[1]

The 6th Date

Sungjin was 29 when his parents told him that they were considering an arranged marriage for him. They said it was because he was already at the age when he needed to consider marriage, which he hadn’t – at all. His parents had never seen him dating (the last time he dated a girl was when he was in junior high school?) They had never heard him being close to any woman, which worried them because even if he hadn’t married yet, he had to, at least, have a woman with a plan to marry in mind. Wouldn’t it be normal for people his age to have a girlfriend? 

 

Sungjin didn’t understand where the idea came from. He was only 28 – what age to marry? Besides, it wasn’t like Sungjin didn’t want to date. He just couldn’t. Sungjin had told them several times that he didn’t date because he was under a contract that didn’t let him be in a relationship, let alone a marriage, but even if his parents said they understood that they argued that most idols were probably in a relationship – they just hid it well. They even said that these days, companies didn’t really forbid them like in the old times. They saw the news where celebrities (they even told him their names) were confirmed dating even by the company. They thought that if it kept going like this, Sungjin wouldn’t meet anyone once he was ready to get married (which Sungjin didn’t get, because – he was just 28? He hadn’t even reached 30 yet, what was there to be so anxious about?)

 

Sungjin could never argue with his parents. It would be such a hassle and pointless because their parents always had 1000 reasons to make everything make sense. On top of that, Sungjin had never objected to his parents before. And so, if it wasn’t something criminal or violating the law, he’d most probably follow his parents. 

 

But this one was different though? Being in marriage was a lifetime decision. How could he just meet a person his parents chose, marry her, and live the rest of his life with her?

 

However, their parents wouldn’t budge to any excuse Sungjin offered. And although being in an arranged marriage was definitely not his plan, being a good boy he was, he didn’t throw a fuss about it so much. He wasn’t in a relationship, anyway. He had no one to consider in the meantime. It wasn’t like he’d hurt anyone (nor him) if he was to be introduced to some random woman – was it?

 

Anyway, as his parents were dead firm about their idea, Sungjin just explained his conditions in detail, so that his parents would understand every single consequence he’d face (as it was their idea in the first place). He told them through the phone, and those conditions were:

 

First, Sungjin had to at least finish his contract with his current company. He didn’t want to cause any problem that would badly affect the band. He was apparently living the last year of his contract, so the marriage shouldn’t be earlier than that – they agreed. It wouldn’t be a problem.

 

Second, couldn’t be anywhere near his military time. Not only he would be gone, but it would also be such a hassle to arrange a marriage around that time. He was going to enlist soon and would only be back in two years (he hoped his parents would give up because of this) – they agreed. They didn’t expect it would be so soon anyway.

 

Third, if anything went wrong with the marriage, their parents wouldn’t demand much of him – it wasn’t like he chose his wife himself – they agreed. They even said they’d take the blame if anything were to happen.

 

Sungjin thought of more excuses that might cancel his parents’ idea, but he couldn’t come up with any. Instead, his parents told him their condition, which was (actually) pretty easy and made sense: They just wanted Sungjin to meet her five times this year with a plan to marry her – which meant he needed to be a really gentleman towards her without any prejudice. During the time, he could also meet other girls. If after meeting the person he was sure he didn’t like her, or if he happened to find another person that he liked, then the whole marriage plan would be canceled (they said the woman had agreed to this as well). But if he didn’t meet anyone, then he should really consider her.

 

It didn’t sound so bad, did it?

 

So Sungjin quickly agreed – thinking, oh, it made sense then. He still had a year to find a woman he’d love. That wasn’t so hard. In fact, honestly, if he wanted to, he was permitted to be in a relationship (his management wasn’t so strict about it, although they hoped he’d focus more on his career first). It was more like his own concern - He didn’t want to focus on two things at the same time, especially when he was the leader of the group and when it came to a serious relationship.

 

But when the call ended, the reality just hit his realization: He only had four months before enlisting, not to mention they were in the middle of a concert tour.