One-sided-longing

8 Letters

 

 

Minhyun's POV

Please, please Jihyo! Please don’t leave me!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!”
I screamed out loud until woke myself up from sleep in the mid-night. I got off from bed and left to find some water to drink. I grabbed a bottle of water then drank half of it.

“I’m so useless.” I became weak. I slammed the fridge's door then threw myself to the floor. I lay my back to the closing fridge and sat sadly.

“Hwang Minhyun, you’re so useless. It has been one year already and you’ve not moved on. She hurts you. Why can’t you forget her? I hate you Hwang Minhyun.”

I started sobbing in sorrow, the old sorrow which is unfaded away no matter how I try.

I pure the remaining half of the water on my head to wake me up from the one-sided-longing.

I literally stayed in that position until the new day came.

-----///-----

NEXT DAY
 

[ At Angel Seoul Design Company ]
 

“Minhyun, tomorrow the new intern is coming. This year we’re choosing you to take care of the intern since she is going to stay at staff dormitory too.” Manager-nim came to inform me at my desk since the early morning.

I got surprised. Especially to the point that the intern is going to stay at the dorm too.

“Well, she is from other city and she has no relatives here so we let her stay in the dorm with you.” Manager-nim added.

I called myself to come back to reality. “But Manager-nim, you mean she so the intern is a girl, right? I mean dorm has no any other staff besides me…” I was trying to explain my hesitation.

Manager raised his hand to sign me to stop talking.

“But there are a few available rooms, right? Come on, I’m not asking you to stay with her but just sharing the house. She is going to stay for 3 months until finish her internship only. Be open-minded, Young Man!” he volume up his voice to me a little bit.

I have no choice but to bow to accept his order. I made up my mind then started cleaning the desk next to mine for new intern to work from tomorrow.

…..

“Done!” I finally finished the cleaning for new comer.

“I should write down something to bright up that newbie’s feeling.” I thought alone then grabbed a piece of sticker to write something down.

“Welcome to Design Section! From your senior, Hwang Minhyun!”

I wrote a welcome note and put on her desk which is at the same row but on the left side of mine. Then I went back my desk to continue my work.

…..

/ Lunch Break /

 “Minhyun, this is for you. I cooked it by myself. I hope you’ll like it.” A senior female co-worker who is my leader went to my desk and handed me a box of lunch.

I stared at the beautifully decorated lunch box but I hesitated to receive. I remained silent.

“Minhyun, it’s just a lunch box. I’m not asking you to date me after this. Take it!” she insisted.

I cut my attention to the lunch box and looked up at her face. “Hyewon-sunbaenim, I’m sorry. I plan to go out for lunch. I want to eat out.” I made excuse, trying to get rid of her free lunch box.

She scoffed with upset. “You really have to move on from your ex. Not everyone is unfaithful like your ex and I’m trying so hard." she spoke up her voice loud and made other co-workers in the same room with us hear.

I stood up madly with a little embarrassment, grabbed my bag and walked out the office without a single word.

"Hwang Minhyun, stop living in pain like this. Not everyone is like her." she yelled out loud.

I still ignored. I put on my earphones and left the company for lunch. I went to a nearby restaurant. I just enjoyed my meal with the music I'm listening to.

After a while, I noticed I'm being looked at by somebody. It seems like somebody is stalking me or something. I tried looking around to make sure. I finally caught a young girl is looking at me. I quickly took off my earphones and stared at her with full attention. Once she realized I caught her, she urgently turned away. 

She awkwardly called staff to give her the bill then quickly left the restaurant.

I tied my eyebrows to myself. But I didn’t care much. I put on my earphones back then continued eating my lunch. After lunch, I went back to my company.

I put on my earphones for the whole day as I don’t want to talk or hear anyone’s voice. It’s my habit to put on earphones when I’m bored with the environment even sometimes, I don’t actually listen to anything on earphones.

…..

Today after work, I walked randomly without real destination one hour straight and when I came back to myself, I already saw myself on the other side of road opposite to my ex-girlfriend’s clothing store. I should have left right away once I realized but I didn’t do so. I miss her so much and I stood still there to wait if I could see her from this distance.

“Jihyo… Jihyo!!!” I finally saw her coming out to welcome her client. I wanted to run cross the busy road to grab her for a very long hug but I tried holding myself. We already finished.

“Jihyo, I miss you so much. The smile, the smell, the tiny baby girl, I have been holding for years. Jihyo, I’m still longing for you but I know we’re just impossible now.”

I spent a long moment sobbing while watching the girl who used to be mine painfully alone. It's hurt unchangingly.....

When it’s getting dark, I caught a taxi to go back to my dorm.

After got off from taxi, I went on foot to my dorm. For the whole time, I felt like somebody is following me. I walked and listened carefully. When I almost reached a dark alley, I hang in there real quick and hid.


“Eh, where has he gone so fast?” a complaint of a female voice to be heard with a few footsteps.

When she came real close, I came out to block her way right away.

“Omo!!!” she startled.

“You?” I exclaimed surprisingly as she was the same girl I caught looking at me at the restaurant in the afternoon.

“Ahhh!” she tried turning back and was ready to run but I caught her bag-pack from behind to make unable to run away.

“Ahh let go of me!” she tried protesting to get rid of my grab.

“Who are you? Why are you following me for the whole day? What do you want?” I asked seriously while grabbing her bag-pack tightly.

“I’m not a bad person. Please spare me.” She kept begging while ignoring all of my questions.

I gave a big scoff. “Ya~ stop moving and tell me why are you following me?” I asked her with more unkind voice.

She stopped protesting and slowly turned her face to me.

Our eyes caught each other and she looks so innocently cute with that little-bit teary eyes.

I cleared my throat to break the eye contact moment. “Mmm… who are you? You don’t look like a bad person but why are you following me? We don’t know each other, do we?” I asked with gentle voice.

The weird girl pouted sadly.

“Ya~ ya~ I’m not doing anything to you yet. Don’t cry!” I warned her before she cries out as she looks so ready to cry anytime soon.

“Sun…bae…nim… I’m sorry.” She was stuttering, speaking up.

I frowned. “What? Sunbaenim? Why are you calling me that?” I asked curiously.

“I’m a new intern who is going to enter your company tomorrow. I was wondering how the place I'm going to stay and the senior who is going to look after me like so I spent this one day to observe about you.” She said.

I sighed in disbelief. She already looks so weird to me by doing this. I let go of her bag-pack.

“Sunbaenim, I’m sorry to make you uncomfortable.” She deeply bowed to me.

I sighed again. I ignored her apology. I took the chance she was bowing deep facing the ground to walk away.


“Ahhh sunbaenim, wait! I’ve not introduced myself to you yet. My name is An Sumin, 23 years old, Gemini, just graduated from Seoul Design University……”

She kept shouting behind, introducing herself to me. I heard her well but I didn’t turn back.

“Sunbaenim, nice to meet you. See you tomorrow. Please take care of me for these three months. Thank you in advance, sunbaenim.”

She continued shouting but without following me. I secretly smiled in disbelief. She is weirdly cute. How can she come up with an idea to stalk me before the official day she enters the company…

“Sunbaenim, drink a cup of hot water and rest. You’ll sleep fast with hot water. Don’t be too sad! See you tomorrow. Good-night! I’m leaving.” That was the last words she said to walking me.

After everything became silent, I paused from walking then turned back to look at her.

“So she saw me crying…” I murmured.

I was watching her walking to the opposite side to leave until completely disappeared from my eyesight.

I went to dorm..... Weirdly, I thought of the weird, talkative girl unconsciously. I even boiled some water to drink.

“It’s really helping. I should drink hot water more.” I told myself while feeling so relaxed with the hot water.

“So from tomorrow for full three months, I will be taking care and living under the same roof with that talkative intern... and today she already saw my weakness… How is this little girl having impression on this senior already? It’s so embarrassing. Hmm… I really wish I would stop longing for my ex soon. Hopefully!” -Minhyun-

-----