Two | Escape?

Waves of Illusion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Wooyoung turned back around, Mingi was nowhere to be seen. For a moment he thought the tall male had become overwhelmed and ran off, but then he happened to look down and saw the disturbed water where Mingi had fallen in. The Commodore's heart sank. "Mingi? Mingi! My God." 

Wooyoung hurriedly ed his outer coat and threw it aside, meaning to jump in after the other, but a lieutenant named Changbin stopped him.

"The rocks!" He exclaimed, holding Wooyoung back. "Sir, it's a miracle that he missed them!"

 

Back onboard the Interceptor, Hongjoong and the two Navy soldiers saw Mingi fall into the icy waves. Hongjoong glanced at the pair. "Will you be saving him then?"

Baekhyun looked down in embarrassment. "I can't swim."

Hongjoong turned to look at Chanyeol, who simply stared at him in silence. The pirate sighed and began removing his hat, pistol and sword. "Pride of the King's Navy you are." He quipped as he handed the guards his things. "Do not lose these." He demanded before diving in after Mingi.

 

As the now-unconscious Mingi slowly sank to the ocean floor, the medallion that hung around his neck floated out from the confines of his clothes. Once the gold came in contact with the salty liquid it pulsed, rippling the water and sending out a call to...something. 

The change this call brought about was immediately noticeable. Fluffy white clouds darkened menacingly, promising foul weather soon. The wind turned cold and began to blow in the complete opposite direction. 

Chanyeol looked at his companion in confusion. "What was that?" He asked, noting the shift in the air. Baekhyun just shrugged helplessly.

 

Below the waves Hongjoong finally reached Mingi, ripping off the heavy coat and outer vest before swimming upwards with the younger man limp in his arms. Gasping for breath as he broke the surface, Chanyeol and Baekhyun reached down to help lift Mingi onto the dock.

"He's not breathing!" Chanyeol exclaimed as he looked the male over. 

"Move!" Hongjoong said, shoving him aside to kneel over Mingi. Pulling a knife from his trousers, the pirate sliced through the laces of the corset-vest, releasing its tight hold on Mingi. The man responded immediately, rolling over and spluttering violently as he expelled the seawater from his lungs. 

"Never would've thought of that." Bakehyun spoke up, surprise evident in his voice. 

Hongjoong shook his head in disappointment. "Clearly you've never been to Singapore." A glint on Mingi's chest caught his eye and he looked down, seeing the medallion on its chain. "Where did you get that?" He murmured to himself, looking puzzled. 

 

Wooyoung appeared then, Governor Song by his side. Changbin and several other soldiers marched along behind them. Seeing Hongjoong hovering over Mingi, he immediately drew his sword and pointed at the red-haired male. "On your feet." He ordered. 

Governor Song reached down to help his son up. "Mingi, are you alright?"

Mingi nodded as a blanket was wrapped around him. "Yes, I'm fine."

Governor Song noticed Chanyeol holding the cut open corset-vest. Unnerved by the older man's gaze, he swiftly pointed at Hongjoong. The governor glared at the man, incensed on his son's behalf. "Shoot him!"

"Father!" Mingi cried out, fixing the grey-haired man with a sharp glare of his own before whirling on Wooyoung. "Commodore, do you really intend to kill my rescuer?"

A touch of a smile upturned Wooyoung's lips as he sheathed his sword. "I believe thanks are in order." He declared, offering his hand for Hongjoong to shake. 

The instant their hands touched, Wooyoung gripped Hongjoong's wrist tightly, yanking back the sleeve of his shirt to reveal the "P" branded into the skin there. Wooyoung smirked. "Had a brush with the East India Trading company, did we, pirate?"

Governor Song looked even more offended at the thought of a filthy pirate touching his beloved child. "Hang him." He ordered the soldiers.

"Keep your guns on him, men." Wooyoung said. "Changbin, fetch some irons." Another glance at the pirate's wrist revealed a tattoo of an hourglass with the letters "HJ'' on it. The smirk on the Commodore's face widened. "Well, well, well. Hongjoong Kim, isn't it?"

"Captain Hongjoong Kim, if you please, sir." Hongjoong corrected.

Wooyoung almost laughed at that. "Well, I don't see your ship, Captain." 

"I'm in the market as it were." He replied.

Chanyeol suddenly butted in, pleased to be able to assist the Commodore. "He said he'd come to commandeer one." 

Baekhyun elbowed his companion in the ribs. "Told ya he was telling the truth." Turning back to Wooyoung, he passed over Hongjoong's belongings. "These are his, sir." 

Wooyoung took them and began to look them over. He checked the pistol first. "No additional shots nor powder, a compass that doesn't point north." He unsheathed Hongjoong's sword and sighed as if disappointed. "And I half expected it to be made of wood." The Commodore shook his head. "You are without doubt the worst pirate I've ever heard of." 

"But you have heard of me." Hongjoong countered as Changbin returned with the irons. 

Mingi chased after the group as they began to lead the pirate away, not caring that his undershirt and part of his chest were exposed for all to see. "Commodore, I really must protest."

"Carefully, Lieutenant." Wooyoung cautioned Changbin as Mingi stepped near Hongjoong.

"Pirate or not, this man saved my life."

Wooyoung might've rolled his eyes had he not been in public, so he settled for fixing the younger with an unimpressed look. "One good deed is not enough to redeem a man of a lifetime of wickedness." 

"Though it seems enough to condemn him." Hongjoong piped up. 

"Indeed." Wooyoung muttered. 

Finished fastening the irons around the pirate's wrists, Changbin stepped back a bit to await the Commodore's next order.

"Finally." Hongjoong muttered. Quick as a flash he threw the chain of his shackles around Mingi's neck. He noted with glee that he only had to tiptoe a little to be level with the brunette's height.

"No, don't shoot!" Governor Song screamed, eyes full of terror as he feared for his son's life.

"I kne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter