Picture Perfect [JeongTzu]

6th Anniversary Special

 

Jeongyeon takes pictures of all beautiful things, but Tzuyu.

 


 

Someone said Jeongyeon is a magician. 

 

Just by capturing the perfect scene, she can make the still pictures move again, as if she had captured the soul and breathe the essence into the motionless image. It's a talent she found when she stumbled upon her father's old film camera, fiddling the device with the curiosity of a child before accidentally snapping the perfect picturesque of the morning hue.

 

An innate talent of an artist was soon unleashed, only it wasn't through the brushes and canvas, but of lenses and film roll.

 

She has come across many beautiful things; of sunsets and sunrises, city skylines and nightscapes, and the whole creation of mother nature. But what attracts her the most is the variety of people she met along her line of work as a professional photographer. They are beautiful in their own characteristic way, and Jeongyeon appreciates each of them in her own way too.

 

However, there's one person in particular that makes the photographer at a loss. No matter what ways she attempts, the beauty just doesn't seem to fit inside the viewfinder of her most expensive camera.

 

Just like right now, where she accidentally saw her muse sitting on the bench facing the Han River, the latter's gaze lost in the distance. Jeongyeon's intention to snap a few scenery of the river for her side project was abruptly thrown out the window. Instead, she hastily raises her camera and points it at the woman. 

 

She tries to control her breathing while adjusting the lens to focus on the subject, but it is futile when her heart starts beating louder than normal, a common occurrence when the woman is within vicinity. 

 

Taking a deep breath, Jeongyeon tries again. It's a precious view, despite only seeing the side profile covered in a black mask and flat cap, but she's not letting this precious sight go to waste.

 

Because for Jeongyeon, every view she sees of the woman is worth a lifetime.

 

Her brain makes a quick calculation, of the aperture and angle for the perfect lighting and composition, to make her subject stand out amidst the beautiful background of brown autumn leaves and warm yellow sky. She holds her breath, index finger pressing the shutter button.


 

SNAP!


 

Jeongyeon quickly checks the result, only for a frown to appear. The picture doesn't do her justice, and Jeongyeon hates it.

 

"Unnie?"

 

Jeongyeon looks up, immediately hiding the frown with a grin as the woman waves at her. She approaches the bench situated under a wilting cherry tree, her sneakers lightly crunching the fallen leaves of autumn.

 

She wears a playful smile at the gleaming round doe eyes, "Were you expecting me here, Tzuyu-ah?"

 

She remembered texting the younger woman earlier about taking a walk near the river to pass off time, not that she expects to see Tzuyu there because the latter has a schedule until late night for today.

 

"No, I was in the area."

 

What a bad liar , Jeongyeon thought aloud with a smirk, but Tzuyu wasn't fazed, merely ignoring the fact she was caught red handed.

 

"Wait, let me change that." Jeongyeon makes a pondering face, before snapping her fingers with a teasing grin. "You're running away from your manager again, aren't you?"

 

Tzuyu snatches off her mask, the pout visible for Jeongyeon to see. "No! I just - need some air... and I did ask for manager-unnie's permission, mind you!"

 

An airy chuckle escapes Jeongyeon's lips, "Can I really trust you?"

 

"Why not?"

 

The voice almost resembles a whine, and her hand is quick to pat Tzuyu's head. "Because you did escape once during our photoshoot session."

 

It's still fresh in Jeongyeon's mind of the first time they met, being assigned as a photographer for Tzuyu's first solo magazine. Funnily, it was also the first time she had experienced a photographer's block because believe it or not, she had a hard time capturing the model's beauty into the still negative film.

 

Because Tzuyu's beauty is so out of this world, Jeongyeon's camera had suddenly lost its meaning and function.

 

It was also the last project she did as a contract worker before deciding to be a freelance photographer. To be honest, it was the most liberating move she ever did; Jeongyeon finally got to pursue a whole new muse of her life's purpose.

 

It's in the form of Chou Tzuyu.

 

"Why do you like to tease me so much?"

 

"Because you're so gullible, and adorable." 

 

Jeongyeon pinches the dimpled cheek now colored in red hue, only to have Tzuyu's head leaning towards her body. The model buries her face on Jeongyeon's abdomen, the slight pressure makes her breath hitched.

 

"T-Tzu, what are you doing?"

 

"I want a hug."

 

Jeongyeon gulps, hands awkwardly hovering on her sides as her eyes frantically scan the surroundings.

 

"Uhh sure, but not here. People will see us!"

 

"Let them be." Tzuyu looks up, fluttering her puppy eyes as arms wrap around Jeongyeon's lean waist. "I want them to see how beautiful my girlfriend is."

 

And just like that, a surge of heat flows up from her neck to her ears, painting her complexion with flushes of red. She tries to look away, but Tzuyu's gaze is so intense and sincere, it strikes a chord within her.

 

She realized then why she can't capture Tzuyu's beauty through the lenses; because her beauty isn't just on the outside, it's from within too. Her soul is too pure for this world to cherish, too beautiful for a frame to keep, too precious to be captured in a film.

 

"Are you trying to sweet-talk with me right now?"

 

"Maybe." Tzuyu shrugs, the dimple apparent from her cheeky smile. "But I really miss you, and your hug."

 

Out of reflex, her hands land on Tzuyu's shoulders, gently squeezing the woman in an embrace, just as the latter desired. The soft approved hum she received was ticklish, but also comforting at the same time.

 

Maybe, she doesn't have to look through the lens anymore to capture the beauty that is Tzuyu. She only needs her eyes to appreciate the presence of the beautiful woman and cherishes her the way she deserves; as a living human.

 

"Are you still on your break?"

 

Tzuyu takes a beat to answer, "I think so… why?"

 

"There's a shop nearby that sells toasts, I heard they're really good."

 

Tzuyu's eyes twinkled at the mention of bread, and Jeongyeon had to bite her lower lip from cooing at the cute sight.

 

"Unnie, I haven't had my dinner yet. Let's buy some!"

 

"Ehh? Aren't you on a diet?"

 

"It's cheat day today."

 

"So suddenly? Eyy, I'm not falling for that!"

 

"But I'm craving bread…" The pout appears again, but Jeongyeon likes to spite the usually composed model just for the fun of it.

 

"Fine. You eat the bread, I'll eat the rest."

 

"Ahh, unnie!"

 

The couple ends up in a fit of grumbling whine and laughter, their arms linking together as they leave the beautiful view of the Han River for a bite of the greasy grilled toast from a nearby stall.

 

Someone said Jeongyeon is a magician, maybe indeed she is. The photographer doesn't have to worry about bringing beautiful pictures to life anymore, now that she has a living ethereal beauty right by her side.