1st

Boston

Chapter 1
Vicky’s now standing in front of the slumped and drunk Eugene on the couch in their shared apartment in Los Angeles, staring at her girlfriend with concern in her eyes. The sun’s hitting the latter’s beautiful sleeping face.

Babe? What’s wrong? Can we talk? It’s been 2 weeks since you’re like this.” she kneeled to meet the eyes of her lover.

“I know you don't wanna talk much
Gettin' worked up, yeah I know you can't help it”

Eugene stared back at her lover and sighed. “Babe, I’m just really tired with work. Can you please cut me some slack?

Eugene went back to sleep and Vicky thought of how hectic work must have been over the past 2 weeks. I mean, who were she kidding? Everybody’s fighting of their position on work everyday and doing their utmost best they can bring out because Los Angeles is such a big place with big opportunities and no one would miss on that. A million people fighting over said opportunities and Eugene and her are both lucky to have work and live comfortably together but she started to think differently when Eugene came home last night, wasted.

“I know you're thinkin' 'bout the long run
And what you want, you don't wanna be selfish
But the truth comes out sometimes
When you're drunk too much and you got too high”

Vicky hears a knock on their apartment door while she was getting ready to sleep. She opened the door and it revealed a sight of Candy Choi- Eugene’s best friend. “Oh my gosh babe, how much have you drunk for you to get wasted like this?” Vicky exclaimed as she tries to help Candy to carry the wasted Eugene on their couch. Candy stumbled as she and Vicky finally able to put Eugene on the couch to sleep.

I don’t know what’s wrong with your girlfriend, Vick. She suddenly asked me, Heather and Anne to have a drink at Enozi after work.” Candy said as she sat down on one of the single chairs beside the couch. Vicky mouthed a “thank you” as she hurriedly took care of her sleeping girlfriend.

After 5 minutes of talking and rest, Candy got up and waved at Vicky. “Vicks, I’ll get going now. Heather and Anne are on their way to fetch me.” Heather Kang and Anne Lee, another set of friends of Eugene.  Vicky waved back at Candy and walked with her to the door. “Thank you.” She thanked Candy once again. “Oh come on Vicks, no problem.” Candy replied and hurried to the elevator.

Vicky went back to her sleeping lover, staring at her with her loving eyes as she fixes the hair strands that were on Eugene’s face. “Sleep soundly, baby.” Vicky leaned down and gave Eugene a peck on her temple. “Mhmm.. Amy..” Eugene called, it shocked Vicky. Eugene continued to blabber the name “Amy” and the place “Boston”. 



Amy? Boston?” Vicky asked the half asleep Eugene. Hearing the name and place from the mouth of her girlfriend, Eugene felt like a cold water washed over her and immediately sobered up. She pretended to still be sleeping as her girlfriend barrage her with questions.

Baby, who’s Amy?
What’s with Boston?
Why did you suddenly ask your friends to drink?
Baby? Are you cheating on me?

Eugene cannot pretend to sleep anymore after hearing her girlfriend’s last question. She sighed, opened her eyes and stared at her girlfriend’s eyes. “No, baby, I’m not.” She sat up and continued. “Amy’s someone I know in Boston. You already know baby, Boston’s my home town.

Vicky nodded but continued calmly despite feeling like her heart’s about to jump out of her chest. “Baby, you know I’m friends with your friends too, right? I was about to disregard what Candy told me earlier but I guess I can’t now.” Eugene arched a brow and asked. “What did that duck say?

Vicky sat down at the edge of the couch where Eugene is currently on. She told Eugene what Candy told her earlier. That Eugene kept on blabbering a name- Amy. Candy doesn’t have any idea who in the world Amy is and kept asking Eugene but she kept mum until Heather said that Amy is an ex of Eugene and that they met in Boston.

“I know you don't wanna wake up
And then make up when you really don't mean it”

Vicky faced Eugene who’s in shock that her best friend just sold her out and asked her. “Now, who’s Amy? And why, of all times you can think of her, does it have to be now?” Eugene sat down and faced Vicky. Eugene saw her lover’s shaky lips, cupper her cheeks and gave her a light peck. “Calm down, my love. Don’t start a fight right now, let’s talk tomorrow, okay? You’re sleepy and I’m drunk, let’s think rationally about this. I’ll make it up to you. Alright?” Vicky nodded, biting her bottom lip and Eugene carried her to their bed and after a while of coaxing and cuddling, Vicky fell asleep. Eugene stared at her lover, thinking about what happened 2 weeks ago; thinking about it made her wish she wouldn’t want to wake up tomorrow as she fell asleep.

“I hate seein' you like this
It hurts knowin' somethin's missin'”

 

2 weeks ago

It was 9:00 am and it’s Eugene’s day off.  She woke up with an empty space beside her, she got up and went out the room shouting for her girlfriend’s name- looking for her. She got no response and roamed her eyes all over the house but couldn’t find a trace of her lover. She went back to the room and grabbed her phone from the bedside table and found a text message.

From. My Love
“Good morning baby! I already went out for work if you’re looking for me. I didn’t wake you up because you look like you’re enjoying your sleep and it’s your precious day off! Unfortunately, I’m in a hurry and wasn’t able to make you breakfast. I’ll make it up to you tomorrow, love you!

xoxo”

She smiled at the message, didn’t mind she didn’t have any food for breakfast and typed a reply.

To. My Love
“Good morning, love. Sorry I woke up late. Did you have your breakfast? I hope you did. If you didn’t, send me a message. I’ll grab some and deliver it to your office. I’m planning to jog anyway; I’ll pass by your company before I reach Central Park. If you want anything else, just tell me, okay?

Love you too!”

Eugene’s drying off her hair when she heard her phone ding, indicating a notification. She grabbed her phone and looked at the screen.


From. My Love
“You’re finally awake, sleepy head! I don’t need anything, only you hehe and I’ll get off a bit early today anyway, I’ll see you then!”

To. My Love
“Looking forward to it then, my love. Please focus in your work and don’t stress yourself out.

Love you, lots!”

Eugene wore a black sports bra with a blue hoodie, a black tights and her white jogging shoes. She grabbed her duffel bag and went on.

It’s a sunny day with a cool breeze. While jogging, she grabbed her phone on her duffel, not looking forward, she bumped into someone- a lady with a noticeable pink hair. She quickly kneeled down to check on the said woman, as soon as she did, the scent of chocolate and something sweet filled her nose- remembering a certain someone, she shook her head and apologized profusely. “I’m really sorry miss, are you alright?



I’m okay, I’m sorry too.” The said woman looked up and saw a familiar face.

Eugene An?
Amy Kim?

 

The two stared at each other for god knows how long. They only moved when a passerby cleared their throat and it made them went back to reality.

I’m sorry for bumping into you, can you stand up?” Eugene said and held out her hand to shorter girl who’s still on the grass. Amy nodded and held Eugene’s hand for support so she can stand up. Eugene looked at the shorter girl from head to toe, god she’s not checking her out that way, she’s checking her out to see if there’s any wound or bruise and there she sees one, Amy scraped her knee. “Your knee is scraped; can you sit by the nearby bench while I go and buy some antiseptic and gauze over there?” Eugene pointed at the pharmacy not far from their location. “Okay.” Amy responded sheepishly.

Eugene and Amy are now sitting side by side with iced americanos on their hands. “Thank you for the coffee, Gene.” Eugene looked at her and smiled, feeling warmth in her chest as she heard a familiar nickname. “Don’t mention it, I bumped into you. It’s the least I can do.” She looked at the gauze patch on Amy’s knee.

It’s honestly okay, it’s not that big anyway.” Amy replied and she stared at the clouds while smiling. Eugene looked at her. “Her smile is still the same.” She smiled and thought to herself. And with that they’re now silent.

What are you doing here anyway? Can’t believe you left Boston.” Eugene broke off the silence.

Ahh, I’m just visiting. It’s not for good. I have a friend around here.

I see. How’s LA so far? Good, no?

I’m actually enjoying my stay. I’ve been here for a few days now and it’s been so much fun.

That’s great.” Eugene smiled.

Looks like the company is a huge success. Congrats, Eugene.” Amy smiled at her.

Yeah. It took a while but it’s worth it.

Amy’s phone dinged with a notification. “Oh, my friend just texted me that she’ll fetch me here. She just got off her night shift.

Eugene glanced at her phone to see the time. 10:47 am.

Amy!” Somebody shouted from a distance. Panting, she looked like she ran all the way here in a hurry. She went closer to Amy and checked her wound. “Babe! I told you to not go out without me. Look at you now!” The girl scolded Amy. “Anna, I’m fine. You’re exaggerating.” Eugene looked at them kind of shock with the endearment, something heavy building up on her chest. “So, she’s got someone.” She thought to herself. “Meh, it’s been 7 years, Eugene. Of, course.

Eugene, this is Anna Kim. Anna, this is Eugene An.” Amy introduced them to each other.

Hi, I’m Anna. Sorry, she’s a bit clumsy.” Anna extended her hand to Eugene and apologized on behalf of Amy. That got Amy staring daggers at Anna.

Eugene. Not at all, I’m the one who’s sorry. I’m the one who bumped into her.” Eugene replied as she took Anna’s extended hand for a hand shake.

The two- Anna and Amy, talked for a bit… or should I say, Anna’s scolding Amy. Witnessing the scene in front of me- Anna looking at her lovingly and with concern and Amy staring back softly, the feeling in my chest’s getting heavier and it’s making Eugene uncomfortable. Eugene cleared that got both of their attention.

Sorry, I have to go now.” I bid them goodbye in a hurry and jogged along.

Bye, Gene!
Take care, Eugene!

 

Eugene saw them both on her peripheral vision waving at her.

 

 

Author’s Note:

List of names on the website’s Author’s Thoughts section at the bottom before the comments. I think it’ll be long to introduce the character’s one by one so I’d be putting up a list of names.