[3]

The 6th Date

It had been a week since his message with his sister Ahra. It was also the day when his mother sent him her contact, asking him to introduce himself already. Sungjin hadn’t time for that, at least not last week, when they were so busy practicing. Today, though, was a day off before their concert tomorrow. They always had a day off before a concert to make sure they regain their energy back after endless practices. As the other members were busy playing games or sleeping and he had no distraction, so he thought it was the right time to contact her. He sat on the sofa in their living room, preparing himself for some introduction.

 

Sungjin

Good afternoon, Hyerim-ssi.

This is Park Sungjin.

 

Sungjin frowned. Should he really disclose himself as Park Sungjin? What if she was a My Day? – nah, what if she was a hater? A reporter? It wasn’t safe, was it?

 

Sungjin erased his text and rewrite it again.

 

Sungjin

Good afternoon, Hyerim-ssi.

This is Kim Sungjin.

 

Sungjin almost pressed the send button when he frowned once again and blinked. Wait - this girl knew his mother, didn’t she? Why would he be a Kim when his mother is Park?

 

He let out a big sigh, realizing how stupid he was. He undid his stupidity and sent the message to her.

 

It didn’t take long before she replied,

Hyerim

Good afternoon, Sungjin-ssi.

Nice to meet you.

 

Oh, it was quick, he thought. Then, he spent a good five-minute thinking what he should say next. What do people say to approach someone they hadn’t met? Sungjin had never been in a blind date before either, so he knew nothing.

 

He tried looking some tips from the internet: ‘what people say to initiate a date’, ‘What to say to approach someone’, ‘What to say to introduce yourself’ before he found himself feeling stupid again. He sighed, then chose to just say things as raw as they were in his head. Hopefully it wouldn’t come off as something impolite/unfriendly.

 

Sungjin

Nice to meet you too.

Hyerim-ssi, I’m sorry to bring this up immediately, but I suppose you might have known the reason why I’m reaching out to you.

I think we need to settle a few things as to not make any misunderstanding.

 

Another reply came in no time.

 

 

Hyerim

Right, I agree. Should we meet anytime soon?

 

Sungjin’s mouth dropped as she seemed to be so cool with her answer. He thought she’d try to bring up some more things into the conversation out of politeness, but she was just as straightforward as he was, which somehow made him feel relieved.

 

After setting up the time and place (which wasn’t as hard as he thought it would be), he didn’t prolong the conversation anymore. It was enough. He was about to put back his phone and went to the kitchen for some lunch when another message popped up.

 

Hyerim

By the way, Sungjin-ssi. I’ve been wanting to ask you something if it’s okay.

 

Sungjin

What is it?

 

Hyerim

Are you probably… I mean, your name reminds me of a member of a group band called Day6. He’s also from Busan. Kekeke.

 

Hyerim

But then again, it can’t be, right?

 

Sungjin frowned.

 

She… didn’t know him?

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

Hyerim tilted her head, staring at the text on her phone with no expression.

 

Sungjin

I am him.

 

“Ey, it can’t be. No idol would just easily disclose their information like that.” Jisoo, who was sitting next to her, shook her head in disbelieve. Hyerim told Jisoo about this as soon as she heard it from Mrs. Park. Her logic too, wouldn’t believe it. She wasn’t a My Day (Day6’s fandom), and neither was Jisoo, but they were ARMYs and Kpop fans in general, so although they didn’t know much and didn’t listen to Day6 on a daily the way they did to BTS’s, they still knew them. Could there be someone living in Seoul and not know them?

 

But the way he said it so easily made it look fishy.

 

“It’d be a problem for them. I mean, they wouldn’t give you his personal number too. It’s either a lie or a joke.” Jisoo continued.

 

Sungjin

With that being said, may I ask you to help me keep everything about us a secret for the time being?

 

Hyerim frowned and shook her head. No, no. Jisoo was right. He couldn’t be so honest about it.

 

Hyerim

Hahaha. Right answer. Like I would believe you 🤪

 

 

 


 

 

 

They decided to meet in the café near her apartment before her night shift. It was the only day of the week that Sungjin could spare, which happened to be the same day as her night shift. As she came earlier than him, she chose a table near the window and ordered a cup of Ice Americano and a slice of mixed fruit cheesecake.

 

Hyerim looked outside the window. The sky was so clear and refreshing, with perfect white clouds that seemed like cotton – the kind that she liked the most. She watched as people were walking side by side in summer clothes, holding ice creams, holding hands. Groups of teenagers laughing; flower shops; people in their bike – all the scenery that she could only see once she went outside, but she mostly spent her free time sleeping in and recharge. She was almost at the busiest year of her residency so there was not much time to hang around. If it wasn’t for Sungjin, she’d have been spending her time sleeping, for she wouldn’t get enough sleep later that night. However, the view of summer activities in front of her made her think it was indeed nice spending time outside every once in a while.

 

Hyerim hummed, taking a bite of her cheesecake. It must be fun spending time with your loved ones, too.

 

Not knowing what to do, she took out her phone and put on her earphone, scrolling around some BTS videos on youtube. She was in the middle of watching one of BTS concert when a man in a black oversized T shirt, black jeans, a mask, and a cap walked through the door, making her look up. She didn’t mean to stare, but his way of clothing was so peculiar and her current seating that was facing the door didn’t help either. Narrowing her eyes, she tried to focus on the man before she realized he was walking towards her.

 

She realized something and gasped.

 

No. Wait. Wait. He couldn’t be.


No no no.


What.

 

Hyerim panicked as the man got closer. No, no. He couldn’t be Day6’s Sungjin. There was no way in this world she was having an arranged marriage with a superstar. No matter how biased she was towards BTS, she wouldn’t even imagine having real relationship with anyone from BTS. She was biased, but she was rational enough. It was just a no.

 

“Hello,” The man who was now standing in front of her nodded at her, before pulling the chair in front of her and sat there casually, not minding Hyerim’s already widened eyes and thumping heart. He was about to open his mask (all the sudden?) if Hyerim didn’t quickly hold his mask back to prevent him from showing his face. She carefully yet quickly took a glance around the café and then looked back at the person she was sure was Day6’s Sungjin, with eyes full of horror.

 

“Hey! Are you crazy?” She half whispered half hissed.

 

She noticed Sungjin was taken aback when her hand slightly touched his hand as she held his mask, but she didn’t care. This guy was going to expose himself like a fool. What kind of an idol just showed his face around? It was summer, most people were practically outside. It wasn’t like the café that they were in wasn’t occupied too. There were people everywhere.

 

“Pardon me?” Sungjin raised his eyebrows, seemingly shocked.

 

“You’re seriously that Park Sungjin for God’s sake!” She glared at him. He hadn’t opened his mask yet, but she knew for sure it was him from his eyes. His eyes were different. It was something well-known, she supposed. She knew about Day6 just as much. “It’s the public!”

 

Slowly, Sungjin pulled back his hands and nodded, fixing his cap and mask. “I’ve told you, haven’t I?” He said in perfect Busan accent, half nagging, which made her let out a long sigh.

 

“I thought you were joking…” Hyerim whined painfully, dropping her head on the table as she couldn’t bring herself to look up at Sungjin.

 

She suddenly felt an urge to cry right this very moment. If she cried, it wasn’t even tears out of joy. It was… hard. Her life was hard. She just didn’t even know how to feel and how to react. Although she wasn’t a My Day, having an idol in front to her was crazy, but her excitement of meeting an idol was nothing to compare to her concern about Sungjin exposing himself, and realizing he was the person that her parents wanted her to marry was something beyond imagination. She wasn’t even sure how this was happening. Her whole life must’ve been a joke.

 

“But…” Sungjin sounded worried now. “Are you okay, Hyerim-ssi?”

 

Hyerim was mentally crying now.

 

“Do you think I’m okay right now though….”