Chapter 3

ILLUSION

 

 

"The last memory I have was going to bed last night when I was literally nineteen and in my dorm room. I woke up this morning here, and find out we're married, and I have a daughter. And she's beautiful and wonderful, and I love her, but I don't know who she is beyond this morning. I don't know what's wrong with me!" Yuri burst into unexpected tears.

 


 

 

"Shhh, sweetie, it's okay." Yunho put his arms around her, and rubbed her back comfortingly.

 

"It's not okay." Yuri said into his shirt, "I don't even know who I am right now. I don't know if this is all a dream, or if I've lost my memory completely."

 

"Honey, did you hit your head last night?" Yunho asked her.

 

"How should I know, what I thought was last night was evidentially several years ago." Yuri sobbed.

 

"You weren't any different when we went to bed." Yunho said thinking out loud, "I wonder if you hit your head on the headboard. We were pretty wild last night. I suppose it's possible... Yul, I'm going to call the doctor okay?"

 

"Okay." Yuri said. She stared off into space. Yunho stood up and went to the phone. She didn't listen carefully as he made the call. She was trying her best to remember anything about how she got here. Then a thought slowly crept into her head. Was this some sort of prank? In the middle of the night, admits her drunkenness, had she been carried out of her dorm room and placed here, for someone else's amusement? She turned to say something to Yunho about it. But then she saw him, standing in the room, listening to whoever was on the other end of the line, staring at Yuri, deep concern showing on his face. No, he definitely would not be a part of something like that she decided. She smiled softly at him. He forced himself to smile back at her, though he was deeply worried for his wife.

 

When Yunho got off the phone, he walked back over to Yuri. "The doctor's coming in the next couple of hours babe." he said.

 

"Okay." Yuri said. She crossed her arms, "I'm so sorry Yunho." she said. It was incredibly embarrassing to think she might actually have a husband and child and be so neglectful so as not to even know them. Well, of course she'd known Yunho. But that was in high school. Ages ago. Or was it?

 

"How old am I?" Yuri asked.

 

"Twenty seven." Yunho replied. He laced his hand in her hand and kissed it.

 

"How old's Hana?"

 

"She's almost four." Yunho said.

 

"I had her young." Yuri said. She looked at her and Yunho's intertwined hands.

 

"Yeah, well, she wasn't exactly... you know, planned." Yunho replied, scratching the back of his neck.

 

"Oh." Yuri said. "Did you, um, are you happy? I mean, did you want to marry me?"

 

"Of course!" Yunho assured her. He pulled her close to him and kissed her head. "We were already planning on moving in together when you found out you were pregnant."

 

"How did we end up dating?" Yuri asked. "You like Go Ara."

 

Yunho burst out laughing, "Maybe you are still nineteen." he said, "Well, I'm married to you so I wouldn't say I still 'like' Ara. We broke up near the end of our freshman year of college. We tried to make it work for a while, but, you know, we were changing and growing apart. We tried to stay friends, but I haven't talked to her in a couple of years I guess. Anyways, you transferred to Seoul the second semester of you sophomore year. You called me to see how things were going and we went out to catch up. We decided to go out again. Then we went on a few more dates... started to get serious. I mean, you know how a relationship develops."

 

Yuri nodded. "I wished I remember dating you. Or hearing you tell me you loved me the first time. Or Hana being born." She sighed, "Continue."

 

"Oh, uh, well we graduated the same year. You had an agent, and started committing faithfully to your acting career. (At this point Yunho leaned over and kissed Yuri's forehead.) "I was on my second year playing in the sport team, when we decided to move in together. We started making arrangements. You were going to move in to the condo I was already living in. But days before the move, you found out you were pregnant. We talked it over, and I of course told you the decision was ultimately yours, but we both agreed we wanted to have the child. And after taking you out to dinner soon after that, I took you here. I'd just bought the house, and was kind of taking a leap because I didn't consult you. (Of course, you are responsible for all this lovely interior design.) Anyways, you loved it, and I proposed to you right in the living room in there."

 

Yuri smiled. Everything sounded perfect. She used to dream about her life turning out this way. Well maybe she was still dreaming...

 

"Um, am I still trying to be an actress?" Yuri asked.

 

Yunho smiled, "Uh, I'd say you're pretty successful. Try stepping outside and you can judge by how many camera men attack you."

 

"Paparazzi?" Yuri said blissfully. Oh, this definitely had to be a dream.

 

"We decided that you would be the one who got to keep their career." Yunho explained. Yuri looked at the ground. Of course, typical Kwon Yuri. She was still selfish even in this life evidentially.

 

"You offered to take some time off to be with Hana, but I didn't really want to play again, I preferred to spend time with my family." Yunho said, making her feel better.

 

Yuri smiled at him, "You sound like a wonderful husband Jung Yunho. I never thought we'd actually end up married to each other."

 

Yunho hugged her close to him, "My life wouldn't be complete if we hadn't" he whispered