Contacting the Unknown

All About Timing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Momo

"Um… so… here you go," I say handing over 200$ to a random girl I've never met before. This has to be by far the most awkward situation I've ever been in, considering we're standing on a busy sidewalk in front of Kaze`, the most popular restaurant in town, and my arm is extended in some pseudo handshake. Except with the money I'm holding, it looks like I'm propositioning her. Or paying for services. Which is technically accurate. 

Regardless, the people who pass by and notice us, give me dirty looks, which I mean, I get. But, their eyes have nothing on the girl who was, at first, rightly confused when I walked up to her, given that I wasn't who she was expecting. Then mortified when I tried to shove the money into her hands. Then she was pissed, like next-level steaming. 

She grabs the collar of my sweater and yanks me around the corner and down an alley, stopping under an awning of the neighboring building. Away from any prying eyes.

"What the hell," she seethes, throwing me up against the wall. 

This violence is a far cry from what I was expecting when I walked up to this beautiful creature earlier. At first, I pegged her as the delicate type, but as I rub my sore shoulder I'm beginning to rethink that assumption. 

If I was nervous to show up before, now I'm terrified, and definitely regretting my acquaintance with my childhood douche of a neighbor. 

~~~

Flashback

"Look, I'll give you 200$ if you do this." Momia Harito begs Hirai Momo at 5:52 pm on Friday, Sep. 12. He's on his knees on her front porch and he's dressed in his Sunday best, scuffing her floorboards with his attempts to get her to indulge his insanity. 

"Get off my porch," is Momo's response as she turns to go back into her house. 

"Wait," Harito lunges, attaching himself to Momo's waist and burying his head into the dip in her back. "Please Momo, you gotta do this for me."

"The hell… ugh… let go." Momo shrieks, losing her balance. She catches herself on the door frame her nose was about to become one with. 

"I'll do anything you want I swear, just please…," Harito huffs out, fighting with Momo to keep her from shutting him out. "Come on, there has to be something you want."

"Not… huh… from… ugh you. Let go, you idiot."

"Please, please… I'll… I'll drive you to school, I'll clean your room and do your chores. I'll do your homework--"

"With your grades? I don't think so."

"I'll buy you lunch." For a moment there is a pause, where the entire world seems to stop, the sound of the rest of the neighborhood dims and the colors brighten with the possible new outcome. Harito holds his breath leaning into the moment. Then just like, reality floods back in and Momo tenses to continue her fight. Before she completely snaps out of it, Harito adds, "For a month. I'll buy you lunch for a whole month."

And just like that, Momo agrees to go on Harito's first date with this rent-a-girlfriend service.

More accurately, she'd agreed to go in his place and give his apologies for not being able to make it, and give his rent-a-date the fee with a little extra for her troubles.

The moron had planned the whole thing, forgetting he had a family event to attend tonight and ran over to Momo's door just as his family was getting into his dad's van.

So against her better judgment and for the sake of yoking Harito's wallet for all it was worth, Momo dresses and goes to meet a complete stranger. At least the place would be packed with people, and she wouldn't have to be alone with her. It'd be totally safe, right?

~~~

Momo did not feel safe.

Momo

"I'm sorry," I say, throwing my hands up in surrender. "I… I…" I stutter, unable to even look the girl in the eye.

She lets out a harsh sigh and begins to pace. Without the brunt of her focus, I find some courage to finally look up. She's taking huge steps from one side to the other, dragging her fingers through her hair. I kind of feel bad for messing up her evening, but only for a second. Then my arm throbs, and I find a tiny bit of satisfaction in her distress. 

That is, of course, until she turns back to me with tears in her eyes and enough remorse that I think I might drown.

When she rushes toward me, I can't help but shrink away. And her expression just about kills me. 

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. God, I didn't mean to push you that hard. Are you okay?" She says, reaching for my shoulder. Her touch is surprisingly gentle and warm.

"I'm okay," I say, trying to give her what I hope comes across as a reassuring smile. But her reaction is the opposite of what I was going for.

"Who are you," she asks cautiously, backing up, full of suspicion. 

Geez, her mood changes could cause whiplash.

"I'm… Momo. Sorry to surprise you like this, but you're Miss Im, right?" 

Instead of answering, the girl backs up further. She looks like she's gonna bolt. Without her money, no less.

While it shames me to admit this, the prospect of that outcome crosses my mind, but just barely. We all gotta get paid. But this is her money. And as the pain in my shoulder dulls, I don't see the need in bringing up hospital bills.

"You're here for Harito. He sent me 'cause he couldn't make it."

Miss Im regards me with doubt, but she no longer looks like she's leaving. Not yet at least.

"He said to give you this," I say, extending the envelope again. 

She steps closer to take it, scoffing. "Did he tell you to be obvious and attract unnecessary attention?"

"No," I say honestly. Really, I don't think I was the one attracting attention. My eyes move to take in Miss Im's outfit again. She really was dressed for the occasion. I feel outclassed next to her, but this isn't a date anyway, so…

"I've never gone on a rent-a-date before, so I don't know the way to do…" I gesture around us and to her. Mostly to her. "...this."

"Well first of all," she says, pocketing the money in her coat, "...this, is a date. Just like any other. The client and I just aren't dating. The event is the same as any other."

"But isn't there like a bunch of rules you have to follow, I mean, you get a huge stack of cash at the end, or maybe a fat check. What kind of normal date is that?" I argue.

She huffs in frustration, it's kind of cute actually. The way she folds her arms and puffs her chest, determined to make a point. I bite the inside of my cheek to fight off a sudden grin.

"I get paid when the date is over, not during. And as for rules… It's basically going at the pace that makes both sides comfortable. Like any first date." She nods emphatically like she's won an argument, and this time, I can't control my smirk. When she sees it, her eyes burn with righteous indignation. I just can't help myself. 

"And are they all first dates?"

Her left eye twitches just barely. But I see it. The muscles in her jaw feathers, and she turns away from me, back towards the street. 

She starts walking, but when she notices I'm not following, she stops. She only turns her head in my direction and doesn't look me in the eyes as she asks, "You coming?" 

"Coming?" I ask hesitantly. 

She sighs with impatience, turning to face me fully. "To eat."

For some reason, it takes me a while to understand what she's offering, and even when I think I might get it, I still have trouble believing it.

But it's not like she asked me out, out. It's just two perfect strangers, sitting in a fancy restaurant in each other's company without anyone else around. 

Aside from the other people around I mean.

I take in her appearance compared to mine. She's not wearing anything particularly flashy or outlandish, but my worn jeans and downy sweater with my faded sneakers aren’t compatible with her micro skirt, pastel cropped tee, and a jean jacket. She's wearing heels too. They're low but still give her an air of elegance that I'm sorely lacking. 

She seems to pick up on my thoughts of retreat because she moves closer making it hard for me to rush off.

"Don't worry about it. It's on me. Consider it a thank you, for… your trouble. "

I'm kind of at a loss here. On one hand, the prospect of food has been the one thing in my life that I make an avid point to strive for. On the other hand, that mentality is what landed me in this situation in the first place. And the last thing I wanted was to sit down for an hour with this woman I have no knowledge of and make small talk. So I'll say no. Of course, I'll say no.

"Okay," I nod softly. Internally banging my head on a mental wall.

~~~

Nayeon

Momia Harito is hot. And just my type. Except, he's supposed to be a he. A 6' he, with dark brown hair and a long face with sharp features. 

When I first see the girl with the midnight hair and aura, my first thought is, soft. Which is the exact opposite of what I pictured when I thought of Harito. For a second, I think I'm being catfished, but all my thoughts collapse when she tries to hand me the payment in the middle of the sidewalk. In front of so many eyes and ears. Not that what I do is illegal, but there is an unspoken understanding of privacy and confidentiality in my job, that one would think is common sense.

At first, I irrationally assume she's trying to shame me or something, by calling me out in public. Once I calm down a little and give her a chance to speak, the rational explanation as to why she was here, is in fact rational. Unremarkably so. Still, this is a first for me. I've never been stood up or canceled on, let alone had someone show up as a replacement. 

Personally, I think it would have been better to just reschedule our meeting, but it is his money. At least this way my night isn't wasted. Maybe that's why he sent her. Momo.

I guess I should thank Momia Harito. 

The reservation for Kaze` was made through the rental app under both of our names. Mine and Harito's, just in case. Our booth is at the back where the lighting is dimmer, but there are still plenty of people around. A comfort and precaution. A usual mood for the dates I go on. The clients usually think nothing of it, some even notice the effect and are reassured. This effect does not extend to Momo. Since the moment we left the alley, she's been a bundle of nerves. Speaking softly, shy. Not looking me in the eye. She even started addressing me as Miss Im. Which admittedly doesn't bother me as much as I find it cute and a nice change from where I thought this night would go. With us debating back and forth. Her, challenging my every word, and me, feeling the need to defend myself. 

But of course, her timid suspicious act isn't really contributing to the mood I'd planned for this evening. Besides, the whole point of the service was to make the client feel at ease; as if we were in a relationship. And while I suppose some first dates could be awkward, mine were not. 

I try to open her up with some basic and fun questions; about her favorite color, pets, hobbies, interests, anything to get her to relax. But her quick and stilted answers make it feel like more of an interrogation than a conversation. 

I answer my own questions since she doesn't ask any herself-- 'baby blue, a dog named KooKue, enjoy karaoke-ing and singing in general, taking a gap year.' I go down the list, and it feels so much like a one-sided conversation, I nearly thank the waiter when he comes back to take our order.

I continue talking until the food comes out, not letting silence settle even for a second. Eventually, Momo relaxes a bit and contributes more. I think it's so she doesn't have to answer any more of my questions, but I'm not complaining. I learn she has a love in her life, one that gives her purpose and strength. Dance. I focus the conversation on that, and she opens up more.

When the food finally arrives, her eyes light up in a way I haven't seen all night, but I can tell this is a recurring response, the way the joy settles so naturally on her face. I guess she has two loves.

She gives thanks for the meal then digs in without form or hesitation. I don't even think she remembers I'm here until she pauses for a second to look up at me. She swallows the mass in her cheeks with effort then asks, "Aren't you eating?" 

O

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter