Chapter 4

Milk Tea

“We’re here!”

Lucas looked at the wooden gate in front of him after Sicheng announced their arrival. A wave of nostalgia hit when he saw the wooden gate. He remembered his grandfather crafted that gate with his tools when he was younger, around the age of 8. While his grandfather was busy with the gate, he, his brother and cousins would dangerously huddle around their grandfather and watched him work on that gate for the whole summer. Once the gate was done crafted and it was time to installed it, Lucas begged his grandfather to let him hammered the gate to the ground.

“I’m surprise that gate still looks new…”

“When was the last time you came again?” Sicheng asked, amused than judging. “I remember only Hendery either visit ye ye and nai nai every summer alone, or with one of your parents.”

Lucas leaned on his seat. The feeling of guilt began to submerge as he realised that he had not visited his grandparents for nearly 3 summers. He constantly used his basketball tournaments as his excuse for not being able to visit his grandparents, and only meet them whenever they visit his family during Lunar New Year, though he silently admitted that he rather stays in the city and hang out with his friends.

“That long huh,” Siching whistled. “No wonder yeye’s been complaining and wishing that he has your muscle for farm work. He also said your workout routine is a waste of time.

“Lucas’s workout routine is not a waste of time,” Lucas and Sicheng heard Hendery gasped from the back seat. “He spends hours lifting weight and training so he could play basketball well. He has to. He’s the MVP in his team.”

“I get it, your almighty brother is awesome…” Ten groaned beside Hendery. “No offence. Lucas this, Lucas… that is all you ramble about throughout this ride.”

Ten’s remark caught Lucas by surprise. He swiftly turned to the passenger seat, “Hendery, I’ve told you so many times to stop talking about me to strangers. Who knows, one day that guy will use that to blackmail me.” He said as he pointed at Ten.

“Hey!” Ten shouted. “Sicheng baby, your almighty cousin here said I’m a bad guy.”

Sicheng just rolled his eyes. “They sure get along fast,” he thought to himself as he lifted up the handbrake and cut the vehicle engine off.

“You’re not parking this truck inside?”

Sicheng apologised shortly before he opened the vehicle door and stepped outside. “Yeye needs to me to deliver some crops to Mr. Ming before dinner. You guys need to get out. And Lucas….”

Lucas stared at his older cousin, waiting for him to say something, but Sicheng just shrugged and said nevermind. Lucas wondered what his cousin wanted to say to him. He had a strong feeling that it involves his grandfather, hence, he brushed his cousin’s odd behaviour off and helped the excited Hendery out of the vehicle. He hoped his hunch was wrong.

~~~

“Finally, the Hong Kong babies are here!” Lucas heard his grandmother’s voice the moment Sicheng opened the gate for the four youths to enter the property. His grandmother rushed to them and enveloped them both in a hug.

“My, my Hendery, you’ve becoming more handsome that the last time I saw you. You look more like a prince,” she cooed. “And Lucas,” Her tone turned cold the moment she looked up at Lucas, “did your basketball coach decided to replace you this summer?”

The atmosphere became tense. His grandmother’s eyes bore into him, waiting for answers that he couldn’t gave. If her glares could kill, Lucas could have died on the spot. He felt the excuses he gave for not visiting his grandparents few years ago will not work. What reason do they want to hear? Do they want him to admit that he rather spends his summer with his friends rather then spending his time in the farm and orchard? He was too busy raking his brain for answers when suddenly, his grandfather mysteriously appeared behind him, raised his right hand, studied and pinched his bicep with his index and middle finger.

“What the…”

“Hmm… I underestimate these muscles.” The grandfather said to himself, not taking his eyes away from Lucas’s bicep. “and I’m right. He can start working right away. Sicheng, did you tell Lucas about the chores that need to be done by dinner?” he said as he shifted his gaze to Sicheng.

Lucas was in disbelief. He couldn’t believe his grandfather planned chores for him while he was still in the bus, kilometres away. Do his parents know about this? Did they plan this with his grandfather? Was this the main reason his parents insisted him to visit his grandparents, so he could help in the farm and orchard?

He was about to protest, but his grandfather held his hand up to silence him. “Before you say anything, I want you to change your clothes and shoes now. You’re coming with me. We have fruits to harvest and deliver.”

Lucas wasn’t given any choice. He quickly grabbed his bag, took off his shoes, entered the house and ran into the first room he could find to change his clothes. He didn’t dare to argue with his grandfather. His grandfather had given him instruction, and he knew it was useless for him to talk back, otherwise he’ll suffer terrible consequence. He had learned this lesson the hard way during his last visit, hence he felt it’s wiser for him to obey his grandfather’s command.

Once he entered the room, and Lucas felt he’s brave enough to express himself, he shouted, “This is so unfair!” not caring if the villagers or animals had heard him.