Chapter 2

My Little Noona
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

That night, Donghae succeeded in convincing his parents to buy him a cellphone but with a promise to graduate diligently in High School. The next day he came home, his wish was already granted and he now had his cellphone in his hands. He was so happy, he hugged his parents tight and thanked them for their hard work. With too much excitement, he immediately thought of his best friend to tell the good news through the telephone. He ought to ask for his cellphone number because Hyukjae already had it.
The call didn’t last 3 minutes when he held his phone and seemed to be already typing a message to Hyukjae.

He sent a message, “Hello! Hello. It’s better to talk this way. Our parents wouldn’t be too nosy about our stuff.”

“Yeah! Congrats on having a cellphone!”

“What are you up to these days?”

“Again, Donghae… We meet every week.”

“No, but you don’t tell me what’s up with you when we’re in SM!”

“Fine! Our school has this thing going on. You know blind dates? It’s famous these days.”

“Oh, really? What about it?”

“I was set-up into one but I chose not to go.”

“What? Why?”

“My ideal type is different.”

“How would you know that you won’t see your ideal type on a blind date?”

“There’s just a sudden change of heart. I was supposed to go but then I saw this girl who just bought bread from the bakery. She even had one bread on and pushed the door through her body. She’s my type so I approached her instead.”

“Really?! You know what’s funny? I also met a girl. I just wasn’t telling you about it yet.”

“For real?! I’m not the only one hiding something! ㅋㅋㅋ Introduce me to her, hurry!”

“Sure. If we’re already close enough. But hey, tell me about the girl you met first! What’s she like?”

“Pretty, demure and the sweet type.”

“Ahh~ Phew! I’m glad the one I met is different from that. I don’t know what I would do if we had the same ideal type. ㅋㅋ I really like this girl a lot.”

“What about yours? What’s she like?”

“Kinda bossy, strong woman actually, but with a hint of kindness. She’s cool.”

“Oh wow.”

“Let’s have a double date when both go well!”

“Good idea! Ya, it feels good to send a message, right? There’s more privacy.”

“I know! ㅋㅋㅋ”

“You know what? These days, I like watching y videos.”

“Okay. I’m not responding to that. Stop it.”

“Watch this on a PC café! I’ll type in the title.”

“No!”

Right after Donghae sent his message, he didn’t look at his phone again, even if Hyukjae already sent the title of the video. But then again, Donghae was at the peak of his teenage years so he couldn’t help himself but to feel tempted to watch it too. Unfortunately, there was no PC café in his area.
Hyukjae had no idea that Donghae asked his classmates the next day to ask where the nearest PC café was from their school. He was eager at first but his conscience took over him in the afternoon. He had to go to SM anyway, so he had to cancel whatever his plan was after school.

He had dance week in SM together with the other members of his group, which meant that it would be a busy week for there would be consecutive dance rehearsals until the wee hours of the night. He trained hard that he was so worn out at the end of the week. He was so tired after practice that he wasn’t even eating dinner and just always went straight to his bed upon going home.
Because he just had his cellphone, he couldn’t just give up on his studies. Therefore, he tried his best to juggle two things at the same time. The good thing about him is that he was never late in school and especially in his dance practices. But through the rigor of these schedules, his body had to pay the price.

It was the end of the school week when he had a sudden feeling of coldness and shivers in his body. It was accompanied by a rise in temperature and copious sweating. He was at the onset of a fever one night that he didn’t greet anyone from his family and just went to his room to rest.
Of course, even if he didn’t talk, his parents would notice. They know their children very well even if they don’t say a word.

In his room, he was feeling lightheaded. Before his eyes shut close, he talked.

“I wonder how that noona is doing nowadays. Ahhh… I miss her so bad.”

Then he fell asleep.

Before his consciousness went off, at the back of his mind, he was relieved that it was the weekend tomorrow. He was so scared to miss school because he knew he was sick. He wanted to graduate so badly because he knew that his parents worked hard to buy him a cellphone. 
His family was not well-off and the money they used to buy him one surely came from their hard earned money. He was grateful for that and because of it, he didn’t want to disappoint them in return. However, it took a toll on him.

He was in the middle of his sleep when he felt a cold wet towel on his forehead and a blanket covering his body. He squinted his eyes but closed it again because his eyelids still felt heavy. He just saw a glimpse of his room. It was dimly lit and it looked like hours have passed since he slept. Besides, he was already sure. He knew it was his mom taking care of him. He couldn’t react to it, he couldn’t even give her a smile but he knew his heart felt warm. 
After that, she went out of his room and then he heard a voice. A very familiar voice.

Her voice.

“I’ll get going now, auntie.”

Then he heard his mom reply, “I was wondering… You were wearing a different uniform. What school do you go to?”

“Ah, I’m studying at Yongsan.” ,she politely replied.

The moment he heard the girl say the name of her school, he rose from his bed and eavesdropped from his door. He had his eyes wide open because he was still working on believing that he heard her voice. 

He thought, “Could she be here? Did she just come from my room? Why is she here? How did she know where I live? Why would she go here? It can’t be. It can’t be. Ah! I don’t know anymore.”
But then she spoke again, “Annyeong. Thank you very much.”

His mom bid her goodbye as well and then the next thing he heard was their door that just closed which meant she already left.
He panicked and looked for a mirror in his room to groom himself a little bit. He realized he was still wearing his school uniform but his long sleeve beneath his blazer was ed. Probably because his mother had to wipe his chest with a towel. He got shy at first that she probably saw his bare chest but now’s not the time to overthink it. All he had in his mind was that she was getting away and he might not see her again so he just hurriedly fixed his hair and buttoned his long sleeve and got out of his room to run outside. 


(Background Music: The Blower’s Daughter by Damien Rice || https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpNa6b61daw) 


His mom was very shocked to see his recently weak son suddenly have the stamina to run quickly. Like someone rising from the dead. Just lately he was bed ridden and had zero energy but he seemed to have a random boost of energy to go outside. 

She asked, “Where are you going?”

He shouted, “I’ll be back!” then went out of their house.

His mother murmured, “I thought he was very sick? What’s wrong with kids these days?”

Donghwa commented, “I think my brother is in love.”

“You think so?”

Both of them looked at the door and just shrugged, letting him manage his own thing.

When Donghae was finally outside, he looked to his left and right to look for her, or if it was really her. His world stopped when he saw her on the right side, facing back but with her head turned to him.


It was really her.


He smiled widely and joyfully greeted, “Little noona!”

Dara replied with frightened eyes, “How—You were just—I thought you’re sick.”

“I am!” He admitted to it but acted the opposite.

She just stared at him to check if everything’s okay with his mental state to be smiling right at her when she just saw him peacefully sleeping minutes ago. She wondered how he could be so suddenly full of energy when he was just dead tired lately.

While she was staring at him, he ran to her and surprisingly hugged her tight.
She took one step back because his body was leaning on her. He was heavy.
He was beaming when he finally had a chance to touch her. He was scared at first that she might push him away or slap him for being too forward about a sudden intimate touch, but she didn’t move away. She just submitted to his touch.

He said in a sulky voice, “I missed you! Where have you been? I’ve waited for you in front of your school for a week. Are you avoiding me?”

“Wow. You’re… straightforward.”

He chuckled, still not letting go of her, then replied, “Because it’s true! I really waited.”

“Yes. You’ve been quite the topic in our school. They said someone famous was always outside our school. I didn’t know you were famous.”

He unwrapped his hands from her to look at her reaction when he said, “I’m not famous. But would you be appalled if I was?”

“Why would I be?”

He smiled and hugged her again. But this time, she commented, “Wow. For someone who I just met,  you surely are a very clingy person, aren’t you?”

He let go again and laughed at her remark. Then he replied, “Yes. I could say that I am a very touchy-feely person.”

“That’s fine.”

“So where have you been? Why didn’t I see you for weeks?”

“I didn’t know you'd look for me. But, I was just busy doing things here and there.”

“I want to know you better, that’s why I was looking for you. Ah, noona. Do you have a cellphone?”

“Yes. Why?”

“Then can I have your number? In case I don’t see you again. I can reach you through your phone.”

He seemed to be a very nice guy so Dara agreed and they exchanged numbers. Donghae showed her his phone and said, “Your name in mine is little noona!” and laughed cutely.

Dara said, “You’ll probably be taller when you turn 21. So yeah, I guess I’m really that small. Heol~”

“You’re pretty!” He randomly blurted out.

She concluded, “Right. You’re still probably sick.” 

He laughed again then asked, “By the way, how did you know where I live?”

She was caught up with the question so she blushed a little and stuttered, “I… Well… I… It’s a long story.”

“Tell me~ Tell me!” He jumped like a cute kid trying to persuade someone.

“I asked your bullies.”

“What? They know where I live?!”

“No. I asked them to show me one of your classmates.”

“And who did you meet?”

“Her name is Bang Minah.”

He remembered the name and the face of the girl he encountered one time and reacted, “Ohhh… She’s not my classmate. But…” He mumbled, “She knows where I live?”

“Ye. I’m just glad the address she gave was accurate. I came to the right house.”

“Why did you look for my house?”

She got shy and stuttered again to find the right words, “That… Uhh… Because I heard you were always outside our campus. I thought you were there for me so I felt guilty. I wanted… I wanted to make up for it but I didn’t know you’re sick, so.”

“So you took care of me?” He smiled as if he was teasing her.

“Well, it’s not that big of a deal. I… like taking care of people. And you waited for a week. I thought it was a consistent act, so I…”

“Noona!” ,he said loudly as if he had thought of another idea.

“Oh, why?” she replied almost instantly because she was surprised by his unpredictability.

“Let’s go home together next week again, please? If you can’t, can we message or call each other instead?”

“I think a phone conversation would be better since you’re famous. I don’t want people around our campus to make it an issue when we go home together everyday.”

“It’s okay! I’ll be busy too but I’ll call you.”

“We got each other’s number. You can go back inside now and rest. You’re still boiling hot.” ,she said for she felt his body temperature as he hugged her.

“Did you take care of me tonight or was it mom?”

“Doesn’t matter.”

“It matters to me.”

Right about now, she could already tell he was into her. There are no more words needed to further confirm that. The proofs are screaming right at her face already. Looking at him, she felt uneasy like there was a weird sensation happening inside her chest. She replied as she looked away, “Your mom helped me.”

“You guys saw my s?!” He covered his chest through his arms.

She laughed and said, “Ya! I have a little brother too, you know.”

“Speaking of, can I come to your house? I want to meet your family too.”

She thought about it for many seconds before she replied, “I’ll decide... but for now, at least we can call each other.”

“Okay! Works for me! Can I call you after school?”

“Yes.”

“During lunch?”

“What? Lunch break? I think a message would be okay.” ,she replied peevishly.

“Before going to school?”

When he was arranging this set-up between them, she couldn’t help but to think that these are the things couples do. But they were not a couple yet and she didn’t have the guts to ask what’s between them right now. They were not friends nor lovers but their connection was surely moving forward quickly.

She couldn’t be fully into what they have now unless their connection developed into something.
For now, she thought she’d have to tone down how she reacts so she replied coldly as she turned around to walk, “Message only. And you should go back, really! You should be resting and drinking medicine.”

“Okay! Got it!” He turned around as well and said, “Take care on your way home!”

While

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter