Altitude

Let’s Leave Things in This City
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

To anyone, it was an adorable discovery.

 

Karina, the strong leader, armed with a gripping visual, a stage presence that could kill—

 

—frightened with the thought of riding a plane. Or, frightened was a bit too much. A charming confession riddled with a bit of meekness, reminding us that indeed, she was human.

 

Because it was relatable. Your first flight to a foreign country.

 

“…someone must hold my hands”

 

Maybe on that end, it was a little less relatable. Fans revel in this, due to the fact that she’d go as far as needing a hand to hold. And of course, if it was about finding a companion for comfort, whether it be on a long-haul flight or a sailing ship, then it’s safe to surmise that—

 

“I won’t get on the plane then.”

 

The remark goes seemingly unnoticed by the girls, or at least, it was branded humor for them. A classic Winter joke.

 

But Jimin hears it though. She’s long internalized the humor, so she was half-expecting it. Where innocent jokes, touches, and gazes are mingled with thin lines.

 

Because why would Minjeong assume she was the one sitting next to her?

 

Because it was beyond question.

 

Because if there were a list of people she preferred to stay by her side and hold her hand on the ascend, Minjeong would be first.

 

Because, because, because…

 

 

"Never regret thy fall,

O Icarus of the fearless flight

For the greatest tragedy of them all

Is never to feel the burning light."

 

- Oscar Wilde

 

 

To say they were excited was an understatement.

 

But for the most part, it was a quiet ride to the airport.

 

Jimin understands. It was still a bit overwhelming for them, this week of firsts. Their first face-to-face concert, their first anniversary, their own special event, and now their first airport photos.

 

She knows this because she knows her members, and they know her.

 

To an extent.

 

Aeri snickers.

 

“What, what??” Yizhuo asks.

 

“Minjeongie’s got her phone ready!”

 

“No I don’t!” Minjeong retorts.

 

“Ready for what?”

 

“For our airport photos. She just needs to refresh the page an—”

 

At this point Aeri’s voice has gotten muffled, Minjeong’s pout turns into a smirk, and Yizhuo, being Yizhuo, shrill laughs.

 

“Ok that’s enough girls. Minjeong, you can stop covering now. We’re almost at the drop-off,” their manager says.  

 

Jimin lets out a small giggle, which almost reaches her eyes. She then looks ahead, then catches a glimpse of the rear-view mirror. Manager Unnie is looking at her, with a mix of get a hold of these kids please and…

 

concern?

 

She flashes a reassuring smile that gives solace to whatever her manager was communicating, and so the latter returns a nod and gets ready.

 

The camera flashes were already in view.

 

The girls are readying themselves as well, checking their phones and other belongings they’d have to carry.

 

Jimin carries with her a bit of anxiety.

 

Was she obvious? Have they noticed? Surely they wouldn’t take the plane-thing seriously…

 

The car door opens.

 

She lets go of the breath she’s been holding.

 

Enough of that. There’s nothing to worry about. Takeoff will be a breeze, it’ll be over as soon as it starts, you don’t need to hold anyone’s hand.

 

And so she walks out, flashes greeting the smile beneath her mask.

 

Flashes greeting Karina.

 

 

She doesn’t know what she prefers.

 

Black leather bomber jacket Minjeong or white hoodie with her favorite white cardigan Minjeong.

 

With the dozens of looks the girl could pull off, Jimin was just as smitten as the fans were.

 

She then looks at herself in the mirror, proud that all this blue came out well. The blue Y-3 beanie and the blue hair, the latter of which she missed the volume of, probably because some of the thickness went to that blue Givenchy wool sweater instead.

 

“Jimin unnie, look!”

 

Minjeong shows her phone screen, where photos of the four girls are on display. They all have eye smiles, which Jimin finds adorable.

 

“Wah, that’s so cute! I can’t believe MYs were able to catch that so quickly.”

 

“I have the least eye smile.”

 

“Don’t be silly.”

 

“It’s true! Look, the three of you could leave the sun jobless at this point.”

 

“Are you fangirling over us?”

 

“Just you three.”

 

“Minjeong.”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Stop pouting.”

 

“So what if I do?”

 

“It’s too cute, I might have to hug you all flight long.”

 

A beat.

 

Minjeong’s blush makes her a bit braver. It was, after all, a rare sight.

 

They hear their manager calling.

 

“Can I fangirl over you, then?”

 

“What?”

 

“If you fangirl over us three, then that leaves me to fangirl over you, right?”

 

“Yah, unni—”

 

“Girls!!”

 

“On our way out!” Karina says, loud enough for their manager to hear. She turns back to Minjeong.

 

“Just kidding, jagi. I know there’s a long list.” After which Jimin gives her an innocent smile, and saunters away.

 

“Y-yah!! Unnie!’

 

Jimin just laughs.

 

There’s a light feeling in her chest. At this point, Jimin feels that there’s nothing to worry about after all.

 

 

Jimin feels as if she’s worrying about anything at this point.

 

They’re walking through the boarding bridge, cabin crew awaiting them at the end.

 

She takes a deep breath (again), harnessing whatever form of level-headedness and maturity she had gained over the years.

 

When Jimin is nervous, she breaks her fear down into bits.

 

What is she scared of?

 

Is she afraid of the fact that they were about to board a thousand-ton metal tube with massive engines that’s going to rise from the ground and fly?

 

Probably. Who wouldn’t? She thinks.

 

She puffs her right cheek.

 

Or is she afraid of what happens after takeoff—the turbulence? What if they go through a storm? Or is it the fact that they’d be thousands of feet in the air at hundreds of miles per hour and that anything could happen?

 

Jimin doesn’t think she has a fear of heights. She doesn’t really get affected by movies, either. So whatever outrageous scenario comes up in her head, she’d find it comical instead. Snakes on a plane? Pfft. Has anyone made a black mamba joke ye—

 

She almost misses the flight attendant’s greeting. She gives a bow of her own, and a smile matching that of the other (who seems pretty starstruck).

 

Jimin carries on through the aisle.

 

It must be something psychological.

 

She remembers K-Culture Festival. She was out of breath after their performance. Most viewers would’ve assumed that it was due to the dancing, but she and her members knew she had far more stamina than that.

 

It was her first greeting before a live audience. As the leader of aespa. All eyes were on them.

 

When Jimin is nervous, she breaks her fear down into bits.

 

Because that’s all she can do. It doesn’t matter what fear she’s facing at t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter