Latte Seulrene

Inamorata

 

 

This year, perhaps, is the busiest year for Red Velvet. 

 

Their company has already decided on the dates for each member's solo debut. Some of the dates will overlap with another member's solo schedule. They would be busy with their solo albums, acting debuts, drama shootings, hosting, and more. A lot of activities have been planned for the band since last year. Each member shows enthusiasm about it. They could not wait to support each other's solo activities, as well as their group comeback. 

 

But as for Seulgi and Joohyun, this year is extra special as it marks a decade and two - of being together as best friends. They trained together, and they've seen other colleagues give up and lose hope because of the company's system. They have seen each other's best and worst days. Seulgi and Joohyun are inseparable. Both of them have realized that what they have with each other is more than just adoration, attraction, and love as friends. 

 

Mr. Lee Sooman, their teacher and mentor was the first person to see their chemistry. They make a great team. A combination of two talented dancers, vocalists, and visuals. It was right then and there when the teacher decided that they will debut together in a group, and will soon form a sub-unit. The two of them. Their chemistry is just undeniable. And that's exactly what happened. 

 

In their group's sixth year, their company announced that the two members of Red Velvet - Irene and Seulgi - will debut as a subunit with a concept very different from their group's. It was an announcement that surprised the fans. It came out of nowhere. Although, for a moment, some of them believed that the pair will be announcing their relationship - in public. The fans are hopeful of these two's relationship. They make a good pair, but the two haven't even made it official, yet. 

 

"Can I come in?" Seulgi smiles at Joy who was standing by the door, waiting for her approval to enter the room. 

 

"Are you done packing?" she asked, eyes still on the clothes she are organizing. 

 

"Yeah, I just had everything sorted out." Joy grins. "You look like you're still undecided on which clothes to bring?" 

 

"I want to look good. Even if this is not an overseas trip, this is still the first time in a while that we will have a vacation as a group so.." 

 

"Just tell me that you are planning to surprise Joohyun unnie that's why you're packing pretty clothes." they both chuckled. "The green round-neck shirt looks okay. You can partner it with your black coat." 

 

"Ahh.. as expected of the Park Sooyoung. I knew you would pick this." Seulgi said as she put the last set of clothes in her luggage. "All done!" 

 

"Oppa's manager will come and pick Haetnim up. So I'll just catch up at the airport." Joy rolls her eyes at Seulgi's grinning face. "Stop it. Stop teasing me or I'll tell Joohyun unnie that you are planning to make it official with her during this trip." 

 

The smile from the latter's face quickly faded. "I'm just kidding, Sooyoung. You know I am genuinely happy for you. We all are.." 

 

"I know that, no need to repeat that again." 

 

"Joohyun-unnie said we're leaving!!" they both laughed as they heard the youngest member's voice, excitement is evident from it. "Seulgi, we're going to be late for our flight!!!"

 

"I'm coming!!" 

 

"See you in Jeju, then." 

 

 

Today, the members will be flying to Jeju to support Wendy's photoshoot for her solo album. They also wanted to take this time to have a short vacation just before their schedule gets even busier. 

 

Irene, Seulgi, Wendy, and Yeri will fly economy for this trip. They did not want to garner attention from the fans and the media, so they decided to not bring their personal bodyguards and managers. The company allowed them to fly with only two managers, with Wendy's team arriving at Jeju hours before the girls' flight. Meanwhile, Joy will ride the next flight as she has other things to do with the person she is currently dating. 

 

"You look good today.." 

 

"Only today?" the older woman asks. 

 

"Every day." 

 

The two went silent. Joohyun just couldn't say anything else after hearing that compliment from Seulgi which obviously made her feel giddy. These little things, simple compliments from her best friend have always brought butterflies to her stomach. And even when they have been together for a long time, she must admit that Seulgi still has that effect on her. 

 

"You're blushing." 

 

"No, I'm not." Joohyun tries to hide her reddish face but fails. 

 

"Yes, you are!" Seulgi chuckles. "Are you that flustered with what I just said?" 

 

"Huh?" 

 

Every time she's caught off guard because of Seulgi's simple compliments and gestures, she tries her best to hide her reactions. There wasn't even a chance where she successfully hid her smile and blushing face. 

 

"You two. Stop making yourselves obvious." they stopped smiling at each other when they heard Wendy's voice. "There. You'll fill this plane with honeybees if you keep doing that." 

 

Although an aisle separates Wendy and Yeri from the older members, Joohyun still managed to give them a death glare which they returned with a laugh. 

 

 

The group arrived at the airport an hour later. They were picked up by a van their company rented for them. Thankfully, no one recognized them. Their only wish is that no paparazzi followed them during this trip. 

 

"Remind me of the room arrangements again?" Yeri asked while they are traveling to the hotel they will be staying at. 

 

"Joohyun and Seulgi will stay in the same room, like usual. You will be roomies with Joy while I have a separate room." Wendy answered, her eyes still on the road, enjoying the scenery. 

 

"I don't get why I have to share the room with Joy, again. Can't I stay with you instead, Wendy?" 

 

"You'll have to deal with Sooyoung for the rest of our lives, Yerim. You can't escape that reality." the three laughed as the youngest made face. 

 

"Exactly. Wendy, this is supposed to be your job!" 

 

"Yeri.." 

 

Joohyun just ended up throwing another glare at the youngest. Sometimes, Yeri just can't stop herself from saying things she doesn't mean to say. 

 

Seulgi coughed. "We're here!!" 

 

Irene glanced at Wendy who just gave her a small smile. Wendy, who is the most energetic member of the group is going through a very difficult phase of her life. Her solo debut preparations, her therapy sessions, her unrequited love for her member...

 

"I'm fine, Joohyun." she reassures her leader with another smile. 

 

She knew it wasn't enough, but Wendy was quick to exit the van that Joohyun didn't even have the chance to apologize on behalf of Yerim's small mistake. 

 

All four of them decided to have dinner together in a local restaurant. Yerim apologized to Wendy, too. She knew it was wrong to mention that in front of a friend who is still in the process of 'moving on'. Wendy just shrugged it off and responded with her famous, 

 

"I'm fine." statement. 

 

"Oh, is there somewhere else you want to go to? I'm afraid that I have to return to the hotel earlier." Wendy said after wiping the side of her lips with a tissue. 

 

"I'm sleepy. I just got back from my schedule, as well. Maybe I'll go back to the hotel with you, Wendy." she nodded. 

 

"How about you two?" 

 

Joohyun stole a glance at Seulgi, waiting for her suggestion. She's free, and she wants to spend some time with Seulgi but is waiting for her to make the suggestion. She would not want to force Seulgi to go out if she's tired or has other things she wants to do. 

 

"I want to roam around.. if Joohyun is okay with it?" 

 

A small smile formed on Joohyun's lips. Again, she tried finding her emotion but how can she - when the person who is in front of her is really making her genuinely happy? 

 

"Of course. Whatever that is.. as long as I am with you.." the last word was almost like a whisper. Seulgi was caught off-guard. This is the first time Joohyun did that, with their members around. 

 

Joohyun and Seulgi have been more showy, even in front of the fans during their promotion as a subunit. Some would think that it was only for the sake of their album, a marketing strategy, and an act of fan service. But it was far from that. These two best friends treated the I&S debut as the starting point of their relationship. They grew even fonder of each other because of it, they were braver and bolder when it comes to showing their affection to each other. 

 

"Is this our cue to leave?" 

 

Joohyun and Seulgi both looked at the person beside them, then laughed together. 

 

"You two are so in sync! Even when you laugh!" Their table was filled with another set of laughter. "Joy just texted that she's already in the hotel. She's not hungry and is sleepy. So, should we head back?" 

 

"We should. I would not want to witness these two being all sweet and cheesy!" 

 

"Stop teasing us, Seungwan." Seulgi said, still laughing. 

 

"Whatever, Kang." 

 

The two were finally left together. They just sat there, and remained silent, before laughing at each other, again. It's funny how they already know each other's mood, or what they want to say, just by their gestures and reactions. 

 

"It's already raining," Joohyun said in her soft voice.

 

"Are you cold?" she shook her head. "Don't worry, even if it's raining, I have an umbrella with me." 

 

"Since when did you become this responsible, Kang Seulgi?" the older asked while smiling in disbelief. 

 

"Oh well. Let's just say that I came here, prepared.." 

 

They exited the restaurant, holding hands, trying to fit themselves with the small umbrella Seulgi brought. 

 

Seulgi, being the taller sister that she is, sneakily wrapped her arms around Joohyun's waist, pulling the woman closer to her. Of course, she was surprised. 

 

"You'll get wet so.." Seulgi shrugged. 

 

The rain just made the air even colder. Seulgi searched for a local coffee shop, she found the perfect place but it was a bit far from where they were staying. But she knows that it is a place her unnie would really like. Her sentimental and appreciative unnie. She's not really good at directions - well, both of them are. Prior to the trip, Seulgi already planned and studied everything as she wants a day when she and Joohyun can hang out with just the two of them. 

 

"Thank you." they smiled at each other. 

 

Seulgi never fails to open the door for her best friend, everywhere they go. 

 

She chose a local cafe by the seaside. The warm and cozy setup of the shop made the atmosphere even more intimate. The two, once again, went silent and just stared at each other. Sometimes, this is enough for them. 

 

"Actually.." 

 

"Hmm?" 

 

"I really. came here prepared. I even made an itinerary for the two of us." 

 

Joohyun chuckled. "And why is that?" 

 

"Because I want to spend time with you? Treat this as our celebratory trip for the unit's success." 

 

"We already celebrated that, remember?"

 

"Yeah." Seulgi hissed. "But there was a show involved with that. This time, it's really just us two." 

 

Joohyun knew that Seulgi is trying to set the mood for an important topic they need to talk about. She has always been so sure about her feelings for Seulgi, they both are. But she chose to move along Seulgi's pace. Joohyun will always be ready to take their relationship to the next level, as long as Seulgi wants it. 

 

"Also, I want to talk about.." Seulgi gulped. "Us." 

 

She wasn't surprised. Joohyun knew that there would really come a day when they will have to talk about their relationship. She has been waiting for this and it's finally happening. 

 

"Us?" she asked 

 

Seulgi nodded. "Hyun, I'm done running away. I'm done being a coward. I'm done being afraid." 

 

It was enough. 

 

Those words were enough for Joohyun to understand that finally, after years of waiting for each other, after years of holding back, Seulgi has made a decision to take this to the next level. 

 

"I know that you have been waiting until I'm ready. I thank you for that." she smiled. "The long wait is over, Hyun.." 

 

 

Joohyun couldn't hide her emotions well. Slowly, tears started falling from her eyes. And no, she is not afraid, she is not hurt. Irene is just merely happy that her dream is now turning into reality. 

 

 

"So I'm.." Joohyun couldn't form the right words. Although she has been preparing herself for this, she is still in a state of shock. 

 

"Hmm?" Seulgi genuinely smiled. "You're my girlfriend now. You're all mine." 

 

"All yours, baby." 

 

Joohyun did not want to delay it. They have been holding back for so long. They have been in the 'courting' stage for years and finally decided to take a step forward today. 

 

"You are making me blush again." 

 

Seulgi giggled. "Only I can make you feel that way." 

 

The two remained in position for a while, not taking their eyes away from each other as the server puts their coffee on the table. Irene quickly got a hold of the mug once it was served, not minding how hot the drink is. 

 

"You hurt yourself?" 

 

"Yeah, I forgot it's hot." then they both laughed. 

 

"Don't panic, Hyun. Nothing changed between the two of us. Just the status, I guess?"

 

"We're official, now," she says in disbelief.

 

"Yes, we are." 

 

Joohyun leaned backward, admiring the cafe, and how much comfort and peace it brings to her. Meanwhile, Seulgi holds her phone and prepared the camera. They love taking each other's pictures, yes. 

 

"Hyun?" 

 

"Yes?" she responded, her eyes looking on Seulgi's through the lens of the camera, 

 

"I love you." 

 

There is no need for the camera's flash as Joohyun gave out the sweetest smile. Who can make Joohyun smile like that? 

 

Seulgi. Only Seulgi. 

 

"Pretty." 

 

"Heh." 

 

And just like that, another photo has been added to their album which they cannot wait to share with their fans. 

 

 

 

The members woke up early and joined Wendy for breakfast. She will be having her jacket photoshoot today and the members are planning to join her and show their support from the sidelines. 

 

 

"They said that I will be filming my music video here, as well." it was Joy who seems uninterested while sharing that information with her members. 

 

"At least we're not getting the word kwangya in our songs." 

 

They all laughed. 

 

"Just so you wait. It will be part of our song's lyrics sooner or later." 

 

"In the rap part, for sure." Sooyoung hissed. 

 

"I am willing to give up more lines for Joohyun if that's the case." 

 

The recent 'trend' and concept of their company is not really fancy, at least for them. They have been debating on whether their solo songs or comeback songs will have the word kwangya in them as other groups released songs with the said word in the lyrics. Red Velvet is not fond of it and they have been vocal about this with the company. They just wish that the company listens to their opinion, at least once. 

 

"Okay so.. I have noticed something." Wendy starts. 

 

"About what?" 

 

"You two." Wendy points her finger at Seulgi and Joohyun, with the two just laughing it off. "Ehh.. you are smiling differently today than yesterday. What happened?" 

 

"Right!" Yerim exclaims, earning a glare from her members. "Oops, sorry." 

 

"You don't want to be this loud, Kim Yerim." 

 

She shows the peace sign. "Something happened between you two last night huh?" 

 

"Kim Yerim!" Joohyun's eyes grew wide, with her face blushing again. 

 

"What?" the other members sighed. 

 

Sometimes, their youngest is just too... playful. 

 

"Nothing happened," Irene said. "but we made it official yesterday."

 

"That's what happened." Seulgi flashes a smile among her members who are all still in a state of shock. 

 

"Finally!" 

 

The two just laughed as it is evident on their members' faces that they could not believe the news, and they could not hide the excitement for the couple. However, this small celebration was interrupted when their manager joined the table to inform them that the members would not be allowed to join Wendy at the site because of the inclement weather. 

 

Although a bit disappointed, they had no choice but to follow the manager's suggestion. Joy and Yeri said that they will look around the hotel while the couple decided to visit the beach nearby. They agreed to meet with their two members for lunchtime and see if they could already visit Seungwan by then. 

 

"You take excellent pictures of me." 

 

Joohyun could not help but stare at the pictures they took earlier. They were seating quietly on the sand, with Joohyun's head leaning on her girlfriend's shoulder. 

 

"We take good pictures of each other." 

 

"That's true.." 

 

Sometimes, they really don't know which word to say after a fluttering statement from the other. And that's fine. They like the silence and the way it's complimenting the atmosphere brought by the breeze. 

 

"I am the happiest when I am with you." 

 

Joohyun stares at her partner lovingly. She has always been a cheerful person. She has a beautiful smile. But you can see how different her smile is when she is with Seulgi. She shines like the brightest star even with just small gestures from Seulgi. 

 

Bae Joohyun could not deny to herself that she is overly in love with her best friend, Kang Seulgi. 

 

"You make me the happiest too, Hyun." 

 

And just like that, Seulgi realized that this person beside her is someone she knows she will never let go. Joohyun, her inamorata, makes her life complete. She could not ask for more. She brought not just happiness, but contentment in her life.