Penthouse SP : Broken wings (Part One)

On pourrai refaire le monde avec des si...Logryeon's alternate stories

(In this “what if” story Su-Ryeon possesses Na Aegyo's strong and bold personality whereas Logan retains his initial assertive personality he had at the start of Season 1…) The scene takes place just before the Gimpo cliff scene in Episode 13-14. Logan went to fetch Eun Byeol and is waiting for Su-Ryeon to go together to the meeting point. But she is late...

Logan checks his watch and reaches for his phone to call her again. He keeps repeating the same gestures for the last 30 minutes without being able to recount how many times he did exactly.

“The person you’re trying to reach is currently…” Logan cuts off the call abruptly. Something is off, she should be here already. Next to him in the car, Eun Byeol breaks the silence.

“Ahjussi…did something happen to Ahjumma ?”

“I don’t know Eun Byeol, I don’t know”

“Don’t tell me…mom wouldn’t have done something to her, right ? it can’t be true”

Logan breathes deeply, gazing into space. He cannot answer, because he simply doesn't know. His phone rings, snapping him out of his thoughts. It’s an unknown caller.

“Logan ! I lost my phone”

“Small devil I am sorry…I am a little busy right now, but I will buy you another one, okay ?” Hye-In stops him as he is ending the call. Eun Byeol leans in to listen.

“Wait ! Just before I lost it…that creepy ajumma's secretary at the Penthouse, he just crashed into me like a crazy person. our bags fly you know and…”

Logan’s mind is racing while Hye In keeps talking at the other end of the line.

“And…and …I think he might have picked it up by mistake...Logan, Logan ?!”

“Sorry small devil, I will call you back, okay ?”

“But…”

“See you later, you just go home, and you three stay together, you don’t go outside, understand ?”

“Why would Secretary Do steal Hye In’s phone, Ahjussi ?” Logan stares outside, in deep thoughts. It must be one of his employer’s orders, it cannot be a coincidence. Logan slams his palm on the dashboard, breaking into a smile.

“Of course, the GPS app !” He silently thanks the sky for them being wary of Hey-In's safety and launches the app. He put the phone on its stand and starts the engine.

“Ahjussi, where are we going ?”

“Help me there Eun Byeol…follow them, alright ? everything will be fine, we will find Su-Ryeon-ahjumma and your mother, okay ?” Eun Byeol nods.

 

His hands gripping the wheel and his jaw clenched so tight it’s painful, Logan keeps his gaze focused on the road as they drive at breakneck speed on the narrow road. Next to him Eun Byeol is following the small red dot on the tracking app, her hand encircling tightly the door handle as they cross a series of tight curves.

“Ahjussi…It stopped ! it stopped ! they are at the waterfalls cliff where we were supposed to meet with mom”


 

“Shim Su-Ryeon !”

Su-Ryeon fling shut the car door and closes the distance separating her from Cheon Seo Jin in long strides. The two women face each other, their gaze venomous.

“Where is my daugther you witch ?!” inquires Seo Jin, grabbing her by the collar. Su-Ryeon shoves her off.

“Like I’d tell you harpy ! Release Hyein first and we’ll see !”

Su-Ryeon crane her head toward the tinted glass of the car.

She rushes toward the car and shakes the handle.

“Hye in ! my baby !”

Seo Jin snickers behind her.

“Do you think I’m some kind of idiot ?”

Su-Ryeon spins around and freezes. Seo Jin is brandishing a phone she would recognize miles away with the multiple cutesy charms dangling from the mint colored phone case. It’s her daugher’s phone, no mistakes about it.

“I wouldn’t be coming here with her ! My secretary is taking good care of her, so don’t worry…but only if you let go of my Eun Byeol and give me the recording. You don’t seem to understand… I can’t afford to have my life destroyed for a mere mistake…Now call your toyboy and tell him to release my daughter, you ”

Su-Ryeon rushes to Seo Jin and grabs her by the hair. Seo Jin releases the phone on the floor, carrying her hand to her head with a shriek.

“Let go of me, I will kill you !”

She also grabs Su-Ryeon’s head with her free hand.

“I will be the one to kill you first, where did you put Hyein you evil piece of sh*t ?!”

The two grapple while screaming invectives at each other.

“Shim Su-Ryeon ! let go of me at once !”

“Where is Hye-In ?! where is she ?!”

Seo Jin manages to free herself and staggers away. Su-Ryeon throws a huge chunk of her hair remaining in her hand. Pain is pulsating where Seo Jin just gripped her, but something stronger overtakes pain, growling inside her : her growing fury toward Seo Jin.

Her gaze crazed and her hair disheveled, Seo Jin charges at Su-Ryeon, encircling her neck.

“You are really a damn curse ! If you didn’t exist I wouldn’t have been involved with that bastard Joo Dan Tae ! my family would have been perfect…I would have been happy with my daughter…and even her father !”

Su-Ryeon holds onto her hands, her nails digging into the soft flesh. The wind is battling her back but both are too engrossed in their quarrel to notice they are standing just in front of the precipice.

“Like the hell you deserve happiness ! You brought that upon yourself ! Yoonchul is still in a coma after you’ve done and you dare talk about being happy with him and Eun Byeol ? when he wakes up your charade will be over, everyone will know the monster you are…And I can’t wait !”

“Shut up ! like I care about your opinion when all you’re doing all day is cooing with that younger boyfriend of yours”

 

A car skids on the asphalt, sending loose gravel flying and the two women spin their heads only to be blinded by a pair of headlights.

“Logan ? How did you even find me ?” wonders Su-Ryeon, squinting her eyes.

“What that jerk is doing here ?! You called him ? He has my daughter, right ?”

“What if he has ? it’s not like we will send it to you and bid goodbye like old friends you hag”

“You cursed…” Seo Jin releases her neck and pushes her away violently. Losing her footing, Su-Ryeon slips on the ground. She only has the time to see the bewildered stare of Seo Jin and to hear the doors of the car closing before the scenery tips dangerously fast in front of her eyes. Seo Jin reaches for her hand but it’s too late, Su-Ryeon topples over the precipice with a panicked shrill.

Eun Byeol falls on her knees.

“No ! Mom ! why ?!”

Her cries piercing his ears, Logan takes time to register what just happened in front of his eyes. The figure of Su-Ryeon plunging in the darkness, her pink dress flowing around her body, her arms spread apart like a bird with a broken wing falling to her death until they hear the sound of a body splashing in the water below them. Before he can realize he is kneeling in front of the dark abyss, in hope Su-Ryeon resurfaces.

“Su-Ryeon-ssi ! Su-Ryeon-ssi !”

Her hand hanging in the air where Su-Ryeon was standing only a few seconds ago, Seo Jin doesn’t move or blink straight away.

“No…no…it…I didn’t do it on purpose, I didn’t do it…she slipped…it was an accident” stutters Seo Jin, taking her head into her hands. She rushes to her daughter and take her hand

“I didn’t do it…it’s a misunderstanding, Eun Byeol ! We need to hurry…we have to go before the police arrive, let’s go”

Eun Byeol shoves her mother away.

“Don’t touch me ! Why should I ? It wasn't enough to do that to dad…you had to push Ahjumma now ? why…why…I did so many things for you, so why are you still a monster ?!” Seo Jin pulls on her hand.

“We don’t have time to argue right now, let’s go, quick”

“Let go of me !”

 

Su-Ryeon’s head emerges and disappears quickly under the water line. She trashes in the water briefly, her arms waving about before sinking completely without reappearing. Logan stands up. He has to go, he needs to save her. His body feels weightless when he dives into the water, the wind slapping his face while the scenery flashes in front of his eyes. The sudden shock with cold water snaps him out of his daze.

He barely sees anything in front of him, how is he supposed to even locate her ?

He is progressing in the dark water, a cold dread tightening his chest. What if she already sunk too deep and he cannot find her on time ?

A sharp pain burns his lungs, but he cannot afford to lose time coming up for air. Is that bubbles reaching for the surface on his right or is he merely imagining it ? He swims toward it, hopeful and he sees her. She is fighting against the water with only one feet, her face contorted by pain. He takes hold of her collar and she flashes her eyes open. She wraps her arms around him, clinging on him tightly. He pushes her away and shakes his head.

He grabs her hand and points to the surface.


 

He takes a huge breath when they reach the surface. Small dots are dancing in front of his eyes, it was close. He is still holding Su-Ryeon’s hand but she isn’t next to him.

He pulls her up with great effort, securing his arm around her waist. Her head is hunched over her chest. Did she lose consciousness ?

He cast his glance around. Few meters away from them, on the shore, policemen are rushing toward them.

“Hey ! we are here, hurry up !” He only needs to bring her here and she will be saved. Keeping her head out of water he swims toward the policemen. He gathers her in his arms once he can walk and wade until the shore. The policemen encircle them as he releases her carefully on the ground. A policeman kneels next to him.

“Ambulance is on its way” he says as Logan leans over Su-Ryeon. No air on his cheeks. He grabs her wrist, no pulse either.

He tilts her head back and reaches for her lips, alternating with chest compressions.

“Sh*t ! you can’t do this to me ” he says, tearing up.

Emergency workers make their way through the policemen. The sound of sirens and chatters around him become deafening and still no signs of her chest raising. An emergency worker pulls on his arm.

“Sir, we will take over, please stand back” Logan shoves him off.

“Let go of me, it’s my woman who is unconscious here”

“We will take care of her so let us do our work now”

Logan stands up reluctantly and steps aside while they carry on doing CPR on Su-Ryeon.

Finally she coughs and spits water. A doctor calls out for his colleagues.

“Ready the stretcher, we will move her once she is stable !”


 

Someone wraps a blanket around him when he gets seated in the ambulance. Su-Ryeon is moving in and out of consciousness, her eyelids opening and closing heavily. Her hand is ice-cold when he takes it.

“You are safe now, so you can let go and rest” he tells her softly. She nods and closes her eyes.

He spends the next hours going through motions like a zombie. Someone comes to check for his own injuries, then the kids arrive with Kang Mari and Yoonhee. Logan stands up when a doctor comes out of the ER unit.

“She was handled on time. Few minutes more and it would have been too late. She is only suffering minor injuries, mainly bruises. Thankfully she landed feet first in the water and managed to avoid broken bones or worse. We will move her in a room now”

Logan nods slowly and drops on the bench again. He takes his head into his hands. He is so tired.

“You should go rest, it’s not like we can visit her now…let’s take the kids and go home” says Yoonhee, sitting next to him. Dazed, Logan stays silent.

“Logan. Listen to her, you should sleep a little…and she will need a good change of clothes, you know how she is, she will surely throw a temper” jokes Mari.

They help him stand up.

“Yeah…yeah…sure” He follows them like a robot to their car and stays silent during the drive back to the hotel they are all staying at.


 

Logan crashes down on his bed after coming back and having a quick shower. The place next to him is empty, and if they didn’t come up on time with Eun Byeol, it could have stayed that way. He is exhausted but can’t fall asleep. The events from earlier keep haunting him.

What was Su-Ryeon thinking, meeting Cheon Seo Jin alone after what they discovered about her ?

She let her own father die, attempted to Yoonhee and Yoonchul’s life, pretended to be ill to escape charges…she is ready to do anything to save herself, so why did Su-Ryeon take the risk to face such a dangerous person ? He bury his head in his pillow. Just thinking he could have lost her, the anguish is driving him insane.


 

The next morning he is ready to go out after preparing clothes for her when something shiny on Su-Ryeon’s jewelry stand attracts his attention. His blood chills in his veins. It is her engagement’s ring. His fist closes around the thin gold ring.

He cannot wrap his head around this. Why would she leave that ring behind ?

Suddenly it dawns on him and chill goes down his spine. Maybe she was prepared to not come back at all.

He storms out of his hotel suite with his bag, the kids come out of their room and wave at him.

“Logan, are you going to see mom now ?” Asks Seok Hoon.

“I am. But I need to talk to your mother, so you stay here.”

“Wha…what ? No, I want to see mom !” argue Seok Kyeong. Logan sighs heavily.

“You will see her in the afternoon. We need to talk about what happened yesterday and it’s no kids business. Cops will probably come to question her too. This is definite, so go back to your room”

Understanding his tone leaves no room for discussion, Seok Hoon and Hye-In grab Seok-Kyung by the shoulders.

“We understand. We will join you after lunch”

“Thanks”


 

Su-Ryeon is standing in front of a vending machine in the VIP ward. She is humming while inserting coins in the machine. Apart from a sprained ankle, she feels pretty fine actually and Logan should arrive shortly.

“Plain dark coffee for my lunatic and of course Doubleshot hazelnuts iced coffee for me ~”

Her can get stuck in the machine.

“Sh*t ! Are you trying to scam me ? Give me that coffee !”

Su-Ryeon looks around her. Apart from two nurses busy at their counter, there is no one. She kicks the vending machine and throws another glance around. Nobody seemed to have heard her. She kicks the machine again and breaks into a smile when the can is finally freed with a clank. “I knew we could reach an agreement”

The elevator stops at her floor and Logan appears, dashing toward her. Su-Ryeon grins

“Logan !”

He grabs her hand, making her almost release the two beverages she is holding.

“What’s wrong with you ?! I almost let go of these, you brute”

He drags her to her room and slams the door shut.

Su-Ryeon yanks her hand out of his grasp.

“I know you missed me, but you could be more gentle, as you can see with those corny pajamas, I am a patient. Did you bring my clothes by the way ?”

Logan crosses his arms over his chest.

“I’m not in the mood for joking. '' Su-Ryeon stares at him blankly.

“Why are you so cranky ? Did you skip breakfast ?”

Logan gets out the ring and brandishes it in front of her eyes., she blinks at it a few times.

She has not the slightest idea of what he is trying to get at.

“This is my ring, so what ?”

“So what ? You know, I kept wondering why you went to see that nutcase alone yesterday…and now I got it perfectly”

Su-Ryeon scratches her head.

“I don’t get why you’re so riled up. It’s not like I knew that dingbat would push me or something. I didn’t take the ring because I had to solve this alone. It’s my daughter. I was in a hurry, no time to chit-chat with you”

Logan flinches as he had been just slapped.

“Your…your daughter. Something you have to solve alone and no time to even send a text to your fiance, huh ?”

Su-Ryeon follows him with her eyes while he is pacing in front of her.

“What’s wrong with you ? it’s not that deep. It’s only a ring. It’s not like I intended to die or something” Logan points a finger at her.

“I don’t know if you wanted to die. But I think you’re not trying to live either. I am sick and tired of always being kept in the dark. You’re always doing your own thing without caring about my situation. You could have let me know, but it didn’t even cross your mind, right ?”

Su-Ryeon rolls her eyes. His sour mood is starting to get on her nerves.

“Stop overreacting. Did you come here to pick a fight ?”

“So this is my answer.”

He removes his ring and tosses it on the dresser next to them.

Su-Ryeon stares at him wide-eyed.

“You…you’re actually breaking up with me ? you dare ?”

Logan shrugs.

“This is only a ring, right ?…why are you so riled up about it ?”

Heat rushes to her face. That situation cannot be happening. He can’t be serious about breaking off their engagement and leaving her.

“You jerk…you’re breaking up with me ?” she repeats, approaching him threateningly. Logan maintains her gaze without flinching.

“And you think I will try to hold you back ? don’t leave me please…I love you so much…Dream on !” Logan sighs.

“I never asked you to beg me. I will pick you up tomorrow when you’re discharged. Rest and…” She pushes him away.

“Resting my a** Get out ! get out, right now ! Buzz off you cold-blooded prick ! I don’t need you !”

No matter how much she pushes him and yells at him he stays idle, his expression inscrutable, making her even more angrier.

He should be shouting back or doing something. He should tell her she is mistaken and he isn’t planning to leave her.

 

He grabs her by the wrists and removes her hands. She twists her hands together to keep them from trembling when he says his next words in a eerily calm voice.

“I was going to leave anyway, so don’t exhaust yourself”

He turns his back to her and walks toward the door.

“Oh you’re actually leaving, huh ? then don’t ever come back ! cretin ! If you do, I will…” The door sliding shut cut her middle sentence.


Su-Ryeon keeps staring at the door long minutes after he left. There is no way he won’t be back, he probably said it in the heat of the moment. But no matter how long she waits, he doesn’t reappear.

Once again her words ran out ahead of her thoughts and she lashed at him. Why couldn’t she stop herself in time ? Because he wasn't totally wrong. His reaction was extreme, but it made sense. She would totally beat the crap out of him if he dared to pull something like that.

“I shouldn’t have yelled at him…but he is an idiot, why did he get angry first ? I even bought him coffee…”

She sits on her bed, and takes the cans to presses them on her burning eyes. But it’s too late, tears are b at the corner of her eyes.

The way he looked at her before leaving, she wished she wouldn’t see it ever again. The last time he glared at her like that, she almost lost him.

“Lunatic...come back, I didn’t mean it” she whispers. But Logan didn’t come back until the next day to pick her up as he promised.


 

The next day, in the late afternoon.

 

The drive back to the hotel is spent in a chilly silence. He opens the door to their suite and she steps into the living room. With a clank, he throws the car keys on the dresser behind her. She limps toward the couch and freezes. In a corner of the room, there is a suitcase.

“So that’s it, huh? you’re throwing a tantrum. Like the spoiled kid you are".

“I couldn’t take everything. I will have someone fetch the remaining in the afternoon”. His calm response infuriates her. He goes over the suitcase and lifts it.

“In case something happens, call me. I will be in room 802” he passes in front of her without throwing her a glance.

Her chest fills with restrained anger. She doesn’t want him to leave, she should be honest. It’s maybe not too late to have a good explanation with him. But she can’t control herself as she goes over the couch and grabs a pillow, hurling it at him.

“ you, Logan Lee !”

His shoulders tense as the pillow lands on the floor after hitting the back of his head. She curls her shaking hands into fists when he spins around.

He releases the suitcase and walks calmly toward her.

“Haaaa…it gave me butterflies. If you weren’t such a spoiled piece of work I would do you straight away… But you too Shim Su-Ryeon” he says, glaring down at her.

Su-Ryeon takes a step closer, enough for him to smell her familiar lavender signature scent. Logan averts her gaze briefly before maintaining it again.

“These lips are so lush and tempting. But I love them more while they are busy doing something else.”

“I wish I could kiss them instead of arguing with you is what I want to say” she thinks.

Logan tilts his head.

“Your eyes seduce me, even when you can’t keep them open, in those moments when...”

She clench her fist tightly, retreating would be her best bet, but she can’t give him that satisfaction.

“You look so tough, until you’re clinging on to me, in those times” she taunts him.

“And you make me weak, even if I don’t want to admit it” she thinks.

Their faces are only a few inches from each other and she can clearly see his pupils dilating after her words. A smile forms on his face.

“I don’t remember. I only recall one thing…”

She tears herself away from the magnetic stare and her gaze wanders on his lips. He picks it up and smiles smugly and she both wants to beat him and herself at the same time.

“I should just smack you for that arrogance…but I don’t even want to” she thinks, warmth pooling inside her.

“Your trembling voice, calling my name over and over again desperately” He purrs, his tone honey-sweet. She snaps out of her thoughts and lifts her hand in the air.

“What? I will teach you some…”

He grabs her wrist and pulls her toward him.

“Let go ! I swear I…”

He wraps his arm around her waist and locks lips with her…