Chapter 2

Milk Tea

-Hendery-

Hendery tapped Lucas’s shoulder few times. He wanted some respond from his brother. He poked, shake, anything to get his brother’s attention, but his brother wouldn’t bulged.

 

He was sad. He was looking forward to spend the whole summer with his brother and grandparents, but now Lucas was upset with him. Eventhough Lucas didn’t said it straight to his face, he knew Lucas blamed him for missing his training camp because he heard everything.

 

On the previous day, his mother surprised him by telling him that he and Lucas will be spending their summer with their grandparents. He was thrilled. He hasn’t visited his grandparents for about a year. He was too excited that he immediately excused himself and slowly guided himself to his bedroom. Not long after he left the living room, he heard the front door opened.

 

“Lucas’s home,” he smiled. He thought we wanted to turn back and greet his brother, but he decided not to. Lucas will catch up with him sooner or later and they could pack together. “Maybe I could get him to pack my bag,” he giggled. The idea of bullying his brother amused him, but he shrugged the mischievous thought off. Lucas has been busy practising basketball for weeks, hence, taking advantage of Lucas would only infuriates him. He rather helps Lucas to pack than to being in a wrestling match with him.

 

His hand was just about to reach the doorknob when he heard Lucas and their parents arguing

 

“Why me? Why can’t one of you go instead?” Hendery’s heart stung when he heard Lucas said this. He expected Lucas to be elated over the trip. He was wrong.

 

“I have enough of this conversation, Lucas. Either you go to your grandparents, or I will pull you out of your basketball team for good!”

 

Hendery knew this tone very well. He knew that if Lucas said one more word, he is off the team. He knew that Lucas also knew their father was serious, and he hoped that Lucas dropped his ego and hold his tongue. “If only I can pull him to the room now….” As much as Hendery wanted to spend time with Lucas and his grandparents, he didn’t want Lucas to lose his position in his basketball team as well. He knew how much basketball meant to his brother.

 

Not long later, he heard heavy footsteps approaching his direction. Lucas was heading to their shared room. Judging from the sound of the footsteps, Hendery needed to move quickly. An angry Lucas is equal to an angry bull, hence Hendery went down to his knees and crawled to the nearest furniture he could feel to take cover.

 

“Bang!” Hendery flinched as he heard his bedroom door being slammed hard. He didn’t want to exaggerate, but he believed the whole neighbourhood could hear it as well. He counted to ten before he decided it was safe enough to enter his bedroom, but when he tried to open the door, it was locked. He signed. “Lucas probably needs time to cool off” he thought. There was nothing much he could do about his current situation, hence he resolved to watch tv in the living room until Lucas unlocks the door for him to enter.

 

~~~~

Hendery stopped what he was doing when he heard the conductor announced the name of the station of the next stop. Hearing the name of the station, Hendery became excited. “Ge-ge, we’re here! We’re here!” he shook Lucas’s hand harder.

 

Lucas, unfortunately didn’t share the same feeling as him. He took his brother’s hand and shoved it roughly away from his. “Yes, I heard it. Gosh, you’re annoying!”

 

“I just want to make sure I’m not alone…”