The Break Up

And Now You're Just A Memory...

 

It had been two months since Dahyun had broken up with Sana. Two very long, lonely and painful months for Sana.

Sana sighed as she tossed her phone to the other side of her couch. She had been trying to distract her thoughts from Dahyun, but no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn’t forget her. Dahyun was stuck in her brain, even when she went out Sana would always link things with Dahyun, whether it was a restaurant they went to or a small cafe where they shared coffee. Dahyun was everywhere for Sana, Sana just couldn’t erase the memories with Dahyun from her mind.

How could she? They had been friends for years before they had started dating. They had a long history, full of ups and downs, but Sana wouldn’t change it for the world… Apart from their final conversation. That was something that would haunt Sana for the rest of her life.

It was their five year anniversary of dating. They had decided that rather than going out for a fancy meal to celebrate, they would stay at home and just enjoy each other's company.  It was supposed to be a happy day for them both, but it seemed that only Sana was happy. Dahyun was preoccupied by her thoughts. Sana could tell that something was wrong, Dahyun hadn’t been her usual affectionate self, instead she had been cold with her only giving her short answers and shrugging off any affection that Sana tried to give to her. Sana was hurt by her girlfriend's actions, and she wanted answers.

She looked at Dahyun who wasn’t even sitting next to her, instead she was seated on the chair opposite her. Dahyun didn’t even spare her a glance, she seemed to be too preoccupied by the wall. 

Sana cleared , trying to get Dahyun’s attention. Instead she got nothing. Dahyun was still staring at the same spot on the wall.

“Dahyun,” Sana called out her name softly. 

No response.

“Dahyun,” she called out her name a little louder this time.

Again, no response.

Sana was losing her patience, what was going on with her girlfriend? As Sana opened to call Dahyun’s name again, Dahyun broke out of her trance and looked at Sana. 

“I think,” Dahyun started, her voice low. There was a pause, as if Dahyun was trying to find the right words to say. Her eyes darted around the room, looking everywhere but at Sana. 

“You think what?” Sana asked, her frustrations were set aside and replaced with fear and anxiety. She had never seen Dahyun look so nervous, even when she asked her to be her girlfriend she didn’t look as nervous as she looks right now.

“Sana,” Dahyun took a deep breath. “I think we should break up.”

Sana blinked, and then let out a laugh. 

Dahyun stared at her in disbelief. 

Sana soon stopped laughing when she noticed how quiet Dahyun was. “You’re not joking?”

“Why would I joke about something so serious?” 

“Dahyun…” Sana didn’t know what to say, she was in shock. As far as she was aware they were happy, everything was fine. What could have happened to make Dahyun change her mind?

That’s when the jealousy came in. The delusions. Suddenly Sana went from feeling shocked to feeling angry, enraged even. Had Dahyun been cheating? Had she found another woman?

“So, who is it?” Sana spat without thinking.

Dahyun frowned. “Who is what?”

“Who’s the that you’ve been cheating on me with?”

“Excuse me?”

“Damn it, Dahyun!” Sana shouted in frustration. “Everything was fine between us until you decided that you wanted to break up with me out of the blue. Clearly the only explanation is that you’ve been cheating on me.”

Dahyun let out a bitter laugh and shook her head. “You really think that low of me?” Dahyun gritted her teeth. “You honestly think that I would be unfaithful to you? Sana, have you lost your ing mind?”

“Then why are you breaking up with me?” Sana shouted, she was furious. 

“Because,” Dahyun looked down. Her voice low again. “I don’t love you anymore.”

 That was it. Sana felt like she had been stabbed in the heart. She couldn’t control herself anymore as tears streamed down her face, her lips trembled as she tried to think of something to say. 

“I’m sorry, Sana.” Dahyun whispered as she felt tears trickle out of her eyes. “I never wanted this to happen.”

“How?” Sana sobbed. “How could you just fall out of love with me?”

“Because,” Dahyun gulped. “Because, I was never in love with you. I loved you, Sana. I really did. It’s just…” Dahyun could feel herself breaking, she didn’t even believe the words that were coming out of . Seeing Sana violently sobbing because of her made her feel sick. Dahyun couldn’t stay in the same room as Sana for much longer… In fact she couldn’t stay in the same apartment. Guilt was eating her up inside and Sana’s violent sobs were making it worse. 

“I’m going to go,” Dahyun said quietly.

“Don’t come back. I never want to see your face again, Dahyun.” Sana spat.

Dahyun nodded. “I’ll ask Chaeyoung to pick up my stuff. I’ll leave it to her to sort out a date and time.”

“Okay.”

Dahyun walked to the front door of the apartment. She turned and took one last look at Sana who was now on her knees, tears stained her face, violently trembling and letting out loud sobs. 

“I’m sorry, Sana.” Dahyun mumbled before leaving the apartment. Leaving Sana for good.