Jacket

Sweet as Sugar

It was almost midnight.

The house was too silent for Taemin's liking, even if tomorrow was Saturday. Jinki was out of town because of seminar. Jonghyun was visiting his family because today was his sister's birthday. Kibum pulled an all-nighter at the college with his friends because they had their fashion show project coming. And Minho...Taemin didn't know where Minho was.

The shows on the TV was very boring for Taemin. It was always boring that he rarely watched TV. He used to play some playstation games with Minho until late night.

Taemin dislike this weird feeling blossoming in his heart. Or mind. Or whatever.

It started after Minho got a job. Suddenly, the older guy seemed so far, so out of reach for Taemin. Like he abruptly turned into an adult, while Taemin was still the same clueless college student. Minho led a different life all of sudden, full of clients, meetings, and late night office dinner.

Maybe he just used to be together with Minho so much. They went to the same faculty, studied the same major. Taemin often got tutored by Minho, and they enjoyed studying together for the courses Minho needed to retake, which they took together in the end.

If someone told Taemin he would be very close to Minho like that when he first entered college, he would say the person was crazy.

Taemin still remembered the first time he got involved with Minho. At that time, he still stayed at the college dorm (which from he moved out months later to this boarding house per Minho's recommendation). Taemin was clueless, he wasn't from Seoul. He was an introvert, and very shy to new people. So he was busy adapting to his new college life, studying hard and never had any interests joining his fellow friends hyping the handsome, athletic senior named Choi Minho. But of course, he knew him and he saw him a few times. He just didn't think it was worth of his interests.

One day their faculty had this annual, sport event after his first mid-term exams. Unfortunately (or fortunately in the end), Taemin was in the same group of Minho. Taemin actually wasn't bad at sports himself. He was a fast runner. It just seemed he was in a bad luck that day. He was already ready to go to the field, when he found out his left shoe was bitten by mouse (one of the strongest reason Taemin moved out of the dorm, like he didn't want to be haunted by the evil, tiny creature everyday). He didn't have any sport shoes left, neither did his roommate. So he rushed to the nearest sports store, which wasn't that near, and sacrificing his limited pocket money to buy a pair of brand new shoes. Then he rushed back at the college, kept assuring himself it was worth his money, only to be welcomed by the sour-faced Choi Minho because of his tardiness. His already horrible mood darkened.

It got worse because the new shoes wounded his feet. But Taemin still tried to participate in the competitions diligently. Sadly, his bad performance seemed to tick off his ambitious, sport-freak senior named Choi Minho. So at the very last, at the marathon, Taemin made his group lost because he arrived last.

The Choi Minho exploded.

"It doesn't matter how well you study when you don't value the hardwork of your teammates! Coming late, doing everything half-heartedly and then you walked! You ing walked when your teammates forced their legs to run even when they had no energy left. Aren't you embarassed of yourself?!"

So Taemin cried. Taemin rarely cried but when he was treated unfairly, tears just fell down by themselves. He bit his lips hard to stop his sobbing but his tears just kept falling.

Everyone freaked out. They tried to comfort Taemin but it was no use because once Taemin cried, it was hard to stop.

Before Taemin excused himself, he could see how Choi Minho froze over there. But he didn't care, so he left the scene, walking limpingly as his sobs finally broke out.

But , that was embarassing.

Taemin was kicking himself when he finally managed to calm himself down in an empty classroom.

Seriously, who cried like that in college? Taemin drowned his face on his palms in embarassment. He should have tried to explain. Hell, no, he should have shouted back. Yet he acted like a baby instead, crying and running like that.

As if the day wasn't terrible enough, the storm came and most of the students were trapped in the building, with no electricity. As it was dangerous to be outside, they were instructed not to leave, and waited until it stopped. Most of the students huddled together with their friends in other classrooms, but Taemin chose to be alone in the current classroom because he wasn't ready to face anyone.

Taemin didn't know how long he had waited. It was dark and he was hungry and cold with his feet was still hurting and his phone died, while the storm didn't seem to stop soon.

And he just fell asleep like that.

When he woke up, it was already morning.

He realized he had fallen asleep snuggling at the corner of the classroom. His body felt stiff, but strangely warm.

Taemin blinked, realizing a big, much bigger than his size, jacket was drapped over his body. It smelt good.

"Ah, you're awake."

The voice startled Taemin, and he was more surprised finding Minho was sitting on the floor, back leaning on the wall not far from him. The older guy smiled hesitantly.

Taemin was really lost in words, even when Minho shuffled closer to him.

"This need to be treated," Minho said as he took Taemin's feet on his lap, and Taemin just realized that the older guy had been hugging a small first aid box all this time.

There was an awkward silent because Taemin just lost his words. The Choi Minho who was very angry with him yesterday was treating his wounded feet carefully. This must be a dream...

The silence was broken when out of sudden, Minho quietly said, "I'm sorry..."

"Pardon me?" was the first words Taemin spoke that day.

"I didn't know your feet was hurting all day yesterday."

Taemin couldn't see Minho's expression, because he kept his head down while his hands were still busy with Taemin's wound, but Taemin could see how he sighed deeply by the movement of his shoulder.

"I'm sorry for shouting at you and acting like a jerk," this time, Minho looked up and his big eyes just so sincere looking at Taemin's.

Suddenly, everything around Taemin revolved around this guy, the smell from his jacket, the touch on his feet, the soft voice of his apology, and the stare from his eyes.

 

 

 

Taemin woke with a start. He blinked a few times, adjusting his eyes to the bright light. Taemin's hand found its way to his hair, messing it.

He had fallen asleep on the couch.

But it was weird, the sound from TV was gone and he was warm.

Taemin slowly sat up, finding that someone had already turned the TV off. A black, suit jacket slid off his body. Taemin took it and hugged it closer. There was a hint of alcohol smell, but it was warm.

"Oh, you're awake."

Taemin's head immediately turned to the source of the voice, and he found him there. Freshly showered, smiling at him warmly.

Clutching on the jacket, Taemin smiled back, "Hyung, you're back."

Some things did change, but some other things stayed the same.

 

 

 


 

 

I dreamt of the first scene years ago, but it's too sweet that I can't forget it. Then I dreamt of the second scene last night. Both has the same vibes so I just need to combine it.

Sometimes I had too many weird dreams.

Sorry if this too cringy TT

 

XOXO