What is and What isn’t

All About Timing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Momo

"So let me get this straight," Yeri says to me first thing Monday's morning practice. "You went on a date last week?"

I whip my head towards her, then turn to see if anyone else heard. Unfortunately, it's a small group and we've pretty much gotten everyone's attention. "Who told you that?" I whisper. 

"Are you kidding? Everyone around the school is trying to figure out who it is," She says, not bothering to lower her voice at all. She even looks around at the others to back up her claim. "Who could have finally gotten through to the untouchable Hirai Momo."

"It's not like that," I say sitting down to stretch, just to have something to do with my hands.

"So it's just a rumor?" Yeri says, following my lead. A couple of others join us in a circle. 

'I'm gonna kill Harito'

"Because Hoseok works across the street at Giamundo, and he said he saw you with some girl out in front of Kaze`, a couple of times actually." Jimin inserts, nodding at J-Hope for confirmation. "But he didn't recognize her." 

"Wait, Hoseok saw me?" My eyes dart to the lead male dancer and he simply shrugs as if he hasn't just made a huge mess for me.

"Yeah, was there someone else who knew about this date?" Jimin says, smiling slyly. 

"It wasn't a date," I say quickly. "I was just meeting up with someone."

"Well, according to J-Hope, it looked like a date."

"He hasn't said anything to anyone else has he?" I say, frowning at Hoseok. He looks away, refusing to meet my eyes. 

"You're kidding right?" Yeri jumps back in. She throws her head back, laughing. "You're asking if Jung Hoseok can keep a secret."

My frown deepens. "Hey, cheer up." Yeri continues. "Everyone was starting to think you took a vow of celibacy or something. A little drama isn't so bad." She says putting a hand on my shoulder. 

I shake it off and return to my stretching, determined to ignore them all. "I need to focus, I don't have time for any drama."

"Apparently you have time for dinner, with someone we don't even know." Jimin insinuates, getting to his feet.

"Come on. I said it's not like that. Besides, it's not like I have no social life." I say getting up as well.

Yeri follows suit. "Fine, but I want to know everything about this person who you're not dating." 

"Okay, but it was a one-time thing. She's just a friend of my mom's. She's new in town, and I was asked to show her around." I lie hoping I sound convincing. 

Hoseok doesn't look like he buys it."So you took her to a 5-star restaurant that usually precludes a serious relationship," he asks.

"It was the only good place to eat I could think of. Besides, I love their cheese bread."

Yeri hums suspiciously. She's looking at me like I just tricked her. 

The other people in the room are looking at me expectantly, too. I clear my throat and clap twice. "Well, that's enough warming up. Let's start practice."

~~~

Momo

For the rest of the day, I have to deal with the stares of people too nosy to mind their own business and acquaintances asking dumb questions like if the rumors are true. I've heard at least twenty different versions of what happened on Friday, and honestly, this is why I don't date. I try to focus in class, but people keep passing notes. To me and each other. It's all very annoying. 

Then there are the propositions, invitations, confessions. Whatever you want to call them. They're annoying as hell and I haven't had to deal with them since I announced my intentions for everyone when we were in sixth grade. I didn't want to be in a relationship then, and I don't want one now. But one misleading rumor and it's open season for these vultures. 

I know some people are being genuine, but when strangers come up to me, what do they expect? It's harder with people I'm closer to, so I try to be more considerate. But it's still annoying, though.

"Um, hi Momo," Liappon walks up to me when I'm grabbing books from my locker before fourth period. He was being weird at practice this morning and he's being weird now. Either way, I have a good idea where this is going. We're the only ones in the hall at the moment. It's a perfect ambush.

"Hi Ten," I can't help the strain in my voice. He's got to be the fiftieth one.

"I was… a… just wondering if you're free this Saturday," he starts and I have to fight not to roll my eyes. "I know a really cool coffee shop we could go to…"

"Wait, uh… you mean like on a date?" I ask, shifting uncomfortably. I know what he means, but I wish he'd deny it. I wish he wouldn't do this to begin with. "I already told you, I'm not looking--"

"I just thought… I heard you went out with someone." Of course you did. "Then, that you weren't seeing them, so I thought… I just thought--"

"Sorry, I'm still not ready to start anything with anyone."

"Sorry," he says, shifting awkwardly. "I'll see you later then." He sulks off.

"Bye." I sigh and lean against my locker. The day's only barely halfway over. I don't think I can keep going like this.

~~~

Momo

Lunchtime is my saving grace. I get to eat and not have to think about how stupid everyone's being today. Plus, Harito dropped off a box of bulgogi and dumplings with sweet rice. I can almost pretend it's a turning point in my day. I drown out the ruckus of the cafeteria and enjoy my meal. My free, possibly very expensive, and well-chosen, meal.

I've barely gotten through the wrapping when Sana plops down in front of me, followed by Chaeng and Dubu. Tzuyu brings up the rear.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Sana looks kind of annoyed which is odd since we haven't seen each other all day and she's usually as happy for lunch as I am. What's also odd is the stupid grins Chaeyoung and Dahyun are giving me. Tzuyu is unbothered as usual, but she's looking at me expectantly. 

This can't be good.

"Tell you what?" I ask, going back to my food.

"That you're secretly seeing the wife of a tech startup owner." Sana leans in when she says this, but she doesn't whisper. "You're too young to be involved in an affair."

How odd. I've heard what she's said, but I really can't understand it.

"What, no way," I turn when Dahyun starts speaking, hoping someone will make sense. Of course, that hope is misplaced. "I heard you're eloping with the daughter of some oil baron so she doesn't have to marry her cousin.

Oil barrel?

"Geez that's ridiculous," Chaeyoung interjects, slamming her palm on the table as if we weren't all listening. "Obviously, she's seeing the CEO of some ultra-wealthy food chain that she's made her sugar mommy."

Too far.

"Whoa, pause. What the hell are you guys talking about?" I say. 

"Oh, don't play coy with me, Hirai." Sana gets up to sit next to me, throwing her arm around my shoulder. "The whole school's talking about it."

I pointedly remove her arm and look them in the eye sternly. One by one. "If you mean the girl I'm supposedly going out with. Like I've been saying all day, it's not like that." I fail to keep the annoyance out of my voice. "She's a friend of my mom's and--"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Chaeyoung cuts me off. "So, Jung Sen said that Taeyeon told him that she was mad y and twice your age."

Just like that, I'm at a loss for words again. "Wha? That's not--"

"I heard you guys have been going out for two years and just got caught. Momo you sly dog, you," Dahyun joins.

"Shut up, and stop repeating dumb rumors," I say exasperated. "Will you fools listen to what I'm saying."

"But you're gonna say something lame and boring," Dahyun goes on.

"Yeah, can't you just say you are her mistress," Chaeyoung says. 

"Why would I agree to say that?" I ask, rubbing my temples. I'm starting to get a headache.

"Because it's hilarious," Dahyun says, chuckling with Chaeyoung. 

"No, it's stupid and annoying. You guy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter