AM 01

After Moon

Like the sun and moon in the sky

Although we can't meet, like them

You and I, you and I, you and I

Don't forget that we'll be together, after dark

If you look at the sky

Like that moon in the daytime

You and I you and I you and I

I will always be by your side

 

**********

 

Wendy unconsciously swirls the glass in her hands as she leans against the balcony railings, gaze focused straight ahead as she breathes in the chilly night air. Eunji's party is still in full swing, and all of her friends are currently inside the house partying like there's no tomorrow.

 

As a self-proclaimed homebody, the party eventually became too exhausting and suffocating to Wendy even though she hasn't seen her friends in a while, so she decided to escape to Eunji's room balcony for a breather and some much-needed alone time.

 

It's a starless night, and Wendy is quite disappointed because she would have loved to stargaze right then. With nothing else to do, she figures that she should just head home to sneak in some more sleep before she goes to meet her parents the next morning.

 

Downing the rest of her drink in one gulp – she slightly winces when the wine lightly burns as it goes down – she's about to head back inside when the sight of another person in the vicinity makes her freeze on her spot.

 

There, standing on the threshold of Eunji's room, is Joy in her black, knee-length dress and matching black heels looking as beautiful as the day Wendy had first laid eyes on her. The younger girl is leaning against the doorframe, her arms crossed over her chest as she looks at Wendy with slightly hooded eyes.

 

Even with only the moon as their source of light, Wendy could see the faint blush dusting across Joy's cheeks with how fair the girl's skin is. It's obvious that the other girl has had a drink or two, maybe even more. She’s just not sure if she's had one too many for her own good.

 

They spend a while just standing there, staring right into each other's eyes. Wendy's the first to tear her gaze away, Joy's eyes too dark and too intense in their stare that she felt like the latter is peering right into her very soul.

 

She instead stares at the girl’s features, from how her lips are painted a bloody red – and how Wendy finds herself wanting to kiss them so bad – to her flushed cheeks and how her chest is rising and falling a bit raggedly.

 

Joy pushes off the door frame after a while, walking towards Wendy and swaying on her feet every now and then. It takes her only a couple of steps before there's barely a foot of distance between them.

 

Knowing Joy, and knowing how the younger girl could be when she's had a drink, Wendy's heart begins to race in her chest in anticipation of what she's about to do.

 

They're so close that Wendy has to hold Joy's waist just so the latter wouldn't come any closer. It wouldn't do her poor heart any good to have the other girl so close to her. She just might end up doing something that may jeopardize their friendship otherwise.

 

"Hey you," Joy says, her warm breath fanning across Wendy's face with how close they are.

 

Her breath smells of mint with a hint of alcohol, and Wendy finds herself immediately intoxicated. Who is she kidding? Everything about the other girl becomes intoxicating to her as soon as they get close enough to touch.

 

"Hey back," Wendy breathes out, her heart fluttering once more when Joy wraps her arms around her neck.

 

"I've been looking for you for a while now. What are you doing out here on your own?" the other asks, her fingers starting to play with her hair.

 

Wendy closes her eyes, the feel of Joy's fingers running through her hair sending shivers down her spine. She takes a deep breath, more so to calm her rapidly-beating heart than actual shortage of breath, before shrugging her shoulders in response to the question.

 

"It's too . . . loud down there. I felt so suffocated that I needed to take a breather."

 

Joy hums at that, her hands sliding down to cup Wendy's neck, her thumbs gently massaging the area behind her ear and the latter's knees practically turning into jelly at the feeling.

 

"Whatever happened to the old Seungwan, hmm? You used to be so enthusiastic and lively at these events. You used to be the life of the party. Has your age finally caught up with you?" Joy asks with a teasing laugh, prompting Wendy to frown in response.

 

The younger girl shakes her head though, leaning forward to rest her forehead on the latter’s shoulder. Wendy closes her eyes to savor the feeling of having the other so close against her. Joy can be quite moody at times, so it's very rare for her to be this affectionate and clingy.

 

"Doesn't matter if you're getting old though, I still love you the same. That being said, do you want to go home now?" Joy asks sweetly, and it takes all of Wendy's remaining self-control to not just grab her by the dress and pull her in to kiss her senseless.

 

She just nods her head weakly instead, finding it difficult to breathe, let alone speak.

 

When Joy pulls back from their embrace, Wendy finally opens her eyes and she sees Joy staring at her, this time with that signature adoring look in her eyes. She couldn't count with both hands and feet the number of times she wished that that look was reserved for her and her alone.

 

Oh how she'd give anything to have Joy look at her like that everytime.

 

Sometimes, Wendy would find herself wishing for Joy to stop looking at everyone like she's in love with them. That way, it wouldn't hurt as much as it does right now.

 

"Let's get you home then," Joy says with a smile, finally breaking their embrace and Wendy misses her proximity right away.

 

It must have shown on her face, and Joy must have noticed, because she quickly leans in to plant a soft kiss on Wendy's forehead that takes the older girl’s breath away.

 

Wendy feels her heart skip a beat at that, and she could only stare dumbly at the back of Joy's head as the younger girl pulls her back into the house, looking for their friends to tell them that they'd be heading home because Wendy's not exactly feeling like partying any longer.

 

She sees Eunji send her a look, but she just shakes her head and sends a pleading one back. The other girl’s shoulders slump in defeat and she just shrugs as she goes to sit beside a very intoxicated Bomi on the couch.

 

Wendy sends a grateful smile at the older girl for understanding.

 

They take a cab back to the apartment they share, which is just a couple blocks away from the daycare where Joy works at.

 

She holds Wendy's hand inside the car, her head resting on the shorter girl’s shoulder as she hummed their song softly under her breath, just loud enough so that only the two of them could hear.

 

It makes Wendy's heart flutter once more, and she finds herself wishing for things to never change between them even if the years pass by.

 

**********

 

It's Wendy's first day of senior year at her new highschool and she can't get the anxious feeling in her gut to go away as she gets herself ready that morning.

 

Her parents seem to be excited for her, and even her sister has given her an encouraging pat on the shoulder on their way down to the kitchen earlier, but Wendy still couldn't help but feel nervous about her upcoming day.

 

What if nobody liked her at her new school? What if nobody wanted to be her friend?

 

Granted, she's never been really good at making good first impressions since she was a small kid. She was always the awkward, overtly-shy kid, and that's why she's never had that many friends growing up. But still, it doesn’t hurt to be liked, okay?

 

"Have fun at school today honey," her mother tells her as Wendy gets ready to get off the car.

 

She turns around to face her mother who's smiling widely at her. "Daddy's gonna be busy the whole day at the hospital so I'm gonna be the one to pick you up later, yeah?"

 

Wendy nods her head and forces herself to smile, leaning over the console to kiss her mother on the cheek quickly. She then gets out of the car and with one last wave to her mother, who rolled the car window down, she turns around and walks towards the gate of her new school with heavy steps.

 

It seems though, that Wendy's fears are unfounded for she's had quite an eventful start to her morning. She's managed to befriend a cute and funny girl in her class named Yoon Bomi, who apparently loves to dance and play games and sleep a lot.

 

Wendy finds that she likes Bomi as a friend. Bomi is kind, and she's sweet, and she's very, very charming. She's also fun to talk to because she never runs out of stories to tell.

 

It's no wonder that the majority of the guys in their class are already smitten with her on the first day of school.

 

When lunch time rolls around, Bomi pulls Wendy with her so she can introduce her to her best friends.

 

The other girl’s lips break out into a huge grin as soon as they step foot in the cafeteria, and Wendy almost loses her balance when the Bomi drags her without a word towards a table for four occupied by a single girl.

 

The girl smiles widely once she sees Bomi, and Wendy kind of gapes at her because the girl is very, very pretty. She's easily one of the prettiest faces Wendy has ever seen and she has a smile that just makes people turn and stare.

 

Bomi unceremoniously plops down on the chair across the pretty girl's, breaking Wendy from her daze when she pulls the latter to sit down beside her.

 

Pretty girl then turns her gaze towards Wendy and flashes her a very pretty, very warm and welcoming smile which makes the latter’s cheeks color and her hands sweat.

 

"I assume you're Bomi’s new friend? I'm Jung Eunji," pretty girl introduces with that pretty smile that makes Wendy blush even more.

 

With clammy hands, she reaches for the one Eunji's offering her and shakes it quickly.

 

"S-Son Seungwan. Erm, Wendy! You can call me Wendy. It's a pleasure to meet you." Wendy winces at her stutter, a bad habit she has when faced with very pretty people.

 

Thankfully, Eunji doesn't think she's weird as the other girl just chuckles and calls her cute, flustering Wendy even more. Bomi just smiles at the two of them fondly, glad that her friends are getting along quite well.

 

Bomi shares things about herself as they eat their lunch, things like how she's supposed to be a batch lower than them because had been in an accident a couple years before, but she took advanced classes so she was able to catch up.

 

She also shares how she and Eunji first met – when they were both barely eight years old – how they became neighbors when Eunji and her family moved into the house next to Bomi's. The two of them have been best friends ever since.

 

Wendy in turn tells them stories of her own childhood, how she was originally born in Seoul but had to move to Canada when she was six because her father got assigned to a hospital there.

 

And how they recently moved back to Korea because he got an offer at one of the country’s top hospitals. Wendy finds herself really happy when she sees her two new friends listening intently to her every word.

 

She’s just started getting comfortable being around and talking with Eunji when someone slides into the chair across from her unannounced. Wendy yelps, jumping on her seat that she almost falls over if not for Bomi grabbing her by the arm and steadying her.

 

Wendy hears Bomi scold the newcomer about something before she hears the most angelic chuckle she's ever heard in her almost eighteen years of living.

 

Lifting her gaze to look at the person who's sat across from her, Wendy almost falls from her seat again when she sees just how beautiful the other girl is.

 

With long, flowing dark hair, rosy, porcelain-like skin, and eyes as dark as the night sky, the girl in front of her is simply the most beautiful person Wendy's ever laid eyes on.

 

And when the girl smiles – her lips curling up and pulling back to show rows of perfect white teeth and her eyes crinkling into the most beautiful crescents – Wendy feels her heart beat wildly against her ribcage, as if wanting to escape and fly straight into the beautiful girl's hold.

 

"Hi!" the girl greets enthusiastically, her smile widening a bit more at Wendy's flushed cheeks.

 

"You must be the new friend Bomi texted us about earlier. I'm Joy. I'm actually a sophomore, but I'm friends with these two and I always join them for lunch break. I hope we can be good friends."

 

**********

 

"Are you ever going to tell Joy about your feelings for her?"

 

Wendy keeps her gaze trained on the ceiling, her chest continuing to heave as she catches her breath. She raises her head a little to give the other girl a pointed look.

 

They've just finished jogging around the park near Wendy's apartment, and their skins are flushed and slick with sweat, but Wendy could care less as she lays spread-eagle on her bed. Seulgi is standing by the foot of the bed, looking down at her disapprovingly as she tries to pull at the hem of her jogging pants.

 

Whenever Wendy's too stressed or too overwhelmed to function, she always calls Seulgi to accompany her on a jog around her neighborhood. She was even hesitant at first, not liking the idea of bothering her friend.

 

But one restless night, she stayed out a little later than usual, having forgotten to text any of her friends where she'd be and purposely leaving her phone behind. Seulgi happened to visit then, and the girl was worried sick because Wendy wasn't answering the door when she knocked.

 

She came home to an earful of lectures from the other girl then, and she ended up buying a late night snack for the both of them as an apology. Seulgi was thankfully easy to appease that night, accepting the offer of food and a sleepover with a quick reminder for Wendy to never do such a thing again.

 

They ended up chatting and bonding the whole night, Wendy admitting that she had gone out because she had trouble relaxing, being too overwhelmed by her very loud thoughts and endless musings.

 

It was then that Seulgi insisted on Wendy calling her whenever she wanted to stroll or jog around the neighborhood at night. She refused at first, but the other girl can be very convincing when she wants to be, so she ended up relenting in the end.

 

Finally getting fed up with Wendy's non-answer, Seulgi walks over to the other side of the bed to lay down as well. She mimics the former and just stares at the ceiling, before snaking her hand over to take a hold of the latter's.

 

Of all of Wendy's friends, Seulgi is the only one who knows of her true feelings towards Joy. And the other girl found out on her own without Wendy telling her anything, too.

 

Seulgi has always been a bit more intuitive than most people. Wendy's quite grateful too, since she doesn't have to bottle up everything she's feeling inside anymore.

 

She has the other girl to talk to when it comes to matters concerning her heart, and Seulgi is always ready to listen and hold Wendy as she pours all of her thoughts and feelings out.

 

"It's not like confessing would change anything," Wendy says after a while, prompting Seulgi to look back at her.

 

"You and I both know that she has nothing but platonic feelings for me. You've been there all the times she said that all she sees of me is a sister. I don't want to burden her with my feelings and make her feel guilty for not feeling the same way. You know how she is."

 

Seulgi just sighs, reaching over to pull Wendy flush against her side and wrapping the latter in a tight hug. It hurts her to see her friend sad and hurting, and she firmly believes that the other girl should tell Joy her true feelings.

 

Even though it hurts, because it’s no secret that Seulgi holds the other girl very dear to her heart, she knows that no one but Joy could make Wendy the happiest.

 

It is kind of an open secret, much like her feelings for the other girl, that Wendy is in love with Joy, has been for years, and there's no doubt in Seulgi's heart that no one would make her best friend happier than their younger friend.

 

Having known each other for years, Seulgi can easily read the emotions off Wendy's face with a single look. With Joy however, she always has to do a guessing game to gauge the other girl's emotions.

 

It also doesn't help that Joy can be confusing as hell, with how she acts like she's in love with Seungwan one moment, then be like the most platonic best friend in the world the next.

 

Seulgi's quite convinced that Joy feels the same as Wendy though, just that she's not really aware of it yet.

 

Reaching for the blanket that's pooling at their feet, Seulgi pulls it over their bodies as she holds Wendy close. The other girl is not crying, but she could still feel the sadness radiating off her in waves.

 

Closing her eyes, Seulgi starts softly humming Wendy's favorite song – the one their group of friends composed some seven or eight years back, and had been Wendy's favorite ever since. She’s just finished with the first chorus when she feels the other’s breathing even out and her body slacken against hers.

 

Seulgi's heart is hurting for her friend, and she wishes for things to work out for Wendy soon. Because if there's someone who's most deserving of being loved and being happy, it's Wendy.

 

Pressing her lips against Wendy's forehead in a chaste kiss, Seulgi closes her eyes again and tries her best to drift off to sleep.

 

**********

 

It's the first time Wendy's had a free day in a while, but instead of just resting and sleeping in, she spends it cleaning up their apartment. Joy's out on a date with her boyfriend – Sungjae– so that left Wendy with nothing much to do.

 

She's done cleaning the living room and is tidying things up in her own room when she sees an old shoebox under her bed. A small smile makes its way to her lips when she recognizes the box.

 

She sits Indian style on the floor, placing the box in front of her and clearing its lid of dust. With slightly shaky hands, Wendy lifts the cover of the box and peeks inside.

 

In it rests a stack of photos of her and Joy, and them with their friends all through the years. There are also tons of old movie tickets, some even dating back to around a decade ago. A small smile lifts the corners of Wendy's lips when she sees the pair of tickets for the very first Avengers movie.

 

It's nestled between a photo of Wendy, Seulgi, Naeun, Bomi, and Eunji when they were freshmen in college, and a photo of eighteen year old Wendy and sixteen year old Joy smearing cake icing on each other's faces with the largest grins on their lips.

 

With careful hands, Wendy reaches for the tickets and reads the title of the movie written on it. She remembers how excited she was when it was finally shown in movie theaters all those years ago, and she could never forget how happy she was when she was finally able to watch it with Joy.

 

They've just finished with exams then and Joy, even though she's far from being a Marvel fan, has surprised Wendy with a dinner at their favorite ramen place before dragging her to the mall for a final screening of the Avengers movie.

 

Wendy carefully places the tickets back inside the box, along with the other ticket stubs of the movies that she and Joy watched over the years. They've been going out together less and less the past couple of months. Ever since Joy began dating Sungjae, she's been spending most of her free time with the guy.

 

And even though it stings all the damn time, Wendy's gotten quite used to it. After all, Joy is Sungjae’s girlfriend, so it only makes sense for her to want to be with and spend time with him.

 

Despite it hurting too much – even though it feels like he's slowly stealing Joy away from her – Wendy can't bring herself to resent Seunjae. He's a very nice and sweet guy, and he treats Joy like a princess. He makes her happy, so that at least makes him okay in Wendy's books.

 

She just wishes Joy would still have time for her and their friendship even though she's dating him.

 

Maybe Wendy's being clingy and selfish, but she's gotten so used to always being with Joy for more than ten years that it kind of feels weird being left alone on her own most of the time now.

 

With a sigh, Wendy picks up the stacks of photos from the box and her breath gets caught in when she catches sight of the thing lying beneath them.

 

Forever preserved in its pristine white beauty, the gardenia corsage Wendy gifted Joy at their senior prom lies in that shoebox of memories, set in a block of resin to keep it from wilting and wasting away.

 

A wistful smile makes its way to Wendy's lips when she's bombarded with memories from their senior prom night. It's probably one of her fondest and most treasured memories, and it would always, always put a smile on her lips no matter what.

 

"So, who are you going to prom with, Wan?"

 

Wendy looks up from her food to look at Bomi and Eunji, who are both looking at her with expectant eyes. Wendy chews the food in slowly, leaning back against her seat as she sends the two girls before her an unsure smile.

 

Bomi rolls her eyes while Eunji just snorts before continuing to inhale the contents of the lunchbox that she and Naeun prepared together.

 

"Seriously? Literally dozens of people have asked you since morning – and the day's not even halfway over – and you've never found any of them good enough to go to prom with?"

 

Bomi's question is met with a shrug, as Wendy picks up a piece of beef from the other girl's lunch and pops it into .

 

The former is about to protest, but Joy picks this time to finally join them at their table as she slides into the seat beside Wendy, placing a quick peck on her cheek before stealing her fork and picking food from her lunchbox.

 

Bomi and Eunji send them teasing looks which go straight over Joy's head, but Wendy sends her friends a warning glare before trying to take her fork back from the younger girl.

 

"What are we talking about?" Joy asks, playfully swatting Wendy's hands away.

 

The older girl pouts, sulking as she settles back on her seat. Joy just coos at her, pinching her cheeks before placing a piece of eggroll against her lips.

 

Wendy rolls her eyes when she hears Bomi and Eunji snicker across from them, opening to eat the egg that the other girl is feeding her.

 

"We were just asking who Wendy's gonna go to prom with," Bomi finally answers Joy's question, scooting a little closer to the end of the bench when she spots Naeun approaching from a distance.

 

Eunji, who's now also looking where Bomi's stare is fixated on, lets a smile slip on her lips at the familiar sight of Joy's best buddy. Wendy finds them cute, but doesn't comment or tease them about it.

 

Eunji and Naeun have hit it off the moment Joy introduced the latter to them some months ago, while Bomi is always off doing student council duties. That's mostly why Wendy and Joy naturally gravitated towards each other in their small friend group.

 

"Ah, prom. We're going together," Joy comments, prompting raised eyebrows from Bomi, Eunji, and Naeun who had slid into the seat beside the latter.

 

"What? Don't give us that look. You two," she points at Eunji and Naeun, "are literally going to attend prom together. Bomi is even going with Chorong. Besides, I promised Wendy that I'd go to your senior prom with her."

 

"O . . . kay. So, do you lovebirds have anything to wear already?" Bomi asks, diverting the subject though her tone is teasing.

 

Joy rolls her eyes at that, picking up a piece of sausage from Wendy's lunch and eating it. She then picks up another piece and feeds it to Wendy, who opens obediently this time.

 

"Don't be gross. We're so not lovebirds," Joy says with an eye roll. "Wendy's like a doting older sister to me."

 

"Yeah. I forgot that you're head over heels for Sungjae and Wendy doesn't do that 'falling in love bull'," Bomi says with an eye roll.

 

Joy leans over the table to poke at Bomi's side playfully, which starts an amusing round of tickling between the two. Wendy doesn't pay attention to them though, not when the younger girl’s words are still ringing in her ears.

 

She knows that Joy harbors nothing but platonic feelings for her in the months that they've known each other, but it still hurts to hear that a sister is all she'll ever be to the other girl.

 

Especially since Wendy knew that her feelings for Joy went beyond mere friendship even back when they first met.

 

Wendy lets her gaze wander from Joy and Bomi who are still bickering, finding her stare staying when they land on Eunji. There's an understanding look in her eyes, and the corners of her lips are curled down in a slight frown.

 

Eunji reaches across the table discreetly and gives Wendy's hand a gentle, comforting squeeze. It's not enough to make the pain go away, but it does distract Wendy a bit from the sound of her heart breaking inside her chest.

 

----------

 

The Friday night before their prom, Wendy finds herself at the mall with Eunji. She accompanied her friend to shop for a dress, and the two of them are on their way home after finding the perfect dress for Eunji that matches with the one that Naeun's going to wear.

 

They're passing by a boutique on their way to the exit when one of the displays catches Wendy's eyes and makes her stop in her tracks.

 

There, on display on the boutique's window, is one of the most gorgeous dresses Wendy has ever seen. It's a strapless, knee-length, pink thing that Wendy is certain would look perfectly beautiful on Joy.

 

Making up her mind, Wendy pulls Eunji inside the shop and quickly purchases the dress. Although confused at first, the other girl doesn't ask questions and just lets Wendy pull her along.

 

Not even ten minutes later, Wendy's purchased the dress and she and Eunji are on their way home once more.

 

After dropping her friend off at her house, Wendy heads straight to Joy's place with her newly purchased dress on the passenger seat of her car. She's kind of excited to see the younger girl in it the following evening, because she's sure that it would look absolutely beautiful on her.

 

There's a huge smile on Wendy's face as she drives towards Joy's house, but the sight of a small flower shop along the way makes her take a small detour.

 

The small bell attached to the door chimes as she pushes it open, and she's met with a light, flowery scent as she steps foot inside the shop. The quaint little place is bursting with vibrant color as flowers of all colors, shapes, and sizes decorate the entirety of the shop.

 

Wendy looks at all the beautiful flowers in wonder as she walks towards the front desk, where an old lady with a warm and kind smile welcomes her.

 

"What can I get for you, sweetie?" the kind old lady asks, and Wendy stutters for a bit before she manages to answer.

 

"Uh . . . There's, uhm, i-it's our school's prom tomorrow, and I was just . . . um, do you happen to know what corsage would be the best to pair with this color of dress?"

 

Wendy lifts the bag she brought with her and shows its contents to the old lady. The latter lets out a quiet hum as she regards Wendy with an observing look, which makes her fidget on her spot uncomfortably.

 

The lady then smiles before she heads to the shop's backroom, with a soft 'wait here' uttered to her.

 

Wendy waits patiently for the old lady to get back, and when she does return, there's a clear plastic box in her hold that houses a very pretty white flower with a light pink ribbon attached to it.

 

She puts the box on the counter in front of Wendy, a huge smile plastered on her lips as she gestures for her to take it.

 

Wendy does so, and she stares at the flower with wonder-filled eyes. It's actually really beautiful and it matches the dress she bought perfectly.

 

"That flower is a gardenia, dear," the old lady tells her, making Wendy look up at her words.

 

"It's a beautiful flower, eh? Did you know that flowers have a language of their own? Gardenias are very pretty flowers, and their meaning could be a little sad depending on the situation. Your eyes tell me that this would be the best for you."

 

Wendy's about to ask what she meant when her phone's ringtone blares throughout the quiet little shop. She looks at the old lady apologetically before taking her phone from her pocket and answering the call.

 

Her mother's worried voice greets her on the other line, and Wendy quickly apologises for forgetting to call when she realizes that she's taken longer than her promised time to return home.

 

Muttering out another apology, and letting her mother know that she's just heading to Joy's quickly to drop something off before going home, Wendy ends the call and reaches for her wallet after pocketing her phone. She looks at the price tag on the plastic box and pulls out a wad of bills, handing it to the old lady and bowing her head in thanks.

 

The lady waves her off with a smile, handing her the paper bag that contains the box and sending her on her way. Wendy bows and thanks her one last time, and then she's back in her car on her way to Joy's home.

 

It's Joy's father who opens the door for her when she arrives, and the older man greets her with a warm smile and a tight hug. He sends her directly up to Joy's room when she asks for her, and Wendy bounds up the stairs with excited steps.

 

She knocks on Joy's door once, twice, and she has to wait a full minute before the younger girl opens her bedroom door. The latter’s brows furrow in confusion when she sees her, but nevertheless gives her a tight hug and pulls her inside her room.

 

Wendy shakes her head though, telling Joy that she won't be there for long and citing her mother waiting for her at home as the reason. She then hands the bag that contains the dress to the other girl, who looks at her in confusion again, but accepts it nonetheless.

 

"I was at the mall with Eunji earlier as she asked me to help her pick out a dress for tomorrow evening. We were actually on our way home when I saw that dress, and I knew that I had to get it for you because I'm very sure it would look really beautiful on you,” she says softly, eyes looking fondly at the other girl. Joy smiles back adoringly in return.

 

“I even got you a corsage to go with it on the way here. But now that I think about it, you might already have a dress to wear for tomorrow. And it was stupid of me to assume otherwise. I'm so sorry I–"

 

Wendy's rambling stops when Joy leans forward to place a lingering kiss on her forehead. Her dazed brain recognizes the amused glint in the younger’s eyes and the fond smile on her lips when she pulls back, and she almost melts into a puddle when the latter steps forward to engulf her in a tight embrace.

 

"Thank you for the dress, Wannie. I'll wear it and I'm gonna make sure that I'm gonna be the prettiest for you tomorrow," Joy tells her.

 

Wendy's head has pretty much cleared when Joy pulls away from the hug, and she reaches for the hand that the girl’s not using to hold the paper bag and intertwines their fingers together.

 

"But you're always pretty to me," Wendy mutters quietly, but not quiet enough that Joy was still able to hear.

 

She curses that part of her brain that's still stuck in its Joy-induced haze for making her say that, and she's about to take back her words when she sees the bright smile on Joy's lips that her words put there.

 

"Thank you, Seungwan. I think you're always pretty too."

 

Wendy's smile turns fond as she reaches for the flower, laying the pictures beside her as she holds the block of resin containing the gardenia in her hands. She was correct in assuming that the dress would be perfect for Joy, because the younger girl looked ethereal in the dress when she picked her up the following evening.

 

Wendy remembers being breathless at the sight of Joy that night, and how she could never take her eyes off of the other girl even when she was on the dance floor having fun with all their friends.

 

They all had fun back then, and Wendy could never forget how Joy's beauty shone as she smiled and laughed and had fun the whole night. The feel of having Joy's body pressed close against hers as they slow-danced again and again to the most romantic songs still sends shivers down her spine until now.

 

It's one of the happiest Wendy has ever been, and she treasures the memories of that night with all of her heart. Her smile turns sad when she remembers the meaning of the flower – secret love, as she had come to find out after researching the symbolism of flowers – and she almost laughs out at how perfect the flower is for her.

 

She's about to return the gardenia back in the box when a weight drops on her shoulder and lithe arms wrap around her waist tightly, making her yelp in surprise and drop the flower on her lap.

 

The familiar tinkling of Joy's laughter drains the fear that suddenly seized Wendy's heart, the melodious sound lulling her heart back into its normal, calm beating. Just like it always does.

 

The scent of vanillas and strawberries and something distinctly Joy lulls Wendy into one of her Joy-induced hazes, and the girl’s familiar warmth against her back fills her whole being with warmth and erases the longing that's been keeping a tight hold of her heart.

 

"I'm sorry for surprising you," Joy mutters against Wendy's hair, placing the gentlest of kisses against the older girl's temple as an apology.

 

Wendy just hums in response, too comfortable in Joy's arms to be bothered to talk. She just missed her friend so much that she let herself be selfish for once, enjoying the feeling of being with the girl like this again after a long while.

 

"I'm sorry too, for y'know . . . for being such a y best friend and casting you aside lately," Joy dejectedly says after a moment spent in silence, her voice quiet and genuinely upset that Wendy has to break from their comfortable hug to turn and look the younger girl in the eyes.

 

Joy's eyes are glossy with unshed tears, and Wendy could see that she's actually really sad and upset with herself. JThe former’s gaze is pinned on the box that she’s been rummaging through earlier, making Wendy finally realize why she's upset.

 

Reaching out, Wendy gently cups Joy's cheeks with both hands, squeezing them playfully so that the latter's lips are puckered out. She then flashes the other girl a smile, one that's genuine and understanding and forgiving, because that's always how she is with Joy.

 

Joy can hurt her a thousand times and Wendy would forgive her every single time.

 

With her thumb gently caressing Joy's soft cheeks, Wendy leans forward so that her forehead is resting against the girl’s shoulder, her eyes automatically closing of their own accord.

 

Wendy doesn't say that 'it's okay', because Joy neglecting her has hurt more than she would want to admit. But she's not gonna dwell on the negative feelings as well. What's important for her is Joy's here with her at this moment, and that she’s already apologized for neglecting her.

 

When Wendy squeezes Joy's waist in a tight hug, the younger girl's lips curl up into a grateful smile. Because she knows it's Wendy's way of saying that she forgives her, and that everything's gonna be okay between them.

 

**********

 

Joy and Sungjae end their almost two-year relationship when the rainy season starts.

 

Wendy's out on the balcony, enjoying the view of raindrops falling from the night sky despite the cold, when Joy walks into their apartment with tear-stained cheeks.

 

The sight prompts Wendy to hurry back inside, the rain forgotten in favor of hugging the girl close and holding her up as she falls apart in her arms.

 

Wendy might love the rain and basking in its cold winds, but she loves Joy more, and she would always, always drop everything in the blink of an eye when the younger girl needs her.

 

She doesn't ask questions, just holds Joy in her arms as the latter cries and cries into her shoulders. When the other girl calms down long enough that Wendy doesn't have to worry about her knees giving up on her, she guides her to the couch, placing the softest of kisses on her forehead before heading into the kitchen to make them each a mug of hot chocolate.

 

The drink always manages to lift Joy's spirits up whenever she's down, and Wendy hopes that it would do its magic and distract her momentarily from what it is that's hurting her right now.

 

When Wendy walks back into the living room with a steaming mug in each hand, she sees Joy with the most heartbroken look on her face as tears continuously stream down her cheeks.

 

She hurriedly puts the mugs down on the coffee table, taking a seat beside Joy and wrapping her in a tight hug. In between heartbreaking sobs, the younger girl relays to her what happened earlier that night.

 

They just want different things in life, is what Joy tells Wendy when the latter asks for the reason they ended their relationship. The way her lips quiver and her eyes gloss over with incoming tears makes Wendy forgo her mug of hot chocolate in favor of holding her tight.

 

Joy doesn't cry anymore, but she's still breathing raggedly and she keeps sniffling against Wendy's neck.

 

Holding the girl tighter in her arms, Wendy begins softly humming to the tune of Joy's favorite song. It doesn't take long for the latter’s body to relax against hers and for her breathing to even out.

 

With a sad smile on her lips, Wendy continues to Joy's back affectionately. It hurts her, seeing the love of her life be so heartbroken like this.

 

The younger girl has had her fair share of relationships over the years, and even though this isn't the first time Wendy has seen Joy heartbroken, the look of hurt on Joy's face still breaks her heart even up to now.

 

If only fate wasn't so cruel to Wendy.

 

If only Joy would realize that Wendy has been in love with her all along.

 

If only.

 

If only . . .

 

If only I was given the chance to love you the way I want to, I swear I'll do everything to make you the happiest person in the world.

 

**********

 

When Byulyi and Youngsun find out about Joy and Sungjae’s breakup, the couple decides to throw a sleepover at their place with all their friends to cheer her up.

 

Wendy and Joy are the first to arrive, bringing along bottles of refreshments and snacks as per Byul’s request. Bomi arrives not too long after them, two boxes of large pizzas in her hands and a wide grin on her lips when Wendy opens the door for her.

 

They set up in the living room, where Yongsun ang Byulyi moved their coffee table and couches to the side so that they could have a huge space in the middle. Bomi sets the pizzas down along with the colas and snacks as Wendy takes a seat beside Joy, who's busy discussing movies with Yongsun.

 

A smile lifts the corners of Wendy's lips when she sees the genuine smile on Joy's lips as she listens to Yongsun list off movie selections that they all could watch together.

 

Wendy doesn't notice that she's been staring at Joy until there's a gentle tap on her shoulder, which makes her tear her gaze away from Joy to look at Eunji – who's looking at her with an understanding smile tugging at her lips.

 

The other girl asks her for some help with preparing the popcorn because some of their friends (note: Joohyun, Naeun, and Joy) would be demanding for some while they watch later.

 

Wendy agrees with a nod of her head, standing up to follow Eunji to the kitchen but is ultimately stopped by a grip on her wrist. Looking back, she sees Joy gazing up at her with inquisitive eyes.

 

"I'm just going to help Eunji prepare popcorn in the kitchen," Wendy answers without prompting.

 

Joy smiles at this, trailing her hands down so that she's holding Wendy's hand before giving it a gentle squeeze. The latter smiles back and, before thinking better of it, she leans down to kiss the top of Joy's head. "I won't take too long, I promise."

 

Wendy and Eunji work in comfortable silence as they peel and cut up fruits while waiting for the popcorn that's cooking in the microwave. The latter suggested preparing fruits for snacks for Naeun who has started dieting like crazy again for one of her upcoming projects.

 

Being used to kitchen work after years of having to cook for both herself and Joy, Wendy quickly finished with her task. She takes this time to lean against the kitchen counter and observe Eunji, who's peeling kiwi fruits with a gentle smile on her lips.

 

It's that smile again, Wendy notes, the one that only shows whenever Naeun is involved. Eunji seems to have a special smile reserved only for their quietest friend, one where her eyes are shining with something akin to love and affection.

 

Wendy's noticed it before, even way back to when they were still in high school. She just never dwelled on it too much, until now.

 

She thought that it was just a mere fleeting crush on Naeun, what Eunji felt. Because everyone has had a crush on Naeun at some point in their lives. The girl's the literal embodiment of beauty and love, and it's so hard to resist her charms.

 

Wendy began thinking otherwise however, when she saw the way Eunji looked at Naeun when it was just the two of them.

 

They were out partying at a bar a couple of months ago – her, Joy, Eunji, Naeun, Seulgi, Joohyun, Yongsun, Byulyi, Bomi, Chorong, and Hayoung.

 

Hayoung had just come back from spending the last three years abroad, having signed a contract with a popular modelling agency in the US, and they all decided that going out clubbing was the best way to celebrate her return.

 

By the time midnight rolls around, only Wendy and Eunji are the ones left sober in their group. Everyone else is drunk on their asses and letting loose on the dance floor while the two nursed their drinks at their booth.

 

There's a comfortable silence between the two of them, and they're just enjoying each other's company in peace when Naeun stumbles back into their booth and practically lands on Eunji's lap.

 

Laughing at her own clumsiness, Naeun snakes her arms around Eunji's neck, while the latter's arms naturally wrap around the younger girl's waist in a protective manner.

 

Wendy observes the two of them quietly, taking small sips from her Bloody Mary every now and then as she watches her two best friends interact with each other.

 

Naeun is whining and complaining about Eunji not being on the dancefloor with them, while the older girl just apologizes amusedly. Wendy doesn't blame her. Naeun is quite hilarious and cute when drunk.

 

Wendy's about to take another sip of her drink when she sees it – the way Eunji looks at Naeun, how her eyes are twinkling with mirth and affection as she just watches the younger with the fondest smile on her lips.

 

It's like at that moment, nothing else mattered to Eunji but Naeun. And Wendy recognizes that look, because that's exactly how she looks at Joy when she thinks no one is looking.

 

It was at that moment Wendy realized that Eunji may have been harboring more than platonic feelings for Naeun, so she's been discreetly observing their interactions since.

 

It amazes her how Eunji has been able to perfectly wear a mask of indifference whenever Naeun introduced her past relationships to their group over the years. It also makes her wonder if Eunji has someone she can talk to whenever she's hurting.

 

Honestly, Wendy thought that Eunji would've confessed her feelings to Naeun by now, but her doctor friend remains tight-lipped when it comes to her feelings. And it makes her wonder why.

 

Steeling her resolve, Wendy turns her body so that she's fully facing Eunji. The other girl is still busy cutting up fruits, and the gentle smile on her lips isn't enough to conceal the sadness in her eyes.

 

"Hey, Eunji?" said girl merely acknowledges Wendy with a hum, still concentrated on the task at hand.

 

Figuring that there's no use beating around the bush, Wendy just goes ahead and asks the question that's been bothering her ever since she's learned of Eunji's feelings for Naeun.

 

"Why won't you tell Naeun that you're in love with her?"

 

This makes Eunji stop mid-cut, her gaze lifting from the strawberry she's cutting to look Wendy in the eyes.

 

There's an unreadable look in her gaze, and Wendy was afraid she's overstepped the line with her question. She’s about to apologize and take her question back when Eunji lets out a long sigh and continues with her chopping.

 

"The same reason why you never told Joy that you're in love with her," Eunji says after a while, and Wendy feels a shudder run down her spine at the statement.

 

Oh.

 

"And don't try to deny it because I know perfectly well that you're in love with her. You look at Joy the way I look at Naeun when you think no one's looking."

 

Wendy finds herself unable to answer, so she merely lets out a defeated sigh as she smiles dejectedly at her friend. Eunji's answering smile is sympathetic, and she goes to pat her shoulder comfortingly after she's done cutting up the fruits.

 

"Naeun has so many dreams that she’s yet to achieve, and I can't bring myself to hold her back by burdening her with my feelings. She's very determined and driven so I have no doubt that she's going to thrive in whatever she sets her mind on doing,” Eunji answers gently, leaning against the counter beside Wendy. Then, with a soft sigh, she continues.

 

“But we all know how soft-hearted she also is. Maybe when she's finally taken off, when she's fulfilled all of her plans and aspirations, then maybe I'd have the courage to finally tell her how I really feel. How about you? Are you ever going to tell Joy about your feelings for her?"

 

Eunji pauses then, bumping her shoulder with Wendy’s as she crosses her arms over her chest. There's a soft, sad smile playing on her lips as her gaze gets fixated on their friends fooling around in the living room.

 

Wendy follows her gaze and her heart almost stops when her eyes meet Joy's. Sheraises a hand and waves meekly. The younger girl tilts her head to the side cutely, before the corners of her lips curl into a genuine smile – one that Wendy hasn't seen in a while – and the sight makes her heart skip a beat.

 

"I'm not sure to be honest," Wendy says after a while, when Joy gets distracted by Bomi and finally breaks eye contact with her.

 

A deep sigh falls from Wendy's lips as she rests her head against Eunji's shoulder, her heart suddenly feeling heavy as she sees Joy laugh at something Hayoung said.

 

"I'm terrified of the possibility that I could ruin our friendship by confessing my feelings. Sooyoung has been vocal since the beginning that she only sees me as a sister figure,” Wendy pauses to take a shuddering breath, her heart clenching painfully against her ribcage as she closes her eyes to will her tears away.

 

It takes a moment before she speaks again, and the whole time, Eunji just stands quietly beside her in silent support. For that, Wendy is thankful.

 

“I'm not gonna deny that it hurts so much to not be able to love her the way I want to. But if I have to choose between hurting and losing her, I'd choose getting hurt every time if it means I get to keep her in my life."

 

Wendy feels Eunji squeeze her hand in silent support, and her lips curve into a sad but grateful smile as she squeezes back. With her gaze still trained on Sooyoung, she lets out another despondent sigh.

 

"Sooyoung's always worth the heartbreak."

 

**********

 

A/N: Tell me what you think?

 

P.S. I have another on-going story so I might only be able to update this one once a week. So I’m sorry in advance.

 

P.P.S. Pwede po kayo mag-comment in Tagalog hehe