

That accidental meeting 2 weeks go made me remember what I did back in Boston. It was so immature and I felt like it’s unfair for Amy..

It really is. You’re such a , tbh.” Vicky interrupted and Eugene pouted with that.

I really felt bad and I know Amy’s in a better place right now but…” Eugene paused.

But you want to make it up to her?” Vicky continued her words and Eugene nodded.

I understand.” Vicky said. Sipping on her coffee.

Eugene.” She called out to her lover.

Hmm?

I’m not entirely comfortable with this situation and I feel like there’s more to it. I want you to think about it. I’d hang out with Madison in the meantime. Natalie and Hillary’s coming as well.” Vicky said and sat up from her seat.

Okay.” Eugene agreed. She sighed.

 

After two hours, the couple heard their doorbell ring. Eugene went to get the door and Madison smiled at her.

 

Hey, you big puppy.
Hey, mom.

 

Madison hit Eugene’s arm playfully as the latter laughs at her reaction.

 

Love! Madison’s here!” Eugene called out to her lover as she shows Madison the way to the couch.

Gimme 10!” Vicky shouted back.

Take your time baby!” Madison said and seated on the couch. Eugene asked her if she wants any refreshments but Madison shook her head. “I just had breakfast.

 

Vicky is the youngest one at her circle of friends so they baby her. With Madison being the oldest. Madison Kwon, a banker by profession and dancer by heart; also, Heather Kang’s soon to be wife. Natalie Yabuki and Hillary Honda, the step sisters who runs an animal shelter and bakery downtown.

 

Please take care of Vicky. We kinda had a situation.” Eugene smiled a bit as she talked to Madison.

Don’t worry.” Madison smiled back. “Heather’s going for you later. You better get ready too.

Huh?” She looked at Madison full of question in her eyes.

We heard about it from Vicky.” Eugene kept mum. “Heather knows you way too well too. Wasn’t she with you since Boston? You guys are best friends. If there’s anyone who can help you, it’s her and your friends.

And, honestly, I think you should go back to Boston.” Madison said before Vicky went out to the living room and jogged to Eugene while holding a duffel bag.

I’ll get going, I’ll be back when you’ve figured it all out.” Vicky gave Eugene a peck on her cheeks.

I’ll see you.” Eugene gave Vicky a tight hug. She gave her lover a kiss on her forehead and before both of them let go, Vicky said something to Eugene.

 

I agree with Madison.”, Vicky whispered.  

 

Vicky’s already expecting for the worst.

 

“I think you should go back to Boston
And maybe go find yourself
Talk to your friends and let them help
Find what you want in someone else”

 

As Madison said, Heather went to fetch Eugene. She went out of the complex and saw a camping van outside with Heather on the driver’s seat, Candy on the shotgun and the couple at the back seats; Anne Lee and Cherry Miyawaki.

How’s our baby?” Cherry asked her with concern on her eyes. Cherry’s the oldest in their group, together with Anne, they treat Eugene almost like their daughter.

You look like a dead fish.” Anne added.

Oh come on moms, I’m fine.” Eugene responded. “What’s with the camping van though? And where’s Lily?

Uh, duh? We’re camping, that’s why.” Heather replied.

And Lily didn’t want to go, she said she’d rather just be left here than go to Boston camping.” Candy replied with a pout.

Uhm, what? To Boston? From LA to Boston? Really?” Eugene asked, not believing it.

Yeah, why?” Heather replied.

 “It takes 40 hours plus to drive there you know?”, Eugene.

So? Everybody can drive, except Cherry.” Heather replied. “No offense.” She continued in a whisper.

Do y’all really have the time to camp?”, Eugene asked in a concerned manner.

Uhm.. I guess?
Not really..
Where’s the harm being absent from work for a few days?
I can come up with something.

 

Eugene shook her head. “Come down there, let’s book a plane to Boston.

 

Wow!
Kudos to our rich friend!
Slave of money, that’s why.
I love you, Gene!

 

The last one that spoke, Candy probably, made Eugene smile.

 

Her friends are bunch of weirdos and are full of randomness but she loves them either way.  

 

 

 

Author’s Note:

So, hey, I’m back with a new chapter for Boston. I came around writing angst on my Social Media AUs so I thought why not go back to writing my very first story. So, here you go! I’d try update one each week and I also added the list of names on the Author's Thoughts below. I think it’s gonna be too long to introduce them one by one so I’m putting the list of names ahead to know which is which. Have a great day!