Chapter 1

Blurred Lines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Helplessness is the most horrible feelings in the world. It is empty, hollowing, and destructive. One just can’t hopeless as they are cradled into its embrace, unable to break out like an animal in captivity. But perhaps that is what most people are when they are helpless. They are simply waiting for the end to come and yet they do not know when it will happen. It like you can see the glimmer of the light at the end of the tunnel and yet you aren’t moving towards it. You are stuck. And completely under the sufferance of a heavy weight.

Helplessness is a friend of Lisa’s which has been entwined in her life ever since the day she was born.

15 Years ago

The day when Lisa’s family found out that she was an omega was the day when she was introduced to helplessness. The anger of her father and the mournful cries of her mother could be heard as Lisa sat in the doctor’s office in one of the chairs, feet unable to even reach the floor with how little she was. She was unsure what was going on, she just hugged her stuffed cat that her mother had made and gifted her for her birthday close to her chest as she watched her parent’s reactions to the doctor’s report.

“You’re lying. There is no way that she is!” Her father yelled, hist fists clenched as he slammed them on the doctor’s desk, making Lisa jump in fright.

“Please doctor, there must be a mistake! There has to be!” Her mother had tears streaming down her cheeks and she clasped her hands together as she looked pleadingly at the doctor. But the doctor but shook his head and shifted from foot to foot as he glanced at the clipboard which had the report he just made.

“I’m afraid I am not mistaken Mr and Mrs Manoban. Lisa has exhibited all the expected characteristic. She is an omega.”

Omega…

Lisa has heard that word before. But she has never really known what it truly meant. Usually when she hears it, it is when her parents are talking about someone they have met or are seeing for another possible business talk. Alpha and beta are two other words which she usually hears when she hears that omega word, so she guesses that they are connected in some way. But she didn’t realise that it would ever connect to her.

Just what was it? She didn’t know. She was but five years old, turning six in a month. Her parents haven’t really said anything either. She just knew that they had been worried lately. And to be a little bit more precise, she had been worried ever since her last birthday when she received her stuffed cat from her mom.

Her stuffed cat was her favourite toy. Lisa was an only child, and she didn’t really have a lot of toys. Their family house was small and most of the time her mother and father didn’t eat much, Lisa eating mainly on her own while her parents would watch her with tired smiles. She also offered to share but they always shook their head.

“You need to eat a lot so you can help us when you get older, our little firefly.” Her father would say, reaching out and her head gently with a soft smile. Her mother would nod and lift another spoonful of the food which she had prepared.

“That’s right Lisa. You can help us a lot when you are older, so you need to be good and healthy to be able to help us.”

Lisa didn’t quite understand what her parents meant by help but as the loving daughter that she was, she just smiled and nodded happily before accepting the food her mother fed her. She wanted to help her parents. They always worked so hard, her father out most night while her mother always cleaned the house and took care of Lisa while making some small goodies to sell in the neighbourhood.

Her parents tried so hard to care for her and she tried being a good daughter. And when she had gotten the present from her parents, she couldn’t be happier. She cared for it as if it was a little sibling. She adored it. She dressed it up in her own clothes, ‘fed it’ and treated it like a good girl would. And yet her parents suddenly got worried. Her father would ask for the toy and try take it and Lisa all but happily handed it to him and then would go as far to teach him how to hold it properly since it was a ‘baby cat’.

But instead of a smile that she usually got from her father when she played around like that, she was met with a frown. Her father then gave it back and moved to her mother in the kitchen where the two of them began to speak in hushed voice, glancing over at Lisa as the just happily continued to play with her stuffed cat in the living room.

As months went by, her parents seemed to become more worried. Lisa didn’t understand why. She thought maybe it was just grownup things they were going through and she would even ask if there were any ways she can help as she could sense her parents getting upset and nervous about something. But it seemed each time she kept asking, the more upset that they got. Lisa didn’t understand why they were so upset. She didn’t understand anything.

And this morning she was woken up from her little cot by her mother who had a tight smile on her face as she pulled off the blanket off her daughter.

“Come on Lisa, we have to see the doctor today.”

Lisa was confused. She didn’t feel sick at all. Usually when she went to the doctor was when she was sick, but she felt fine. She asked her mom why they were going to the doctor, but her mom smile again as she helped her out of bed.

“We just need to ask the doctor something. You’re just going to do a small test darling. Nothing too scary.”

“Am I going to get a needle?” She asked, her bottom lip suddenly wobbling. She hated needles. She cried last time the doctor gave her a needle. Her arm burnt a lot. Her mom rubbed her back comfortingly.

“Just a little one darling, but I promise that we can get some ice-cream afterwards. How does that sound?”

While she hates needles, ice-cream sounded wonderful as it is not often that she would have it, so she smiled widely at her mother before nodding, turning to go to the bathroom to have her morning bath.

They didn’t own a car, so they had to walk to a bus station and wait for a bus to come. Her mother and father were going with her, and she held her father’s hand tightly while Lisa hugged her stuffed cat in her other arm. She didn’t want to leave it behind because it would get lonely, so it was coming with. Maybe she will even be able to show it the sights as they go to the city to see the doctor.

Lisa loved riding the bus because she got to see so many things and so many different people. She always smiled and waved at the others as she boarded the bus, and this time was no different as she climbed on and followed her father and sat beside him at the window so that she could see out. It was very pretty.

Her parents didn’t really talk much as the bus drove into the city. Even though Lisa tried to point out the various pretty things she saw through the window, they didn’t say anything. They kept glancing at each other, sharing some sort of silent language. Maybe they were whispering so that Lisa wouldn’t hear. Why would they do that though? Bus trips were always fun family trips, and yet they looked so upset again.

When they finally arrived in the city, Lisa took her father’s hand again as they walked through the busy streets. She would randomly greet some strangers as she walked, which then led to her mom quietly scolding her for talking to strangers. She kept walking until they finally came to a big white building. A hospital.

It was very big and clean as they walked into it, and it smelled very clean to Lisa. She could almost see her entire reflection in the white tiles as she followed her parents through it. Everything just looked so big and scary. This was the normal place she went to the doctor. This was much fancier. She wondered just what kind of doctor she was going to see here.

When they entered the doctor’s office, it was a man with dark hair with a white lab coat on who greeted them. He greeted her parents and then smiled kindly at Lisa as he knelt down so that he was at her level.

“And you must young Lalisa.” Lisa nervously stepped behind her father’s leg, hiding from the doctor’s brown eyes.

“Lisa.” She corrected, never liking her full name because usually that meant she was in trouble with one of her parents.

The doctor smiled and repeated her proper name before standing up and began talking to her parents. Lisa didn’t pay much attention as she looked around the office, more interested in all the photos and papers on the walls than what her parents and the doctor were talking about. She was just so innocent then. She jumped when she suddenly heard her name called again.

“Will you please come along with me Lisa?”

The doctor held out his hand to her and Lisa glanced at her parents to see what she must do. They nodded encouragingly and so she reached out and shyly took the doctors hand before letting him lead her away to another room connected to the other room they first walked in. The doctor helped her up onto the small bed which was there and smiled again before he rustled through the cabinet which was in there.

Lisa felt like crying when she saw him pull out a needle, but the doctor was kind and started talking to her and telling her everything will be fine. He was just going to take a little blood before they were going to play a few games. She hated the needle going in her arm, it hurt, and she began to cry. But the doctor quickly put a plaster on it before pulling out a red lollipop for her. He then left Lisa in the room for a few moments before returning, saying that they were going to start the games now.

They were really fun games, and the doctor was really fun to play with. Though he did seem to write a lot of things down as he watched her play some games. Eventually once they had all ended, he took her hand and led her back to the other room where her parents were waiting in chair. The doctor helped her into her own before leaving again.

“Are you alright Lisa?” Her father then asked as they waited for the doctor to return again. Lisa nodded happily.

“Yes! The doctor and I played lots of games! They were fun!”

“That good to hear darling.” Her mother said, smiling warmly at her for a moment before the doctor came in again, this time with a clipboard with a piece of paper. Her parents suddenly straightened themselves up as he walked to his desk and sat down. Lisa didn’t pay any mind as she began to play with her stuffed cat, not realising that the information that was going to change her life was being told that very moment.

“She can’t be an omega! She can’t be!”

Her father was angry, and her mom was sad. Lisa just stared wide eyed as her father began to angrily growl, a deep growl he usually has when he is angry about something. The doctor sighed before showing the clipboard to him.

“She exhibits all characteristics of an omega. She is what she is Mr Manoban and there is nothing you can do to change it.”

“We can’t have an omega! We need a child who can help us! We need her to be something else to help support us!”

“I’m sorry sir but there is no possible way to change one’s dynamic. I’m afraid your daughter is in fact an omega.”

“No…no!”

Her father suddenly swept all the things on the doctor’s desk all onto the floor and Lisa jumped in fear as she began to shake as an intense smell suddenly filled the air, making her curl up into a ball and making her hug her toy even tighter like it was a life-line.

“D-Daddy!”

She wanted the smell to go away. It was very strong and strange. It scared her. Her father then whirled around to look at his young daughter unconsciously submitting to him as his pheromones pierced the air. He growled before he whipped his eyes back to the doctor who was still standing strong, unaffected by the pheromones.

“We can’t have an omega as a daughter.”

“…I’m sorry.”

Her father then stormed out the office and the smell slowly went away, making Lisa relax again. Her mother was still crying in the chair with the doctor looking at her with sad eyes. Why was everyone sad? What was wrong. Lisa slowly got off the chair and walked towards her mother.

“Mommy? What’s wrong?”

Her mother removed her hands from her face and looked at Lisa with red eyes before letting out another sob and shaking her head.

“Oh Lisa…I am so sorry.”

Why was she sorry?

Lisa only learnt later on just why her mother was apologizing and the helplessness within her only grew once she learnt the reason.

When they were returning on the bus ride home, Lisa knew that her parents were more upset than usual. Her mother was still crying, and her father was fuming. Why was h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter