Self lies also expire

Lockdown- Apartment 221
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Yongsun was a 25-year-old hairdresser who moved to Seul one year before.

The brunette expected to have a better life than in the countryside. But in the end, she had to work 12 hours a day to get by.

An ad in a newspaper offered cheap rent downtown. Nonetheless, the girl found out it was a trap to get girls to work as es.

After spending 3 weeks sleeping at hostels, the black-haired girl heard a client saying that she was moving to Busan and her current roommate would need someone to share the rent with.

Excited about that opportunity, the hairdresser asked the contact of the person and sent her a message scheduling a visit to the apartment.

Yongsun went to the place on the following Sunday because it was her day off and met Moonbyul.

The other girl seemed very serious and quiet but they chatted about the value of the rent and some basic rules to avoid arguments.

Moonbyul was a bartender and she was around Yongsun's age.

The girl had brown hair and lots of tattoos but the hairdresser didn't think she was a rebel or party lover.

When Yongsun said she was ready to move, the taller one said:

__ Before you decide, I have another rule. Very important to me.

__ Okay. What is it?

__ We don't bring our dates here. Neither boyfriends nor girlfriends are allowed.__ The skinny girl exclaimed.

__ Why would you mention girlfriends?__ Yongsun forced a smile.

__ Because I'm a lesbian. __ Moonbyul shrugged.

The hairdresser hesitated for a couple of minutes, trying to pick the words carefully:

__ I'm not. So I hope we can...

Moonbyul understood the stranger pretty quickly and laughed sarcastically:

__ You don't think a gay person is automatically attracted to everyone that shares the same gender, do you? Don't worry. You're not my type.

__ I had no intention to offend you...It's just...

__ Whatever. I'm used to it. If you're staying, I need the rent paid every 30th of the month.

__ Fair enough. When can I move in?

__ Tomorrow, if you want.__ Moonbyul responded.

A bit embarrassed, the brunette opened her wallet and handed the other girl the money they had agreed on.

The taller one grabbed a copy of the apartment key and gave it to her new roommate.

Despite that rough start, they developed a respectful relationship.

The following 8 months went by pretty fast.

People don't have time to notice life when they work like crazy.

Yongsun would be out of the apartment from 7 to 9 pm most days and Moonbyul would go to work around 8 and get back at 4 or 5 am.

Both tried their best to keep the place neat and it was almost as if the apartment was empty.

And then, covid-19 took over the world and they were told to go home.

Moonbyul thought that the government would control the situation in one week and that things would get back to normal at least in South Korea, where the population was used to following the basic sanitary rules.

The bartender couldn't be more equivocated.

Yongsun freaked out after the 9th day because everything they would hear on tv was really bad.

The pandemic was spreading and nobody knew much about it.

The hairdresser wanted to go visit her parents and the bartender had to stop her.

Moonbyul argued that she also missed her family very much but they needed to be strong for those they loved. Especially because older people seemed to be more fragile to the new virus.

The duo started running out of food and basic products in general. So the handsome one put on a mask and ran to a grocery store nearby.

Being locked in the apartment for two weeks, Moonbyul got shocked by the emptiness outside.

The young woman could never imagine that she would live to walk around Seul and see no cars on the roads and hear no sounds.

Most stores were closed and she only saw two men walking on the opposite sidewalk, far away.

When she got back to apartment 221, the brunette followed all the security measures to keep her roommate safe and then showered after the groceries were in the proper place.

Yongsun asked lots of questions but Moonbyul tried to make the reality sound lighter.

The hairdresser realized that and felt grateful for the attempt.

The fourth week hit them with anxiety and both got moody.

There wasn't anything interesting to do inside. 

Not even the tv shows seemed entertaining.

After almost losing her mind, Yongsun annoyed Moonbyul until the bartender accepted having a haircut.

While washing the skinny girl's hair, Yongsun talked about her older sister and their parents.

Later, Moonbyul shared funny stories about her younger sisters, their parents, and even their grandparents.

The hairdresser got surprised to know that the Moons lived together. Even the elderly.

The following night was fun for the black-haired one.

Trying to change their routine, Moonbyul acted as a DJ and they had their private disco.

The days passed in slow motion. So the two girls would have peaks of depression followed by some excitement whenever one of them had an excuse to get out.

The third month came and the reports didn't give any good news. 

In fact, it was suffocating to know the number of people infected and the growth of deceased 

Moonbyul cried and confessed she was afraid for her grandparents, who were in their late 70s.

Not knowing how to cheer the bartender up, Yongsun went to the supermarket and bought a lot of beer cans and soju bottles.

The brown-haired one laughed at the view of so much booze and asked if her roommate remembered that agglomeration was forbidden in their new reality.

To Moonbyul's surprise, the black-haired one declared she wanted to get wasted. Even if it was just the two of them.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter