Little Witcher

Little Witcher

Taemin grumbles under his breath as he treks up the hill to his destination. The job he's taken for King Onew of Gyeonggi Province should have been simple enough but unfortunately things don't go his way.

The town's apothecary just so happens to ran out of wolfsbane. Coincidence or not, when he presses for information the herbalist threw their guidebook at him and point him to the hill to forage the plant himself. He wouldn't have time to argue as he's on a time limit. Tonight is a full moon.

When he reaches the clearing, he discovers someone has beat him to it.

“Aren't you a little small for a Witcher?”

Taemin bites the inside of his mouth, wouldn't do well to insult a sorcerer let alone have a loose tongue in the presence of King Onew's favored and infamous adviser.

Taemin stiffly nods his head and greets him. “Adviser Key, to what do I have the pleasure?”

Sorcerer Key of Daegu is known for his capricious nature among the magical circles. He's a prodigy of his generation and wouldn't hesitate to lash out for even the most minor offense. Everyone, even other mages have to be careful what they say around him. The only one who seems to be exempt from that rule is King Onew.

Taemin's interactions with Key had been sporadic and brief. He was only passing through when a messenger from King Onew personally invited Taemin to come. He was generously given room and board at the castle for the entirety of his stay in exchange for taking on jobs. Key had been beside King Onew through much of their interaction but he never said anything. Only watching Taemin like a cat assessing their prey.

Key idly flicks his fan in hand, watching Taemin with hooded eyes on the bedrock he situated himself on. “I heard you took only half the payment the king promised you for this job,” he mildly says. “Does that mean you're interested in his proposal?”

“No,” Taemin immediately says, his eyes narrow gauging for Key's intent. “The king is too generous. I only accept the rate I am owed. Not more, not less.”

Key hums. “People would think you're a fool for not accepting the king's generosity.” His fan opens and closes, tapping against his palm. “Then again, if you had accepted the payment, we wouldn't be having this conversation.”

Taemin bites the inside of his cheek, feeling mildly irritated for the time wasted on chit chat. He moves to take a side step when a gust of gale cuts in front of him. It cuts into the tree and ground, it would have amputated and disfigured him.

Key clicks his tongue at him, his position is the same like he hasn't moved at all. “Leaving in the middle of a conversation, little witcher? I thought the guild taught you better."

Taemin breathes out through his nose, levels an annoyed look at Key. “Please excuse my rudeness but I am short on time.”

“Don't worry. I have everything you need, that is... if you'll indulge my curiosity.”

Taemin had stiffened himself when he sees Key takes out a sachet. With his enhanced sense of smell he identifies the contents as wolfsbane. That's why the apothecary ran out. If his guess is good, then the place he plans to go forage for wolfsbane is cleared as well.

Key tosses the small bag up and down, any sudden move would make the herbs unusable. An implied threat if he doesn't play along.

Taemin sighs. “What is it adviser Key wishes to know?”

Key smirks, floats down gracefully from the bedrock like a leaf falling from a tree and makes his way towards him. “This humble one is merely curious of the little Witcher,” he mildly says. “Didn't get a chance to talk to you at the banquet last night.”

Which was on purpose. Although King Onew invited him, he wasn't that overly interested. Especially when the people present at the banquet eyes him with wariness and fear. He was only interested in the food and drinks, made himself scarce the whole night.

The distance between them closes as Key measures Taemin,

“Witchers are known for their imposing height and build,” Key's eyes roving his body judgingly. “They were genetically modified and were practically extinct since the purge many years ago. You're not much taller than me nor older... had I been ignorant I would have thought you to be a child playing dress up.”

Taemin feels he's getting to the end of his patience. “What's my height got to do anything?” If Key hadn't been wearing heels, he wouldn't have claim such.

“Don't be so sensitive,” Key flippantly says. “You look quite young to be in this profession. It's the reason why the king has taken such an interest in you. Surely you won't consider his proposal?”

King Onew had invited Taemin to join his kingdom as an official member of his clan. He would be given his own wing at the castle, access to the kingdom's resources, given the king's protection, refuge, and authority. He would never have to worry about wandering the land, finding food to eat, or sleeping outdoors.

He was offered a place to call home.

Taemin gives a side glance. “Not interested.”

Key had come even closer, almost sharing the same air. The intoxicating scent of camellia with a hint of omija wafts to his nose, the scent seems strongest coming from Key's exposed collarbone. His hanbok styled to be loose yet form fitting, elegant designs wrapped around him. Unlike the common style of high waisted and covered collars, Key stands out and deviates from the norm, his looks enticing the most stubborn creature.

Key breathes in deeply, makes eye contact with Taemin with a smoldering look, firelights dance in his eyes. “I could teach you things that little Witcher school wouldn't dare to put in their curriculum,” his voice takes on a seductive trance. “I would be able to service you with all your need. I'll even let you call me... hyung.”

A tempting offer not for just the benefits the king endows, but also having a mage in their pockets. And to have Key, the prodigy of his generation, to be at beck and call. The infamous adviser that kept Onew's kingdom as the most promising and formidable kingdom in the land.

Anyone would take the offer without hesitation.

The position Key puts him in forces Taemin not to look away. He closes his eyes as if he's considering the offer, opens them not that long and answers. “No.”

Key huffs under his breath amused, he withdraws and suddenly it feels the air is easier to breathe. “Good.” Key puts himself at arms distance from Taemin, the seductive aura around him withdraws. “If you had taken the offer I would have killed you right on the spot,” Key fans himself leisurely. “We can't afford to feed that appetite of yours and deal with the consequences.”

It's harsh but the implied meaning in his words are clear. If a kingdom were to officially house a witcher it would paint a target on their backs to other kingdoms. There were so few witchers in the first place and it would either lead to an arms race or complete annihilation. Politics plays a role which Taemin is not interested in and was the main reason why he declined the offer in the first place. Whether he gets involved or not in the end it would not be his choice if he takes the offer.

Key has the sachet of wolfsbane dangle by its drawstring precariously in his hand. “What a curious creature you are, little witcher,” swings the little bag leisurely. “As a bonus I'll let you have the little herbs and more you can answer my question.”

Taemin is literally this close to hacking the mage from where he stands. Screw the herbs and the time wasted. He could feel his annoyance reaching his peak but he forces himself to calm down and listen to the mage.

“King Onew wants you to do a wellness check on his right-hand knight,” Key rubs his thumb against the sachet's fabric. “The knight in question has sent a letter saying he hasn't been feeling well and plans to return to his mother's residence to take care of her. Coincidentally two weeks ago the knight was part of the platoon sent to take care of bandits and beasts that have plague the kingdom's outskirts. There weren't many casualties but the knight in question had been bedridden from his injuries.”

Key locks eyes with Taemin, the playfulness momentarily disappears. “Since this is only a wellness check, why did the little witcher decided to take a detour to painstakingly procure this herb? Wolfsbane to be exact.”

Taemin knows Key is well aware of the answer. Does the high adviser of King Onew have that much time on his hands to play with him?

“There have been accounts of wolves at the kingdom's outskirts,” Taemin explains. “Although the issue has been solved the villagers noted there were howls of beasts deep in the forest, particularly during the full moon. But none have been sighted.”

“And you suspect the knight has been cursed?” Key huffs with amusement. “But you don't know that. What are you going to do? Kill the monster?”

“Cure him,” Taemin replies. “That's why I need the wolfsbane.”

“And what if you can't?”

“I'd still try.”

Key hums, holding the little sachet between his fingers. “The knight Minho has been King Onew's personal guard. He has a stubborn temperament who knows full well to come to me for a cure as soon as possible before the curse completely sets in. Chances of becoming a werewolf from a bite are very slim in reality but with his luck its possible.”

Taemin could only ponder. Does the mage and knight have a...

The wolfsbane was suddenly tossed in his direction, causing him to fumble in surprise. The sachet felt heavier than expected in his hands.

“Wolfsbane can only mitigate the illness's symptoms so I added something extra free of charge,” Key explains. “It'll work only when he is on the cusp to transform so the timing is important.”

Taemin clutches the sachet with both hands and bows his head. “Many thanks, esteemed adviser.”

“Let me know how it works out, this is the first time I made something like this,” Key gives a side smile and opens his fan. “I wouldn't blame you if you're forced to kill him though. That man has been an eye sore and gets on my nerves so you'll be doing me a favor. I'll even cover for you and take care of the body.”

At his admission Taemin casts a doubtful look at the sachet Key just gave him. He can't open it and judging by scent alone there is something else other than wolfsbane he can't identify. Would using the herbs cause more harm than good?

But Key doesn't seem the type even with whatever is going on between him and the knight.

Taemin tucks the sachet away. “Why are you helping me?”

“Ever heard don't look a gift horse in the mouth?” Key clicks his tongue. “I rather not get my hands dirty fighting a werewolf otherwise I might actually kill him.”

Taemin gives another bow. “I'll be on my way then.”

Taemin turns on his heels to leave the clearing but Key's voice causes him to pause.

“You do know that King Onew's offer was genuine right? He doesn't have any hidden intentions when he wants you here.”

Taemin knows and its not made out of pity. King Onew's kindness is rare in this world, targeted by evil and ruthless people. He couldn't lie there was a part of him that wants to take Onew's offer. To finally have a place call home. But he knows better than to take it.

“Better get going, little witcher. It's getting dark very soon.”

 


 

Continuation I wish I can write: Taemin successfully cures werewolf Minho back into a normal human who wants to pay him back. Taemin declines and decides to invoke the Law of Surprise to get Minho off his back. When he returns to report back to the king, Onew is pleased to find out Minho is ok. He decides that since Taemin wouldn't stay in his kingdom he would have Minho to accompany Taemin on his travels. Minho eagerly accepts to be loyal to Taemin until death and unfortunately Taemin can't reject due to the Law of Surprise. Key decides to tag along to see how this turns out.

Omake Continuation I wish I can write: The thing Key gave to Taemin is a magical beaded necklace embeded with wolfsbane. The necklace allows Minho to be concious and in control when he gets turned into a werewolf during a full moon and is allowed to use his werewolf traits as a human. Unfortunately Taemin uses it on Minho not knowing what it really is, causing Minho to be magically bonded to him (like inuyasha). Nobody is happy with the outcome except for Key whose cackling over Minho finally being collared like a dog. Since Minho isn't completely cured he can't return to the kingdom and is forced to accompany Taemin on his travels until he can be cured.

Both continuations somehow ended up as 2min even though this is a Key/Taemin pairing. (^_^;) In both continuations Key accompanies them to flirt/teach Taemin and they ended up in many risquey situations. And maybe they will end up in a but that's a completely different fic.

If anyone is wondering where Jonghyun is, he's a bard living the high life in Onew's castle.

"Toss a comment to your author, Oh, valley of plenty, Oh, valley of plenty"~

I welcome anyone to continue this idea if they want. Just let me know~