Chapter 9

The Sprout Land: The Fall of a Kingdom (Quadlan Series)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s past eleven when they decide to sneak out. Monolith members are still wandering around the building, but it’s the perfect time to avoid the guards since Seungwan knows there will be a shift change in a few minutes. It’s their only chance because Joohyun firmly opposed her idea of jumping through the window. Now that she thinks about it, it wasn’t as great as she thought it was.

 

Joohyun stands at the door, listening to any sound outside. They hear voices signaling the end of the shift, and Seungwan sushes Joohyun, just in case. Seungwan throws their bags and prays they will land on the bushes. She can’t see where they land from that distance, so she closes the windows and goes back to the door.

 

“We’re gonna go now,” she mutters, opening the door.

 

The guards look at her. There are four of them (like it doesn’t scream we are afraid of the princess) and, if she remembers well, they usually go for their dinner one by one, only after their replacement gets there. Just in time, one of their replacement turns around the corner.

 

“We will go to grab dinner now,” Seungwan says, taking Joohyun by the arm.

 

“I’ll take you,” The replaced guard says.

 

“Wait,” the other one grabs his arm. “There should be at least two of us with her all the time.”

 

She knows they mean Joohyun. Like it would make a difference if she really were a psychic.

 

“Wendy will be with me too. It’s okay.”

 

The man doesn’t let him go.

 

“I don’t think it’s okay. She’s…” he stops, avoiding Wendy’s eyes. “Nevermind. Just be careful.”

 

He nods, his blue hair falling over his eyes. He extends his arm, inviting the ladies to go first. Joohyun walks in the front, but Seungwan stays behind, walking beside him.

 

“Jaemin, I heard about your brother. I’m sorry.”

 

The blue-haired boy smiles weakly, returning Wendy’s gaze for a second.

 

“Thank you, no one else seemed to care. Not even his friends. It was like he was another collateral damage.”

 

They walk the stairs to the four floor, which Wendy knows is emptier than their floor.

 

“Aren’t we all?” she mutters, feigning sadness.

 

He hits the flashlight when they get to the four floor, but it doesn’t work.

 

“Uh, let me--”

 

Before he has the opportunity to do it, Seungwan chokes him, applying just enough pressure to make him pass out, but not enough to kill him. He squirms for a few seconds before fainting. The flashlight falls to the floor, turning on and lightening a figure at the end of the hall.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?”

 

Seungwan leaves Jaemin on the floor softly, following the voice with her eyes.

 

Karina has a blade against Joohyun’s neck, holding her still.

 

“I asked you a question,” she speaks again, getting closer to Joohyun.

 

“Let her go and I’ll explain,” Seungwan says, raising both arms in peace.

 

Karina loosens her hold on the princess, but she still doesn’t let her go.

 

“You better have a great excuse for this.”

 

“I--”

 

“We are trying to escape.”

 

“Joohyun! What the ?”

 

“What? Do you think she will believe any of your lies? She’s not stupid.”

 

“The girl has a point, Wendy.” Karina loses the hold on the blade a bit. “Why are you trying to escape? It’s not safe for you out there.”

 

The last part she tells Joohyun, staring directly at her.

 

“You’ll be much better here,” she continues. “You need medical assistance for a few days at least. I can’t let you go like that.”

 

“Then go with us,” Wendy proposes.

 

Karina squints her eyes.

 

“I’m not a prisoner here. You are,” she reminds her. “I don’t want to gain enemies.”

 

Karina looks briefly at Jaemin.

 

“Did you kill him?”

 

“Of course not, he’s just… asleep.” She shrugs. “But he won’t be much longer. We really need to go.”

 

“I’m sorry, I can’t let you go.”

 

“Try it.”

 

“What?”

 

“Try to go. See if you are not a prisoner. If you’re not, then we will stay. If you are, you go with us.”

 

Karina’s hands falter, changing the blade from one to the other.

 

“And please,” Wendy rolls her eyes. “Lower that blade. You wouldn't hurt her.”

 

“What makes you think I wouldn’t?”

 

Wendy scoffs, lowering the blade by herself and taking it in her hands.

 

“Like you would ever want to hurt that pretty face.” The statement makes Karina blush. “I have eyes, doc. I know you like her.”

 

Joohyun takes a step back, turning around to watch the doctor nervously fidget with the hem of her white shirt.

 

“I don’t--”

 

“Come with us,” Wendy insists in a way that Joohyun recognizes again as master manipulation 101. “ Don’t you want to be part of something bigger? That is what this is.”

 

Karina finally puts the blade in her back pocket, looking at Joohyun.

 

“You got me at Bae Joohyun,” she murmurs, and the princess blushes, avoiding her gaze. She’s used to the attention of boys, but with girls is a whole new experience. However, her main thought right now is that Seungwan called her pretty.

 

“I’m glad to hear that because we need you for this plan to work.”


 

•••


 

Jaemin pushes the door to the first floor, just to collide with the food cart. The car doesn’t fall, though, but he does, taking three plates with him. His white shirt ends up with pasta all over it, and remains of chicken get in his hair.

 

“They--I’m sorry, Wendy and the princess escaped, Commander,” he spits out, her hands trembling. “I was escorting them here and I just--she did something to me, I swear!”

 

There are only five people in the room, but they all stand up, on guard.

 

Jongin looks at the other side of the room, spotting Karina against the wall.

 

“Doc, please ring the alarm. It’s straight through this hall, then at the end turn left. You’ll find it there.”

 

Karina tumbles front, supporting her weight against the table.

 

“And then?”

 

He seems to be thinking while sending the other three people to sweep the floors.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter