100th Day

100th Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Worry and a coming grief fill Jessica's mind as she stares blankly on her screen monitor. It was late for her to notice that tears had escaped her eyes. The thought of her sister having to spend the remaining three months of her life starts to kill her slowly. They already asked for a few options and several Doctors but the conclusion was the same.

 

Three months or less.

 

That ing lung cancer.

 

The same cancer that killed their mom.

 

And with their father doing business in Europe, they're both left in Seoul. They're very close and had lived together but once they both started to establish their careers, Krystal left home to live independently in Japan.

Now, her sister is back and needs to live with her again at their father's house.

Jessica is not bothered by the thought of having to live with her ill sister. She wanted that. If the universe wanted to reunite with Krystal, at least she's the last person she was with. She'll take care of her to the very end. The duty she missed when her mom got sick.

 

"Yes. Everything's settled and arranged at home. Siwon will take you there. I'll be home at around eight in the evening, I need to drop by at my apartment first to get some things I left. I'll see you there." She ended the call then sighed heavily. She composed herself then walked to the conference room for a meeting.

 

The street was expectedly busy on a Monday night. The traffic was slow and in other areas, the cars were stuck. Overlapping sounds of car horns and yells are everywhere. Yuri is still adjusting to her new life in Seoul after being away for two years. She still hasn't gotten her driver's license and an apartment, so she lives with her best friend, Hyoyeon. A lot of things about her are still left unsettled. And her mind couldn't find the right state to somehow think straight and process everything, because a person fills it and nothing else. 

"Yul, c'mon! It's been more than a month since you broke up." The woman says, walking after Yuri on the street.

"Hyo, I didn't even agree to that!" Yuri stopped in front of a flower shop. "I'm just giving her some space. I mean, I guess her personal problem is already settled right? And now, I want us to fix this."

"Yul, as if she's going to listen to you. She already made up her mind. Can't you accept that?"

"Am I not personal to her? Am I not a valid reason to consider?"

"She didn't even tell you that personal problem she meant when she broke up with you. It only means that she doesn't want you to bother. So, just stop. Don't do it."

"Whatever it is Hyo, I'll do this. If it still won't work then at least I know I did my part." 

Hyoyeon sighed in defeat. "Fine. Just please update me. Call me if you need anything, okay?"

Yuri hummed then nodded. 

Hyo walked closer to her and gave a light squeeze on her shoulder. "I know you've been hurt that much already. I just don't want you to get hurt even more if this goes to nothing."

"I know Hyo. Thanks. I just... I just really want to try."

 

Jessica slowly stops her car on the side of the street across from their house. The street parking in their area was allowed which was a good thing for her since their house garage couldn't accommodate a car after it was transformed to a temporary stockroom.

She immediately noticed a tall woman, wearing a baseball cap, denim jacket, and jeans, and a pair of white sneakers. She was standing a few meters away from the front of the car under the lamppost. She just stared at her for a moment but didn't care that much. She then gets her clutch bag, jacket and duffle bag on the front seat then steps out of the car. She locks her car then walks to the gate of the house.

"Why are you here?" A short, brunette woman suddenly walks out from the house next to theirs.

Jessica snatched a glance at her and saw her standing in the middle of the street facing the woman. That's when she noticed that the tall woman was holding a flower. 

"Babe please!" The tall woman pleads.

She unlocked their gate then went inside the house.

"Ms. Jung." An old lady greeted her.

"Good evening Nurse Mina. How is she?"

"She is still awake. She already had dinner and took her medicine."

"Okay, thank you very much. I hope you find your room comfortable."

"Yes, thank you. Please do call me if you need anything. Goodnight Ms. Jung."

 

With a heavy heart trying to hold her back from going upstairs to see her sister, she bravely took a step then walked to the room. She stopped by the door holding the knob as she prepared herself to face her sister. This is the first time in two years that they'll see each other. Krystal stopped sending her photos after a year, so she didn't really know what to expect about her sister physically. but, whatever it is, she has to face her.

They both do.

They both need to welcome this change and fight together in this battle like they always have when they were young.

She took a deep breath then slowly turned the knob. She puts a smile on her face as she opens the door, finding her sister also smiling back at her.

"Soojung-ah!" She greeted her, trying to sound optimistic.

"Unnie." Krystal weakly calls. She's sitting on the bed, her back resting on two pillows on the headboard with a blanket covering her lower body. She is wearing a baby pink sweater over a pair of dark blue pajamas and a gray turban.

Jessica couldn't keep the lie on her face anymore. She sat next to her sister and held her face with a hand. Her thumb brushes the dark bags under Krystal's eyes and she stares at her pale and dry lips that were once soft and cherry.

Krystal holds the hand on her face as tears escape her eyes. "I've missed you Unnie."

Jessica pulled her for a tight hug as they both sob. Nothing fills the room except for their weeps. 

"Soojung-ah!" She then held Krystal's face with both hands. "Didn't you know that I was trying to sound happy when I entered your room? So we won't look like this mess!" 

"Unnie! That's what I did too! But I can't! Why did you touch my face? That's the reason I cried!"

"Pabo!" Jessica said and hugged her again.

It took a while until both of them calmed down. A weird look at each other followed by giggles took them out from the heavy and problematic mood of their meeting. Jessica took a few sheets of napkins on the side of the bed then started wiping the tears that wet her sister's face.

"Don't worry too much now. I'm here and I promise you, we'll fight this together. Okay?"

Krystal nodded weakly. "I'm... I'm sorry Unnie. You should have been living comfortably at your apartment and here you are. You even let me use your room. I'm sorry for being too much of a headache."

"Yah! You're never a problem to me. Besides, you need to use my room because it's bigger. Nurse Mina can move freely and more comfortably... And as you see," Jessica points to the table beside the bed by the window. "I have set up my workplace here so I'll be with you during my days off or if I need to finish something when I get home. Okay?"

Krystal tried to show a smile. "Thank you Unnie."

"Just ing go home!" A yell from a woman outside.

"Whoa... what's that Unnie?"

Jessica takes a peek through the window and sees the tall woman receiving a slap from the brunette woman.

"Ouch!" Jessica mumbled.

The latter walks hurriedly back to the house as the tall woman was left there, standing alone.

Jessica clicks her tongue then sits back on the bed again. "Our neighbor just slapped the woman. Yikes!"

"Really, Unnie?"

"I saw that woman when I parked the car. She was standing there holding a flower."

"Oh... Wait, our neighbor is a woman, I assume?"

"Yes."

They shared a gaze then nodded. Understanding each other as if they are talking through mental telepathy.

"Sad. What did they even fight about?"

"Who knows? Anyway, I'll just go clean up then, we'll rest."

Jessica kissed the back of Krystal's palm then smiled at her before she left the room.

 

"Yul, just go home."

Yuri couldn't say anything as disappointment is everywhere inside her. She was thankful enough that the street was empty when she received the slap from her lover. 

"Yul, please." Hyoyeon sounded worried.

"Okay. I'll go home now. I still have another chance tomorrow."

She ended the call then stared at the house in front of her. She suddenly saw the light go off through the window of a room.

Babe, please. I'll come back here again tomorrow. Just give us a chance to talk over things. Please. I miss you.

She sent the message to a contact on her phone named "Babe."

 

 

She waited.

 

 

And waited.

 

 

It took her another hour standing on the street but there was no reply. She took a deep breath then shook her head. She looked at the flower in her hand then threw it in the trash bin on the side.

With a heavy heart, trying to hold her back from staying there until morning, she bravely took a step then walked away.

 

***

 

The weekend came and as usual, Jessica stayed at home and spent the whole day talking to Krystal. They both took a nap in the afternoon until her assistant called her regarding work. She then decided to do it in the evening since it's not something that needs rushing.

Jessica and Krystal just finished their dinner. They both chugged from their glasses of iced tea then wiped off their mouths. Jessica takes out the tray to the sink then goes back to their room again.

"Unnie."

"Yes?" Jessica just wears her specs then starts typing on her laptop.

"I... I saw the calendar."

"Oh?" She continues to type something.

"Why are you marking the dates? Is it because you're counting down?" Krystal asked unhappily. She bows her head then stares at her hands on her lap.

Jessica was quick to notice her voice so she removed her glasses then stood up from her chair. She sat next to Krystal and held both her hands.

"Soojung-ah... It's not for the countdown." She smiled. "Instead, I'm counting the days that I am with you. I want us to prove your doctors wrong. I promise you, we will mark the days more than the time they told you. We could even mark the whole year or more. Just promise me to stay strong and have something to look forward to everyday."

Krystal smiled at her understanding what she meant.

"Unnie, just go home every day. I only look forward to seeing you each day."

Jessica smiled at her, trying her best to hold back her tears. She then pulls her sister for a hug. "I love you Krys."

When she went back to her seat, she noticed the same tall woman standing outside again.

"Soojung-ah... she's there again."

"The handsome Unnie is there?"

Jessica nodded with tight lips not taking off her gaze at the woman.

"What does she have now?"

"Well, she's holding a white paper bag. I assume either some sweet pastries are inside or a cake."

Krystal nodded. "Hasn't it been two weeks already?"

"Eighteen days to be exact." Jessica shortly answered.

"Wow. She must really love that girl." Krystal complimented.

"But, obviously, the girl doesn't love her anymore. She wouldn't let her wait there every day if she's concerned about her."

"You're right Unnie."

 

***

 

After several meetings throughout the day, Jessica made it home a little later than usual. And as expected, She sees the tall woman again right on the same spot but this time, she was with the woman who slapped her. She was handing a huge bouquet to the latter but obviously, the brunette girl is resisting it as both her arms are crossed.

Jessica didn't want to eavesdrop or meddle with them, at the very least, but she's always caught off guard. 

"Just go home!"

"Babe please..."

Jessica didn't really want to see what the two are up to, but her mind just reacted the way it wanted. She stole a gaze at them and there she saw the short woman throw the bouquet right on the face of the tall woman. And she was sure that in a split second, her eyes met with hers. Feeling ashamed, she immediately turns her head to the gate then unlocks it.

"Don't ing call me that!" The short woman yelled then hurriedly walked inside the house.

"Babe!" Yuri calls in frustration.

That... wasn't very nice. Jessica thought the moment she closed the gate.

"Soojung, I think your handsome Unnie has a nice body." She says as she stands behind her office chair, looking outside the window.

"Hmm? Why is that?"

"Well, since her jacket is tied on her waist, which is a first, I could see her undershirt. She's wearing a muscle tank top. She has broad shoulders and has some visible cuts on her arms."

"Ooohhh... Like your taste?" Krystal teased in a y tone.

"Krystal Jung!" She glares at her sister who's holding back her laughter.

"Unnie, I'm just saying. Does she look like your ex?"

"Again, Krystal Jung!" She then crossed her a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter