- 02 -

The Strings Attached
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  

 

 

 

Hyunji couldn't remember the last time she talked to someone for so long over the past five years. Even when with Seulgi they never spent that much time in a heart-to-heart conversation like when Hyunji did with Yixing.

With him, they didn't necessarily have to talk every day. They didn't even have even needed to talk for weeks. But when they did, the conversation just never stopped.

Hyunji had planned to stay only a few hours. She had tons of work to do the next day, and he had to get up early to get started. But what happened was, after an hour of wine session, they sat on the couch watching the Kingdom series on Netflix and talked about what they missed without each other presence until the morning came.

She finally decided to leave his comfortable apartment at dawn, refusing Yixing's offer to take her home, and hailed a taxi to get her back to her own apartment for a quick shower and change of clothes. A call from Chaerin got her going straight to the office without breakfast. The aftereffect of staying up late struck her after 10. She did her best to keep herself awake all day, finishing at least three glasses of americano she bought from the coffee shop across from the office building.

The rest of the week ran as busy as the previous days. She spoke to Yixing at the Ktalk, he told her about this new product his company was currently working on and that he wanted her to try the beta version when everything was set.

She also talked to Seulgi, who asked the kids to meet up at Han river park on Saturday. They used to have the meetup here during their past years as students, where they would have some chicken delivery while the boys played basketball with the locals. The boys were in odd numbers when Yixing left, and since he's back now, they wanted to have another sports session at the weekend.

Friday was that sort of typical day of the week. The day which she always tried to get through hoping the hours went faster for the incoming day-offs. She helped Chaerin sort through some documents and answer discovery requests as per her instruction, as usual, and the days could never be much duller. 

It was when Hyunji was working on some filing on the court's materials then Chaerin knocked on the assistants' room door. The other kids greeted her in a friendly manner, and Chaerin replied with a nod of her chin as she walked towards her desk.

Hyunji was curious about what she wanted. Chaerin had never been to her office room, when she needed something, all she had to do was pressing a button on her land-phone and let Hyunji do all the works.

"Hey, I never knew you have a boyfriend," she began.

"Well, I don't." Hyunji answered with a bit of confusion, and a little worried too because the volume was loud enough for everyone in the room to hear.

"Then who's that hottie out there looking for this particular Miss Choi Hyunji?"

Hyunji tilted her head, trying to understand what she had just heard. A hottie, she said? What kind of a joke was this? She didn't have an appointment with anyone today so there must be a mistake. 

"Did he give any name?" 

Hyunji turned to Kibum, the questioner, and gave him a face. He's that guy who always wanted to know about everything. If Seulgi was the number one lady gossipmonger, then Kim Kibum is the male equivalent. He knew a lot about almost all individuals in the office, especially what they did for their personal escapades. And the thing was if Kibum found this 'hottie thing' interesting, it would be a lot of gossips in the office later on. Hyunji had managed to be one of the few people to keep her personal business from him for months, and she didn't plan to break her record anytime soon.

"I don't think so," Chaerin responded to the question knowingly, "But that cutie wears this round glasses, it reminds me to...."

Hyunji didn't need to hear the rest of the sentence to guess who this mysterious visitor might be. There's only one person she had in mind who thought that his round glasses were still a trend. She got up at once and rushed to the lobby.

And as she had expected, Yixing was there, leaning lazily on the receptionist's counter with two hands hiding in the pockets of his jeans. He straightened his back once he spotted her darting to him and raised his left hand to greet. But before he said anything, Hyunji grasped his hand and pulled him away in a flash move avoiding people's curious stares.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Hyunji let go of his hands once they were outside the office building where no one would spot them. She looked over his shoulder as if making sure they were really alone then crossed her arms in annoyance.

"Hi, good afternoon, you too." Yixing responded with a frown while massaging his wrist.

Now her hands rested on her waist. "Seriously, Yixing, what the hell are you doing here? I'm working, you can't just decide to come here uninvited."

"So grumpy today," Yixing commented, still not answering her question but then started speaking as Hyunji glared at him. "Check your phone. Seriously, why would you even have one if you never pick up any call? I can help you throw it out to the Han river anytime you want."

With a sigh, Hyunji slipped her hand into her suit jacket's pocket and fished out her phone. She put it on silent mode this morning at the meeting, and she forgot to put it back into the ringing mode with all the discussions she had with the team. There were six missed calls and 3 unread messages from Yixing asking her to have some meals with him today. She put her phone back into her pocket and got back to Yixing after reading that,

"I'm busy, alright? Don't you even have jobs to do?" Now that she stood before him, she took the time to actually inspect his appearance with a judging look.

She finally got why Chaerin called him 'the cutie'. Apart from his round glasses which made him look a lot younger, he wore light blue jeans, a white short-sleeve casual top, and a red stripe white shirt on top of it. He totally didn't look like a man who's going to be thirty in a few months at all. She didn't want to admit it, but he looked handsome too with the attire.

"Of course I have jobs to do," Yixing defended himself, looking somewhat offended with the question. "But it's lunchtime, what kind of desperate mind working on lunchtime?"

Yup, there's her. Hyunji didn't say anything to that but seeing her giving him the face was enough to know that Yixing's words had shot her with a striking point.

"I had lunch," she then told him, about to decline his invitation.

"I didn't, come with me, I'll pay."

He didn't take 'no' as a response. That's how Yixing was sometimes. They could be stubborn, but it's so rare that she won it. When she did, it must have meant that he was on the wrong side and that he felt guilty.

Yixing grabbed her wrist, not as hard as she did earlier, all the way to the parking area and only released her as soon as they stopped in front of a blood-red Ferrari.

"This is your car?" Hyunji threw the question with a flat tone. In normal situation, the car would leave her with a nonplused gawk on her face. It's not every day that she would see people drove a luxurious sport car, especially at the office parking lot. Junsang indeed had a great number of well off clients, but they tended to behave more modest seeing the bad situation they were in. Today, everything was just mediocre for her.

"No, I stole it from the basement lot." he quipped, then only added when Hyunji gave him a look. "Of course it's my car,"

Hyunji let Yixing open the passenger door for her and she got in the car once he said, "Get in, Milady, let me take you to a heavenly ride,"

Yixing then took a quick detour to get on the driver seat, he looked really excited with his new belonging while raving about the specs of this car. In the meantime she listened and scanned the car's interior at the same time.

"It's a Ferrari SF90 Stradale, 4.0-liter twin-turbocharged V8 engine pumps out 769 horsepower. Look at these technologies, I've been waiting for this—please don't touch that,"

Hyunji pulled her hand on the valve on the central panel, she saw a red button there and was curious to press it when Yixing almost shrieked.

"Geez, you surprised me,"

"Well, that's the emergency button. You press it and we're connected to all emergency channels in the country, you don't want to scare these people off at our first ride, do you?" he said, and Hyunji nodded obediently. "Anyway, you know what's interesting? I'm the first person in South Korea who got this baby, what do you think?"

Hyunji nodded her head, faking the impressed face. "Good for you," she commented.

She didn't understand much about cars, so far she saw this four-way vehicle as only a means of transportation for those people with excess money to waste. She couldn't understand when people said that the model of a car was very beautiful or this one was more elegant. She couldn't get how her seniors could spend days in hesitency considering what car they wanted to buy since she thought all cars were the same. All she could feel about owning a car was this convenient feeling for a privacy and that she didn't have to be throng around people in busy hour.

Yixing knew about this enough to know that he wouldn't expect much when discussing this with her.

"How much do you spend on this car?" Hyunji asked a moment later, as soon as Yixing seemed to be done talking about what his new car was great about.

"Uh, don't ask, you don't want to know."

"Really?" She then took out his cell phone from his jacket pocket and searched about it on the internet, only to shriek open-mouthed to see 600,000 dollars of the car price. That's worth 10 years of her salary! 

"Yixing!" 

"I told you, you don't want to know," he defended himself.

She squinted her eyes, faking the judging look. "You're here to mock me, aren't you?"

"I'm not! I just—"

"Let's go," Hyunji straightened her face to the front, refusing to hear any explanation. 

"Hey..."

"Just drive, Yixing," She enjoined.

With a sigh and a small hint of a smile on his face, he put on the gear and spun the steering wheel. The car hit the street with a deafening blare as it accelerated, making some heads turn. And Hyunji couldn't help to feel amazed as to how comfortable the ride was. 

Apart from her unpopular opinion about the significance of a car, it's arguably the most comfortable car she'd ever ridden, it's no surprise to see the price.

Hyunji was not so serious with her attitude earlier. Indeed, there was one side of her that was shocked to see someone she knew well spend that much money on an expensive item. Especially considering it would take her years to possibly earn that much money. She didn't feel envious, rather considered this a waste of money.

But on the other hand, of course she couldn't possibly dictate to Yixing what he should or not buy with his own money. That which he earned for his own hard work. He'd been struggling to provide for his parents, to pay off their debts, and to provide them with a better life and a single car was much more than he deserved for himself.

He looked happy with it. Turning her head to the side, she was glad watching him drive his car through the metro city traffic with that satisfied smile on his face. It made her feel the same emotion seeing how great it must feel to be able to enjoy all of this. In the end, she understood his intention to ask her to go out with him. He wanted her to feel what he was feeling right now, and it felt as great as it could be.

Yixing took her to a coffee shop near their university. It's one of the places they often went to during school besides the library. The nostalgic feeling struck her all of a sudden once Yixing parked his car near the coffee shop. It's been over three years since the last time she went to this place. After she worked she never came here again as it's quite far from the office. Plus she no longer lived with her parents since the last year of graduate school, so there was no longer any reason for her to come all the way from the other side of the city, even when she went home every few months.

The cafe hadn't changed much. The interior remained the same; a two-story building with a modern chic design. The walls were dominated by beige and black colors, with wooden furniture adorned the not-so-big but quite a cozy hall as well as several sets of plushy armchairs of the same color arranged at a fairly quiet distance. This cafe was located in a strategic surrounding, apart from being close to one of the largest universities in South Korea, it is also in the middle of a commercial environment. Workers and students were the main customers, they're here to enjoy the shop famous coffee with its various patisseries choices people would love to try in fairly cheap price. Very student's friendly.

Hyunji sat on a table for two, flung herself on the armchair on the second floor while Yixing queued for their order. The cafe was busy at this lunch hour. All the tables were almost full of students and workers around the neighborhood. She's lucky there was still a vacant table, enough for the two of them on the side of the rail where she could clearly see what was going on downstairs. And she couldn't help but smile looking at how some people (mostly girls) stopped doing what they were doing to watch Yixing stood in the line waiting for his turn while being busy with his phone.

She could see where this attention came from. She deliberately ran off first as soon as she got out of the car, being uncomfortable with the stares (she knew it's the car their attention led to, but she got off from it and however it made her some kind of a view too). And of course, people started to spot this guy getting off from a certain Ferrari and the girls couldn't even stop giggling talking about how cute this guy was. Hyunji was still too proud to admit it, but she wouldn't argue how attractive indeed he looked today with the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter