Friends

And Now You're Just A Memory...

Sana sat and stared at the couch where Dahyun had sat during their break up. Her eyes darted between the couch and the door where Dahyun had left. She didn’t know why she did it, it only brought back the painful memory of the break up.

Sana sighed as she dug out her phone from her pocket, she switched it on and stared at her lock screen for a moment. It was still a picture of her and Dahyun, Sana knew that she needed to change it at some point, but she just couldn’t. It was almost as if she thought that keeping Dahyun on her phone would make her come back. Sana knew better though, she knew that once Dahyun had made up her mind on something or someone then very rarely would it change.

Sana unlocked her phone and scrolled aimlessly through her social media timelines, nothing interested her though. It was all just pictures of her friends and their partners or random acquaintances that she had met via Dahyun, secretly Sana hoped that one of them would upload a picture of Dahyun with or without them, she just wanted to see that she was okay and still healthy. Dahyun had blocked Sana on all social media after their break up which hurt Sana a lot because it was like her way of saying that they couldn’t even be friends.

Sana stopped scrolling when she saw a picture of her four closest friends together in what looks like a local bar with the caption “missing our special one.” Sana frowned. Do they mean me? She wondered.

Ever since the break up, Sana hadn’t kept in contact with her friends, it wasn’t deliberate, it was just that she couldn’t handle any social interaction.

“Maybe I should give them a call,” Sana said to herself.

Sana was soon pulled out of her thoughts when she heard a knock on her apartment door. Instantly she jumped up, she was hoping that it would be Dahyun coming back to tell her that she’s sorry and made a mistake.

However she was greeted by her four closest friends. Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Mina and Momo.

Sana was slightly disappointed that it wasn’t Dahyun but she was happy to see her friends, it was quite a coincidence considering she was just about to give them a call.

“Are you going to let us in?” Nayeon asked.

“It’s cold outside, and we’re going to look weird if we just stand here.” Momo pointed out.

Sana nodded. “Of course, come in.” She smiled weakly at her friends and opened her door a little wider so that her friends could come in. Once they were all in Sana closed her door and joined her friends on the couch.

“How have you been?” Nayeon asked.

“We’ve missed you,” Jeongyeon added and the rest of the girls nodded.

“I’m sorry,” Sana sighed. “I’ve been awful at communicating with you guys… It’s just,” Sana paused as she tried to figure out what to say.

“It’s okay to say that you’ve been struggling, you know?” Mina told her softly.

“We won’t judge you,” Nayeon added.

Sana looked down. Sana hated telling people when she was struggling, she felt like a burden and would much rather fight it alone. She looked at her friends and could see the worry in their eyes, as much as Sana hated admitting when she was struggling, she also hated lying and could never lie to her friends.

“I’ve just… It’s been hard, you know?” She took a deep breath before continuing. “Ever since Dahyun broke up with me… Everything has been hard. Everything reminds me of her.” Sana looked at her friends who all nodded their heads sympathetically.

“I can’t imagine what you’re going through,” Jeongyeon started, “I don’t think any of us can.” The rest of the girls shook their heads in agreement.

“But… Ah, how do I word this?” Nayeon frowned as she paused for a moment, trying to figure out the right words to say. “It’s been two months, right?”

Sana nodded.

“Okay, I’m not going to tell you that you need to move on right away because you two were together for such a long time… But, maybe you could try to hang out or talk to us a bit more? Because right now, you’re pushing us away and that isn’t healthy. Of course, you know we’ll never leave you, but if you do it to other people then they’ll leave.” Nayeon explained.

Sana nodded again. She knew that Nayeon was right. She couldn’t keep pushing her friends away, it wasn’t fair to them. “You’re right, I’m sorry.” She apologised before adding; “I really do miss hanging out with you guys, you know?”

“And we miss you,” Mina replied.

“Say, my friend Tzuyu is coming to visit here for a few days… Why don’t we go out on a night out with her?” Momo suggested.

“I don’t know…” Sana sighed. “I haven’t been out for a long time. I’m kind of nervous about the idea.”

“Come on, you used to love going out!” Jeongyeon pleaded with her.

“You might even meet someone new,” Momo said without thinking. Her eyes widened when she realised what she had said and when she noticed the other four girls glaring at her. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to say that.” She apologised.

“Look, Sana, you’re never going to move on if you constantly stay in all the time.” Nayeon looked at Sana and tried to make eye contact with her. “If you get too nervous whilst we’re out then I promise, we’ll take you home.”

“And there will be no pressure for you to talk to anyone besides us,” Mina smiled at Sana before shooting a glare in Momo’s direction.

“Well, alright then… I guess one night out won’t hurt.” Sana sighed.

As much as she didn’t really want to go out, she didn’t want to let her friends down. After all they had been so patient with her over the past few months, the least she could do is go out with them for one night.

“Great!” Nayeon grinned. “We’ll text you the details.”

Jeongyeon checked the time on her watch. “I’ve gotta go, I’ve got work.”

The rest of the girls nodded and said the various things that they had to do during the day. Sana understood that her friends couldn’t stay all day, but she wished that they could stay for just another hour.

“Alright then,” Sana smiled weakly. Shaking the selfish thoughts out of her head. She walked her friends to her door before opening it for them. “I’ll see you guys soon! Thanks for visiting me.”

“You don’t need to thank us, Sana.” Nayeon kissed the top of Sana’s head. “We’re friends, and friends look after each other.”

Sana nodded. “You’re right, I’m just really grateful.”

Nayeon smiled at her, “and we’re grateful for you.” Nayeon then looked behind her and watched as the other three girls had already started walking towards their car. “Well, I better go. I’ll see you later, Sana.”

“Bye,” Sana nodded and watched as Nayeon walked away.

Sana felt a dull ache in her chest as she watched her friends walk away. She was alone again. Alone with her thoughts, and memories of Dahyun. She shook her head trying to get rid of the thoughts. She needed to focus on the positive things that had happened, her friends coming to visit her and the night out.

The night out which Sana was already regretting saying yes to.