We're Burning Through The Sky

We're Burning Through The Sky

Whenever he wasn’t writing his thesis, Jongdae loved to collect vinyls, as they always filled his heart with an inexplicable, yet fond nostalgia for times and places he’d never been to.  Perhaps he was just an old soul. 

On one late afternoon, when the sun was close to setting, Jongdae was just about to give up his vinyl hunt after searching through practically every vinyl record store in Itaewon.  Itaewon was the only place he hadn’t yet visited while on break, which was why it was at the top of his list of places to visit during the holidays.

After having bought Queen II, all he needed was to find Queen’s debut album to complete his collection of Queen’s entire discography.  The only issue was that their first album was becoming more difficult to come across nowadays, and in all the outlets he had checked out in Itaewon, none of them had what he wanted. 

Jongdae began to wonder whether his pursuit for his much-desired item was really worth the hassle.  He’d been saving up for it, and it would be such a shame if he didn’t get to fill in the empty spot in his Queen collection.  The logical voice in his head told him that he could always order it online, but that came with additional delivery charges, and vinyls were expensive enough.  Also, it would just never match the experience of walking into a vinyl record store and sifting through countless memorabilia of the past.

Yep, he was definitely an old soul. 

He was just about to call it a day when he found himself situated at an alley that he hadn’t seen before.  The alley was empty, and there were a few stores situated along it.  Curiosity prompted him to venture further down the alleyway, where he found there was a ramen joint opposing a small vinyl store. 

Most retail stores were normally shut at around this time, but this vinyl store was still open, and something about the vibes emanating from its storefront beckoned Jongdae to come closer.  In black cursive lettering against a yellow backdrop, the store’s name read: ‘Sing For You Records’.

A warm and inviting atmosphere welcomed Jongdae as he entered.  Most of the other vinyl stores he’d visited had a rather modern and sleek interior, and while he wouldn’t say he disliked them, he didn’t really vibe with those places all the time.  Here, in this humble and quaint store, where faded posters hung on wooden walls, Jongdae felt perfectly at home.

Much like other stores, the vinyls here were organised in a similar fashion: there were sections for classical music, music from the early 20th century through to the 60s, classic rock, retro pop, film soundtracks, as well as other stuff that was more popular today.  Of course, Jongdae went straight to the classic rock section as soon as he saw it.  The vinyls were also arranged in alphabetical order, so he sought out the records under ‘Q’. 

After a few moments of filing through the records, his eyes widened when he finally found what he was looking for, and he pulled it out.  He stared at the record in his hands, trying to make sure it was actually real.  After searching high and low, he was holding Queen’s debut album, at last.  A sigh of happiness and relief fell from his lips, and he grinned.  It almost felt too good to be true.

Now he could finally fill in the gap in his vinyl collection, and his heart.

Basking in his glee, he almost didn’t hear the footsteps approaching until a voice spoke: “That one’s my Dad’s favourite.”

Jongdae turned around, and the opening lines of Bohemian Rhapsody started playing in his head.  He was faced with the most gorgeous man he had ever seen.  A pair of brown orbs stared back at him; and small yet plump pink lips were curved into a soft smile.  Loose, brown locks of hair hung around his face and neck; and he sported a leather jacket, jeans and t-shirt, which Jongdae could tell hid a sturdy figure. 

Now this day was getting way too good to be true. 

Is this the real life, or is this just fantasy?

Too mesmerised by the man’s beauty, Jongdae nearly forgot about the vinyl in his hands, and the fact that the man had just addressed him.

“I’ve been looking everywhere for this copy,” he replied, when he remembered how to speak.  “It’s so rare these days.”

“Yes, it is – and you’re lucky you found it here, because if you tried to get it elsewhere, you’d be blowing your wallet.” chimed the man, who lightly wiggled his eyebrows and smirked.  It did things to Jongdae’s heart that didn’t feel good for his health.

“Hmm, I guess you’re right,” agreed Jongdae.  He refrained from saying also, I wouldn’t have run into a drop-dead gorgeous man like you.

Then out of curiosity, he asked, “Are you the storeowner?”

“Ahaha, not really,” chuckled the man, his laughter light and melodic.  “This is actually my Dad’s store, but age is getting to him and he’s not well, so I’ve been helping out here a lot more these days.  We don’t get a lot of visitors, and times have been a bit tough lately.  You’re the first one we’ve had in a while, which was why I was quite excited when you came in.”  His smile widened so that his cheeks bunched up, almost like a chipmunk, and it was all Jongdae could do to not coo at how adorable it looked. 

Then the storeowner narrowed his eyes at him.  “You don’t look like you’re from around here.  What else brings you here, apart from that album?”

“Well, I’ve always wanted to come to Itaewon for the holidays – there’s great music and culture here.  I’ve visited every other vinyl store around here and none of them had Queen’s debut album.  Yours is the only one that’s still open which I hadn’t checked yet.”  Suddenly feeling bolder, he added, “But after meeting you, I think I’ve found another reason to come here.”

At that, the storeowner burst out into hearty laughter, and it was a sight to behold.  “Hahaha… I’m also very glad to see a cute guy like you walk into our store,” he then nodded at the album in Jongdae’s hands, “who also has impeccable taste!”  He wore a satisfied grin.  Jongdae could feel his cheeks burn under the storeowner’s attention. 

How am I going to survive this dude? he thought.

He forgot how to speak again, but luckily the storeowner spoke first.

“My name’s Minseok, by the way.” he introduced himself, holding out his hand for Jongdae to shake.

“Jongdae,” he replied, shaking the hand given to him.  The grip felt firm and strong.  “Nice to meet you, Minseok.”

“Nice to meet you too, Jongdae.  And before you ask – I’m 30, so if you’re younger than me, I’m your Hyung.”

Jongdae’s jaw dropped.  “Wait – really?  You don’t look older.” he gasped.

“Haha, yeah, I get that often.” chuckled Minseok.  Then he looked back at Queen’s debut and sighed.

“Queen’s first album really deserved better than what people gave it back then.”

“I know, right?” agreed Jongdae.  “It’s criminally underrated; most people have never even of any of the songs on the album, which is just sad.”

“Well, Freddie Mercurie did once compare his songs to razors that are only meant to be consumed and discarded, so I guess it’s not a huge surprise.” Minseok shrugged.

“Yeah, that is true.” sighed Jongdae.  “But come on, it’s Queen, for God’s sake.  You can’t deny the fact that they’re legends.  They’re immortal.”

“I’m not denying it; of course it’s indisputable.  But such is the truth about how most people consume music in general.” Minseok then started gazing around his store, his stare becoming sentimental.  “Not for my family and I though.  For my Dad, music is his life, and so it was for his parents and theirs.  Generations have kept this place running, and my Dad has put nearly his whole life into it.  His passion got passed on to me, and it would be really sad if all this were to go.”  His gaze turned downwards.

Jongdae could sympathise with Minseok.  He knew what it was like to not have his hobby taken seriously, or to be made to feel as if it wasn’t worth it. 

“I totally get how you feel,” he replied.  “And I would really hope for this store to keep opening because I would love to come back here again.”

“Why, thank you!  I would love for you to come back here, too.” Minseok smiled and winked, and it made Jongdae’s heart skip a beat. 

“So, apart from Queen, what other musicians are you into?” asked Minseok.

“Well, I also like listening to Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin.” said Jongdae.

“Wait – Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin?  I like them too!” exclaimed Minseok, whose whole face lit up in excitement.  It was a sight that Jongdae wanted to commit to memory.

“What about AC/DC?  Do you like them?”

“AC/DC?” The mere mention of the band had Jongdae’s eyes widening out of their sockets.  “Are you kidding?  I freaking love them!”

“Wow, I believe I just found my musical soulmate!” remarked Minseok, whose grin was wider than ever.

“And I’ve just found mine.” agreed Jongdae.  Just like Freddie in Don’t Stop Me Now, he was definitely having a good time.

“Tell me, what’s your phone number?” Minseok asked.

Jongdae had never been more eager to tell a stranger his phone number than he did now. 

“Thanks!” said Minseok after he added Jongdae’s number to his phone.  Minseok then told him his own number which Jongdae promptly added to his own phone. 

“Let’s talk later when we have time; if you want to chat, just text me and let me know, okay?” Minseok said, after Jongdae had paid for his vinyl record.

“Absolutely I will.” Jongdae promised.  “Thanks for everything!”

“Glad to be at your service.” replied Minseok, who gave a salute and another one of his heart-stopping smirks.

They waved their goodbyes and Jongdae walked out of the store, feeling over the moon to not only have bought his much desired item – but to have met a dashingly handsome man with flowy brown hair and a leather jacket, who also loved the same music as he did.  On top of all that, he had gotten the gorgeous guy’s number.  He would definitely come back here to discover more music – and to spend more time in the cute rock aficionado’s company. 


Tbh I have never actually listened to Queen's first album myself 💀💀 (sorry Freddie 😅) But I still love their songs and think they're amazing. Funny, it's only recently I found out that September is also Freddie's birth month 😮 so I guess we can celebrate two talented Virgos! 🎉🎊🥳 Happy Birthday to Kim Jongdae, who is always blessing the world with his shining smile, warm heart and god-sent vocals. Freddie, you'll forever be legendary. Hope you guys enjoyed this fic, upvotes and comments would be much appreciated. Stay safe and healthy, everyone. Cheers <3