Drive ii

Drive

The cheers that surrounded the car when they had reached the finish line were muted to Yuqi. She was still trying to calm her heart from the rush she just experienced. That was probably the most amazing experience she has ever had. Honestly, she would love to do it again.

Soyeon looked at the unmoving girl with worry, “Hey, Yuqi are you okay?”

Yuqi turned to the driver with wide eyes and the brightest smile before she leaned over the console and pulled Soyeon into a hug. Surprising the older who just laughed and held her closer.

“Thank you,” Yuqi whispered.

“For what?” Soyeon asked a bit confused.

Yuqi pulled back but stayed close to Soyeon, “For letting me drive with you. It was insane.”

Soyeon hummed, “I’m glad you had fun. Should we join the others?”

Yuqi just nodded her head as she and Soyeon got out of the car and joined Shuhua and Soojin who were standing on the sidewalk. On the way Soyeon got many congratulations as Yuqi just looked at the older who seemed shy by all the attention.

“Congrats. Here’s your prize money,” Soojin said as she handed Soyeon and envelope.

“How much?” Soyeon asked.

“Enough to treat us to a few meals. Speaking of we need to go before the cops pitch up, they might have been tipped off just now and you do not want them to see you. Let’s meet and have something at the garage, I will pick some food up on the way if you’re okay to take care of the babies?” Soojin said nodding her head to Shuhua and Yuqi who were bickering about something.

Soyeon nodded as she just chuckled at the strange girls, “Sure, I will see you in thirty minutes.”

“You got it, boss,” Soojin said walking away.

“Boss?” Yuqi asked now that her and Shuhua’s attention were on her.

Soyeon smirked, “Did I not mention that before.”

Soyeon started to walk away towards the car when Yuqi and Shuhua just stared at her with gaping mouths.

Yuqi caught up to the woman and linked her arm through Soyeon’s, “Is that why I wasn’t dead as soon as you saw me?”

Soyeon snickered, “No, I don’t kill people on purpose, sweetheart. I steal cars to sell the parts and do illegal races that’s pretty much it. I’m involved in the street racing world; I would never get involved in other stuff like drugs or assassins.”

“Have you ever been to prison?” Shuhua asked as they reached the car.

Shuhua climbed in the back while Yuqi was in the passenger seat.

Soyeon tensed at the question, “I’m afraid that is none of your business.”

Yuqi and Shuhua shared a look before they kept quiet. Yuqi turned her attention to the blonde again who looked stiff and was frowning as they pulled off. Yuqi didn’t like seeing Soyeon so moody, so she placed her hand on the blonde’s knee to let her know it was okay. She didn’t have to share her whole life with a girl she had met twice.

Soyeon released a breath, she shouldn’t have let that question get to her as much as she did. She hated talking about the reason she was sent to that god forsaken place. She was framed and had to live with the consequences for someone else’s actions. She could never see her family again because it was too risky for them to know she was alive.

She felt calm when Yuqi placed her hand on her knee. It helped her relax a bit so taking her hand off the gear shift she held Yuqi’s hand, lacing their fingers together before she placed their hands on the gear shift again.

Shuhua noticed this and as cliché as the gesture was, she couldn’t help but be happy for her friend who had never been free to love. she could see that this was a something that would finally break Yuqi away from the hold her father had over. It could make her see she didn’t need his recognition or his love because as heart-breaking as it was, Mr. Song would never be the loving and kind man he once was.

The girls arrived at the warehouse shortly and once parked inside Yuqi recognized it as the same place she had been to just a week ago.

“Hey, isn’t that your car?” Shuhua asked Yuqi pointing at her old Ford Fiesta.

Yuqi laughed, “Yeah, I forgot about that,” She looked at Soyeon who was leading them up some stairs onto the second level of the warehouse, “What are you gonna do with it?” she asked.

Soyeon looked at it nonchalantly, “Sell the parts.”

“Really? That’s all? I thought you would do something cooler like revamp it for racing,” Shuhua said slightly confused.

The woman stood on the second floor that looked down to the garage part of the warehouse to their left stood a kitchen and small living room area.

“You live and sleep here? It’s not much of a home,” asked Shuhua who was looking around.

“Yeah, I don’t need anything more than this and a home can be whatever you make it. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a perfect house.” Soyeon said shifting through the fridge and grabbing four beers.

Yuqi sat on the couch and thanked Soyeon when she passed her a beer, “You’re not wrong.”

Soyeon sat next to Yuqi, maybe closer than she should have, but she could care less. She liked the strange girl, and she wasn’t exactly hiding it, plus Yuqi obviously like her back so there wasn’t much reason for her to deny the attraction she felt.

Their attention all turned to the warehouse door that was opening to reveal the black-haired beauty they had been expecting. Soojin walked up the stairs with plastic bags containing whatever dinner she had brought for them.

“Here you go,” She put the bags on the table before grabbing her beer Soyeon had taken out for her and taking a seat on the single seater to the right of Yuqi.

“Thank you unnie!” Yuqi and Shuhua said in sync while sitting on the floor around the table.

Soojin wasn’t lying when she called them babies.

“Sure,” Soojin replied a small smile appearing at the sight of the girls already unpacking the food.

She was surprised they had grown so comfortable around her and Soyeon in such a short time. Especially since they were aware that the two were criminals. Having them around wouldn’t be too bad, she thinks. She enjoys playing the mom of the group but seeing that Soyeon was always quite closed off and, Minnie and Miyeon were older and now living in their own apartment only taking calls when they were really needed for private business, she wasn’t really able to cook or take care of them anymore. She just knew she was going to enjoy the presence of the two newcomers, in fact she was sure of it.

Soojin quickly moved to grab herself food before the others ate it all. While Soyeon just sat back and ate as she watched the two babies talking. She wasn’t happy that Yuqi had moved away but seeing how the girl was so comfortable in her presence made her happy. She wasn’t even phased by Soyeon’s living situation which made her feel warm, it wasn’t an ideal situation, but Soyeon had her reasons for staying in the warehouse. Even when Miyeon had told her it wasn’t safe (which it was not) but no one who knew her would mess with her.

“I’m just saying you don’t need that business degree your father’s forcing on you,” Shuhua said looking at the girl.

When did the topic turn serious? Soyeon thought.

Yuqi sighed “I know that Shuhua. I don’t want to do it; you know that but it’s not like I can fight him on this. Not until I can stand on my own anyway and plus, he was so happy when I started it you know. Maybe I should just take over the family business?”

“He won’t let you! He’s going to make you marry Lucas and then give it to him. Your father doesn’t believe women should be in high positions in companies, you are well aware of that,” Shuhua argued.

Now, that caught Soyeon’s attention, “He’s arranged a marriage for you?”

Yuqi’s attention drifted to the blonde, “Unfortunately, I have been trying to get out of it, but it’s proving to be difficult.”

“Wait, you have been flirting with me when you have a potential husband who you haven’t exactly said no to?” Soyeon said growing angry for not having this information.

Soojin cleared offering her hand to Shuhua, “Let me show you the roof top.”

Shuhua immediately followed the girl not wanting to get involved in the argument about to happen.

“I’m sorry,” Yuqi spoke softly looking down.

Soyeon scoffed, “You’re sorry? Really?”

She stood up taking the now empty cartons of food and throwing them away while trying to clean up a bit. Yuqi followed the woman into the kitchen space.

“I really am. I have been planning to find a way to end it! I promise! I would never marry a man, Soyeon. I would not do that to Lucas, he deserves to be with someone who will love him just as I deserve the same.”

Soyeon was still grabbing the empty beer bottles and completely ignoring Yuqi.

Yuqi sighed from frustration as she trapped the woman between her and the counter, “Soyeon, please listen to me. I really like you and I think this could be so much more. There is still a lot of family issues I have to deal with, but I have never wanted anyone as much as I want you.”

Soyeon looked at the frustrated girl with a slight blush forming in her cheeks at the words, “Yuqi, I am a criminal and as cliché as it is our worlds, they don’t mix, and they never will. It was stupid for me to even consider being with you. I have my own issues to deal with and it’s too risky for me to be with you.”

Soyeon tried to move out of Yuqi’s grip, but Yuqi would not let her go, “I will prove it to you, I don’t want anyone else. Whatever issues you have, tell me and you will see that I won’t leave. It’s not how a relationship works, you can’t just turn and run when it gets too hard. You’re supposed to stay and fight for the person you love.”

Soyeon closed her eyes and leaned forward resting her head on Yuqi’s shoulder, “It’s not something you can fix or ignore, Yuqi. I can’t tell you, it’s way too risky even considering being with you was a stupid idea. You’re too much of a public figure and I could never even go in public with you.”

Yuqi frowned at Soyeon’s stubborn attitude, but she could understand that they did not really know one another. There was more to Soyeon's story ad Yuqi understood that, but Yuqi was not one to run from something she wanted, and she wanted this so much more than her father’s attention to finally see her. She was going to fight for whatever this could be.

Yuqi wrapped her arms around Soyeon, “What if I left home and disappeared?”

Soyeon was confused as she pulled back to look at Yuqi, “What?”

“What if I left, he would disown me for being a disgrace and let me be,” Yuqi suggested.

“Could you handle that? Like, really think about it. Could you really cope with your father disowning you?” Soyeon asked with all seriousness.

Yuqi nodded, “It would be hard at first, but I can’t live life the way he wants me to. I don’t want to be weighed down by his expectations anymore.”

Soyeon cupped Yuqi’s cheeks, “Yuqi-ya, you need time to think about this. the consequences will only hit you later and what happens if we don’t work-out, then what? You won’t have your family to fall back on.”

“I’d have Shuhua, and I will make my own living when I am free from him,” Yuqi stared straight into Soyeon’s eyes to show her how serious she was about all of it, “can you just trust me?”

Soyeon could see the determination in Yuqi, but she also did not want to be the cause of the girl losing her family, “What happens if he doesn’t let you go?”

“I will make another plan. I will always make another plan,” Yuqi’s eyes were practically pleading with Soyeon to see and understand how much she wanted this.

Soyeon was silent as she seemed to be thinking about it, “three months.” Soyeon exhaled deeply.

Yuqi was a bit confused, “Huh?”

Soyeon gazed at Yuqi’s confused face, “let’s try date for three months and if you still want to go through with leaving your family behind, I can help you disappear if that is what you want.”

“You would really do that for me?” Yuqi brightened up at Soyeon’s compromise.

“Yes. I like you too, Yuqi-ya. I wouldn’t be risking my freedom if I didn’t.”

Yuqi squealed before she pulled Soyeon into a kiss. It was not like the first which was rushed and one-sided. No, Soyeon pulled the younger closer to her as the two smiled and Yuqi let out adorable giggles of pure happiness. It was enough to make Soyeon know she made the right choice.

~~

“Did I hear that right? THE cold-hearted Jeon Soyeon has finally got a girlfriend!” Minnie teased the woman who was working on her most recent stolen car.

“It’s just a few months trial, Minnie. We don’t even know if she genuinely likes me or if it’s nothing but a crush,” Soyeon rolled her eyes at the woman.

Although she was acting indifferent about it, she was in fact feeling deliriously happy by the younger. It had already been one month since the race and the deal were made, yet already Song Yuqi had managed to make her smile every morning. Yuqi had been sending her flowers and ridiculous toy cars with even more ridiculous pick-up lines similar to when they first met. Even though it was extremely cringe and so not her style, when she saw the note, it immediately lifted her mood.

Even Soojin was surprised by the good mood such a simple action could cause. Minnie was only told about all of what went down because she happened to see her daily flower delivery in person. Yuqi had not been able to do it herself recently due to her being on a tighter lockdown at home, but she managed to send Shuhua. Although Shuhua would complain by the trouble it caused her Soyeon had a feeling she didn’t mind all too much because as soon as Soojin entered the room Shuhua was all over her.

“Don’t play coy, I know you like her more than you’re admitting too.”

“I do, unnie, I really like her and it’s kind of scary. What if it doesn’t work or she chooses her father?” Soyeon asked genuine fear in her eyes by how all this could turn out.

She was afraid to fall in love with the younger, only for her to leave her anyway. She did not want to get attached to someone she would eventually lose. It would break her heart and even though she knew it was stupid, I mean anyone could see Yuqi was in love with her despite the short time they had been seeing each other she still questioned if the girl would really think she was worth it.

Minnie turned serious when she heard the younger call her ‘unnie,’ seeing as that almost never happened, “She sounds like she would fly to the moon and back for you. I don’t think it is anything to worry over and even if it doesn’t work the way you want it to you will still have us. You will always have us by your side.”

Soyeon smiled at Minnie, “Thank you.”

“Don’ sweat it. Anyway, when are you going for your next date?”

“She’s coming here for dinner tonight, she managed to get out of something, so she can sneak out or something like that. Shuhua didn’t really describe it all that well.”

“Ooh, good luck and do everything I would do,” Minnie said making her way out the workshop to meet her girlfriend.

Soyeon laughed before she checked the time. She seriously needed to start getting ready. She went upstairs to shower and change into something nicer before she cleaned up a bit. She moved to the kitchen and prepared everything to cook with Yuqi. She was ecstatic and so she sat on her couch and waited for the girl to appear.

~~

It had been three hours and Soyeon had already finished the wine she had gotten for her and Yuqi. She probably changed her mind, was all Soyeon could think as she downed the last glass and got ready for bed. She changed into a large shirt with a pair of underwear not too bothered as no one was coming by tomorrow anyway. She was devastated by the no-show and could not believe she was too stupid to think that Yuqi would ever leave her life of comfort and safety behind. Soyeon scoffed, I should have known. She fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow thanks to her alcohol consumption.

It was a few hours later when Soyeon heard a loud clang from outside. The woman woke instantly and ready to fight whoever trespassed. She quietly made her way down the stairs after grabbing her handgun from her safe. Soyeon heard footsteps coming closer, so she hid behind the door as she saw a shadow come in. Soyeon moved quickly, she pressed the gun against the intruder’s head.

“What do you want?”

“Soyeon?” came an all too familiar voice.

Soyeon breathed a sigh of relief, “What the , Yuqi? I could have killed you!” She shouted at the girl as she turned to close the door and switch on the lights.

Yuqi followed the woman upstairs as she locked her gun away and looked at her with anger in her eyes, “I am so sorry about tonight. I tried to get here on time but then my dad stayed home, and he’s doubled security at night so even sneaking out after he went to bed took forever which is why I am so extremely late. I really am sorry.”

Soyeon eased a bit hearing the explanation, it made sense and she was silly to let her alcohol induced self-conscious thoughts get to her, “It’s okay, Yuqi.”

Yuqi moved towards Soyeon but still kept a bit of distance between them, “It’s really not. All of this is just not okay. You shouldn’t be okay with it!”

Soyeon sighed but walked over to Yuqi and held her hands, “It really is. I understand and it but we can do it again. You must leave to go home soon anyway. Your father will be angry when he wakes and you’re not here.”

Yuqi shook her head, “I don’t want to go back. Ever.”

“What do you mean?” Soyeon asked confused.

“I don’t want to wait another two months Soyeon-unnie. I want to stay here with you, if it’s okay obviously. But I won’t go back there either way.”

“Yuqi-“ Soyeon was cut off.

“Please, I know you don’t think I know what I’m getting into, but I do. It’s all I’ve thought about and I want nothing more than to stay with you, but my father won’t let me go so easily,” Yuqi told her before Soyeon could go into another lecture about how she doesn’t know for sure, because she does. Yuqi had never been more sure about anything.

“What do you mean?” Soyeon asked confused by her last statement.

“My father is pushing the marriage with Lucas even more because of some shares or something that Lucas’ family is involved in,” Yuqi answered and looked at Soyeon firmly before she uttered her next statement, “I think I should fake a suicide.”

Soyeon’s eyes went wide with shock, “Yuqi, that isn’t something you can undo or take back. You need to seriously think about this. It’s a huge decision that no one else should play an influence in.”

“I know that, but it’s what I have to do. Not just to be with you, but get out of my father’s hold,” Yuqi said hoping Soyeon would see that it was what she wanted more than anything, “I’m not just doing this to be with you. I’m also doing this for me, I don’t want to live the life my father expects me to live.”

Soyeon still seemed hesitant so Yuqi stepped closer to her and kissed her lightly, “I wouldn’t be doing this unless I was absolutely sure it was what I wanted. I want to be with you Soyeon, freely. Not having to send Shuhua with notes or trying to sneak out every time I want to see you.”

Soyeon leaned her forehead against Yuqi’s, “Okay, I hear you. We will discuss it properly in the morning. Are you going to stay here?”

Yuqi grinned sheepishly as she backed away and walked down the stairs. Soyeon watched her from the first level as Yuqi wheeled in a luggage bag and a giant giraffe plushie. Soyeon shook her head at the girl.

“I was hoping you’d agree!” Yuqi shouted.

“Unbelievable,” Soyeon muttered as she shook her head, “just get up here, I’m exhausted.”

Yuqi laughed as she bounded up the stairs and lay her plushie on the couch before she opened her bag to grab some pajamas. She went into the bathroom to get changed and when she entered the bedroom Soyeon was already lying on her bed. Yuqi stood awkwardly outside the door not sure if Soyeon would let her into the bed with her or if she should just stay on the couch.

Soyeon wondered why Yuqi was standing awkwardly at the door but smirked realizing why the younger was acting shy, “Come here,” she patted the spot next to her.

Yuqi skipped over to Soyeon and lay under the covers facing her. Soyeon opened her arms so Yuqi could cuddle her. The puppy was overjoyed by the action while Soyeon just sighed. Yuqi was a baby, but she was her baby and that’s all that mattered.

“Goodnight unnie.”

“Night Yuqi-ya.”