Chapter 1

A different World

Brielle look into the full-size mirror in the master bedroom admiring her perfect fitted black dress which showed off her natural curves. she took in a deep breath realizing that this was the day she was finally going to meet Seung Jae's family for the first time. Seung Jae and Brielle have been dating for about three years now they met in college in the states. after graduation Seung Jae receive a phone call from his father offering a position in helping his father run his stock business. Not wanting to leave his love he convinces Brielle to come along. This was all new to Brielle as she never saw herself leaving family to move across the country to be with a man. Seung Jae was different he was special to her. It's been about six months since they moved and it was now fall in October It was Chuseok time in Korea and Seung Jae decided it would be a perfect time to introduce Brie to the family before he was avoiding Brielle meeting the family because he wanted to make sure it was right timing; he was his mother only child so he wanted to make sure he introduces someone special to her. 

Seung Jae walked into the room and walked over to Brielle checking out her attire he came behind wrapping her arms around her waist. She quickly turned around giving him a quick kiss following a smile.  

"I'm really happy you came to stay with me. Don’t worry I will make sure you stay happy" he smiled still holding her in his arms. "Come on let's go we have a little drive." He let go and headed out the room. Brie followed along grabbing her purse. They pulled up into the drive way of this massive traditional Korean house.  

"Oh my...this is beautiful" Brielle stated getting out the car she made adjustments to her dress to make sure she was very presentable for Seung Jae's family. She was really nervous Korean parents are known to be very blunt and honest so they will either like you or not. She tried to stay confident as Seung Jae walked over to her grabbing her hand. "It's okay babe. Everything will be fine." He could tell she was nervous and he didn’t want her to be uncomfortable. Walking up to the door Seung Jae reach for the doorbell 

"Wait!" Brielle grab his hand from touching the caller.  

"What! What's wrong?" He looked at her with wide eyes 

"Jae what If they don't like me? What if they tell us we can't be?" 

"Babe don’t worry about that...they will like you." He brushes the side of her cheek with the back of his hand.  

"But I'm not Korean...I'm just..." 

"Don’t be insecure...I love you and they will accept anyone that I love. Okay?" He stated looking into her eyes. "Come here" he grab her arm and brought her into a hug.  

"Okay." She hugged him back trying to get herself together. He then took another chance and rang the bell. Immediately the door opens as if they knew someone was there.  

"Auntie. Heyyy" Seung Jae greeted giving her a big hug.  

"Ah my Seung Jae! How have you been!? Come in! Come in!" She backed up to give him space to enter. He grabs Brie's hand and enter into the house.  She took a glance at Brielle not giving any type of acknowledgement to her and then turn back to Seung Jae. After removing their shoes, they walked further into the house.  

"Oh auntie. I want to introduce you." He said moving his hand towards Brie. "This is Brielle my girlfriend" 

His aunt took a moment just looking at Brielle like she was trying to find something through her eyes. The imitating eye stare cause her to feel even more nervous but she was not going to let them see her sweat. She decided to break the ice.  

"Hi my name is Brielle" she bowed performing proper greeting. "It's nice to meet you" she smiled.  

His aunt gave a replied head nodded and started talking to Seung Jae in Korean. Brielle was somewhat familiar with Korean as Seung Jae taught her while they were together in the states. She only knew basic conversational words but by his aunt's tone and body language Brie could tell she wasn’t feeling her. Their conversation got interrupted as a short, petite woman with shoulder length black hair wearing beautiful sparkly Burgandy dress approach them.  

"Ah my Seung Jae how are you son!?" She came close to Seung Jae giving him a nice long hug. It's been a while since she seen her son. He would visit once every three months but due to studying and working as he was completing his degree it was hard to visit as often as before. 

"Hey mom how is you?" He hugged her back tightly he then releases from his mom and brought Brielle in front of her. "Mom this is Brielle my girlfriend"  

His mom took a look at Seung Jae and then back at Brielle.  

"Ah hey Brie...Ella? Nice to meet you" she bowed and came back up and shook her hand. 

"Nice to meet you to mom I've heard so much about you.." Brielle replied with a bow. 

"Oh really!? Oh, I didn’t know my Seung Jae was in love so soon already...America must have had him move pretty fast." She joked but by the glimpse of its Brielle knew she probably was faking it. her insecurities were starting to come into play and it was difficult to believe she was sincere, after experiencing his aunt reaction she knew it was going to be awkward from then on. Seung Jae seem like there was no difference he continues to introduce me to everyone in his family that were there. Some of s seem happy to see me others not so happy but respectfully greeted me. After enjoying a wonderful meal, we all said our goodbyes and head out back to the car. The drive home seems rather quiet.  

"Babe what's wrong?" Seung Jae asked grabbing her hand and using the other hand to drive.  

"Seung Jae...I don’t think your family is too fond of me" she places her other hand on top of his. 

"Ah it's okay they just met you..they will warm up to you don’t worry too much, okay?" He picked up her hand and kissed it.  

"Yeah. Maybe your right." She some music and just enjoyed listening to the music on the way back home. Entering the home Brielle removed her shoes on plop on the nice leather sofa in the living room. "Ah it feels so good to be home."  

Seung Jae didn’t bother to join her he walked into bathroom to wash up for tonight. Not even realizing it Brielle passed out on the couch.