Everything Will be Alright

Lost in Sentiments
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yena stirred awake a little then roamed her still drowsy eyes around the room, and there she looked at the dim light from her lampshade colliding with the moonlight coming from the outside through her half-opened window: just how she always likes it to be. She was about to sit up straight from her bed not until she felt a weight and force on her waist, pulling her down closer. And that's when she only noticed that her best friend sneaks in again inside her room, unnoticed.

 

"Come back here, don't leave me," the girl's muffled voice uttered. She's lying down on her stomach and her face is all snuggled to the pillow. She's trying to pull Yena closer to her, afraid that the latter would leave.

 

"When did you get here again, Yuri?" asked Yena as she fixed the blanket she's now sharing with the girl beside her.

 

Yuri, the girl who's lying down beside her, finally shifted her head to face her friend as she struggled to open her sleepy eyes, but what welcomed her suddenly made her smile.

 

"You're wearing my gift," Yuri said, eyeing the pyjamas the older girl is wearing. It is a Toy Story patterned pyjamas. And knowing how the older girl loves Toy Story so much, she knew Yena would wear it every time. The former smiled even wider when Yena went back to lie down beside her.

 

"Everything okay at work?" Yena asked. She stared at Yuri while her hand automatically went upwards to fix the strands of the younger girl's hair.

 

Unconsciously, she smiled. Yuri is so beautiful and angelic, in fact, no other words can describe her beauty. Even the words angelic and beautiful are an understatement for Yena. To her, she thinks, Yuri is unmatchable.

 

"Hmmm. Not really. Students are so annoying. You know, teens are a bunch of brats," Yuri replied and the older girl could definitely notice the annoyance and patience tiring out in her voice.

 

She chuckled as she found it cute. Everything she does, to Yena, it's just way too adorable to handle.

 

"Hmm, professor Jo. Aren't you a brat too?" Yena clicked her tongue while she pulled her friend closer trying to annoy her, but it did the opposite because the younger pulled her back as well, clinging so hard as if she could go any closer.

 

"I should have applied as a kindergarten teacher instead. At least, kids are a lot more tolerable than teenagers," Yuri said, tapping her index finger on Yena's chest as she tunes into her breathing.

 

"Well, considering that you are quite short-tempered. I don't think handling kids would be a better idea," Yena said, trying to stifle a laugh which Yuri immediately noticed, causing her to shoot a glare at the older.

 

"Yah!" Yuri could frown and glare a hundred times, and Yena would still find ways to annoy her. Well, they get more irritable at times if one will not annoy the other.

 

"I missed you," Yuri suddenly said as she looked up to face the older, once again. Yena showed her a timid smile— Yuri couldn't even tell if that's a smile at all.

 

And just like that, the atmosphere around them changes.

 

"You do know that we cannot do this often, right? Like normally clinging to me, sneaking in here in my place and acting all chummy with me," Yena said, trying to hide her emotions while sounding so calm. But eyes never lie and Yuri could definitely read her.

 

The older girl is sad. But why?

 

"Are you uncomfortable with it, or with me?" Yuri asked, sounding so confused. Her brows furrowed and her lips curled downwards.

 

"I'm literally working on your marriage proposal to whoever you are going to propose to," Yena said, this time, her tone has changed, her expressions became evident... and her emotions are getting in the way.

 

Oh well, here they go again. They just had the same argument a week ago.

 

It's been a week already since they last fought over this topic. Yena is an event coordinator and Yuri came to her last week, wanting to be Yena's client because apparently, Yuri is planning to propose to her hidden girlfriend after all these years.

 

Yena is not mad that Yuri is planning to propose; she was just mad at the fact that they've been bestfriends for so long yet Yuri has never told her a single thing about her girlfriend. Somehow she felt betrayed, but she couldn't blame Yuri though. What if Yuri has other reasons?

 

But is she really mad because of that or is she jealous?

 

"Yena," Yuri started, her voice sounding apologetic, her eyes begging for understanding. And there she sighs. "I thought we agreed on not pressuring each other about their secrets? I mean, it's not like you tell me yours too," Yuri said as she looked down, fidgeting at the hem of Yena's shirt, trying to avoid her eyes.

 

Well, Yuri does have a point though. That’s when Yena realized that she’s letting her emotions get into her again. Her eyes became shaky, her lips trembled, and her mind became hazier.

 

"I-i'm sorry I-I didn't mean to sou-" Yena choked on her words and was about to tear up not until Yuri placed her index finger on Yena's lips, preventing the latter from speaking any further.

 

"Hush, I understand. Don't blame yourself. I'm sorry, we really shouldn’t be talking about this now," Yuri said, grazing her fingers on the older girl's lips before swiftly moving her hand to caress her cheeks. "I'm actually sleepy now, I know you're also tired from work, so let's just rest right now, I guess?" Yuri said before smiling and tightening her grip around the older girl's waist. As soon as she saw Yena calm down, she tried pulling her closer and closer as if there's still a gap between them. Yuri snuggled her face to Yena's neck and there she made herself comfortable once again.

 

Oh, how Yena wishes they could still hang out normally like this for a long time.

 

But this seems so wrong. How can Yuri cling like this to her if she already has a girlfriend? Or is Yena just overthinking?

 

——————————————————————————————————————

 

This is so wrong, but somehow this feels so right.

 

That's what Yena has been thinking for the past two weeks now. It's been a week since she and Yuri talked about that topic again. Right now, they are here again at Yena's condominium, discussing the event for Yuri's proposal.

 

"I like it, how about you?" Yuri suddenly asked when Yena finished discussing the details and progress.

 

"I like it too– I mean, truthfully speaking, I love it!" Yena exclaimed, but deep inside she wanted to say something else.

 

This is my dream proposal though.

 

"Good then! We can push through next month, right?" Yuri asked since her marriage proposal to her 'hidden' girlfriend will happen a month from now.

 

Good thing she has an appointment with another client and she wouldn't be able to witness her best friend proposing to a woman she doesn't even know.

 

But at the same time, she wants to witness it because it's her best friend and she also wants to know who the lucky woman is.

 

Oh, best friend.

 

Does she see Yuri that way? Is she really not jealous?

 

"Hey, Yena! Are you listening?" Yena didn't even notice that she's been in deep thoughts not until Yuri called her a little louder while snapping her fingers in front of the older girl.

 

"Yeah, come again?" Yena asked.

 

"You're going, right? I don't want you to miss out on my proposal. Also, I need a photographer at the end," Yuri said, pouting at the end of her sentence. She looks at Yena expectantly as her lips curl down and down each second of silence passing by.

 

"I-I am not sure though. You can ask Minju to be the photographer instead, right?..." Yena trailed off, testing Yuri's reaction first, but seeing how Yuri's shoulder dropped a little followed by a little sigh, she knew she shouldn't have said it. "I have an appointment with another client at that time, but don't worry! I'll try to catch up, 'kay?" Yena immediately assured as she patted the younger girl's head to soothe her.

 

"You should," Yuri said while frowning and Yena immediately caught on to this.

 

"Come on. Don't be sad, I'll try, okay? Let's continue knitting now if you want to come with me tomorrow," Yena said as she sat down on the carpeted floor between the couch and table to continue knitting, trying to brighten up the younger's mood.

 

Well, she agreed on taking Yuri with her tomorrow to visit her family because the younger one insisted to come despite her hectic schedule at the university she's teaching in. After all, her whole family is familiar with Yuri already, especially her parents. Her parents are so fond of the younger girl that they probably always check up on Yuri more often than Yena.

 

Yena isn't mad though, she finds it so cute in fact. Like who wouldn't be when your parents treat your bestfriend extra special like that?

 

Again, best friend. Now that word is starting to get on her nerves already.

 

——————————————————————————————————————

 

"I asked Yujin and the others to start setting up the arcade. I already found sure suppliers for the stuff in there. I'm sure once we go back tomorrow, it's all set up already," Yena said while her gaze is still on her phone. They're currently at Yena's family house, just chilling in the living room while watching television. Yena's parents are still buying groceries according to her brother so when they came, no one really welcomed them except for the dogs and Yena's brother who doesn't seem to be in a good mood today.

 

"That's perfect! Also, can you give me the number of the supplier for the machines? I'm going to ask about the program so I could insert some surprises," Yuri said.

 

For some reason, Yena felt weird. It's as if something is piercing and aching inside her chest— more like her heart. She couldn't exactly describe what it is, but one thing's for sure: Yena is definitely in deep regret.

 

Is it because she really likes Yuri and she couldn't confess? Or is it because she's her best friend and she regrets being her best friend in the first place?

 

God, Yena stop being dumb. You are hopelessly in love with her. There's no denying anymore!

 

Her thoughts were interrupted when their entrance door opened, revealing her Mom.

 

"Auntieeeee!" Yuri suddenly squealed as if she's still a kid who misses her mother so much. Yuri immediately rushed towards them to welcome Yena's parents into a hug.

 

"Tsk, I already told you to call me Mama or Mom, didn't I, future daughter-in-law?" Yena's mom said and Yena could only sigh. Yena's mom has been calling Yuri that name ever since they were in college. It was just an inside joke but Yena knows her mom is serious about it.

 

"Ma, stop it. Yuri is getting married soon," Yena said before she pouted. There was a silent gasp due to the sudden announcement and followed by it is a short silence.

 

"You proposed to Yuri alread—" Yena is now feeling so embarrassed for some reason so before her mom could say something else any further, she cut off her words.

 

"I mean, Yuri is proposing to her girlfriend next month. What are you saying?" Yena said, this time there's a hint of annoyance in her voice. Yuri somehow feels so apologetic and wants to soothe the older girl again right now, but her parents suddenly speak.

 

"O-oh! I didn't expect that. You have a girlfriend already?" and God, Yena's mom looks even more devastated as if she's more deeply affected by it. Well, they couldn't blame her. It looks like Yena's mom has been rooting for Yena and Yuri for so long only to find out that the latter is getting married to someone else that isn't her daughter.

 

Mom, me too. My ing God.

 

"U-Uhm. Auntie, let me help you with these, I'll bring your groceries to the kitchen," Yuri said, excusing herself from the sudden awkward atmosphere surrounding them.

 

And as soon as Yuri left the living room, Yena suddenly got cut off from her thoughts when she felt her mother's hand hitting against her arm. Not too strong but loud enough to startle her.

 

"I can't believe I raised a coward!" Yena's mom said, glaring at her.

 

"I-i-"

 

"Forget it, I'm not mad. After all, I'm not the one that is hurting too much here, no?"

 

"Ugh, mom I know. Stop rubbing it on my face anymore. And keep your voice down! She might hear you," Yena said, frowning so hard.

 

One reason why Yena's family is so fond of Yuri is that Yena might have accidentally admitted one time a few years ago that she likes Yuri.

 

 

Haha, years of being a coward and in love with your best friend? Yena you are so cliche and hopeless!

 

 

————————————————————————————————

 

Yena finds herself stuck inside her room with her dogs Ganjang and Bibi. Her mom took Yuri out to go shopping at a nearby mall because she wanted to bond a little more with Yuri. She's supposed to come as well but Yena lets them go by themselves since she just doesn't feel like going out for now.

 

Soon, after hours of waiting, Yena almost fell asleep not until she heard Bibi barks. The door opens revealing Yuri and there the dogs start jumping around.

 

"Yena, your brother ," the first thing Yuri said upon seeing Yena is this and Yena couldn't agree more even though she doesn't know what made the younger say this.

 

"Did he do something again? I thought he's in a bad mood," Yena said.

 

"He overheard about earlier. He said he thought I'm gonna be stuck with you for the rest of my life," Yuri said as she plops herself on Yena's bed beside her, rolling her eyes before groaning in annoyance.

 

Yena lets out a chuckle as she plays with the strands of Yuri's hair.

 

"Is that a bad thing though?" Yena asked, to which Yuri immediately denied with a shake on her head as she sat up straight on the bed.

 

"I meant his face when he said that, he looks so damn annoying," Yuri defended.

 

Another thing Yena likes the most is that Yuri is so close and comfortable with her family that she always bickers with Yena's brother too as if they are siblings by blood. Sungmin really likes to annoy the hell out of Yuri all the time and it's no big deal to Yena, to be honest. It's adorable though, and unique to see her best friend beating the out of her brother at times.

 

In fact, Yuri could easily sneak into Yena's family line and no one would notice.

 

"Also, I would rather have myself be stuck with you than the damn University I'm currently teaching in," Yuri said as she suddenly snuggled to Yena's arm.

 

This is definitely not helping Yena's gay self.

 

"But you're gonna propose to someone already, that means you're getting married sooner or later. You're definitely not gonna be stuck with me," Yena said.

 

And boi, did Yena just sound too sad when she said that? It's obvious and Yuri couldn't be more guilty.

 

Yuri let out an apologetic sigh as she tried to trace the palm of Yena's so-called cream bang hand with her index finger before intertwining their fingers together.

 

"You brought it up again," Yuri said with her voice is so small, full of worriness.

 

"I'm sorry, but realistically speaking I'm just stating a matter of fact," Yena said, keeping her eyes on the ceiling. Even at times like this, she's being too cowardly in front of the younger. She dares to get upset, but look at her still suppressing her feelings!

 

The tension between them is definitely helping no one.

 

 

 

"Yena, does it really upset you? You know you can always talk it out with me," Yuri is trying to console Yena again, the latter is well aware of it, yet she doesn’t want it, or let’s say, she’s a coward.

 

It does really upset Yena, not because she's jealous and feeling betrayed, it's because she realized the effect Yuri has on her and she's afraid she wouldn't be able to move on sooner if Yuri will keep acting like this, not even setting a boundary between them two. To Yena, Yuri keeps invading her personal space to the point she’s confused already. At some point, she likes the thought of Yuri invading her personal space, but on the other hand, she feels like it’s wrong because she’s having a hard time assessing what she really feels for her. She thinks she's only feeling like this because she’s used to having Yuri by her side all the time.

 

Yena wants Yuri to stop being too considerate and worried about her. How is she supposed to live without Yuri?

 

However, despite all the dilemma going on inside her head, Yena suddenly smiled as she pulled Yuri closer to her in a hug. Yeah, damn her indecisive .

 

"Sorry I won't bring it up anymore. I might be just too tired from work," Yena said, which is more like an excuse as she doesn't want to argue any further with Yuri. She just knows if she lets her emotions get in the way, her talk with Yuri would only lead to a fight.

 

"I am serious. If something really bothers you, just talk it out with me," Yuri said as she pouts while resting her head on Yena's chest.

 

"Yeah yeah I know," Yena said, smiling in an attempt to hide her negative thoughts earlier. "I think I can smell dad grilling some chicken. Should we go down and eat already?" Yena asked, trying to completely shift their conversation.

 

"Yeah, I guess."

 

————————————————————————————————

 

"Make sure you visit again soon okay? If Yena doesn't wanna take you here, just tell me!" Yena's mom said while walking their way to their garage to Yena's car.

 

"Auntie, I can go here even without Yena but I know this lady right here will definitely sulk if I'd do that," Yuri said as she giggled. Yena suddenly puts her arm around Yuri's shoulder as she playfully ruffles her hair before facing her mom.

 

"Who said I am sulky, huh?" Yena asked as she pinched the younger's cheeks this time, earning a glare from her.

 

"Oh gosh, stop flirting here, go home now! I will see you guys soon, okay?" Yena's mom said.

 

"Love you, auntie!"

 

Yuri is such a lovely and charming girl, how can Yena even stop falling for her?

 

But it's wrong. She's getting married. She should just give up and move on.

 

"Yena I don't think I can sleep over at your place again tonight. I forgot that it's midterms this week so lots of work and stuff for us professors." Yuri explained while Yena is driving towards her place, supposedly.

 

They planned to have a movie marathon at Yena's place because Yuri cannot watch a horror movie alone so she asked Yena, but she forgot that she has a job to finish before she could get her paycheck

 

As soon as Yena dropped her off her place, she immediately drowned herself at her desk just to finish all her tasks today. She didn't even think of eating dinner since time completely slipped out of her mind. She arrived at noon and forgot that it's already been 9 hours since she last ate a meal. And because she's really busy and told Yena about it already, she wasn't expecting a visitor so she's wondering who's ringing her doorbell right now.

 

As she struggled her way towards her door looking like a mess becau

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter