The Departure

The Princess Diaries: Undercover Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Kwangya Palace, South Korea, August 2014]

 

The day for the two pre-teenagers to depart for the US had finally arrived, which was roughly 2 weeks before the actual start of the school semester as the two needed about a week to get their affairs in order and due to the freshman orientation program that would be held three days in the week prior to the start of the school. As the Queen and the Duchess had royal duties to partake in England the next day, they were unable to accompany the two pre-teens off to the States, hence they delegated the parental task to Prime Minister Son and General Park, who had spent several years in their respective lives living in the US. The royal princess and their best friend, Park Aeri, also accompanied them in their flight to the US per the two pre-teens’ insistence. The crown princess and noirette captain threw a mini farewell party the night before their departure and exchanged teary and emotional goodbyes with their close friends within the royal staff members, especially the crown princess' Head of Lady-in-Waiting, before heading towards the airport. After being emotionally ready to leave, the two finally departed from the castle with the prime minister, general, and the two other kids. The two pre-teenagers quietly mumbled their goodbyes to the country and to the Palace as the royal family’s private jet was soaring above the South Korean land.

 

The two older individuals predicted that the 11-hour flight will be quiet and somber-like, however it panned out to be the exact opposite as the four pre-teenagers decided to let loose and turned the jet into their private partying space. They ruined their throats with their rather loud renditions of top K-pop songs available on the karaoke machine, ate to their hearts’ content by raiding the snack and junk food bar of the jet, and continuously entertained themselves with the array of available card and board game selections, causing the married couple to rather be extremely disturbed and somewhat stressed out. The couple decided to retire to the jet’s bedroom suite and sleep there as means to avoid the four kids and their shenanigans.

 

The flight passed by rather too quickly for the pre-teens and soon they had arrived in the SF Airport, where they were greeted by the South Korean Ambassador for the US and escorted by the Ambassador’s entourage to their new home, a 2-story loft in the topmost floors of the most expensive and high-end apartment complex in SF, the Thorn Angels Apartment Complex. The loft had 2 main bedrooms and 4 guest bedrooms, all with bathrooms that were equipped with shower and bath tub and were connected to each of the bedrooms, a game room, a mini theatre, an indoor swimming pool, a jacuzzi, a fully equipped kitchen, a studying room, a private elevator from the basement to the loft, a mini garden, two spacious living rooms, a music room with a grand piano, a private basement that could be filled with up to 10 cars, and plenty of open spaces. The two teenagers absolutely adored the loft and were extremely enthusiastic about the new chapter in their lives. Whilst the four pre-teenagers were sitting down and resting, the married couple was managing their move and other administrative duties, consuming almost the entire day since their arrival earlier that day. By the time the couple was finished with their tasks, they decided to head out to the nearby Michelin-star restaurant for dinner. The next day, 7 high-end cars, all chosen by the crown princess for her and the captain's use, were transported to the private basement parking lot: a black, bulletproof Range Rover SV Autobiography, a Glacier White Audi A8, a black-and-white Mansory Vivere Bugatti Veyron, a silver BMW M760i, a black Bentley Flying Spur, a white Rolls Royce Cullinan, and a black Phantom Rolls Royce.

 

The married couple, alongside the royal princess and the couple’s daughter, stayed in the loft with the two soon-to-be in-undercover pre-teenagers for about less than a week, which was when all of the latter’s matters were settled, before heading back towards South Korea with a heavy heart. The two teenagers saw the couple and the two younger teenagers leave for South Korea with the royal family’s private jet, which would later be stationed at the SF Airport, just in case the two pre-teenagers needed to depart the country immediately. The two teenagers were, then, driven back to the loft by the embassy’s envoy and just like that, the two pre-teenagers’ independent life in the US had just begun.

 

Despite her young age, Captain Kim was actually able to drive, as it was taught during her army training, and had a special license that allowed her to drive in spite of the rule that said the legal age to drive in California is 17. The two pre-teens spent their remaining days before the school orientation week by driving around San Francisco with their Audi A8. The two set out on an adventurous journey to search for the best local dining restaurants as well as locate the grocery stores, shopping malls, and other shops that they might need to visit in a later date for their necessities.

 

On the Wednesday morning of a week before the official school starting date, the disguised royalty, newly named as Katarina Yu, and the noirette captain, who assumed the disguised identity of Winter Kim, finally set their course towards the fields of Westlake High to participate in the three-days freshman orientation program held by the school’s student council. The orientation program serves to introduce the school’s grounds, their teachers, the clubs in the schools for the new freshmen, as well as to let them know more about the other students in their class. Due to its highly selective nature, Westlake High did not accept many students each year and just like any other year, the two teenagers’ freshmen class was only comprised of 60 students, substantially lesser than the average number of students in a freshmen class in other high schools across the country. Before the orientation program officially begun, all freshmen students were assembled in the school’s Auditorium Hall, where the school’s principal, Ms. Boa Kwon, gave a short speech, welcoming the freshmen class to the school, and the Senior Class’ and Westlake High’s Student Council’s President, Katy Kim, also addressed the entire freshmen class to welcome them before explaining on how the orientation program would be run throughout the 3 days. Right after the speeches and introductions, the freshmen students were eventually grouped into 10 groups of 6, where they would remain as such for the next 3 days.

 

The two teenagers listened intently when the Student Council's President was announcing the names in each group, despite not knowing any other freshmen. The two’s names were not called until they were announcing the last group, which would be led by the Senior Class’ President herself.

 

“Alright, our last group. We have Julia Choi, Lucy Hwang, Winter Kim, Serena Lee, Joanne Shin, and Katarina Yu. Will the 6 of you come up here near the stage before we go somewhere else? For everyone else, hope all of you will enjoy this orientation program and welcome to Westlake High once again!” the Senior Class’ President said on the microphone before stepping away from the podium and joining the 6 freshmen who had moved to stand in front.

 

The 6 freshmen and the president went out of the noisy auditorium and were led by the senior to Westlake High’s soccer field, which was located not too far from the auditorium. The 6 freshmen were extremely quiet when walking as all of them were too shy to even initiate a conversation with the other. The disguised royalty was constantly sticking next to the noirette captain, where the latter continuously whispered soft, encouraging words to the disguised royalty, who was both excited and afraid of the new situation. The two South Korean natives also noticed that their groupmates were walking in pairs, with an animated, short-haired ash gray-noirette joking around with a slightly taller, fair-skinned light brunette and a short, pony-tailed noirette walking with a tall, cat-eyed noirette. The 6 freshmen were guided to the central circle of the soccer field and they all sat down in a circle, following their senior’s lead.

 

The president noticed the awkward tension between the 6 freshmen, so she quickly started, “Okay, since everyone is settled down, shall we go through the basics first? How about we introduce ourselves one by one, starting with our names, birth dates, hometowns, favorite color, favorite activity, simple family background, and a fun fact about yourself?” resulting in the freshmen’s nods.

 

However, nobody spoke up afterwards, prompting the senior to utter, “Alright, since it seems like nobody want to start, I will introduce myself first. My English name is Katy Kim and my Korean name is Kim Yerim, but please just call me Yeri. I was born in Seoul, but I moved to the US when I was 3. My birthday is on March 5th and I was born to a Korean father and an American mother. I have three younger sisters and a fun fact about me is that I want to play professional soccer for the US Women’s National Team and in the NWSL. Oh, my favorite color is purple and my favorite activity to do is playing soccer and listening to pop songs. Okay, now that I’m done, why don’t we go around the circle like this?” before pointing towards the cat-eyed noirette who was sitting on her right side.

 

The cat-eyed noirette rel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter