Chapter 6

Lovers in Manila

 

 

Chapter 6

 

Fisherman’s Wharf

San Francisco, CA

 

The sunny weather and cool bay breeze were paired up beautifully as Piolo and Seohyun walked out of the parking structure and joined the sidewalks filled with tourists. The air was mixed with kettle cooked popcorn and the saltiness of the sea. Seohyun giggled as she observed Piolo’s amazement to the area. Seohyun spoke up.

 

“I guess you’ve always wanted to come here, huh?”

 

“Absolutely!”

 

“I don’t come here as often as I should but when I do, it’s always fun.”

 

“I believe you.”

 

Piolo began to scan through the souvenir shops as Seohyun followed close behind. She opened her cell phone to read over Sarah’s last-minute message. Sarah wrote:

 

“Sorry Seohyun! I wanted to make it but something came up! Enjoy your day with my cousin! He’s sweet so give him a chance, alright? Love ya! –Sarah”

 

Seohyun sighed and felt a bit annoyed by Sarah’s hidden tactic to hook her up with Piolo. She has been notorious for being Seohyun’s matchmaker. As she closed her phone, Piolo walked out with a pair of shiny, Aviator sunglasses.

 

“What do you think, Seohyun? I’m pretty swag, right?”

 

Seohyun looked at him for a moment then burst out laughing.

 

“Swag! My goodness, Piolo! You crack me up!”

 

Piolo blushed and removed the shades.

 

“Was it that funny?”

 

“I’m kidding, Piolo, keep them on…they look cool…”

 

Piolo smiled and placed them back on. Seohyun observed him as he casually picked through the numerous souvenir shops’ knick-knacks. She found his naivety to this newfound city cute and refreshing. Piolo picked out a couple of bland colored souvenir shirts displaying the logo of the Golden Gate Bridge and turned to Seohyun.

 

“Presents for the family back home…”

 

“Ok, how nice…”

 

Piolo quickly walked up to the cashier and purchased the articles of clothing. Seohyun approached Piolo as he took his bag.

 

“Are you hungry? Want to try some bread bowl soup?”

 

“Sure, why not?”

 

Seohyun watched with amazement as Piolo finished his second bowl of soup. He looked up to Seohyun with a chunk of bread hanging on the edge of the mouth. Seohyun pulled it off and smiled.

 

“I didn’t know you were that hungry, Piolo…”

 

Piolo laughed and wiped his mouth with a napkin.

 

“Sorry about that but the soup is REAL good plus these pieces of bread used as a bowl is pretty sweet…”

 

“It is, isn’t it?”

 

Piolo looked to Seohyun and could tell her mind was drifting somewhere else.

 

“I noticed you have been pretty quiet since we’ve arrived…if there’s somewhere else you need to be, I understand…”

 

“Oh no, I’m sorry…there’s been a lot running through my mind these past few days but I don’t want to bog you down with my worthless worries…”

 

Piolo moved the food aside and rested his elbows on the table.

 

“Try me…I’ll listen…”

 

Seohyun lightly smiled at Piolo and could tell by his eyes he was sincere.

 

“Well, a lot has happened since we last saw each other…”

 

“Definitely…”

 

“After leaving Manila, I was high-spirited and ready to accomplish the tasks that was before me…like my teaching degree…”

 

“I remember…”

 

“Well, I did…but…things grew complicated…especially for my father…”

 

“I see…”

 

“The bills in the hospital grew insurmountable and my savings was taking a real beating…we ultimately decided to get him out and nurse him back at my aunt’s place…where he still is actually…but I’m still left with the huge debt from the hospital…”

 

“What about health insurance?”

 

“We did have it…but it wasn’t enough to pay for all the additional chemotherapy and medications…I’m still paying that off too…”

 

“I understand the burden of debt…”

 

“I had to leave, Piolo…I had to escape…I was slowly dying at home so I got back into contact with your cousin, Sarah…she took care of me when I first arrived and helped me find work…I went through a temp agency where they found work for me as a substitute teacher…its not the best pay but it helps…”

 

Piolo watched as Seohyun looked towards her hands. He could tell she had been through a lot and was still struggling to make ends meet. Piolo touched her hand.

“Seohyun, we’re in the same boat, you know?”

 

“Really?”

 

“I didn’t travel to the States to be happy and have bread bowls all day…I came here to work as well so I can help my family back home…in the Philippines…finding a job there is like finding a needle under the Coral Sea…nearly impossible…”

 

“I see…”

 

“My father lost his overseas job and my sister is a single mother now…there’s real no income coming in so I have to take responsibility…thankfully Yun Ho stepped in…”

 

“He did?”

 

“With his connections, he was able to expedite my immigration paperwork that was filed by my Aunt May years ago…I am indebted to him…”

 

“Life is truly interesting…”

 

“It is…”

 

They both turned and enjoyed the view of the San Francisco Bay and the archaic, lonely image of Alcatraz. Seohyun took a deep breath and looked to Piolo.

 

“Let’s not get too put down by our situations…”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“Let’s go over to see the sea lions!”

 

Piolo reluctantly let Seohyun pay for the bill and they joined the huge crowd surging towards Pier 39. Seohyun led the way as Piolo followed close behind, looking at every direction to absorb the attractions. They walked up the steps and followed the creaky wooden floors leading to the popular Pier 39 sea lions. They arrived and squeezed in between several large men to get to the railing to have a closer look of the enormous creatures. Seohyun pointed.

 

“Look at that one! It’s yawning!”

 

Piolo looked over towards the yawning sea lion and laughed.

 

“Wow, his mouth his huge! A small car can fit in there!”

 

“I know right?”

Seohyun and Piolo continued to laugh together as they pointed out the funniest looking sea lion. They looked at each other and both agreed they needed a day out like this and that even in the worst situations; there was still time to smile and enjoy life.

 

Later That Evening

 

Seohyun’s cute little Prius pulled up towards Sarah’s house. They were both exhausted from their day out together and getting some sleep was beginning to grow more and more desirable. They were both quiet as Seohyun shut the lights. They both stared at Sarah’s huge suburban home. Piolo slowly spoke up.

 

“Thanks for taking me out, Seohyun…”

 

“You’re welcome…”

 

“It’s funny how you’re my guide now…”

 

Seohyun lightly laughed.

 

“It is…”

 

They both turned and stared intimately at each other. Seohyun struggled to uphold her storybook love for Kyuhyun. After not seeing him or hearing from him for two years, it seemed impossible that their relationship could ever progress. Her hopes for romance were replaced with loneliness and sorrow. Yet, with Piolo’s surprising return to her life, her hope for romance was beginning to reignite.

 

“Goodnight Seohyun…”

 

Piolo slowly leaned forward and kissed her on the cheek. Seohyun felt his warm lips make contact with her tender cheeks and felt a jolt of electricity run through her body. Piolo eased back and smiled. He unlocked his door and let himself out. Seohyun watched as Piolo walked through the entranceway, took his key out and let himself in. Seohyun slowly turned and looked straight ahead. She was beginning to realize her chance for love was right before her yet she hesitated.

 

“I don’t know…”

 

Piolo was the kindest and most gentle person she’s ever met. The whole day, he made her feel warm and appreciated. Yet, something still lingered deep in her heart. A curiosity that still bothered her every night. She knew Kyuhyun would be arriving to San Francisco soon and if they saw each other she needed to know if it was truly meant to be.

 

Seoul, Korea

 

The rain was pouring down heavily as the production for the drama, “Lovers in San Francisco,” was shooting the dramatic scene where Kyuhyun and Tiffany say their tragic goodbyes before Tiffany left for San Francisco. Kyuhyun stood quietly looking at the set. Jiyeon approached him and tapped him on the shoulder.

 

“Kyuhyun, are you thirsty?”

 

She held up a bottle of water.

 

“Thanks…”

 

“It’s been two weeks since we started shooting for this drama, how are you feeling about it?”

 

“The story is nice and we get to visit a lot of locations…with Donghae’s huge budget and Ryewook directing…we’re in for a giant payday…yet I’m struggling with the chemistry of the cast…”

 

“Really?”

 

“I never liked working with Choi Siwon because well…he’s handsome and smart…he’s my rival in this business so that keeps me on the edge and out of my comfort zone…”

 

“I see, well that should make for some good acting in the long run right?”

 

“Very true, he brings the best out of me…”

 

“That’s good…”

 

“Yet, he’s not who I’m truly worried about…”

 

“Who is it?”

 

“That newbie…Tiffany…she’s not really good…”

 

Jiyeon looked across the set and saw Tiffany getting prepared for the scene. She was cheerful and loud.

 

“What do you mean, Kyuhyun?”

 

“She’s like a little girl in a toy store…very immature and unprofessional…what she lacks as an actor is life experience…”

 

“I see…”

 

“She is simply…pretending…to truly harness the essence of acting…you have to remember a particular experience that will make the acting…believable…Tiffany is not believable…I really don’t know what Donghae sees in her but that’s beyond me…”

 

Jiyeon saw Kyuhyun was truly serious about his role in the drama. Usually, he was arrogant and showy but this time he seemed like a real actor. The director spoke into his microphone.

 

“Alright everyone, this scene is important for the story so I expect everyone to do their best and be professional…everyone please get into their spots…”

 

Kyuhyun turned to Jiyeon and smiled.

 

“Wish me luck, kid…”

 

He touched her face and entered the rainy scene. She watched him closely and whispered.

 

“Good luck, my love…”

 

Tiffany joined Kyuhyun on the set and found the rain annoying.

 

“Why does it have to be in rain?”

 

“This is where our character part ways and the rain is supposed to illustrate the tragedy of their sad goodbye…”

 

Tiffany brushed back her wet hair.

 

“Whatever…let’s just do this…”

 

Kyuhyun was irritated by her attitude but decided to let it go. The crew got into their places.

 

“LOVERS IN SAN FRANCISCO, TAKE 3!”

 

Kyuhyun entered his character and stared deeply into Tiffany’s round eyes.

 

“Mi Young…I don’t know if I could live without you…”

 

Tiffany bit her lip.

 

“Ji Soo…I must leave…if I don’t…then I will never able to reach my dream of being a singer…”

 

“Miyoung…don’t leave me! Please…”

 

Tiffany turned and began to walk away but Kyuhyun reached for her arm.

 

“Ji Soo, please don’t make it harder than it has to be…”

 

Kyuhyun stared deeply into her eyes and began to remember Seohyun’s eyes as she stared up at him from the hotel bed. He remembered her sweet whispers into his ear.

 

“Kyuhyun…don’t leave me…”

 

Kyuhyun sighed deeply and leaned over to kiss Tiffany. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her forward. Kyuhyun placed his lips on Tiffany’s. Suddenly, Kyuhyun felt a tingling on his tongue. Jiyeon gasped behind the crew.

 

“What the…”

 

The dramatic kiss turned into a deep, torrid tongue play from Tiffany. Kyuhyun grabbed her shoulders and pushed her away.

 

“What are you doing, Tiffany?”

 

“CUT!!!”

 

Ryewook hopped off his chair and walked on the set.

 

“Kyuhyun, what’s the meaning of this?”

 

“That girl needs to practice kissing…this isn’t some adult film!”

 

“We have been stuck on this scene for the past two days! It’s just a kiss!”

 

“No! In a moment like this, a kiss should be sad and bittersweet…not too much or too little but HER! She’s eating my FACE!”

 

Tiffany laughed.

 

“Are you serious? Don’t pretend you don’t like it, you fool!”

 

Kyuhyun walked up to Tiffany and brought his face close to hers.

 

“Tiffany, don’t test me, you brat!”

Tiffany her lips and stared him down.

 

“You don’t scare me…you’re like any other man I’ve met…weak when it comes to women…”

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes.

 

“Donghae! Ryewook! I can’t work like this!”

 

Kyuhyun stormed off the set. Ryewook yelled after him.

 

“Kyuhyun, wait! Wait!”

 

Jiyeon followed close behind Kyuhyun as they returned to the wardrobe room. Kyuhyun slammed the door as Jiyeon entered.

 

“Kyuhyun, calm down…”

 

“I swear…that girl…I don’t mind meeting her in a bar and screwing her brains out in a hotel room but when she starts bringing those ty antics on my set…I can’t take it! I swear she’s been screwing the whole crew!”

 

Jiyeon hugged Kyuhyun. He suddenly stopped moving around and his fury began to die down. He looked down and saw his skinny assistant tightly embracing him.

 

“Jiyeon…”

 

“Please…calm down…stop being angry…”

 

Kyuhyun sighed and hugged her back.

 

“Jiyeon, I’m fine…it’s just…a lot of emotions run through my mind when I act and when I lose my concentration…I get irritated… this particular scene brings back many painful memories so I’m on the edge…”

 

“If you get mad or frustrated…I will listen to you…”

 

“I know you will…”

 

Jiyeon slowly relinquished her grasp around him and looked up towards his eyes.

 

“You think you can shoot the scene again?”

 

“I can…just give me some time to calm down…”

 

“Okay…”

Jiyeon smiled and slowly exited the room. Kyuhyun sat down and looked at his reflection. This scene has been causing a lot of problems not only because of Tiffany’s careless acting but because it also brought back the day he broke his promise with Seohyun. It was a painful regret that had been bothering him ever since.

 

San Francisco, CA

 

Sarah slowly opened Piolo’s bedroom door and found him studying diligently for his board exam. He looked up and found Sarah smiling at him with a tray of sandwiches.

 

“Gutom ka na, Kuya?”

Are you hungry now, Big Brother?

 

Piolo removed his reading glasses and pinched his nose bridge. He had been studying for the past two days straight with little to no sleep. His board exam was the following week so he wanted to have a good study pace.

 

“Salamat, Sarah…”

Thank you, Sarah…

 

Sarah walked over and neatly placed the tray beside his books.

 

“How was your date with Seohyun, the other day? You didn’t speak much about it…”

 

“It was fun and relaxing…Fisherman’s Wharf was as fun as I expected…”

 

Sarah smirked.

 

“It must have been real fun with Seohyun, huh?”

 

Sarah winked making Piolo blush.

 

“Si Sarah talaga…ibigan lang kami…kung gusto ko magligawan sa kanya kailangan dahan dahan lang…chaka ikaw wag mo pilitin si Seohyun…hihiya s’ya…”

Really Sarah…we’re just friends…if I want court her then it has to be slowly…also you better not force it upon Seohyun…she will get embarrassed…

 

“Ok Kuya…I understand…”

 

Sarah playfully pouted and exited the room. Piolo shook his head and lightly laughed. He took a sandwich and slowly bit into it. He looked out his window and stared at the other suburban homes, brightly lit, and remembered his moment with Seohyun after their date.

 

“I guess I can call it a date…”

 

Seohyun was very lovely and gentle but there was always something fragile about her. The way she poured her heart out to him touched him deeply and he felt a small bond beginning to grow between them. He wanted to strengthen the bond with her hoping it could further their special friendship into something more fulfilling down the road. He finished the rest of his sandwich and returned to studying.

 

Seoul, Korea

 

Yuri walked over to Kyuhyun at the bar and noticed how lonely his expression was.

 

“Kyuhyun, you look exhausted…”

 

Kyuhyun slowly looked up to her and rubbed his eyes.

 

“I apologize, Yuri…this new drama has me up day and night…they’re trying to cram everything here before we leave for California…”

 

Yuri placed a glass of water beside Kyuhyun. He took it and quickly chugged it down.

 

“When are you leaving?”

 

“Thankfully, we finished everything that needed to be shot here in Korea so we’ll be leaving the day after tomorrow…I’m here tonight to simply recuperate…”

 

“Well, I’ll be here tonight if you need me, alright?”

 

“Thanks beautiful…”

 

Yuri touched his arm and returned to waiting on the other tables. Kyuhyun stared at himself at the bar mirror and noticed how deep his eye bags were getting. He always had a stern hatred for plastic surgery but at the moment he was beginning to consider it. He waved down the bartender and asked for another Bacardi and Coke. As he waited, someone slowly crept up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder. It was Tiffany.

 

“Hey there…”

 

Kyuhyun wasn’t in the mood for her and was beginning to rise from his seat.

 

“Oh come on, Kyuhyun…”

 

“Tiffany, we already work long hours together and I put up with so much from you…this time right now is for me…could I have it, please?”

“That’s why I’m here…I want to know exactly what about me that bothers you?”

 

The bartender handed Kyuhyun his drink and he took a light sip.

 

“You want to know?”

 

Tiffany nodded.

 

“I don’t think you deserve to be in this business…frankly…I think you should leave before things get any worse…”

 

“I see…”

 

Kyuhyun expected Tiffany to flip out and make a scene but instead she accepted the harsh criticism he just dished out to her.

 

“You’re pretty and lively…but…acting shouldn’t be a part of your resume…just stick to modeling…”

 

“What could I do to improve my acting?”

 

Kyuhyun didn’t want to help her but he could tell she was being sincere so he decided to give her his best advice. He thought maybe this could improve their on-screen chemistry.

 

“Tiffany, what you lack is real-world experience…I know I barely know you but I can tell you were very sheltered…but that doesn’t matter…everyone has some kind of pain…whatever you have…try to harness and blend it in to your character in the story…for instance during our dramatic moments…try to remember a time in your life where you were hurt so bad…where you were so vulnerable…apply those feelings to your acting so the viewers can believe in your character…do you understand?”

 

Tiffany thought deeply and tried to retrace her painful memories. Suddenly, a tear dropped down from her eye and Kyuhyun was startled.

 

“Whoa there…save those for when we’re on camera!”

 

Tiffany giggled and wiped her eyes.

 

“I just remembered something that’s all…thanks Kyuhyun…sorry for bothering you…”

 

Tiffany quickly stood up and disappeared from the bar. Kyuhyun took another sip and shook his head.

 

“I guess I was somewhat helpful…”

 

He shrugged and returned to getting drunk.

 

Tiffany stumbled out of the bar and was upset about the memory that returnd to her after her counseling with Kyuhyun. Her young driver stood idly by the car as she approached him.

 

“Tiffany, are you okay?”

 

“I’m going home…”

 

“Ok…”

 

The young driver opened her door, shut it, and then hurried to the front. He hurried to the front and quickly drove off from the bar.  He looked at the rear view mirror towards Tiffany to check on her.

 

“Noona, are you okay?”

 

“Please…just drive…I’m a little drunk…”

 

Tiffany was lying for she didn’t have a drop of alcohol the whole night. She stared out the car window as she remembered Seohyun’s innocent smile and how she stole her first chance for love.

 

10 Years Earlier…

 

Seohyun and Tiffany were neighbors when they were in high school and their families were very close. Because of that, they were more like sisters than friends. Yet, Tiffany was a year older making her the “Unnie” of the duo. They spent a lot of time together and always confided with each other. Yet, their friendship became strained when they started high school and boys entered their lives.

 

Tiffany was in her senior year in high school and she had a long-time crush on a Filipino boy in her drama class named Dominique. With his gentle smile and strong arms, Tiffany prayed he would finally notice her and ask her to the Prom.  But her whole world was rocked when she spoke to Seohyun one day after school.

 

Tiffany was leaving her Trigonometry class and heading home for the day when she received a text from Seohyun.

 

“Unnie, we need to talk…meet me by the front office…”

 

Tiffany was alarmed by her young friend’s message and hurried along to see what Seohyun had to say. She rushed through the hallway and found Seohyun patiently waiting outside the office. They smiled at each other and Seohyun approached her.

 

“Unnie, are you ready to go home?”

 

“Sure thing, Seohyun, what’s up?”

 

They exited the school and walked down the sidewalk leading to their suburban neighborhood. Seohyun looked like she was thinking deeply.

 

“Seo-baby, are you okay?”

 

“It’s Dom…”

 

“Dom?”

 

“Yeah…your Dom…”

 

Tiffany didn’t understand and smiled blankly.

 

“What did he do?”

 

“Promise you won’t get mad…”

 

“Seohyun…”

 

“He asked me to the Prom…”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I knew it…”

 

Seohyun stopped walking.

 

“Seohyun, what did you say?”

 

Seohyun could tell Tiffany was dying to know.

 

“I…”

 

Seohyun knew how much Tiffany felt about him and to be blindsided like this must have been heartbreaking. Seohyun reluctantly responded.

 

“I said…yes…”

 

Tiffany couldn’t believe her ears. She never knew Seohyun showed any interested in him. She was always shy and distant so Tiffany always felt she was closer to Dominique yet things didn’t come out as planned. Tiffany sighed deeply.

 

“When…when did he ask you?”

 

“Yesterday…after school…”

 

Tiffany remembered she was rehearsing her upcoming play. She also noticed Dominique wasn’t there.

 

“Oh…”

 

“Unnie! I’m sorry but…”

 

“Why are you apologizing? He likes you…”

 

“I just know how you feel about him…”

 

“Yet, you still said yes…”

 

Seohyun could tell Tiffany was getting heated up.

 

“Unnie…”

 

“Seohyun…I…I don’t know what to say…”

 

Tears began to trickle down Tiffany’s face. Seohyun tried to hold her hand yet Tiffany pulled away and stormed off. Seohyun was left standing alone with a cloud of guilt hovering over her. Tiffany returned home and locked herself in her room. She had never felt so hurt and angry in her life.

 

“How could she do this to me?”

 

Tiffany skipped going to the Prom and remained in her room. She did receive other proposals from other boys but she declined them. She simply couldn’t attend the same Prom with Seohyun and it would hurt her too much if she saw her with Dominique.

 

Seohyun and Tiffany eventually got over their spat over Dominique and moved on to college where they were able to heal the wounds of high school. Yet, Tiffany never forgot that pain.

 

 

Daly City, CA

The bell rang loudly and the students were instantly dismissed. Seohyun sighed and began to pack up her things. Sarah appeared by the door and lightly knocked.

 

“Seohyun, what’s up?”

 

“Oh Sarah, I’m good, how was class?”

 

Sarah sighed and sat down in the desk in front of her.

 

“Tiring as always…”

 

“Tell me about it…the students today FINALLY took me seriously and did their class work…were we really like this in high school?”

 

“I guess we were…”

 

Seohyun could tell Sarah had something on her mind.

 

“Hey Seohyun, what are you doing this weekend?”

 

“Nothing, why?”

 

“I was wondering if you wanted to take a trip to Napa Valley…you know…Wine Country…I wanted to show Piolo around and try some tasty wine…you down?”

 

“Sure…actually I haven’t visited Napa before so it will be an experience for me as well...”

 

Sarah was excited.

 

“Cool! I’ll let Gerald know!”

 

“Wait, who’s Gerald?”

 

“Oh, you haven’t Gerald yet huh? He’s actually Mr. Anderson from PE class…super cute…we just started dating…I’m so excited for this weekend! I’ll see you then!”

 

Sarah quickly left leaving Seohyun confused.

 

“Oh, it’s going to be a double date then…”

 

Seohyun knew Sarah was trying to play matchmaker, which was flattering yet troubling for her. In the back of her mind, she wondered if going with Piolo would be the best thing to do. Their friendship carried a lot of potential for a good relationship but Seohyun felt like an invisible chain link was pulling her back. What was she afraid of? Why was she so hesitant? She finished packing up and exited the room.

 

Seohyun was at her small dining table, grading book reports, when her instant messenger alarmed her. She put down the paper and focused her attention on her computer.  The message was coming from Tiffany.

 

“Seo-baby!”

 

Seohyun was surprised and replied back.

 

“Fany, where are you?”

 

“Oh, we’re here in Hawaii! We’re on our way to California to start shooting our new drama…OMG…you will love it! I promise!”

 

“Wow, when do you arrive in San Francisco?”

 

“We should be there tomorrow morning…”

 

Seohyun hesitated to ask about Kyuhyun at first but forced herself.

 

“Is Kyuhyun with you?”

 

There was moment of silence where Tiffany didn’t respond. Suddenly, the message popped out startling Seohyun.

 

“He’ll be arriving one day after me…I was wondering if you would like to meet up together and have dinner downtown…catch up, you know?”

 

Seohyun was nervous to respond. Was she really capable of having dinner with these people? Of course it was vacation last time but now times were different and Seohyun felt she had little to show for herself. Then she remembered Piolo and questioned if having him there with her could void the awkwardness between one another. Seohyun responded.

 

“That sounds great, Fany…I’d love to! By the way, Piolo just moved into town so he’ll be joining us…”

 

Tiffany delayed responding. Seohyun knew that Tiffany had feelings for Piolo once and maybe she would be more level-minded if he came along. Seohyun had a burning feeling that she wasn’t planning this dinner to simply catch up but instead review each other’s current living situation. Seohyun knew her friend quite well and knew what she was capable of. She knew drama was on the horizon.

 

“Alright, Seo-baby, see you soon! =)”

 

Seohyun logged off and returned to her papers. She needed to speak with Piolo right away.

 

Piolo massaged his temples after four hours of cramming the last of his study material. His exam was coming up in two days and he needed to be mentally fit for it. He opened his blinds and saw it was the dead of night. For the past couple weeks, he had transitioned to a daytime sleep cycle yet he wasn’t the least worried about it. He found himself calmer when he studied at night. As he was clearing up his desk, his phone began to vibrate. It was text from Seohyun.

 

“Hi Piolo, are you still up?”

 

Piolo was happily surprised by her text, which caught him at a good time.

 

“Yeah, what’s up?”

 

“Could I call you?”

 

Piolo smiled.

 

“Sure thing.”

 

A few moments later, his phone began to buzz.

 

“Seohyun?”

 

“Piolo, sorry if I woke you up…”

 

“No, no…you’re good…I just finished studying…”

 

“I see, how’s that going for you?”

 

“Exhausting but manageable…my exam is in two days so I just finished the rest now and I’ll be resting before my exam…”

 

“In two days?”

 

“Yes, why?”

 

“Oh…would it be a problem if we had dinner in two days?”

 

Piolo scrambled to his calendar to check his schedule.

 

“My exam is on Friday…I won’t be released until 5pm that day…”

 

He could hear Seohyun thinking by the tone of her breathing.

 

“The dinner would be later that night…I bet you would be tired also…”

 

Piolo couldn’t miss an opportunity like this.

 

“I could make it…after my exam I could change and meet you there…”

 

Piolo began to wonder if it was a date. It didn’t seem like Seohyun’s nature to ask a guy out for she seemed very old-fashioned.

 

“Will it just be us?”

 

“Actually, I have some old friends coming to town and I wanted you to join us…remember, Tiffany?”

 

The image of the drunken Tiffany staggering around Malate, Manila and the hot kiss they shared afterwards clouded his mind.

 

“Of course, Tiffany…how could I forget?”

 

“Well, the plan is for Friday but things may change…I’ll keep you in the loop, alright?”

 

“Yeah, no problem…”

 

“By the way, did Sarah mention our planned excursion to Napa Valley this weekend?”

 

“She did, I’m excited…”

 

He could feel Seohyun’s light smile.

 

“Good…it seems like we have a lot of events coming up…”

 

“Yes, we do…”

 

“Alright then, goodnight…”

 

“Goodnight Seohyun…”

 

Seohyun hung up and Piolo returned his phone to his desk. He wondered what lay in store for him at this dinner event and what kind of a reaction he would get from Tiffany. They both shared something secretive and he didn’t know if he got over it. Did she? Piolo went to his bed to lie down and drifted away to sleep.

 

San Francisco International Airport

 

The arrival doors opened and Kyuhyun appeared sporting his dark Ray-Ban shades, clean white long sleeve shirt, and khaki jeans. He hauled his rolling bag behind him as fans and photographers gather up ahead of him. Leeteuk, Jiyeon, and other bodyguards made a path for him as he headed towards his limo. Jiyeon was simply amazed by his popularity around the world.

 

“Kyuhyun-Oppa! We LOVE YOU!”

 

Kyuhyun nodded and smiled towards his fans as his managers placed his luggage in the trunk. Kyuhyun and Jiyeon got into the limo as Leeteuk and the rest of the staff followed behind in a van. Jiyeon shut the door and looked to Kyuhyun with amazement.

 

“I didn’t know you were popular in the States too!”

 

“Me neither…but it helps to assume right?”

 

Jiyeon shook her head after hearing another arrogant statement from Kyuhyun.

 

“Ok then, where to next, Mr. Suave?”

 

“I believe we’re going to the Marriot…Tiffany texted me and said we’re doing dinner with some old friends in Little Italy tonight…”

 

“Oh…”

 

“We can get unpacked, take a nap, and get freshened up…plenty of time! I love it already…”

 

This was the part that Jiyeon hated about Kyuhyun.  In public, Kyuhyun was very overbearing and arrogant. He often said what was on his mind and wasn’t afraid to step on any toes. Yet behind the scenes, Kyuhyun was tolerable and strangely, kind. It often conflicted with the way Jiyeon felt for him but she understood that it was only a persona he carried because he was an actor. But, was it only a persona to show his fans in public? Jiyeon wasn’t fully sure.

 

They arrived at the snazzy San Francisco Marriot where they me up with Tiffany. She was wearing an expensive pea coat and her hair was beautifully let down.

 

“Hello everyone!”

Jiyeon didn’t understand how she was appointed ambassador for the trip but they went along with it.

 

“We have most of the suites on the upper level…Donghae says we’ll be here for the next two months so start getting comfortable! I can’t believe I’m back in the States!”

 

Tiffany hurried back inside. Kyuhyun whispered to Jiyeon.

 

“Can you believe she’s our leading lady? Donghae has to be on some type of drug…”

 

Jiyeon giggled and followed behind Kyuhyun.

 

Later that night…

 

Franchino Italian Restaurant

 

The traffic was tight as usual in North Beach. Kyuhyun, Tiffany, and Jiyeon hopped out of Leeteuk’s van and immediately got on the sidewalk. Leeteuk shouted from his seat.

 

“You kids be nice!”

 

Kyuhyun smirked and waved him away. Tiffany approached the host and verified their reservation. Jiyeon overheard Tiffany.

 

“Yes…dinner for five…perfect…”

 

Jiyeon thought to herself.

 

“Five? Two more guests then…”

 

They all entered the restaurant and were seated at the far-end booth for some privacy from the incoming customers. Kyuhyun quickly ordered some red wine and they slowly got comfortable in the authentic Italian atmosphere. Tiffany was busy texting on her phone while Kyuhyun tasted the wine. Jiyeon leaned over to Kyuhyun and whispered.

 

“Why are we here? Shouldn’t we be resting?”

 

“Tiffany kept insisting so I decided to come…plus…I like wine…”

 

Jiyeon sighed.

 

“Oh well…”

 

The young male waiter returned with some tasty garlic bread.

 

“Are you all ready to order?”

 

Tiffany thought for a moment.

 

“Our guests will be here shortly…come back in 5 minutes…”

 

The waiter nodded and disappeared. Kyuhyun spoke up.

 

“So these old friends…are they cool?”

 

“Oh you should know them…Seo Joo Hyun and Piolo Pascual…remember them?”

 

Jiyeon looked over to Kyuhyun and saw his less-than-serious face change. He sipped his wine.

 

“I do…”

 

“Seohyun will be here soon, she is stuck in traffic…Piolo might not make it since he has an exam for his teaching job…”

 

“I see…”

 

Jiyeon grew nervous and saw Kyuhyun growing serious. She could tell that he had a million things running through his head about Seohyun. Jiyeon didn’t want to see that girl’s face again but because of this trip, it was inevitable. She began to wonder what Tiffany had in store. This dinner wasn’t planned out of the goodness of her heart; there was a message being sent out here. Suddenly, Tiffany stood up.

 

“She’s here, let me go outside and meet her…”

 

Tiffany quickly stepped out. Kyuhyun wiped his mouth with his napkin and threw in a mint to freshen his breath. The door opened and Kyuhyun slowly stood up. Jiyeon could feel her heart slowly losing its grasp on Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun stood up and saw Seohyun enter behind Tiffany. Kyuhyun tried his best to catch his breath. Seohyun smiled and bowed at the host. She went around the other tables and finally arrived to theirs. He finally made eye contact with her and felt a surge of electricity run through his body. Her cute, round face hadn’t changed a bit and her pretty hair was nicely curled.

 

“Hi…Seohyun…”

 

She offered her hand.

 

“Nice to see you again, Kyuhyun…”

 

Kyuhyun felt awkward with Seohyun’s friendly gesture. With the history they carried together, a simple handshake wouldn’t suffice. But, there was an audience around them and a table between them so it was best to go along with it.

 

“Yes…nice to see you too…”

 

He took her soft, small hand and squeezed it. She squeezed back and they both sat down. Kyuhyun couldn’t keep his eyes off her and examined her whole body and outfit. He could tell she put on a tad bit more weight but it wasn’t bad and she looked better than she did back in Manila two years ago. Kyuhyun wasn’t paying too much attention to Tiffany’s spiel and stared at Seohyun. Seohyun would look up a few times and smile but she would go back to nodding along with Tiffany’s useless jabber.

 

“And can you believe it now, Seo-baby, I’m an actress along with Cho Kyuhyun! Amazing…simply amazing…”

 

“It is, Unnie…”

 

Seohyun looked over to Kyuhyun and saw him turn his stare towards the upcoming pizza. She could he was staring at her and it didn’t bother her at all. She knew he would be like this and she came prepared. She had the whole cold, distant routine ready but she was beginning to struggle. She promised herself she wouldn’t let him get to her but her legs were beginning to shake and her hands began to sweat. Kyuhyun was simply attractive. With his handsome face, his gorgeous hair combed up, and his slick suit, she knew if she got even a little buzzed, Kyuhyun would smell it and quickly win her over. She knew she had to stay on her toes. Suddenly, the waiter arrived with pizza that Seohyun didn’t know they ordered. Jiyeon raised her hand.

 

“I took the liberty to order since everyone was so busy catching up…”

 

Seohyun saw the cold look from Jiyeon’s eyes and remembered that strong slap she received from her years ago. She knew Jiyeon was protective over Kyuhyun and she had no plans of crossing her. Tiffany smiled.

 

“Thanks Jiyeon! Come guys, let’s dig in!”

 

Tiffany watched as her old friend took a slice of pizza and bit into it. She could see Seohyun was still her feminine self with a conservative dress and little makeup. Even though she let Seohyun know about her current accomplishments, Seohyun wasn’t the least affected. It bothered her badly and the underlying jealously she had for Seohyun was beginning to bubble up again inside her. Why was Seohyun so graceful with her presence and how did she steal Kyuhyun’s eyes so quickly? If Piolo were there it would be worst since he loved her too. Tiffany tried not to get too carried away and dug into the pizza as well.

 

The restaurant was already emptying out but their group was still there finishing up the last of the wine. Jiyeon had already fallen asleep beside Kyuhyun. Seohyun took another sip of wine and smiled at Kyuhyun.

 

“So, this drama you are doing here, what is it about?”

 

Kyuhyun looked to the drunken Tiffany and she waved to him to let him answer the question.

 

“Well, Seohyun…you see…the story is about two lovers from the past…”

 

Seohyun nodded.

 

“Go ahead…”

 

“They part ways because the woman is moving on to bigger and better things…she has dreams she wants to reach so the man reluctantly lets her go…but deep inside both of them…they’re still in love…”

 

Kyuhyun stared deeply into Seohyun’s eyes.

 

“After years of separation and loneliness, he goes after her and tracks her down…living in San Francisco…she never achieved her dreams yet…she was ashamed to go back to him…so…she ended up building a new life and finding someone else to love…”

 

Seohyun looked back to Kyuhyun and could feel him peering into her heart.

 

“I am that man…trying to find my once true love…”

 

Seohyun stood up, making the chair loudly squeak and waking up Jiyeon.

 

“Thanks for the dinner everyone, I must be going now…Tiffany…”

 

“Bye Seohyun…”

 

Kyuhyun quickly stood up and chased after Seohyun.

 

“Seohyun, wait!”

 

They got outside the restaurant and Seohyun went over to get a taxi.

 

“Seohyun, hold on!”

 

He grabbed her arm and she quickly pulled away.

 

“Please Kyuhyun, I could feel you breathing all over me while you talked about your stupid drama…”

 

“It’s just my job…”

 

“So am I that lost love of yours, huh? That one special love you had then lost and now you want it back? It’s not that easy, Kyuhyun…”

 

“I didn’t mean it like that…”

 

“So what did you mean Kyuhyun?”

 

Seohyun stared angrily at Kyuhyun.

 

“Seohyun, I never forgot about you…”

 

“Please, save the lines for your show, alright?”

 

Seohyun’s taxi arrived and she turned to enter it but Kyuhyun hugged her from behind.

 

“Don’t go…”

 

He wrapped his arms around her and rested his head on her shoulder.

 

“Please…”

 

Piolo was following the directions to the restaurant from his IPhone and was slowly approaching it.

 

“It’s late already, I wonder if they’ll still be there…”

 

Piolo turned the corner and saw the restaurant across the street. Suddenly, Seohyun emerged from the front doors followed behind by Kyuhyun.

 

“Kyuhyun?”

 

He could tell they were arguing. Seohyun looked angry which shocked Piolo since he never saw her like that. A yellow cab arrived but Kyuhyun held her back and embraced her from behind. Seohyun remained still and touched his hand. She turned around and they continued to talk. Seohyun turned around, entered the cab, and disappeared. Piolo was speechless. He slowly stepped back and watched as Seohyun disappeared into the city.

 

“I don’t know if I’m happy or sad for not going to this dinner…”

 

He didn’t know Kyuhyun was in town and suddenly felt his chance to be with her finally was threatened. He remembered Jiyeon’s deal to break Seohyun and Kyuhyun apart. Back then, he didn’t consider it and even helped her get back with Kyuhyun but now with a new lease on life and a new location, he felt it was time to fight for his heart even if he had to break another’s. Piolo slipped into the darkness and slowly disappeared down the lonely sidewalk.

 

End of Chapter 6

 

Piolo and Seohyun are slowly growing closer and with Sarah’s constant push, will they eventually be together? With Kyuhyun’s new drama being set in San Francisco, can SeoKyu’s romantic love be rebuilt? What does Tiffany plan for Seohyun? Will Piolo follow through with Jiyeon’s once dark ploy to split SeoKyu? More to come in “Lovers in Manila”!