Chapter 4 - Flashback 1

Stuck with you (in supernatural attraction)

A thousand years ago, in the Land of Rising Sun...

 

A pair of feet rushed through the glass floor of a hallway, her steps silent and calculated. She was in the middle of meditating when she was summoned in the meeting hall. She knew of a daimyo coming for an undisclosed audience with the head priestess, but why they needed her was not informed.

Alas, her feet now had halted in front of the tall door of the hall, intimidated and flustered.

She was feeling uneasy, as if a huge wave was about to swallow her whole. She had heard rumors of the daimyo who ruled the southern land, Lord Akusa, and if her assumptions were true, he was up to no good. Hence, she braced herself and gave a few knocks to announce her presence.

“Come in.”

She gulped from the head priestess' strangely grim voice, striding her way inside. Head ducking down in respect, she paced forward towards the red carpet in the middle, hands palmed together.

Murmured voices became silent, followed by a scoff.

“Why is she here? Didn’t I give you the order to keep her away?”

She winced, but remained calm.

“My lord, must I remind you again?” She heard the high priestess address the man in traditional wafuku , his purple garment coming in line with her view. “This is a sacred place. We do not condone such an act, what more of your questionable request to the monastery.”

A contemptuous hum greeted her ears, the gruff voice closer than she could have imagined.

“I can’t describe how disappointed I am to hear this.”

“As the high priestess, it is truly regrettable that we can’t aid you with your quest, Lord Akusa. Nevertheless, our prayers will always be with you.”

“Very well. But this won’t be the last time you’re hearing from us… Sharon .”

The high priestess merely dipped her head down in respect, the others following suit. It wasn't common for a lord to pay a visit to the monastery, let alone asking for a favour. It was a given that the high priestess is a firm believer of the orders of their sacred rites.

Who knows what chaos will ensue if they relent to the lord's demands, knowing how much of a vile person he is.

The audience waited as Lord Akusa and his company left the room before their heads raised simultaneously towards the high priestess, her expression grim.

“Sana.”

Hearing her name, she quickly stepped forward and bowed before the woman clad in white chiffon dress decorated with intricate patterns of golden embroidery. A hand raised, followed by shuffles of feet vacating the room.

“Milady.”

The high priestess approached her with graceful steps despite the visible frown on her face. 

“I know it’s difficult, but it was a chance I couldn't forgo… forgive me for causing your discomfort.” Indeed, Sana knew they had no choice. Refuse the order of a daimyo, and your head will be served on a plate the next day… even if you are related by blood. “But that’s not really the reason I called you here.”

The priestess held out a fist, Sana’s forehead creasing together in confusion.

“This is a selfish request of mine, but your unique prowess is needed to save a life.” She took Sana’s open palm, placing a roll of parchment paper before closing the latter’s hand. “A messenger is already waiting for you at the secret entrance - she will take you to a small hut deep in the forest. Stay with them for as long as your aid is desired.”

It wasn't a simple request; she knew the gravity of it just by observing Lady Sharon's body language. The woman was an epitome of poise and elegance, to see her behaving out of the ordinary was unprecedented. 

But Sana was not in a position to object nor question the high priestess' order, being a direct apprentice of the lady. Hence, she gave a nod. “I understand, milady.”

“Remember, word must not come out of this.”

Sana peered into the woman's calm but desperate brown orbs, her hand firmly gripped with a sense of urgency. “I will not let you down, milady. I shall take my leave now.”

She her heels, covering her head with the white cape of silk cloth donned by priestesses as she stepped out to the hallway and headed straight to the secret entrance, unaware of the silent prayer muttered by Lady Sharon of her departure.

“Please, let her be saved…”

 

 

 

//

 

 

 

The sound of hooves clopping against muddy ground of wet grass and puddles echoed faintly across the dark forest, but it was a different case for the girl writhing in pain on the bed. Her eardrums were thrumming with the horse's gallop, the sound seemed impossibly close to her ears. Her forehead creased together as the sound got louder, before dying down with a gentle snort. 

Her eyebrow twitched as three consecutive knocks sounded from the entrance, the front door creaking open in fast motion. 

“Dr Jo! You made it!” 

“Where is she?” 

She could hear sets of footsteps approaching, one was calm and the other frantic, before a presence kneeled beside her. 

"How long has it been?" 

"We're not sure – Hyun found her unconscious by the river when the sun had set."

A hand was placed on her sweating forehead, and she struggled to open her eyes at the intruding touch. She could barely make out a silhouette of a woman with brunette hair, her wide round eyes gleaming with worry.

"Doc…?" She croaked, a warm hand grasping her own with an assuring grip.

"I'm here now, kid . You're going to be alright."

A suppressed chortle escaped her lips from the way she was addressed, only to hack out painful coughs, felt coarse like sand. A disapproved sigh came as a response as she was pushed back to lay down, having no strength to fight it. She let Dr Jo fiddle with her body, trusting the woman's judgement as a healer to check her alarming condition. 

However, when intruding fingers palpated her wounded shoulder, a sharp hiss escaped her lips.

"Don't…!"

She swatted the prying hand away. But the healer continued to prod with her injury, causing her to squirm violently.

"Her pulse is feeble - she's losing a lot of blood. I must extract the bullet, but I need an assistant."

"Uhh, Hyun is probably on her way back with your package so if you could wait–"

"We can't wait, Son! We have to do this, whether you like it or not!"

"Y–You mean… me?!"

"Are you expecting my horse to hand me the scalpel instead? Of course it's you! Now come here and help me strap her hands!"

A hand pinched her jaw to slacken as a rolled towel was tucked against her teeth. She tried to struggle when she felt her wrist being subdued by ropes, but she was already losing strength, her body felt weirdly light. It almost felt like she was floating in space, despite the feverish chills running through her bones from every flitting touch.

"Ready?"

"No I'm definitely NOT ready! Can I close my eyes before we start because I'm scared of blood and you're giving off a scary vibe and I don't think this would – EEEP GOD FORGIVE ME!"

She wanted to slap the jabbering mouth shut, but let out a loud groan instead when she felt her wound being pierced with a sharp contraption.

“Hold her down!”

Her body started thrashing around, fingers clawing the already torn sheets as muffled screams reverberated inside the small hut. She felt her heart pounding loud against rib cage, her inner demon begging to be released. Teeth elongated into fangs, vision painted red as her senses heightened immensely. 

It wrecked her inside, burning every crevice in her body with intense, tormenting ache.

“There - I got the bullet! Pass me the bottles, hurry!”

There was a popping sound of cork, and her ears instantly perked up. Nostrils flared up as she took in the delicious scent of copper before spitting out the rolled towel from . She almost snapped her fangs on Dr Jo's hand, if it wasn't for Son's quick reflex to clutch the collar of her tunic.

"Easy, kiddo… You need to get a hold of yourself first."

"Christ, Doc! You think she will listen to you in this state?!"

"She will… I trust her."

As if under a trance, she slowly calmed down, her body stopped struggling against the rope bounding her hands. Her erratic breathing had reduced to heavy panting, occasional growls escaping . She slowly gained her senses, despite the intense longing for blood.

"Good, that's it. Now open your mouth."

As soon as her lips touched the opening of the glass bottle, she immediately gulped down the content in one mouthful, not wasting even a drop of the succulent, thick red liquid.

"More…" She growled and Dr Jo was quick to give her another one.

After the third bottle, she slowly regained her senses as pale skin returned its colors, red vision diminished to normal. Her elongated fangs had receded back inside as her demon was consoled back to its rightful place.

Her eyes roamed the floor for more, only to have Dr Jo shaking her head.

"I only managed to retrieve three bottles - that was the last one."

She her lips dry; she craved more, but it will suffice for now. "It's more than enough. Thank you."

The healer responded with a nod as she cleaned up the empty bottles lying on the floor when Son's timid voice caught her by surprise.

“Umm, excuse me… this might sound dumb, but why is that bullet glowing?”

She snapped her head to the metal tray on the bed, finding a glowing bullet encased in fine silver with golden engravings. She wanted to curse at the damn thing that caused her current pitiful state, but her head was still spinning, causing an annoyed groan to escape .

"You should rest. Considering the amount of blood you lost, it’s going to be a while before you can fully recover.”

Exactly as being told, a dull throbbing ache began to appear on her injured shoulder. Normally, her wound would have been healed by now, having supernatural ability to heal herself. But she was dealing with silver bullets, her kryptonite . It would be a miracle to survive the night if it wasn't for the healer's quick thinking.

“Wait! S-She’s not going to, uhh, attack us right?”

“Why?” She heard Dr Jo asked back, her voice indifferent. 

“Because she’s… umm, need more b-blood right now?”

“Don’t worry. Your blood is not to her taste.”

“Oh." Son bobbed her head in understanding, only to have her eyes widen within seconds. "H-Hold on, what’s that supposed to mean? S-Should I be relieved or offended??”

A side of her lips weakly curled up as Dr Jo ignored the ramblings of her temporary assistant, the healer putting her focus on tending the charred wound. It was a flitting moment, but she could see the glint of anxiousness flashing in Dr Jo’s round eyes.

"What's wrong?"

There was hesitation shown as Dr Jo made herself preoccupied with fixing the last piece of gauze on her wound. But her pale hand interrupted the latter's action, causing Dr Jo to deeply sighed.

"Your irises are losing color… that’s not a good sign.”

She took in the information with a long inhale, shoulders sagging into the makeshift pillow made of hay and hessian sack. She turned to the metal tray by the bed, her distorted face reflected on the surface showed the crimson orbs now shaded silvery grey.

She closed her eyes with a long exhale, "How much longer?"

"I can't say – it might be a few hours or days, depending on your body's healing pace." Dr Jo shoved the last piece of equipment into a sling bag, her eyebrows furrowed together. "You need to drink proper blood-"

"No." She quickly interjected, "I am not going to resort to that."

"But this is for your own survival! No matter how much animal blood you consume, it won't have the same essence as a human!"

"I know… but I can't." She clenched her fists tight, knuckles turning white. "You understand as much as I do the reason why, Doc.”

"Yeah, you're right… I understand how much of a hard-headed person you are." Dr Jo heaved out a forceful sigh, hands crossed over her chest. "Thankfully I possessed a brilliant plan to counter that.”

“Care to enlighten me?”

“I’ve made arrangements and Hyun is bringing her here… I think she could help you."

Her eyebrows furrowed together, "Who - ARGHH!"

“W-What’s wrong?!”

She couldn't answer, her teeth gritted hard from the sharp pang. The pain was excruciating, she felt like her bones were twisted forcefully, wringed together like a drying cloth. It was burning, seething , as if a river of lava was flowing in her protruding veins instead of blood.

She wanted to punch someone, flip the table, bite a branch, anything to make the pain go away. It was a given she was still subdued on the bed; god knows what chaos will ensue if she wasn't.

“Urghh! L-Leave… now!”

“No, we won’t!” 

“I will… h-hurt you!”

“You’ve got to hold on a little longer, kid! Just until Hyun arrives!”

Just in cue, a horse galloping could be heard in the distance. Anxious pairs of eyes turned to the front door as two people darted inside, their heads covered in hooded capes.

"Hyun-unnie, you actually made it!" 

“Who, me? You’re talking to the best ranger in town, Son! That trip was just a walk in the park.”

“But you’re riding a horse though, unnie…” 

“Glad to see you’re still intact with that big mouth, Hyun. But we’re in the middle of a crisis here! Lend a hand, would you?”  

“Oh, that’s right! After you, my fair lady.”

Suddenly, every voice was tuned out, except for the faint footsteps getting closer to her bed. Her eyes were quivering with dilated pupils, eyesight now blurred with specks of red and silver, but she could make out a figure covered in white cloak, surrounded by a mystical ambience. A hand hovered over her injury as the person mumbled some spells. 

“Silver bullet...” 

She heard the cloaked figure mutter under one breath while uncovering the white hood. A gasp almost escaped from the sight of gleaming silver locks cascading down the shoulders. But her daze was cut short when she felt fingers poking spots over her chest, causing a shrilling scream to rumble inside the hut.

"Hey."

She was heaving badly, eyes squeezed shut from the unbearable ache. But when she heard the faint voice, her eyes shot open, only to be taken aback by the captivating caramel orbs greeting her.

“What’s your name?”

The voice was gentle, almost velvety , the pain was forgotten for a moment. Gulping audibly, she answered back despite sounding hoarse and strangled.

“Tzu… yu.”

"Tzuyu, my name is Sana. I hope you will put your trust in me," She flashed a smile, hands hovering dangerously close to her injured shoulder. "Because this is going to hurt."

Instantly, a blinding light obstructed Tzuyu's view, her scorching throat let out a painful cry before everything out.

 

 

 

//

 

 

 

The light enveloping Sana’s hands slowly diminished as she let out a soft exhale. 

She peeked to the bedside window decorated with dust and dirt, the sun already peeking out for a new day. She had lost count of the hours, not having a wink of sleep at all for the night. She placed her palm on Tzuyu’s forehead; the temperature had significantly reduced.  

The healing spell she used wasn’t a common one; a mere apprentice wouldn’t be able to perform it without having consequences. She might have been personally taught by the preceding high priestess how to handle the spell’s aftermath, but it still took a toll on her body; her hands quivering out of control as a result of her energy being drained.

Alas, It wasn’t just her who was spent. Everyone had gone through a horrifying night trying to subdue the woman before her. 

Sana still couldn’t shake off the images she saw, of blazing crimson irises with silverish tint glaring at her with an intensity that could quake her soul. The girl was violently shaking against the wooden bed with ear-splitting shrills, with visible veins bulging out under her pale skin, almost blackened as if black blood was pulsing underneath. It was a given they were deep in the forest, or else, they would have attracted unwanted attention. 

However, what really surprised her the most was the conversation she had with that strange voice. 

 

Sana could feel her energy seeping, absorbed by the girl confined to the bed. It was strange, how effortless it was to channel her healing power despite the body being poisoned by enchanted silver. The forbidden spell should have hampered her energy, but something else prevented it.

As if there’s another greater force at work, aiding Sana with the healing.

You’re losing focus.

An unfamiliar voice invaded her mind, taking Sana by surprise.

“Who… who are you?”

That question should be mine.

"I'm… trying to save her. She's an acquaintance of my master."

Then fret not, we share the same purpose.

"Is she going to be alright?"

She will, but you need to focus.

"I don't know-"

Hush! I'm lending you my power so don't waste it.

Suddenly, Sana could feel a surge of energy coursing through her being. The fatigue she felt was gone as the poison slowly flushed out from the girl's body. The priestess began to ease up when she confirmed Tzuyu's condition to be stable. 

We are truly indebted to you… deity of moonlight. 

Sana was taken aback by the unfamiliar term but as she tried reaching out to the voice again, it was to no avail.

 

Just recalling the moments alone sent chills through her bones.

Sana had never heard of any deity of moonlight as far as she remembered. But that voice was more mysterious than anything she had encountered in life. 

However, another more dire matter was bugging her. 

The priestess knew the woman lying before her was not a mere human. A kind that is hunted alive, sworn by the Emperor to be eradicated from the land he reigned. It wasn't news that a few still lingered around, but for the monastery to personally send her to aid one was truly dubious.

"You're still awake?"

Sana whipped her head to the door, the healer known as Dr Jo was holding two steaming mugs. 

"I'm making sure her temperature won't spike anymore."

She took the offered mug with a thankful smile, her nose catching the soothing scents of herbs wafting from the drink. 

"How is she?"

Sana shot a glance to the side table, looking at the silver bullet encased in a glass bottle. The glow had significantly diminished after she chanted a counter-spell for protection. 

"The bullet was cursed with a forbidden spell – specifically used to weaken a vampire's healing power. It caused the silver particles to penetrate through the blood vessels instantaneously, making them bind with the blood cells before they progressively ruptured."

"Hence, the silverish eyes."

"Yes, one of the signs of silver-poisoning." Sana nodded grimly, her lips forming a straight line. "Frankly speaking, she wouldn't have survived this long with that injury."

The healer shrugged, "This is Tzuyu we're talking about. She has survived all kinds of threats for years now – only god knows what she went through in the past."

There was a moment of silence, only the sound of tea being sipped filled the room, before Sana's voice broke the awkward air. 

"This is the first time I've seen, handled , a vampire."

"I wouldn't say you're lucky, but you're truly fortunate it's Tzuyu."

Somehow, Sana could understand what Dr Jo was implying because growing up in the monastery, they were educated of all types of creatures of the land, vampires included. The most feared of all, known for being vicious, merciless, blood- monsters who kill humans for their insatiable thirst and pleasure. 

With Tzuyu, surprisingly , she had not sensed any of those threats. 

"How did you meet her?"

"Tzuyu? She saved us, actually." Dr Jo sat by the window sill, a faint smile on her face as she stared out in the distance. "The three of us were refugees from the kingdom of Goryeo, wanted for a falsely accused crime. If it wasn't for Tzuyu and your ladyship, we would have lost our heads by now."

"Lady Sharon?" Sana asked, puzzled.

Dr Jo nodded, taking a sip of her tea. "We stumbled across the soldiers after escaping the borders, and that’s when Tzuyu came to our aid. She brought us to the high priestess and begged in our place for a temporary shelter - seeing as our conditions were harrowing enough to escape death. As luck would have it, your high priestess was sympathetic enough to turn a blind eye, despite being at risk of being a traitor."

"I didn't know that."

"There were a lot of political motives involved – she wouldn't want any of her followers to bear the sin of her selfish deed."

"But helping people in need was never a selfish conduct!"

Dr Jo let out a scoff, "If it didn't involve a vampire, then yes, it's not. But our Tzuyu is indeed a vampire – with a bounty on her head as well."

Sana's mouth was gaping for a retort when suddenly the bed shook, alerting them both.

"N-No! Get it off – arghhh!"

Dr Jo quickly rushed to her side, holding Tzuyu against the bed as the latter tried to get up in a wild fit, her eyes almost disappearing as they rolled to the back of her head. Sana caught the split second when the pair of dull, greyish orbs had flashed crimson red; Tzuyu's body was fighting against the poison in her blood.

Seeing it as a good sign, Sana began chanting another healing spell, hoping it will at least speed up the torturous progress and give strength for Tzuyu to withstand it. She placed her fore and middle fingers on the latter's forehead, channeling faint trails of warm light from her hand.

"Don't… D-Don’t leave me…" Tzuyu weakly mumbled, her tense body slowly relaxing as thin veil of light enveloped her figure.

Sana softly exhaled as the spell did its work, but her hand was soon captured by calloused fingers, tightly grasped in a desperate plea.

"Please… Don't go…"

Her vigilance of the vampire was soon replaced with sympathy. She couldn't pull away from Tzuyu – she didn't have the heart to because somehow, she felt the need to comfort the woman. It was odd, having some sort of familiarity with a stranger, moreover a vampire. But Sana can't deny the attraction she felt when their hands touched.

It sparked a new emotion within her, a pleasant one, making her resolve melt.

"I'm here… okay?" She unconsciously whispered to Tzuyu’s ear, returning the latter's hold with a firm grip of her own. "I'm not going anywhere." 

For the remaining day, Sana didn't leave Tzuyu's side as tirelessly repeated comforting words, never once letting go of their intertwined hands.

 

 

 

//

 

 

 

Tzuyu thought she had slept through endless nightmares.

Until she heard hushed whispers in her head, overcoming the grueling screams of her demon demanding to be free. Silver shackles chained her limbs, the metal boiling against her skin and churning her inside as if she was forced to drink melted steel.

Her body’s burning, scorching…

That is, until a presence in a white gown appeared before her with a smile so warm and eyes as sweet as caramel, Tzuyu felt like she was embraced with a warm blanket on a harsh winter night. 

"Do you trust me, Tzuyu?"

The darkness surrounding her was suddenly illuminated by curtains of silver tresses, gently bouncing with every step taken. A hand touched her cheek, cold against her searing skin. It brought her comfort, making her forget the pain inflicted by the cursed silver.

"I do."

"Close your eyes, then."

As soon as her eyes fluttered shut, a distinct scent of daffodils filled her nose. She felt a gust of frosty wind, the burning shackles replaced with numbing icy dew splattering against her skin. It was chilling and cool, like the crisp morning air of winter. Her demon calmed, her senses relaxed, her whole being was light as a feather...

Then her eyes snapped open, the sight of a wooden ceiling covered in cobwebs welcomed her.

Tzuyu gasped in surprise; her body was really floating. She took a few deep breaths to calm herself and steadily she gravitated down back on the wooden bed. It was the first time she felt glad to be so close to the ground because it had been a few decades since she remembered how to fly; the feeling was exhilarating.

"Hell - don’t tell me you can spit fire as well?"

“Last time I checked, I’m still a vampire, Hyun… not a dragon.”

She calmly responded to the voice, finding Hyun watching her in amazement while Son was just standing there like a statue, eyes wide and mouth agape. Dr Jo pushed the two away from blocking the entrance, only to have one of them stuck to the ground, frozen.

The healer raised an eyebrow at the petrified Son, “What’s wrong with her?”

“She was knocked for six by Tzuyu’s floating body.”

Tzuyu smiled as the healer let out an amused snort. She tried to twist her body sideways, only to realize her hand was restrained with someone else's. Her eyes trailed up the clasped hand covered in white chiffon sleeve, followed by tresses of grey hair tied in half braid. 

It was her…

“Let her sleep.” 

Dr Jo said when Tzuyu tried to pull away, flashing a warning look as she walked to the bedside table. That was when Tzuyu noticed the steady rhythmic rise and fall of the shoulder, face buried inside her free arm as a substitute for a pillow. 

“You must be parched.”

Dr Jo’s hushed voice managed to break Tzuyu’s attention away from the sleeping woman as a steel mug appeared before her eyes. She was undeniably parched, but not of the plain water being offered; she took it anyway.

“Thank you.” Tzuyu took a small sip, at least the water managed to moisten her cracked lips. 

"How long was I out?"

"Three days."

Her eyes strayed to her wrist, faint circles of reddish marks visible. "You tied me up?"

"Had to… you were writhing around like crazy, we were almost hauled across the room a couple times." 

Tzuyu shot Dr Jo an apologetic look before her eyes began to stray back to the woman still sleeping by the bed, the tight grasp not showing any sign of her hand about to be released.

"She was the only one who dared to stay near you. Figured… you kind of actually begged for her to stay though." A light chortle escaped the healer's mouth, "Sana hasn't left your side since."

"Is that her name…? Sana?"

"Yes, sent by Lady Sharon on her behalf. Even as an apprentice, I must admit Sana is indeed a skilled healer… if it wasn't for her, you wouldn't have lived to see today."

It must have been terrible for them because Tzuyu knew how much of a carnage she would be when hurt; her demon would forcefully take over her sanity for the sake of staying alive. 

"Thank you." It came out in a whisper.

"It's good to see you're up, kid. But I need to catch some sleep of my own as well so excuse me…" The healer yawned as she retreated to the living room, leaving Tzuyu alone with the sleeping woman.

Tzuyu didn't know why but her eyes can't seem to stop watching the figure sitting on the chair, her upper body resting on the empty space of the bed. She must have skipped days of sleep to tend to Tzuyu's needs and that position looked ridiculously uncomfortable for a good rest.

She detached Sana's fingers one by one, cautiously to not wake the woman. Thankfully the priestess doesn't have an iron grip, or Tzuyu's hand would have suffered cramps by now.

With practiced ease, Tzuyu lifted Sana and exchanged their place, putting the woman to lie down on the bed for a more comfortable sleep. She leans back with a silent huff, only to have her breath hitched from the beautiful face inches away from her own.

For the first time in her life, Tzuyu was mesmerized by a human – a woman to be precise. Sana's sleeping face was so serene, tranquil , it brought a sense of calmness to her vampire’s alter ego. Tzuyu's hand unconsciously reached out to a stray lock, pushing the silky grey strands away from obstructing the beautiful features of high pointed nose and glistening pink lips.

Oh, she began to wonder how Sana's eyes would look like when she's awake, unaware that her fingers had accidentally brushed against the woman's cheek.

Sana began to stir, and Tzuyu was quick to retract her hand, only to hear a pleasant sigh; it managed to bring a smile on Tzuyu's face. She felt like doing something nice for Sana, as a gesture of gratitude for saving her life. 

Just the thought of seeing the woman's smile kindled a warm sensation in her chest.

"Some pastries would be nice."

Planning to get breakfast, Tzuyu slipped into her pair of hunting boots before picking up her plaid navy green poncho lying forgotten on the floor. She made a quick scan of the cabin; everyone had passed out from exhaustion. 

It wouldn't suffice, but alleviating their empty stomachs would be the most she could do for them.

Trying to be as subtle as possible, Tzuyu climbed the bedside window and leaped out into the woods, her figure vanishing in a blink of an eye. She reached a small village within minutes, making a beeline to her favourite bread stall at the end of the street. 

She caught a whiff of butter and sweet yeasty aroma that somehow smelled warm, the only scent that intrigued her interest in human food. She bought a few of the freshly-produced baked goods that could feed the four hungry mouths at the cabin, quickly rushing back with a satisfied smile.

Everyone was still sleeping when she arrived; Son became the human pillow for Hyun who had her limbs splayed out "graciously" on the floor while Dr Jo was snoring by the rattan chair, head bent backwards in a strange but weirdly cozy position. 

Well, as long as they could catch an eye shut.

Tzuyu placed the bag of pastries and muffins on the table before treading to the only room inside the cabin. She had expected Sana to still be sleeping, only to be taken aback at the sight that welcomed her.

The priestess was in the midst of stretching her hands up, face painted gold from the rays of sun peeking through the window, accentuating the grey locks with a healthy shine of sparkling silver… and those pair of gleaming caramel eyes. 

It made Sana look enthralled, ethereal , as if she was a goddess descended from heaven.

"Tzuyu, there you are! Where did you go?"

Tzuyu almost gasped from the heavenly rasp voice; also by the casual way her name escaped the velvety lips.

"I went out." She simply answered, still unacquainted with the woman who only conversed with Tzuyu in her dreams - or was it her imagination, Tzuyu can’t tell - only to have Sana’s lips arched in a frown. 

"You should be resting." 

"I'm feeling better now." 

What she hoped would assure the woman seemed to be the opposite as Sana stride closer into her personal space, poking a finger on Tzuyu's bandaged shoulder.

"Ow!" She hissed, quickly pulling away from the priestess.

"See? You're still in pain."

"I won't if you didn't touch it." 

Sana let out a disapproved hum, hands hoisted against her waist. Her posture would have made the scaredy cat Son intimidated, but Tzuyu felt her smile growing instead; the sight was too adorable for her weak heart (she’s still recuperating, after all).

"As a healer, you should know that lying in bed wouldn’t make things better. Getting up and about is what my body needs to recover faster."

Tzuyu watched attentively as Sana chewed her lips in contemplation, the sight made her look like a small furry animal Hyun had captured once for stealing their emergency stock of nuts and dried berries. Cute, she thought.

"Oh, fine!” Sana finally relented, “But it will be a while before your body can heal properly so don't push yourself too hard."

"You do know I'm a vampire, right?"

"Even vampires have their moments of vulnerability. If I didn't witness you lying on your deathbed, I wouldn't have been this worried."

Sana was genuinely concerned, Tzuyu could see it from the furrowed eyebrows and disapproving glare. She should have felt an ounce of guilt for making the priestess worried, however she felt elated instead. It was strange, as if she was not being herself at that moment, and Tzuyu blamed the silver bullet for messing with her brain.

Rather than apologizing, Tzuyu held out a brown bag, prompting Sana to take it with a questioning look.

"What's this?"

"Breakfast." Tzuyu muttered as her gaze strayed to the floor. "As thanks, you know…?"

Reddish hue colored the priestess cheeks, unaware that the same was happening to Tzuyu as well as she watched the apprentice timidly accept the bag.

"Thank you."

It was only a few common words Tzuyu was used to, but hearing it from Sana made a whole new sensation creep in her chest. It warmed her, spreading heat from her heart in a pleasurable way she couldn't explain. 

What… is this?

Before she could dwell in her own thoughts, Tzuyu heard a flutter of wings from the distance. She turned to the window, and just as she expected, an eagle landed on the windowsill. She noticed a rolled paper strapped to its hind leg. Sana seemed to recognize the bird as she pat its head in a fond way before taking the paper, only for her lips to drop into a frown.

"I need to go back."

"What’s wrong?"

Sana let out a silent sigh as she made a motion with her hand, the eagle understanding the signal as it flapped its wings and flew off the window.

"I have been away a lot longer than intended. Since my duty here is done, I must return to the monastery."

There was contemplation on Sana’s face; Tzuyu could discern the way she avoided making eye contact and picking the edge of the small note. Something else was bugging the priestess but she was in no position to question it.

"I will accompany you." She said on a whim, earning a disapproved look from the priestess.

"No you can’t - I won't allow it. The soldiers are diligently patrolling every road, it would be dangerous for you."

"And how is that going to make it safer for you? A priestess has no business being out in the forest in plain daylight and that’s a good enough reason for the soldiers to put you under suspicion.” 

Tzuyu watched Sana eagerly as the latter chewed on her lower lip, probably weighing her decision. 

“Won’t you be at risk as well?”

“I know my way with the forest. We'll take a shorter route – the faster you arrive, the better." 

A beat, followed by a defeated sigh. "I guess I have no choice." Sana turned to the others still snoring away in the other room, "Aren't we going to wake them up?"

"No, let them be - they're safe here. Besides, more companies will only attract attention."

Not sparing anymore time for Sana to change her mind, Tzuyu quickly led them outside across the thick, towering trees, her ears perked up for any movement surrounding them.

"You really do know your way with the forest."

"The darkness and fear of the unknown would fend off unwanted companies… it’s a perfect place to lay low when you’re on the run."

"By unwanted companies, you mean… the soldiers?"

"And others who loathe my kind."

"You don't seem to act like the vampires they told us from the sermons."

"I suppose you haven't met the rest of my kin."

Tzuyu shot a glance at the priestess, the latter’s frustration and confusion obvious from the creased forehead and lips jutting out like the beak of a duck. The action would be ugly in her eyes each time Hyun did it out of spite, but with Sana, she finds it… adorable.

However, their conversation was cut short when Tzuyu hears distant clinking of metals. She signaled for Sana to stop, but it was a tad late when the latter had stepped on a twig, successfully catching the attention of soldiers scouting nearby.

“S-Sorry…MMPH!” Tzuyu quickly clamped Sana’s mouth with her palm, a finger pressed on her lips as warning.

“Did you hear that?”

“Who’s there? Show yourself!”

Just from their breathing and the clatters of their steel armors, Tzuyu can discern their locations. The soldiers were closer than she thought; she would be risking Sana’s life if they kept on hiding in the shadows. Planning to ambush the patrols, she guided Sana to hide behind a tree.

“Stay here.”

“But–“

“Stay.”

The soldiers would be a piece of cake to handle, but Tzuyu was not in her best state. There’s a slight throbbing on her injured shoulder which hinders her movement, not to mention she can’t risk exposing Sana’s presence to these heartless people. They never cared about innocent lives; as long as they were spared by the vile lord.

Seeing as the soldiers were still on high alert of their surroundings, Tzuyu took the chance to create a distraction by throwing a few pebbles across. As their attention turned towards the noise, she instantly grabbed one of the soldiers by his nape and smacked his face on a tree, knocking him unconscious.

"You–!"

Tzuyu barely evaded the blade about to slash her face, sending an upper kick to the other soldier who easily deflected her attack. This man is more sturdy and aggressive; she could make out from his stance alone. But Tzuyu is nimble with her feet which gives her more advantage in facing the burly soldier.

He mindlessly swung his huge sword towards Tzuyu who avoided each slash with precise steps. Seeing his movement had slowed down, Tzuyu took the chance to kick the sword off his hands and landed an uppercut on his jaw. As he stumbled backwards, Tzuyu immediately sent a flying kick in his face, only for the soldier to grab her leg midair and hurl her across the trees.

Tzuyu quickly got on her feet but soon gritted her teeth as her injury throbbed from the impact. She really wanted to puncture his jugular vein with her fangs – the desire to heal and end him for good was immense – but Tzuyu wouldn't stoop that low.

Even as a pure blood , she has her own pride.

"You don't seem as strong as they said, huh?" The soldier jeered, cracking his neck and knuckles to intimidate her. “Looks like I’ll be getting that bounty on your head all to myself! Hahaha!”

However, she was unfazed even in the slightest, dashing towards the soldier with a remarkable speed that couldn't be seen by a human’s eyes. 

"OOF–!" 

She kneed him hard in the gut before jumping over his shoulders, trapping him in a chokehold with her legs. He struggled to break free, writhing left and right to get Tzuyu off his shoulders, but the movement only added more pressure on his windpipe. The colors were already drained from the soldier’s skin when Tzuyu noticed movement from behind. 

A blade almost struck her on the back, if it wasn’t for Sana’s quick action. Another soldier attempted to sneak attack, but his head was smacked instead with a thick branch, followed by a kick to his crotch and another wack on his head.

Both soldiers slumped down on the ground, knocked out. Tzuyu turned to Sana holding a tree branch, shock evident on her face. 

“You just kicked his arse!”

“Well, technically , it was the opposite part of his bottom but yes… I guess I just did.” Sana heaved out with a shaky laugh, “That actually felt good!”

“Remind me not to get on your bad side.”

Before they could celebrate their win, Tzuyu heard more rushed footsteps approaching them from the outskirts of the forest. The others must have realized their missing comrades. That’s bad, they might have surrounded the forest by now.

“Sana.”

“Yes?”

“Are you afraid of heights?”

“Eh?” She blinked by the unexpected question, “I don’t know, I think I’m fine with it but - wait, Tzuyu what are you-”

The words were swallowed back as her body was suddenly propelled upwards, her eyes squeezed shut from the nauseating motion. Sana felt like her soul had left her body from the abrupt lift, but her nerves slowly dissipated as the wind gently slapped against her cheeks, her eyes soon peeled open to find herself a few feet above the ground

“E-Eh? Are we flying? Wait, you can fly?!”

A chuckle came as a response, “I can’t fly, I’m merely controlling my body mass to be able to levitate and glide with the wind.”

“Eh…?”

“Imagine a feather floating with the breeze… similar like that.”

“You can actually do that?!”

“It’s an ability gifted to us, although I just remembered the technique recently.” Tzuyu glanced at the girl humming in fascination, her large eyes straying to the ground a hundred feet away. “You’re not scared, are you?”

Sana was visibly taken aback by the question. 

As a normal person, there should at least be an ounce of fear, anxiety or doubt from experiencing these abnormal encounters. Meeting with a vampire meant your life was already doomed. However, Tzuyu didn’t sense any of these negative emotions from the priestess. 

“I’m not.” Sana breathed out, “It feels… liberating.”

“Is it because you’re a priestess? Heard you were not allowed outside until your coming of age.”

“I’ve always been in the monastery as far as I can remember. Because of my unusual silver hair, I was labelled as a cursed child. Even as a newborn, I was treated as an outcast, waiting to be sacrificed as the bearer of bad luck in the family. But I was saved when words reached the monastery of a “silver-haired child”... That’s when the preceding high priestess took me under her care, to be her direct apprentice.” 

Sana’s lips quirked up at that, “Yes, there are rules and restrictions you must obey being a priestess, but I never regret the decision. It gave me a new home, a place I feel belonged to… I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Tzuyu kept mum as Sana continued to smile, the latter unaware that her glistening eyes had dropped a tear down her cheek, wiped away by the wind. She let Sana be as her arms tightened against the frail-looking girl, hoping the small action would suffice to console the forlorn-looking priestess.

They safely landed on an opening by the monastery after Tzuyu made sure they were away from prying eyes and guards on sentry duty. 

“Thank you for the… lift, as you’d say?” She chuckled awkwardly, causing a smile to grow on Tzuyu’s face. “Do take care of your wound.”

“I will.”

“Then, I shall take my leave... Farewell.”

As Sana made her leave, Tzuyu felt she was missing something. 

As if she’s going to lose something precious once Sana disappeared into the huge glass doors of the majestic monastery. The urge to stop the girl was gradually overpowering her self-control. She silently cursed her own demon in distress because unknowingly, she heeded its request. 

Tzuyu took a few striding steps ahead, a hand reached out to stop the priestess from leaving. 

“Yes? Do you need anything else…?”

“Will we see each other again?” 

Tzuyu felt her hands becoming clammy by the seconds as the priestess wore a questioning look. However, the deafening thump in her chest had mellowed as she was presented with a gentle smile.

“I’ve always believed in fate, Tzuyu… you should as well.” 

And Tzuyu clenched her chest after Sana left her with a flustered smile, her other hand touching the flitting warmth planted on her left cheek from those scarlet, soft lips.

 

 

 

//

 

 

 

Every weekend, the priestesses were assigned to give sermons to their designated village. And that’s where Sana was at the moment, in a small decent town called Izumi Village where the townspeople always looked forward to her arrival. 

However, it wasn’t for the weekly sermon, no. 

The priestess’ presence was anticipated the most by elderly and frail children in the village; hence why she was found in the head village’s house instead of the empty town hall where the sermon was supposed to be held.

“Please place it over there.” 

Sana instructed the young daughter of the head village who would always step up to be her assistant. The girl dreamed of being a healer in the future, and Sana was more than delighted to show her the ropes. Sana dabbed a clean cloth over the gangrenous wound of an old woman - her last patient for the day. 

“This is not looking good.” Sana muttered under her breath, which didn't go unnoticed by the girl.

“Is something wrong?"

"The lesion – it's spreading faster and deeper, I'm afraid the bone is going to be affected if we don't take preventive measures soon."

“You mean…?”

“Her leg would need to be cut off.” Sana said grimly, followed by a collective sigh of disapproval from the family members.

"W-What about the herbs you used last time? They worked great on my father when he was bitten by a snake!" The girl proposed.

"They do work miracles, and perhaps, the only option we have. But I'm running out of the ingredients and the habitat is located deep in the woods… it would be unwise and dangerous for any of you to harvest them right now."

"Did anyone mention herbs?"

Sana's head whipped to the unexpected presence by the door, the familiar red orbs welcoming her with a glint of amusement and the same warmth she was strangely used to. Before Sana could greet her, the young girl had already beaten her to it.

"Oh? It’s Miss Juwi! Are you here in place of Dr Jo?"

"That’s right, she told me to bring this to the attending priestess." Tzuyu spread out the rolled leather she brought, revealing a variety of plants and roots commonly used for medicinal practices. "I hope they'll suffice."

Sana hastily scanned through the different herbs, wordlessly picking up the main ingredients needed to make the remedial paste. Sana's movement was fast but careful, catching everyone's attention as they watched the apprentice expertly prepare the medicine. A round of gasps filled the room as Sana’s hands glowed with warm light while she tended to the wound.

“That should do it.” The priestess stated after neatly bandaging the wound, “If everything is well, we will get a positive result for the next visit.”

“Thank you so much, Miss Sana!”

The girl gave a deep bow on behalf of the old woman who merely flashed Sana a grateful smile. She was in the middle of packing up her things when she noticed a pair of eyes following each of her movements. It felt like a wrong move to glance up at the owner of those alluring eyes because suddenly, Sana felt self-conscious. 

Their eyes met, and Sana's heart began acting up. It was probably an effect of having a vampire in the same room – she merely coughed as a front.

“Here.” She passed the rolled leather case back to Tzuyu. “I didn’t peg you as a healer.”

“And I didn’t peg you as a priestess who would ditch her own sermon.”

Sana was taken aback, visibly embarrassed with reddening cheeks as Tzuyu flashed her a lopsided smile.

“Dr Jo has some matters to do in a neighboring village and I’m the only one kind enough to take over her chores.” Tzuyu shrugged her shoulders, eyes twinkling with mirth. “I believe our meeting here has to do with fate , as you would say.”

Sana raised a challenging eyebrow, "It does feel like coincidence rather than fate."

"I wouldn't blame either if having you here is the aftermath."

And that was enough to keep Sana mum as she felt heat rushing up her face, her heart missing a beat. Weird , she thought.

"Do you have some time? I want to show you something."

Sana peered for her carriage but found none. It should be here by now considering her supposedly “sermon” hour has ended. 

Perhaps, this is the work of fate as well?  

Seeing the hopeful eyes of Tzuyu, Sana relented with a nod. She tailed along the tall woman as she cut through the crowd in the bustling street. They took a turn towards a deserted alley, Sana watching curiously as Tzuyu began hunching down beside stacks of crates with pieces of dried meat in her open palm.

“Hey there, little fella.”

“Nyaa~”

The sound of a mewl welcomed Sana as she approached Tzuyu’s side, finding a small kitten lying down on a makeshift bed made out of used rugs with a cup of clean water by its side. She almost cooed when the kitten loudly purred from Tzuyu’s petting. The tall woman started shredding the meat into smaller pieces to feed the little furry, and that was when Sana realized both its hind legs were limp.

“I found her last week in this state… probably got mauled by wild dogs.”

Sana carefully touched the kitten now preoccupied with her dinner, fingers gently palpating its legs to assess its condition.

“Indeed, her legs are broken. The injury was recent, but other than the broken bones, her overall condition is good.” 

“Can you fix them?”

Sana was taken aback as Tzuyu leaned closer, her red irises twinkling against the sun with a sparkle of hope. It was just like that time when their eyes met while high up in the sky; the alluring orbs shine a blazing crimson so gentle and warm, they glittered with brilliance against the sun's bright ray. 

But Tzuyu quickly pulled away when she realized the close proximity of their faces. 

“Sorry… I just thought that since you’re a healer, perhaps you can heal its broken legs with your power.”

“Can’t you?”

“Huh?”

“I mean, your aptitude in healing is remarkable. I noticed your shoulder is fully healed by now.” Sana prodded Tzuyu’s shoulder intentionally, remembering the grave injury she treated merely a week ago. 

“It runs in the blood, as the saying goes.” Tzuyu made an exaggerated swing of her arm to further prove Sana’s point. “But that’s just it… I can’t heal others, as you would.” 

“Give me your hand.”

“Why?” 

“I’m going to perform magic.”

“Eh? No way! You’re a magician as well?”

Ignoring the teasing, Sana grabbed Tzuyu’s hand and traced the ridges on her palm. was mumbling incoherent words, at least to Tzuyu it was, before a warm light engulfed both of their hands. As if Tzuyu’s hand has a mind of its own, it hovered above the kitten’s legs, causing a soft trail of light to flow between them. 

Just as the light vanquished from Tzuyu’s hand, the kitten’s leg began to twitch a few times before standing strong. Tzuyu watched in amazement as the little furry walked on four legs and rubbed against her, not limping even the slightest.

She turned to Sana, baffled. “Was that really magic?”

Sana bit her lip as Tzuyu showed her palm with a bewildered face, which she found adorable. 

"Told you so."

"You're lying!"

Sana let out a chortle as she decided to stop teasing the poor girl. “I merely gave you a little push - everything else was your own doing.”

“So that means… I could heal as well? Just like you?”

“Yes, now you can help heal others too, Tzuyu.” Sana gave the cat a few on its head, “And she’s your first lucky patient!”

“Heh… if I can do this magic as well, that means we shared an affinity, in a way.” Tzuyu bopped the kitten’s nose, “Isn’t that right, little fella?” 

Sana turned to the girl happily smiling as she played with the cat, finding the view innocent and childlike. It was nothing like the rumours being preached regarding the vampires. Tzuyu was nothing like them from Sana’s observation… 

Perhaps, the vampires were not much different than humans are in reality.

“Aren’t you worried?”

“Hm? Of what?”

“The villagers… they might report you to the soldiers.”

“Not at all. They were the ones who took me in when the soldiers were mass killing my kin. Even knowing I am a monster, they never treated me like one.” Tzuyu gave a few last pats to the kitten before standing up tall. “I owe my life to them.”

What Sana saw that day was not a vampire, but a soul so pure and noble, it made her feel flawed as a priestess. To be called a saint when all the danger and hardships they had ever been exposed to were in the safe confines of the holy monastery… Sana felt like they were unworthy of the title when there were other beings that have gone through hell but still possessed the heart of gold.

Such as the woman before her.

"Aren't you?"

"What?"

"You're here with a dangerous monster wanted for her head… you're the one who should be worried, no?"

"Even the kitten has taken a liking to you," Sana glanced up to the woman beside her with a playful smile, "I'm trusting this little fella’s judgement."

A set of laughter filled the empty alley, and Sana was awestruck. The round eyes of crimson now crinkling shut, shoulders shaking with soft laughter escaping … Tzuyu seemed so carefree and at ease, as if the burden she carried was the least of her worries.

Maybe I'm taking a liking to you as well.

“Are you hungry?”

“Eh?”

“Come, I’ll bring you to the best bakery in town.”

Sana was pulled again to walk together with Tzuyu, this time their hands connected. It felt like a while since she’s been this close with the girl, but somehow it always felt like the first time judging from the erratic response arising from her heart. 

“Anything fancy your eyes?”

Sana's train of thoughts were disturbed by the question, unaware they had come to a stop in front of a stall. Almost instantly her senses were alerted by the smell of freshly baked goods being displayed. There were a lot of selections which she had never tried or seen her whole life, except for the loaf of bread served in the monastery’s dining room and the muffins Tzuyu bought her the other day. 

However, there's one in particular that caught her interest.

“Is that a fish?”

“Want to try it?”

The grin on Tzuyu’s face was borderline taunting and earnest, making Sana doubt her choice. But it was too late when the kind lady had already offered two pieces of the fish-looking bread. Sana accepted it with a forced smile, unsure if she even wanted to give it a taste.

“Are you sure it’s edible? Won’t it taste fishy?”

The melodious laughter appeared again, but this time it caused a frown to form on Sana’s face. Knowing she had offended the priestess, Tzuyu quickly held her laughter (despite a dimpled grin still plastered on her face) as she took a sniff of the bread.

“It smells nice.”

Sana shot her a doubtful look.

“Trust me, it’s good.”

She watched curiously as Tzuyu took a small bite of the fish’s head, the latter giving off a delightful hum. She can see steam wafting from the still piping hot bread, the smell of sweet vanilla and azuki invading her nostrils. Sana took a deep breath with closed eyes, bracing herself for the weird taste of the first bite she took… only to have her eyes snapped open in surprise.

“Delicious!” She exclaimed, “This is really good!”

“They called it taiyaki , in case you’re interested.”

“Oh, I definitely am! This is the first time I’ve ever tasted something else other than plain bread, and to know that it tasted this good… I’ve been missing a lot staying in the monastery!”

“That’s right, not everything is bad about the world.”

And the remaining time was spent with Sana enjoying the snack with endless humming of appreciation, oblivious to her companion watching the way she eats with utmost interest. It wasn’t until the last bite that she finally noticed Tzuyu had been observing her the whole time with an amused smile. 

Abashed, Sana ducked her head, hiding her face behind a veil of grey hair.

“Don’t.” Tzuyu stopped her, gently pushing away the strands blocking her view. “I like seeing your face.”

Right then, a weird flutter appeared in her stomach. It might have had something to do with the taiyaki she just ate, but then her heart got weird again as their eyes met, and Sana felt like drowning in the vast ocean of Tzuyu’s blood-colored irises. She understood by then that these responses had nothing to do with the bread. 

It was just… Tzuyu.

Thankfully she was saved by the arrival of her carriage. Her feet were already ready to leave (her heart can't stand being close with the girl anymore), but Tzuyu, once again, breached into Sana's personal space as she clutched the priestess' hand, preventing the latter from walking away.

“Sana,” She eyed the way Tzuyu’s throat bounced up and down in trepidation, her own doing the same. “Is it too hopeful to wish for another meeting with you again?”

At that time Sana wanted to say yes, because she knew she was about to step into unknown territory… and Tzuyu is a vampire, for goodness’ sake. But how can she say no to that hopeful face, because Sana is, like it or not, wishing for the same too.

“Nothing is impossible,” She answered honestly, “because I am looking forward to that day as well.”

A dimpled smile made its way on Tzuyu’s face... and maybe Sana had fallen a little for the prominent indentation on the latter’s cheek as the feature of the woman hadn’t left her mind for the rest of the day. 

 

 

 

//

 

 

 

The high priestess stepped into her room void of lights, barely illuminated by the small slit of the window curtain. She sat on the bed, unbothered to light up the candles. She tilted her head back from exhaustion, a soft sigh escaping her lips. 

Sitting on the highest chair in the monastery may seem like an easy task, but others may not know the taxing burden of being granted such a cumbersome position. She is the hope of the people; if only they would fathom that she’s losing hope herself.

Another sigh, and she shrugged these thoughts away… before a gentle snort welcomed her from the window.

“I wasn’t expecting a visitor this late at night.”

“Well, that goes to every other night… not that you’re complaining.” The voice replied with jest, “But there’s a more dire matter to talk about.”

She glanced at the silhouette lurking behind the curtains. This conversation will take a while, sensing from the gravity of the voice. 

“I presumed this is related to your vampire friend?”

A pause, and a snort.

“You know about Tzuyu.”

“Of course.” She simply shrugged, “We are acquainted in the past due to unavoidable-”

“You know what I’m talking about, Sharon.” The voice cut her off, stern. “She’s not a mere vampire, isn’t she?”

“That… is confidential.” 

She simply replied, despite knowing how it will aggravate her visitor.

“Listen, Sharon…  you needed my aid and I’m all up for it. Heck, I even smuggled blood from the donation bank on your behalf, even knowing the consequences... So either you tell me what’s the whole deal about you being so adamant to save Tzuyu’s life or this will be the last visit between us.”

There it was, just as she had expected. 

She had a knack to push this person’s buttons for her own benefit, but that didn’t mean she indulged in its pleasure. Most of the time, it was to keep the healer at bay… away from digging her nose deeper into this mess. There’s too much at stake for another innocent party to be knee-deep on the dark secrets guarded by the monastery. 

Also, she can’t risk losing a precious soul she came to adore.

“It’s going to cost your life, Dr Jo.”

“In case you forgot, my king has me on a death sentence for being a traitor, remember?”

“At least you’re free to walk these streets. Or else, it’s not going to be just the whole Goryeo… our daimyo will hunt you, as well.”

“So be it! I’m already too deep in this mess when you decided to save our lives!”

Sharon closed her eyes, the memories of that fateful day replayed vividly in her head… of the first day they met, when three bloodied frames tainted the clean sparkle of the glass floor. They were barely alive, let alone breathing as Tzuyu single-handedly hauled the three of them into the audience chamber.

But it wasn’t the refugees that worried the high priestess.

Tzuyu’s eyes were glaring red, as red as the fresh blood smeared on her tunic. Fangs peeking out from scarred lips, her breathing ragged. She was fighting herself from turning, desperate to keep her demon under control.

But only these words came from the vampire.

 

“Please, milady… have mercy on them.”

 

It wasn’t even a request to spare her, because the vampire knew she was already beyond saving. She was ready to be subdued, to be detained by the soldiers because if she was out of control, bloodbath would ensue in the monastery.

“I didn’t save you.” She muttered under her breath.

“What?”

The corner of her lips lifted, “Why aren’t you coming in? It’s cold over there.”

“Well, just in case I take back what I said earlier... You know how hard it is to resist your advances.”

Sharon let out a chortle, “I will behave tonight - you have my words.”

She waited for Dr Jo to step inside, the healer opting to stand on the corner instead of the usual space on the bed. No matter, just having her in the same room is enough to calm Sharon’s overwhelming torrents of thoughts. 

“The first time you met Tzuyu, had the thought that she is a vampire ever crossed your mind?”

“Well, not really. She didn’t behave like one…” Dr Jo shrugged, “At least, not like the kind we heard of.”

“Indeed… she was far from it.”

Sharon pulled out a drawer from the bedside table, taking out a black box of flint and steel. She effortlessly ignited the candle, the small bud of fire casted light on Dr Jo’s figure leaning on the wall with crossed arms. Clad in a leather vest over white tunic with shoulder-length raven hair tied up, the healer looked neat despite her weariness plain to see. 

Or perhaps, the latter only appeared like that in Sharon’s eyes…

Dr Jo cleared , a tint of blush apparent on her cheeks. 

“Sharon.”

A warn, with a disapproved look. Ara , guess she was caught ogling the healer. She took a deep breath, calming the insecurities slowly overwhelming her.

“There was a time when the humans were at war with the vampires. They were ruthless creatures, seeking blood for their endless satiety, killing innocent women and children just for the sake of it. It was madness, a dark age for mankind. But the late Emperor of this nation was a brilliant man. He proposed a truce with the royal family of the vampires, making them swear allegiance to the nation to protect the land from intruders and maintain peace.”

“Then, the mass killing happened.” 

The high priestess nodded, solemn. “Yes, the massacre of the royal family, the pure bloods, occurred after the late emperor’s son overtook the throne. He detested his father’s proposition of offering criminals and terminally-ill people for the vampires to feed. Sacrificing humans for the sake of another human’s lives, it was never an honourable act. His preaches reached the people, causing the revolution against vampires to ignite once again.”

“So he’s the mastermind behind the killings?” Dr Jo intervened.

“It’s not just “killing”, it was a genocide.” Sharon replied, “He ordered a nation-wide purging of the vampires, granting weapons made of enchanted silver to these so-called “heroes” under the impression of freeing their land from the disease that is blood- monsters."

Sharon scoffed in a mocking way, "But little did they know, their emperor was already suffering from his own disease. His heroic deed was just a pretense to a far more evil intent ever seen by humanity, far greater than the cruelty he led.”

“So you mean to say that he got something more dreadful up his sleeve?”

“More harrowing than you could imagine.” Her face hardened, jaws clenched tight for what she’s about to reveal to the healer. “Do you know that vampires are immortal creatures?”

“I've heard of it… but rumors are that they are vulnerable to enchanted silvers, if I’m not mistaken. That was how the soldiers triumphantly took down the pure bloods, no?”

“Correct, but not quite right.”

The healer’s brows furrowed together, “What do you mean?”

“Yes, they are weak to silver. But they weren’t taken down by the soldiers." A pause, with a long exhale, "The pure bloods... killed themselves.” 

“What…?” Dr Jo’s calm composure began to break from the sudden revelation, “But how could that be? Aren't they nobles?”

“Because they knew what the emperor wanted, the only thing belonged to the pure blood vampires.”

"So that means the massacre was just…"

"A front, yes. Their main goal is to actually capture the pure bloods, alive."

"Holy - this is really something!" Dr Jo exclaimed, hand rubbing her face in disbelief. "Let me just get this straight. The pure bloods sacrificed themselves because they knew the emperor wanted them alive. But his plan failed since they're all dead so the hunt ceased. That was it, right?"

"That would be the gist of it, except the pure bloods were not all dead." Sharon's lips lifted into a smirk from the healer's confusion, "Due to circumstances, a member was formerly exiled from the family."

"Hold it - what?"

"To make matters worse, word had reached the daimyo that the exile had been spotted on his southern land, hence why the hunting resumed."

Dr Jo's face morphed from shock to revelation within seconds, causing a small giggle to escape the high priestess' lips.

"That was one hell of a roller coaster ride, I'd tell you. But I still can't relate to why Lord Akusa placed a hefty bounty on Tzuyu… Did I miss something?"

Sharon's smile instantly dropped at the mention of the girl. 

She had taken an oath by the deathbed of the preceding high priestess, to protect the secret and also the last pure blood from harm. But here she was, ready to make it bare to a stranger from another nation…

Then again, she needed this. 

The situation had taken a turn when they put that bounty on Tzuyu's head. The latter was attacked once; there's no guarantee she would be able to escape again. She needed help, and with Dr Jo's expertise, she would be a formidable ally.

There's no turning back, Sharon.

"Tzuyu...” She said, almost hushed. "She is the exiled member, the last pure blood of the royal family."

Sharon glanced up to the healer, expecting some kind of reaction from the latter. But there was none. The healer’s composure had returned, only was muttering words, probably deep in thoughts.

“But then… why?"

"Immortality." 

Dr Jo let out a gasp, the last word managed to connect all the confusing dots in her head.

"Don't tell me–"

"Yes. Lord Akusa is hunting her for that sole purpose."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

//// NEXT CHAPTER ////

 

 

 

 

"Caught ya! That was a close call, Sana."

"Tzuyu! Nice timing!"

"Perhaps this is fate being an ally of our meeting, huh?"

“Oi, oi! We’re dying over here, stop it with the chivalries!”

 

 

 

 

"You killed innocent people, burned their village for your baseless revenge!"

"Baseless? I'm doing my people a favour!"

"You are a lost case, Lord Akusa."

"The hunt will still continue, with or without your support, Lady Sharon."

 

 

 

 

"What about marriage?"

"M-Marriage?"

"Being in love, starting a family, living under a roof… do you think it's possible, Sana?"

"Well... If you will for it, anything is possible, Tzuyu."

"I always imagine myself doing all of that... with you, Sana."

 

 

 

 

“You dare showed your face here.”

“Why do you detest me so much?”

“Is that even a question?”

"The request... I'll do it. But in one condition."

"What is it?"

"Let her live."

 

 

 

 

Do you want to save her?

Please, I'll do anything.

Even if there's a price to pay?

Even if my life is at stake.

Then, give me your blood.

Blood? What are you-

Release me, princess.