Love VS Friendship

Love VS Friendship

You were in the supermarket doing your grocery run, and you really wanted some snacks. You picked up the other things you needed and headed to the snack aisle.

You saw a sale while turning the corner, and this caused you to bump into someone.

The young man dropped a few things in his hands because he didn’t have a basket.

“I’m so sorry!” You apologized immediately as you bent down to help him pick up his things.

“It’s okay! Sorry as well. Are you alright?” He asked as he bent down as well.

You both stood up and when you looked at him, you were immediately mesmerized by his good looks and his facial features. He was absolutely stunning.
(I personally think Hyunjae is the best looking member of the boyz, he is actually gorgeous XD)

“Thank you for helping me pick up my things!” He smiled.

“No problem.” You replied and went on to find the snacks you wanted.
 

When you went to pay you stepped on something.

It was the young man’s ID card. It must’ve fallen out of his wallet.

When you finished paying for your groceries, you saw him turning the corner outside the store.

You quickly ran after him and called his name.

“Hyunjae!” You called.

He heard and came back around the corner, shocked that you knew his name.

You caught up to him and handed him his ID card.

“You dropped this at the checkout counter.” You said.

“Oh my god, I can’t believe I dropped this!” He said. “Thank you so much!”

You were about to head home.

“Oh looks like we are going in the same direction!” Hyunjae said. “If you’re okay with it, do you want to walk together? It’s dark out now anyway.”

You smiled and accepted his offer.

You and Hyunjae got along very well and it turns out that you guys were the same age with very similar interests.

When you got to an intersection, you said your goodbyes to Hyunjae and headed home.


 

The next day, you were at a bakery buying some lunch.

“Excuse me!” 

You turned around and saw the young man from the supermarket yesterday.

“Hyunjae, right?” You smiled. “How are you?”

“I’m good, thank you.” He replied. “Actually I didn’t get your name yesterday, I’m glad I ran into you here.”

You introduced yourself to him and he thanked you again for picking up his ID card.

“HYUNJAE HYUNG!” 

Another young man entered the bakery. “Where did you run off to?” He asked. “I was so confused when I turned around and you were gone.” He scoffed.

“Sorry.” Hyunjae apologized. “Oh yeah, this is my friend Sunwoo.” He introduced him to you.

“Hello.” You bowed and introduced yourself to him as well.

Sunwoo let out a small smile and bowed as well.

“We are actually going out to eat lunch, did you want to join us?” Hyunjae asked.

You hadn’t purchased your lunch yet, and you were always bad at saying no, so you accepted his offer.

 

Hyunjae took you to a Korean BBQ place, which you loved! 

You guys sat down and your mouth was watering just from looking at the menu.

You guys ordered a heap of food and were ready to cook some meat.

The food had come and the grill was on. The smell of meat was filling the air around you.

During lunch, Hyunjae excused himself to the bathroom, which left you and Sunwoo there together in silence. The whole lunch was more of you and Hyunjae talking, and you didn’t really interact with Sunwoo. Moreover, he was the one who didn’t really talk much.

There was one piece of ox tongue left on the grill, which was your favourite meat, and you went in to grab it. But at the exact same time, Sunwoo went in for it too, causing your chopsticks to clash.

You made eye contact.

You both clasped your chopsticks, catching each other.

“I want this last piece.” You both said in unison.

You glared at each other. But while you were looking at him, Sunwoo quickly grabbed it and put it in his mouth. He shamelessly smirked and you just stared at him in shock.

“You are so shameless! I clearly went for that!” You pouted.

“Well you should’ve been faster. Considering how much you were drooling when we were ordering food.” He sipped his water. “Just don’t be slow next time.”

You just stared at him, shocked because all this time he had been so quiet, and you did not expect such a quiet guy to have such a taunting personality. 

“Pfft.” You scoffed. “That is what a greedy, selfish and a guy with low self esteem would say.” You drank your water.

He got really ticked off and then you guys started to argue. It was more bantering than arguing.

When Hyunjae got back, he was standing there watching the both of you glare at each other and making comments about each other.

In the end, all you did was argue with Sunwoo, and Hyunjae was laughing. “I have never seen Sunwoo get along with someone so well!” He commented.

“HUH!?” Sunwoo exclaimed. “ARE YOU JOKING? THIS IS GETTING ALONG WITH SOMEONE? SHE HAS NO DELICACY I WILL NEVER GET ALONG WITH A WOMAN LIKE THIS.”

“Why do you hang out with a guy that is so rude?” You asked Hyunjae.

You and Sunwoo both glared at each other again as you exited the restaurant.

“Give me your phone.” Hyunjae broke the tension with the sudden tension.

“???” You stared at him confused.
“I want to give you my number, so we can hang out again.” He smiled.

You handed him your phone and he put his number in it.

“Let’s hang out more often!” Hyunjae smiled.

“Sure!” You smiled back. “I had a great time with you Hyunjae.”

Sunwoo scoffed in the back. “Stop pretending to be nice you little satan.”

You took a deep breath in and just ignored him and left.

 

At night, Hyunjae sent you a text asking if you wanted to eat in a few days, to which you agreed to. And during the next few days, you and Hyunjae texted a lot and became really close.


 

You got dressed and headed to the meeting place Hyunjae had told you for lunch today. You spent a while looking at different outfits for the occasion.

Once you were satisfied, you grabbed your bag and headed into the city.

When you got to the meeting place, you saw Sunwoo leaning against a wall on his phone.

You walked up to him and asked “Why are you here?”

He looked at you and said “How rude. I can’t be standing here?”

You rolled your eyes. 

Suddenly, you got a text from Hyunjae saying that he was a bit late, and that you should head to the restaurant first.

“Hyunjae invited me to lunch. That’s why I’m here.” Sunwoo said. “But it looks like he will be late, so let’s go first.” He put away his phone and began heading in the direction of the restaurant.

You followed him, and was lowkey disappointed because you thought it was just you and Hyunjae.

Sunwoo looked at you. “You trying to impress Hyunjae or something? What is with your outfit?” He snickered.

“This is how I usually dress, the last time you saw me was because I had just finished exercising.” You snapped back. “And what are you wearing you hip hop wannabe?”

He tched at you.

While you were walking, you bumped into someone’s shoulder and he spilled a bit of drink onto your arm and dripped onto your dress. 

“OI, WATCH WHERE YOU ARE GOING!” The guy yelled at you.

You were about to speak up but Sunwoo stepped forward and said “look, you bumped into her as well, and you split drink on her dress. So just walk away, and drop it.” Sunwoo gave off a scary aura.

The guy scoffed and walked away.

There was a bit of pain because of the guys arm hitting yours.

Sunwoo lightly touched it. “Are you alright? Does it hurt?” He quickly grabbed a tissue and wiped the liquid off.

His touch was so gentle. You stared at him as he lightly and carefully wiped the drink off your arm.

You were very surprised that he was showing concern for you, yet alone he was so gentle.

“We are close to the restaurant, let’s go and sit down.” He said.

You didn’t even respond because you were just so surprised at his behaviour.

 

You guys got to the restaurant and sat down, and Sunwoo immediately disappeared to the bathroom.

He came back with a warm wet tissue and said “Here, the dress shouldn’t stain. Use this to wipe it off.”

You thanked him and lightly wiped off the drink from your dress. It wasn’t visible, and you could just wash it when you got home.

He stuck out his hand and said “I will throw the rubbish out, give it to me.”

You handed him the tissues, and you were still shocked.

He came back and sat next to you.

“Are you alright? Is your arm still hurting?” He asked.

You just stared at him.

“What?” He asked.

“No, nothing. I’m fine, thank you so much.” You smiled.

Hyunjae arrived and sat down across from us. “I’m so sorry I’m late, is everything alright?”

“Yep.” Sunwoo answered and grabbed the menu.

 

As lunch went on, Sunwoo went back to being his usual, rude, sarcastic, banter self that you were familiar with from the first lunch. You were very confused at his duality.

 

Hyunjae had to go after lunch, which left you and Sunwoo alone again.

“What are you going to do now?” He asked.

You said you had to go home and finish off some work.

He said “I have nothing to do anyway, I will walk you home.”
When you got to your house, Sunwoo handed his phone to you.

“Give me your number.” Sunwoo said. “Just incase… I don’t know, something happens.”

You looked at him. “What is going to happen that I need your number?” You asked.

“FINE!” He took his phone back.

You laughed and grabbed it out of his hands. “Kidding!” And you put in your number.

You said goodbye to Sunwoo and thanked him for today.

“Sorry about your dress.” He said.

“Oh no, it’s fine! I can get it out now when I go inside.” You laughed.

“You look very beautiful in it…” He mumbled to himself.

You didn’t hear what he said and said “Huh? Did you say something?”

“NO, GO INSIDE.” He snapped. And walked away.

 

As Sunwoo walked away, you couldn’t help but smile when you thought about the day you had with him.
 

Over the next few weeks, you went out with Hyunjae for food quite often. And for some reason, Sunwoo always tagged along. Although you two argued a lot even on text, he was so caring and sweet towards you, and you knew deep down Sunwoo was very nice at heart.

 

One night, you invited Hyunjae out to a festival. 

‘Oh! We are actually going to that, but our other friends are coming, are you alright with that?’ He texted.

You were perfectly fine with it, and got ready to go to the festival.

When you arrived, there was a big group of boyz. (The Boyz members)

“Sorry, we have a crowd!” Hyunjae laughed. 

He introduced them all to you, and they all seem like lovely people. Sunwoo was of course there as well.

You headed into the festival, and it was so crowded and full of life. You were so excited.

“What do you want to eat?” Hyunjae asked.

“I love love love sweets, I really want a toffee apple.” You replied. But you looked at the stall for it and the line was crazy long. And with all of Hyunjae’s friends here, you didn’t want to make them wait. “I will get it later, the line is too long, I’m sure--”



 

You were cut off when Sunwoo grabbed your hand and pulled you towards the line for the toffee apple.

“No-- I feel too bad for making--” You began.

Sunwoo again, cut you off and said “you guys can go ahead first and get other food. I will wait with her.”

The other The Boyz members dispersed into the crowd of the festival and you waited in line with Sunwoo.

Hyunjae joined you as well.

You got your toffee apple and you were so happy.

“Why do you want this? Who eats sweets before savoury anyway?” Sunwoo judged.

You glared at him and ignored him. 

 

When it was time to regroup, you got lost in the crowd and lost sight of Hyunjae and Sunwoo. And since there were so many people, your phone had no reception and you couldn’t get in touch with anyone.

You waited in an area with less people, by the bathrooms.

You saw Sunwoo emerge from the crowds and he spotted you.

He immediately ran up to you and asked “are you okay?”

You said “I’m fine. I thought it would be better to wait somewhere that wasn’t crowded.”

“Good.” Sunwoo nodded.

“I have to go to the bathroom though…” You said. Then your hand moved on it’s own and you grabbed Sunwoo’s shirt. “Will you be here when I’m back?” Afraid that you would be by yourself again.

Sunwoo looked into your eyes and gave you the softest smile. (It was so soft and genuine, I can’t even describe.) “I am not going anywhere. Of course I will wait for you.” He said.

You went in and came out. 

Sunwoo grabbed your hand and said “Don’t let go of me, I want to take you somewhere.”

He held your hand tightly, which made you naturally grip it as well.

He took you to a secluded area by a lake.

“What is this?” You asked.

Suddenly fireworks went off, and the lake reflected the many colours of the fireworks, and the lake lit up in beautiful colours.

You stared in awe at the beautiful sight.

Sunwoo then turned you to face him. “I will make sure you never feel scared like that again. Don’t ever worry about me leaving you, I won’t ever do that.” 

You stared into his eyes, but the moment was broken when you got a call from Hyunjae. The reception must have connected.

He was asking if Sunwoo found you, and you guys regrouped with the other members.

Everyone was talking about the fireworks, and Hyunjae asked if you were okay.

You looked at Sunwoo and you had this moment of eye contact. He let out a small smile and went back to talking to his friends.

“I’m very fine.” You answered.
 

Days passed after the festival and Sunwoo had stopped talking to you all together. He didn’t message, he didn’t call and he didn’t ask you to hang out anymore.

You were very confused because at the festival he said all those wonderful things to you.

You asked Hyunjae but Hyunjae said he had no idea what had happened, and that Sunwoo had stopped speaking to him as well.

 

One night, you were heading home, and you noticed a bunch of drunk people following you.

You texted Sunwoo, but of course, no answer. You called him, and no answer. 

You quickly texted Hyunjae, but that was all you could do, because the drunk guys kidnapped you and you weren’t able to call Hyunjae.

Before they could take you anywhere far, Hyunjae and The Boyz showed up and a huge fight broke out.

However, someone had a weapon and you saw he was going to hit Hyunjae from behind. Before he could do that though, you jumped in between him and Hyunjae, and took the blow and fell to the ground. And at that moment, you out.


 

(The next part will be seen from third person perspective)

Sunwoo received the text and call from you, but he didn’t answer. No one knew why he had started ignoring you or Hyunjae. But Hyunjae called saying that you were in trouble, and that they were heading to your location.

Sunwoo immediately ran to where Hyunjae was.

When Sunwoo entered the scene, you were passed out on the floor from just getting hit.

Sunwoo then went on a rampage and joined the fight.

They managed to beat the guys and Hyunjae picked you up. “I’m taking her to the hospital.” And he left just as he gave a look to Sunwoo.

Sunwoo, and the rest of the The Boyz also followed Hyunjae to the hospital, and while you were getting treated, Hyunjae hit Sunwoo in the face.

“WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO YOU? WHY ARE YOU IGNORING BOTH OF US?!” He yelled. “I bet you got her call and text and chose to ignore it! Otherwise you would’ve gotten there when we got there and she wouldn’t be in this situation!”

Sunwoo didn’t respond.

“We have been friends for so many years, I can’t believe you can’t just be honest with me.” Hyunjae said in disappointment.

Sunwoo then revealed the truth behind his actions.

 

After the night of the festival, Sunwoo was very very happy. But on their way back home, Hyunjae was speaking to the other members about how he liked you. 

Hyunjae had taken interest from you since the first lunch because of your bright and kind personality, and he felt that you were someone special. 

However, he was a bit upset because you very obviously got along better with Sunwoo due to your bantering personalities, and it made Hyunjae sad that you didn’t like him back.

Upon hearing this, Sunwoo went home and felt lost.

He also liked you. But Hyunjae was his best friend. And he was feeling trapped because he wanted you for himself, but he didn’t want to be the cause of Hyunjae’s sadness. This would mean he would have to let you go.

Sunwoo made his decision to let Hyunjae be with you instead.

He distanced himself from both you and Hyunjae, because Sunwoo realized that he was getting in the way all the time by attending all the lunches and dinners that were planned. 

He was so caught up in his feelings for you that he didn’t realize he was getting in the way, and that is why Sunwoo stopped messaging both of you.
 

“I’m sorry… Hyung….” Sunwoo looked to the floor. “I didn’t have any bad intentions. But I didn’t know what to do, because I had to choose between my best friend and the person I love. And I was afraid that it would ruin our friendship if we had to fight over the same girl. I couldn’t risk that. So that is why I decided to let her go.”

Hyunjae looked at Sunwoo.

“Sunwoo…” He put his hand on Sunwoo’s shoulder. “No matter what happens, nothing will ever break our friendship. You are one of the most important people to me, and I don’t want you, or her to be in this state.” 

“But hyung…” He began.

“You have nothing to be sorry for.” Hyunjae cut Sunwoo off. “I want you to be happy, and if being with her makes you happy, then that makes me happy.” He smiled. “We will always be brothers.”


 

When you woke up, you were in hospital with minor scrape injuries to your face and arms, and a big bruise on your back from the attack.

You were surprised to see someone by your bedside. 

“Sunwoo…” You stuttered. 

As soon as you saw that he was standing in front of you, you began to cry. “You said you would never leave me alone…” You choked on your tears.

He bent down and held your hand. “I know, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

“I was in trouble-- and then I tried to contact you-- but you didn’t come--” You sobbed. “Even though you said-- at the festival…”

He put your hand on his face. “I know, I’m sorry. I didn’t want to.” Sunwoo began to shed tears as well.

You didn’t even question why he was ignoring you. Your tears were filled with sadness, and also happiness that he was here by your side again.

“I promise to not let you go again, no matter what happens, and I will live my life trying to get your forgiveness for what I just did and I hope that you will give me a chance to give you my everything and show how much you mean to me.” Sunwoo kissed your hand softly.
 

Hyunjae peaked through the window of the room and smiled, before leaving the hospital.

 

-THE END-