One | The Ceremony

Waves of Illusion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mingi sat up in bed, his white nightshirt and pants bright against the dim light of his room. He was puzzled, wondering why he had suddenly dreamed of the day he met Yunho. 

He stood and walked over to his desk, where he pulled out a drawer and triggered a false bottom to open. Laying in the hidden compartment was the gold pirate's medallion he had taken off Yunho all those years ago. He picked up, examining it in the candlelight.

A knock on the door startled him, and he heard his father's voice on the other side. Thinking fast, Mingi draped the chain over his head and slipped the medallion down inside his nightshirt. 

"Mingi? Are you alright?" His father called out as Mingi tripped over something in his room. "Are you decent?" 

Mingi made sure the chain was well hidden beneath his collar before responding. "Yes, yes!"

Governor Song barged in at that, two male servants standing behind him holding a large box while a third began to pull back the heavy curtains over the window and let the morning light in. 

"Still abed at this hour?" He teased his son with a smile. "It's a beautiful day." He turned and lifted the lid from the box. "I have a gift for you." Inside the box was a brand new suit in a stunning combination of cream and gold that would no doubt compliment his dark brown hair. Mingi felt his eyes widen.

"Oh, it's wonderful!" He exclaimed. 

"Isn't it?" Governor Song answered, still smiling widely. 

"May I inquire as to the occasion?" Mingi looked at his father, a twinge of suspicion stirring in his gut. 

"Does a father need an occasion to dote upon his son?" The governor replied simply. 

Mingi smiled brightly and his father motioned for the servants to take his son behind the dressing screen and  begin helping him into the outfit. 

As Mingi was getting dressed, his father spoke again. "Actually, I, um...I had hoped you might wear it for the ceremony today."

"The ceremony?" Mingi asked, confused.

"Captain Jung's promotion ceremony." Governor Song replied. "Or Commodore Jung, as he's about to become." 

"I knew it!" Mingi hissed quietly, sending his father a glare that went unnoticed through the screen.

The servants began fitting an undervest of sorts onto Mingi, pulling at the laces on the back to try and bring his wait in some so the outer vest and waistcoat would fit.

Governor Song continued speaking. "He's a fine gentleman, don't you think? He fancies you, you know." 

Mingi let out a small grunt as the servants continued to cinch his waist. 

"Mingi?" His father heard the grunt and walked forward a step, concerned. "How's it coming?"

"It's... difficult to say." Mingi replied, bracing himself against the wall. 

"I'm told it's the latest fashion in London."

"Well, men in London must've learned not to breathe." Mingi quipped breathlessly. He suddenly felt sympathy for all the women who had to wear corsets like this every day. 

A servant entered the room then, pulling Governor Song's attention away from his son. "Milord, you have a visitor."

 

Yunho Jeong stood near the entrance to the governor's home, a long and slim black box resting on the table beside him. As he looked around the room, waiting for Governor Song to appear, Yunho spotted a beautiful sconce and walked closer. He ran his fingers over the fixture, admiring the intricate metalwork. 

Almost as soon as he touched it the sconce broke, detaching from the wall and landing in Yunho's hands. Yunho panicked, eyes darting wildly about the room to see if he could find somewhere to hide the sconce. Looking down he found a tall bin that held some umbrellas and the Governor's canes. He quickly dropped the sconce into the bin and backed up so that he was standing in his previous position by the table. 

Finally Governor Song could be seen on the stairs, a servant right behind him. "Ah, Mr. Jeong, good to see you again." 

Yunho bowed respectfully. "Good day sir. I have your order." He turned and opened the box, pulling out a beautiful hand-crafted sword. Governor Song took the sword and unsheathed it, running a practiced eye across the blade. "Well." Is all he said. 

A rush of excitement filled Yunho as he began to point out some details of the sword. "The blade is folded steel. That's gold filigree laid into the handle. If I may," he took it back from the governor and balanced it in his hands. "Perfectly balanced. The tang is nearly the full width of the blade." Yunho expertly flipped the sword around, gracefully offering the handle to Governor Song. 

"Impressive, very impressive." Governor Song allowed, taking the sword back. He sheathed it and placed it back in the box. "Ah, now, Commodore Jung is going to be very pleased with this. Do pass my compliments on to your Master, hmm?" 

Yunho bit back a weary sigh, instead widening the smile on his face. "I shall. A craftsman is always pleased to hear his work is appreciated." 

Just then Mingi descended the stairs in his new suit, a smile spreading across his face as soon as he spotted Yunho. 

"Yunho! It's so good to see you. I had a dream about you last night."

"About me?" Y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter