Chapter 3

Stuck with you (in supernatural attraction)

"Come on, it's just a dog!"

"Which is possessed, mind you."

"It's not going to be that bad. I mean, dogs are cute and fuzzy and cuddly! The least they would do is bite you… right?"

Tzuyu shot Sana a look, wondering how much more naive this girl could be. Yeah, dogs only bite, but that innocent bite could infect humans with rabies. 

Hence, the main problem arises; is Sana really a normal human to begin with?

"Pray tell how is that supposed to convince me?"

Sana makes a pondering face before a full-blown grin takes over, "I can turn invisible!"

Right… of course she can.

"But you're stuck with me right now."

"The more reason I need to come with you!"

Sheesh, such a smartass. Tzuyu sighs deliberately, an attempt to hide the amused smile playing on her lips. "Fine. I guess there's no harm in you tagging along. Just make sure to stay close to me, alright?"

"Okay!"

Once they reach the apartment, Tzuyu stares at the door with a strange look. She checks again the location Dahyun sent. 

It is the correct one.

"What's wrong? Is this the wrong unit?"

"It's the right place, but I can't feel anything."

Indeed, Tzuyu has been trying to sense any paranormal energy since they stepped foot on the apartment building. There was none. 

"Should we go back?"

"No," Tzuyu shakes her head as she presses the bell on the intercom. "We're already here. Better make good use of the time we have."

Without even waiting for a minute, the door suddenly swings open revealing a woman in mid-thirties with black hair tied in a messy bun and a pair of round spectacles barely hanging on her nose, giving them the stinky eyes. 

“Miss Mobeom?”

"Who the hell are you?" A groggy voice mumbled behind a facemask.

"We got a call regarding a “possessed” dog…?"

The woman gives them a contemplative look, pulling the door ajar just enough for her arm to slit through.

"Hands."

“...huh?”

It was out of whim, but both Tzuyu and Sana instantly reached out their hands just like trained dogs waiting for treats.

“Palms out.”

Again, they followed automatically. Maybe this person is indeed a dog trainer…only to have their palms sprayed with sanitizer instead of dog treats. 

“How cute.”

Tzuyu snapped her head to Sana, finding her lips lifted in a teasing smirk. , she heard that?

“I did! But don’t worry… I’ll give you some treats later, okay?”

She is taken aback when Sana leans closer with that annoying smile, her own mouth fumbling for a comeback. Thankfully she was saved by the other woman who snaps at their silent interaction.

“Excuse me, you’re here for business, not some love affairs! Do that in your own room, for christ sake!”

Tzuyu clears while Sana sheepishly mumbles an apology before stepping inside the apartment. She begins to scan the room, her senses heightened for any abnormal disturbances in the air. 

“Could you briefly explain what happened, Miss Mobeom?”

Her personality takes a turn from a grouchy woman to a forlorn person as her eyes turn tearful. “I didn’t know what happened but he suddenly mauled my hand when I gave him treats. Now, he keeps gnawing on my newly bought pillows and couch like a mad woman. Dobby is usually a sweetheart… like a distinguished young man, full of manners... My poor Dobby!”

“And Dobby is…?”

“My dog!”

Tzuyu immediately bobs her head, wary not to upset the emotionally-disturbed woman. She peers into the living room and indeed, the place is a disaster. She picks up the remnant of a pillow now void of its stuffing, the content scattered all over the floor. 

However, nothing was out of place… paranormally , at least.

“This doesn’t seem to be a case of a possessed dog.” Sana said under her breath, catching Tzuyu’s attention with her remark.

“You think so?”

“I mean, it feels too normal for me.”

Of course, even if Sana is a human, she was once a paranormal being stuck in that mansion. She has her fair share of supernatural aptitude to begin with, so it’s not a surprise that she can detect strange anomalies in the air.

The only way to really confirm their suspicions is to see this Dobby in the flesh.

“Miss Moboem, may I see your dog?”

“Wha… dog?! Dobby is not just a dog, okay? She’s my baby Dobby… my angel, my sunshine… Noo my poor Dobby! Who did this to you?!”

"Okay..." Tzuyu and Sana shared a shrug.

“Sorry, I was too caught up with my emotions.” Miss Moboem wipes her unexisting tears before taking a deep breath. “Follow me. I keep him locked in a room… just in case he goes berserk on me.”

When they reach the door, the doom impending on the hallway miraculously doesn’t appear. It feels too quiet for their liking, even Miss Mobeom is reluctant to get close to the door as she hides behind a tall vase.

“Y-You may enter the room, don’t mind me!”

“Sana, stay back. We don’t know what lies behind the door.” Tzuyu warns Sana, who is the least fazed by the situation. Instead, she takes the initiative to open the door, the sound of growling greeting them both.

By the corner, they can see a small ball of fuzzy staying still, its fangs protruding. The dog probably sensed them as a threat, but Sana is too delighted to realize that.

“Aww, he’s just a small puppy!”

“Wait, Sana! Be careful-”

It was just a split of seconds, but Sana is already crouching before the cowering dog, ignoring Tzuyu’s heed. Surprisingly enough, the growling was exchanged with whimpering when Sana pats the dog. Tzuyu watches carefully as it boops Sana’s fingers with its nose before giving it a .

“Tzuyu, it's okay. He's harmless.”

Trying not to frighten the dog, Tzuyu approaches them with careful steps, and true to her instinct, the dog begins to be alerted again as she closes in on them. 

“I think I’ll stay here.”

“Why? You’re scared of dogs, eh?”

On the contrary, Tzuyu loves all things furry and adorable. But being the creature of the night, the dog probably sensed her as a threat, much to Sana’s amusement.

“Just… to be safe.”

“Fine, you don’t have to admit it.”

Tzuyu ignores the mirth in Sana’s voice, instead crouching beside the girl to inspect the strangely-acting dog. She could discern the changes in Dobby’s attitude when Sana its hind leg.

“There,” Tzuyu points to the left leg, “can you put more pressure on it?”

As soon as Sana touches the spot, the dog begins to bark in pain. As she suspected, the dog has a broken leg.

“It hurt its leg, probably from a fall or something...”

“Eh? No wonder he’s behaving like this.” Sana coos as she mutters strings of apologies and consolation to Dobby, trying to pacify the distressed dog. “Think you can fix him?”

Tzuyu was about to retort, thinking it's better to bring it to a vet instead of becoming a personal healer to the dog. But how could she when Sana is flashing the puppy eyes that could melt even the iciest heart of her ancestors.

“Give me your hand.”

“Oh, you’re going to do your magic thingy, right?”

“No,” Tzuyu’s lips lifted from Sana’s enthusiasm, “but you will.”

Just as their hands touched, a soothing glow appeared and envelops their connected hands. A soft trail of light slithers against Sana’s arm, gently pulsing towards the dog like living tendrils of a tree.

The light slowly dims and just as Sana flutters her eyes open, she is welcomed with Dobby jumping over her lap, happily barking with a healthy leg.

“Wait, eh? Did I just…”

“You did.”

“So it was me? I healed Dobby?”

“You sure did.” 

Tzuyu gently smiles with a nod to reassure the girl. Indeed, it was all Sana’s doing. She had noticed before that Sana has a latent aptitude for healing, but the ability was likely sealed due to the curse. 

She merely gave Sana a start by channeling her magic, that’s it.

“No way! How can that be possible?”

“We might be sharing an affinity, somehow.”

As the words escaped Tzuyu's mouth, she could feel a sense of nostalgia overwhelming her. And just like that, a flash of memories took over her mind... 


 

“Was that really magic?”

The girl bit her lip from cracking up a smile as Tzuyu showed her palm, bewildered. 

"Told you so."

"You're lying."

Tzuyu received a chortle as a response, a teasing one. “I merely gave you a little push – everything else was your own doing.”

“So that means… I could heal as well? Just like you?”

“Yes, now you can help heal others too, Tzuyu… and she’s your lucky first patient.”

The girl gave the cat a few on its head, her silver hair gently fluttering against the soft breeze.

“Heh… if I can do healing magic as well, that means we shared an affinity, in a way. Isn’t that right, little fella?” 


 

“Aww you’re calling him “little fella”, that’s cute!”

“Eh? What do you - whoa!” 

Tzuyu almost jumps in place when she feels something wet her face, thinking it was the cat in her dream. But to her dismay, it was only Dobby. She heaves a sigh of relief, which didn’t go unnoticed by Sana.

“Are you alright? You don’t look so good.”

As a matter of fact, she is feeling a little out of it, what with the memories randomly flashes at odd times. Was it the third – second time now? It was unusual, but she shouldn’t be too bothered by it... and neither does Sana.

“It has been a long day, after all. I’ll be fine after taking some air.”

“Yeah, we should bring this little fella back to his owner as well. Miss Mobeom's depression might get worse the longer she’s separated from this baby boo… isn’t that right, Dobby?”

The aegyo should have annoyed her if it was Chaeyoung, surprisingly it didn’t pose the same effect when it came from Sana. Giggles bubble up Tzuyu’s throat as Sana twirls the dog in the air. However, her laughter dies down when she realizes that Dobby is instead, floating on its own…

“Sana, your fingers…”

“What?”

“They’re gone.” 

 

 

//

 

 

“Hmm… they should be there,” Chaeyoung mutters while holding a huge magnifying glass. “But then, they’re not there . And suddenly, they’re there again!”

“Oh gee, maybe you should get a better device.”

“A telescope, perhaps?”

“You mean, a microscope?”

“, that’s what I said.”

A loud smack fills the room as Dahyun palms her face, “Could you just… step away from Sana, please? You’re making her uncomfortable.”

“But I’m trying to determine whether her fingers are really gone or they just, you know, ing glitch or something!”

“Stop treating her like a specimen and – yah, yah! Could you get your gadgets off my table, please? Those notes worth a decade of my age, thank you!”

“Sheesh, that’s why you act like a damn grandma with a stick up her .”

“DO YOU HAVE A DEATH WISH?!”

As the two midgets exchange friendly banter back and forth, Tzuyu silently stands by the corner. No, she's the least concerned about her friends' normal antics, but more of Sana. The supposedly harmless Q&A session had turned into a random interrogation led by the so-called gadget genius and the clergy prodigy. Even Tzuyu had a hard time restraining herself from keeping Sana away from these weirdos.

She notices Sana had turned fidgety when those two started throwing jabs at each other, and Tzuyu wants nothing more than to comfort the girl. But Tzuyu isn’t one to wear her emotions on her sleeves. Instead, she conveys her concern by using another “convenient” way only accessible by Sana and her.

“Hey.”

She managed to gain Sana’s attention, but her heart almost crumbled at the sight that welcomed her; of distressed caramel orbs that had lost their shine and downcasted lips.

“Everything’s going to be fine.”

“I don’t know…”

She could hear Sana’s dejected voice in her head, losing the brightness that always accompanies her beaming smile that Tzuyu comes to love.

“Look at me.” Sana reluctantly raises her head, and Tzuyu is quick to flash her a smile. “We’ll work things out. I promised I’d protect you… right?”

“Yes, you did.”

“Do you trust me, Sana?”

She could see a glint, a glimmer of hope twinkling in those caramel eyes as Sana gave her a small nod. 

“I trust you, Tzuyu.”

“, you two... Are you eyeing?”

“Oh, for god’s sake! Keep your mouth shut if you don’t have anything better to say, Son Chaeyoung!”

And that was the cue for Tzuyu to step in. 

She grabs Chaeyoung's shoulder before the latter could spew anymore nonsense that may aggravate the already volatile clergy because when Dahyun calls you with a full name, she means serious business.

"Don't."

Tzuyu calmly warns when Chaeyoung opens , but it was just her yawning.

"Sorry, was just trying to lift up the mood. That little 's been tense and all…"

"We know, but that's just how Dahyun operates at times."

Tzuyu wraps a comforting arm around her sulking friend as she motions for them to leave Dahyun to her own devices. Stealthily, she casts Sana a worried look as the girl trudges behind them in silence.

“Yeah, yeah… I get it. No need to get chummy with me.” 

Tzuyu feigns a hurt look when her long arm was shrugged off by Chaeyoung, who in turns smacks her with a snort. 

“I’m gonna order some grub since it’s past dinner time. While you,” The small girl wiggles her eyebrows suggestively. “You should cheer up your girl.”

“Ha…? What are you–”

“Sana-ssi!"

"Y-Yes?"

"It’s going to be a while before dinner arrives so Tzu here wants to take you someplace nice to blow off steam." Chaeyoung shamelessly announced with her trademark cheshire-like smile, at the same time nudging her fumbling fool of a tall friend with a knowing look. "Right, our Tzuyu?”

“Uh, well… I mean, I guess? T-That is, if you want to…”

“Of ing course she wants to! Just make sure to keep it PG-13, okay?”

“Can you not–"

“Now off! Don't come back unless you made babies!”

"Yah!"

And the door slams shut on them, leaving the two standing awkwardly side by side from Chaeyoung's unfiltered mouth.  

Damn you, Chae… remind me to report all your youtube contents after I get back .

"So…"

"Hm?"

"Where are we going?"

Heck, Tzuyu doesn't even know what to reply, no thanks to Chaeyoung’s brilliant plan of ditching them abruptly. Furthermore, with Sana’s current unstable state, it's better if they avoid the crowd. As Sana leads them out of the building, Tzuyu is deep in thought trying to rake her brain for a place to relax.

Perhaps, she can bring her there…

Then, her gaze naturally fell on Sana's figure. Maybe her eyes have taken a liking to Sana because even a little small gesture from the girl would catch her attention. Just like the way Sana's pale lips trembled or her pairs of adorable ears hidden by brown tresses had turned red.

“Sana.”

“Yes?”

As Sana turns to face her, Tzuyu smoothly drapes her jacket over the girl’s shoulder, leaving herself only with a turtle neck blouse on. 

“What’s this for?” 

“In case you’re feeling cold.”

"Oh, you don’t have to…."

Contrary to her words, Sana actually grips the jacket tighter before facing the street again. The reaction alone makes Tzuyu’s chest swell with delight.

“You're welcome.”

Sana might hide it well, but the blush apparent on her face didn’t escape Tzuyu’s keen eyes, after all.

 

 

//

 

 

"Are we there yet?"

"Just a little bit more."

They have been walking for a while now and Sana could feel her legs about to give out. Blame it on the stupid curse that traps her in that mansion for decades. Her stamina depletes just from taking a walk, how much more pathetic could she be?

"Are you okay?"

"Just… a little out of breath."

"We're almost there."

She follows Tzuyu into a back alley, the faulty streetlight made the street eerie from the shadows of moving cars and swaying trees. Sana begins to feel her nerves getting awry, the claustrophobic experience makes unwanted memories in the mansion to resurface again.

"Tzu, are you sure this is the right place?"

Suddenly, she feels strong arms wrap around her waist as warm breath tickles her ear, a squeak almost escapes from the unexpected action.

"I need you to close your eyes and hold me tight."

"Well, I can't even see a thing right now anyway." Sana feigns a laugh; an attempt to ease her frenzy heart, to no avail. "Uh, what are you trying to do, actually?"

"You're not afraid of heights, aren’t you?"

"I'm not sure, I guess so? I mean, I don't have memories of climbing a tree or being up in a tall tower, if that's what you mean."

"What about flying?"

"You mean, in an airplane?"

"No, as a bird."

The laughter appears again, this time a bit strangled. "You're kidding, right?"

"Nope, we're taking off now. Ready?"

"Yeah, right. You're really going too far with the joke – wait Tzu what are you - !!!"

Sana choked on her own spit when her body lifted up in the air, the abrupt inertia made her heart drops out of shock. However, her nerves soon calm down when she feels gentle breeze slapping her face, eyes naturally flutter open. 

“UWAAHH EHH? Wait, we’re flying? Hold it, you can fly?!”

Her hands fumble to wrap around Tzuyu’s body as the view she could only see is dots of lights down below. Just how high they are in the sky, she wouldn’t know. But she does understand her body would be mangled into an agonizing state if she let go.

Despite her panicky state, an amused giggle greets her ear. “You should’ve known.”

“Why, because you’re a vampire? How would I know a vampire could fly?! We’ve only met, just so you know!”

“No… we’ve done this before.”

Tzuyu’s voice was barely above a whisper, but Sana heard it nonetheless.

“Eh? What do you mean?”

However, her question was left forgotten as Tzuyu makes a sudden dip, her feet now touching land. A part of her is grateful to finally touch the ground, but another part is feeling disappointed they’ve already arrived.

“That was really short…”

“Hm?”

“It’s nothing.” Sana quickly shakes her head with a forced smile, then turns her gaze at the surroundings filled with… nothing. “What’s with you and dark places, anyway? Is this another of your eccentric “vampiric modus operandi” of cheering me up?”

She heard a snort, “Is that even a word?”

“It is, after I met you.”

Sana admits that it was a bit cheesy, no doubt about it. But then again, seeing a coy smile plastered on Tzuyu’s usually aloof face was worth it. Maybe she has a knack of being a smooth talker. 

“Didn’t know my presence already made that much of an impression on you.” Tzuyu calmly replies as she leans down to Sana’s eye level. “Also, just a heads up… We’re going to fly back later, so might as well take your time enjoying our much anticipated vampiric flight.”

Sana’s face instantly heats up from the close proximity. Okay, she didn’t expect that to backfire…

Pathetically, Sana clears . “So, care to tell me what we’re doing here? It’s getting a bit freezing, too.”

Sana crosses her arms together, coldness begins to seep through the jacket Tzuyu had lent her. She notices the taller’s presence getting closer, and maybe it was just her imagination, but Sana could feel warmth radiating from Tzuyu’s body, inclining her to lean towards the latter.

“Just wait for a little bit,” Tzuyu said as she studies the sky, “You’re gonna love this.”

Sana raises an eyebrow, “How are you so sure?”

“I just know.” Tzuyu merely smiles back, but that smile was potent enough to wreak havoc in Sana’s heart.

Before she could dwell much on the matter of her heart, Tzuyu’s face starts to glow. Sana follows her line of view, only to let out a gasp of awe.

Up above the sky is the moon peeking out from the dark clouds, so bright it illuminates the area with a magical gleam. What she thought was the wet street of the back alley turns out to be a layer of ice on a frozen lake. It gleams with a magnificent lustre of a crystal, stealing Sana’s breath away.

“It’s… beautiful.”

“Isn’t it? The pine trees hide the place really well, protecting it from being ruined by human hands.”

“So it’s like your little secret escapade when you want to be alone?”

“It is… but I’m not alone anymore.” 

That smile appears again, as well as the squeeze in Sana’s chest. Because being with Tzuyu made her feel things… of nostalgia and intimacy, where they shared a connection of unexplained familiarity.

They’re overwhelming, but she welcomes them anyway.

Sana watches as Tzuyu makes a little bow in front of her, palm out. “Care for a dance?”

Sana begins to take note of things… Of how their flitting touches feel like fire, how Tzuyu’s gentle hold sear through her skin in comfortable warmth, how synchronized they are in swaying together, how their feet move in accordance to one another, how fitting their role is with each other.

All of it was natural… too natural to be a coincidence.

Their silent waltz ends with Sana twirling inside Tzuyu’s embrace, their breath mingling together as eyes gaze into nameless soul. The attraction is too much for Sana to grasp, but Tzuyu’s alluring gaze makes her heart ache. She wants more, she craves for more…

So Sana lets her in.

She lets Tzuyu take control, leaning in to steal her breath, steal her kiss, steal her heart away… only to hear the intruding voice in her head again.

Time is running out.

What? What do you mean?

You must do it now. 

I don’t understand- 

Give her your blood, or your sacrifice will be in vain.

Sana wakes up with a gasp, her breathing unstable. It was as if an epiphany had fallen upon her, the gravity of the situation finally kicked in.

“Sana? Hey, are you alright? What’s going on?”

She turns to see Tzuyu’s worried features, and that’s when her memories surged in like broken dam. She’s here for a sole purpose, and that is for Tzuyu to…

Her heart clenches in agony. 

Of course, that’s why I feel so much attraction to Tzuyu. I’m here right now, in this state, because of her… and only she could end this, before it’s too late.

She glances up, the moon still in its full phase. She still has time. However, her worry escalates when Tzuyu points at her hand. 

"Sana... your hands. It's disappearing."

Indeed, her hand is slowly losing its colour, just as the moon is gradually fading its light. 

"It's time." 

Sana declares with a determined heart, wanting to end this once and for all. She finds a stray pebble and slits her arm, blood dripping down the frozen lake, tainting the clear surface with crimson red liquid. 

"What are you - no, don't come closer!"

Sana steps forward, Tzuyu takes a step back, the smell of blood overpowering her self-control. That’s what Sana intends to do, she needs Tzuyu’s demon to break free and take control.

"Look at me, Tzuyu."

"No… Stay away, Sana!"

She watches forlornly as Tzuyu’s eyes glow like the colour of her blood, a pair of fangs protruding from the scarlet lips. It’s heartbreaking to see Tzuyu struggling to fight her inner demon, but she has no other choice. Crouching down, she wraps Tzuyu in an embrace, hoping it will ease her suffering.

It is, the least Sana could do… before it’s time. 

"Tzuyu, I want you to do it." 

"What...?"

She gently cups Tzuyu’s chin, coaxing the latter to face her. "Drink my blood."

As Tzuyu is caught in a trance, Sana seizes the chance to lean in. She could feel Tzuyu’s reluctance, but her strength slowly weakens as Sana deepens the kiss. It was bittersweet, tasting her own tears in their longing kiss.

The time they spent was short, but it was everything Sana could ever wish for. Having Tzuyu beside her, knowing she’s doing well with caring comrades made Sana relieved. Their fate was cruel, but Sana is ready to shoulder the burden of their forsaken destiny.

If this is what happiness is, if seeing Tzuyu’s smile is her happiness, she would do it all over again.

“I’m sorry…” Sana whispers with a sad smile, before biting her lip.

The tang of copper lingers in Tzuyu’s mouth, then her eyes snap open. Crimson orbs glaring red, breath purring loud like a beast waiting to pound its victim. Her carnal desire has taken control, leaving Sana lifeless in her hold. 

A deafening growl reverberates from , and everything turns black.

 

 

//

 

 

Tzuyu peels her eyes open, only to see a different surrounding.

The towering pine trees are gone, replaced with walls made of wooden planks. Gone was the bright lustre of a crescent moon, only candles and lanterns illuminate the dim area. The crisp coldness of the crystal lake had disappeared, leaving the cemented floor dusty and rough to touch.

It is a different setting, a different room, a different smell. However, she's rather familiar with everything, and that scared her.

"You…"

Tzuyu turns to the voice, finding a cloaked figure standing by the entrance of the room. Her senses heightened, her vampire instinct going awry by the seconds. It made her confused, alerted , but also at peace with the unknown presence.

Really, it‘s daunting and terrifying.

The figure suddenly lurches at her, hands stretched out. Taken aback and befuddled, Tzuyu braces herself for the surprise attack of the stranger.

Only to feel something soft landed on her lips.

A moan escapes Tzuyu's mouth as she pulls away from the kiss, her eyelids heavy from the surprising pleasure. It made her heart pound hard against her ribcage, tongue darting out to wet her assaulted lips. 

"You're here… You're finally here."

She knows that voice, that scent, that taste… but Tzuyu is afraid to open her eyes. Because if this is a dream, she doesn't want to wake up. It feels too realistic for it to be a fragment of her lost memories; she's not ready to face it yet. She’s not ready to face her lost love.

But she did

Slowly opening her eyes, she is welcomed with a familiar face she had come to love, but instead of brown hair, she is greeted with silver tresses as bright as the moonlight. 

Her breath hitches.

 

 

 

"Sana…?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

//// NEXT CHAPTER ////

 

 

 

"This is the first time I've seen, handled, a vampire."

"I wouldn't say you're lucky, but you're truly fortunate it's Tzuyu."

"How did you meet her?"

"She saved us." Dr Jo said, "If it wasn't for Tzuyu and your ladyship, we would have lost our heads by now."

"You mean, Lady Sharon?"

 

 

 

 

"Hell - don’t tell me you can spit fire as well?"

“Last time I checked, I’m still a vampire, Hyun… not a dragon.”

The healer raised an eyebrow at the petrified Son, “What’s wrong with her?”

“She was knocked for six by Tzuyu’s floating body.”

 

 

 

 

“I didn’t peg you as a healer.”

“And I didn’t peg you as a priestess who would ditch her own sermon.”

“I believe our meeting here has to do with fate, as you would say.”

"It does feel like coincidence rather than fate for me."

"I wouldn't blame either if having you here is the aftermath."

 

 

 

 

"She is the remaining pure blood of the royal family."

"You mean..."

"Immortality."

"Don't tell me-"

"Yes. Lord Akusa is hunting her for that sole purpose."

 

 

 

 


A/N: tempted to end it like this, but that would be cruel to my readers.
then again, i'm already cruel with the late updates nyaaa~