chain of love III

tcrv10
Please log in to read the full chapter

november 18, 2019. 

"And finished."

Serena clicked the 'enter' button on her laptop as she uploaded the files and sent them over to Praya to handle the rest. Serena had to touch up on some past photos she completed for a client, but the client was unsatisfied. Serena went through everything again and fix what the client wanted to fix. Although sleep would be nice and to just rest, but Serena wanted to visit her sister in the Eternal Twilight for a birthday celebration as she couldn't do it on the day of Melanie's birth date. Serena made her way over to the foyer closet she dubbed the Twilight Room. It allowed Serena to interact with her sister embodied in a physical form only within the Twilight Realm.

When she was a Cupid Reaper for a couple of months and having a rough time juggling three lives, her two keepers, Narak the Love Watcher and Kanshu the Death Watcher, went to the higher gods in finding a solution for their charge. Surprisingly the gods granted a Twilight Melanie and Serena's performance and health improved. She wondered how much persuading her keepers had to do as this was unheard of. Since then she has been grateful to and appreciative of them.

Anyways, none one was aware of the existence of the Twilight Room whenever they would come and visit as the Twilight Room appeared like an actual closet space when used by others not Serena. Serena wanted her aunt and friend to know, but she was informed to keep it a secret like everything else. So for now the room was a hidden portal and only Serena had access to it by using a special otherwordly heart-shaped key made of moonstone and amethyst.

Anyways, Serena opened the door, entered into the Twilight Room, and traveled through the Twilight Realm to hang out with Twilight Melanie. Once she arrived she was met with the surprising cool summer breeze as it hit her immediately compare to the chilling weather back home and welcomed the change of pace. Although she figured her sister might have gone with an autumn-like atmosphere, but Serena gazed at the lovely scene basked in this picturesque sight before her as it allowed her to escape from her reality for a brief moment. A few seconds later Serena could hear Twilight Melanie's voice calling out to her.

"Oh, ReRe! Hey. What's up?"

"Hi, to you, too, Mel and wanted to stop by to wish you a happy birthday."

Twi-Melanie cast her sister a puzzled look.

"It's summer, Rena. My birthday isn't for another few months."

"Ah, my bad."

Serena tried not to show her feelings to her sister.

"Well, I guess I wanted a vacation then."

"Oh, nice. Good timing because I just made some fruity alcholic concoctions."

"Oh, very nice. Got any good food to go with that?"

"Obviously. You know I can't live without eating them good meals."

"True. Food was life for you."

The pair enjoyed their drinks and meal for a while before they were joined by the two felines, three canines, and two rabbits. It was a nice and relaxing moment between the group of nine. Serena missed the sound of Melanie's laughter and her loneliness faded away as well as the moment from earlier. Soon enough the familiars return to their supernatural duties as the sisters relaxed upon a sturdy swing attached to a large branch of a grand oak tree. The sound of the sea's waves slowly flowing back and forth underneath a twinkling twilight starry sky and a gleaming moon accompanying alongside the picturesque view despite the dusky horizon. A summery-like melodious sound flow around which lulled the sisters into tranquility as they fell asleep where they sat.

Both Melanie and Serena awoke to unfamiliar surroundings. They were not in their home and their memories fuzzy and hazy. It felt like they were in some gray and airy space, but weren't quite sure of it.

"Where are we?" Melanie asked while looking around them.

"Are we dead?"

Serena gazed about her with a shake of her head equally confused.

"I don't know. I can't really remember anything. It's all so fuzzy."

"I can't remember anything either. I just remember only you and Pearl."

Melanie became alert upon locating her missing friend.

"Wasn't Pearl with us?"

"I think so, but I don't know where she is."

The pair scanned the area, but everything was gray and just the two of them. Melanie clutched her chest.

"Ah. My chest aches badly for some reason. Does yours?"

Serena shook her head with worry. Suddenly the grayness faded and their scenery changed into a green meadow underneath their feet while the sky was a mixture of bright yellow and blue filled with wispy clouds above them. Everything seemed endless and it was still just the two of them in this too quiet of a place. The pair barely noticed their previous outfits disappearing and were replaced with a plain silver knee-length long-sleeved gown. Nothing made sense. Serena noticed the fear settling in her sister's face and tried to reassured Melanie.

"Don't worry, Lani. Everything will be just fine."

"I don't feel fine, Rena. I can't help but worry." Melanie admitted as tears began to form.

Something tugged in Serena's chest and she didn't know how to comfort her sister without her own worries creeping upon her. She realized that fear had slowly crept upon her, too. Still she tried to keep on a brave facade to ease her own sister's fear of whatever was happening just now. Soon enough the sisters heard several sounds going on at once along with the weather changing. A strong breeze began to blow around them and the sky suddenly grew darker than before with a full moon shining down upon them. The sounds of bells began ringing, sirens wailing off in the distance, and the pair had no idea what was going on.

"Don't worry. It'll all just be fine," Serena reassured Melanie despite sudden tears slowly cascading down her cheeks, "Okay?"

"Okay," Melanie responded as tears also cascaded down her cheeks, "It'll all be fine."

Serena smiled weakly having suddenly felt an impending moment was about to creep upon her. Just as she had reached out to hold her sister's hand the winds grew stronger.

"Melanie!" Serena exclaimed in panicked as she clutched her sister's hand tightly.

Just as Melanie was about to do the same thing a swirling dark hole in the sky suddenly opened up and Serena into it tearing the sisters apart while leaving Melanie to desperately cry out for her older sister knowing that she'll never get an answer back.

"Serena! Rena! SERENA?!"

Melanie yelled up to the now quiet and empty sky with arms outstretched.

"SERENA!"

A moment later Melanie instantly grew dizzy and her vision blurred. She crashed onto the now flower-filled meadow that began to bloom around her. Her eyes caught sight of a forget-me-not before losing herself to sleep.

"Be at peace. The time will come when your sister has paid her dues for the both of you."

Yue Lao appeared as he spoke into the air while he motioned with his left arm around within the air.

"Rest now, my child."

Melanie's body re-positioned itself to lie upon her back instead and her previous clothes transformed into an elegant yet simple dress of shades of blue while being enclosed inside a glass-like box with more forget-me-nots growing alongside it.

"For now, you'll enjoy Eternal Twilight in a different form until then."

Yue Lao cast a sad smile upon the slumbering Melanie before motioning with his right hand. The glass-filled flowery box with Melanie inside disappeared into another hole that opened within the sky just like how Serena had disappeared before her.

Serena jerked awake while almost falling off of the swing to the same picturesque view before falling asleep, but without Twilight Melanie beside her. She re-situated herself upon the swing as she sigh at the reoccurring dream or a lack of a memory thereof she couldn't quite recall clearly. To this day Serena still wondered how she and Melanie's fate became the way it did while wondering even more on why seeing her sister in the Twilight Realm was becoming less and less as time went on. Serena had spoken with Narak and Kanshu about it, but even then those two had no answer to her question. Lost in her thoughts once again she was unaware of the two felines fluttering around her.

"NaNa."

Nerok called out to her. No response.

"Yo, NaNa."

Maofah also called out to her. Again, no response.

"Hmm, maybe the summer heat got to her?" Nerok stated with a tilt of his head as Maofah rolled his eyes.

"The Eternal Twilight doesn't get like that unless the user wishes for it. Still maybe because NaNa's still a mortal that it could happen due to her mortal desires within the Twilight Realm."

"What should we do?"

Nerok grew worried as Maoah grinned mischievously.

"I could slap her in the face. That should do it."

"You're too mean, Maofah."

"I never said I was nice."

"That halo really doesn't fit you."

"Shut up, Nerok. I've been rocking this thing even more you became whatever it is that you are."

Maofah tried again while waving a hand in front of Serena's face which caught her attention.

"Hello? Anyone home? Cupid Reaper. Hello!"

"Hmm? Oh. Hi, Maofah. Hi, Nerok. What's up?"

"Nothing, but what's up with you? You've been more spacey lately?"

"Yeah, Maofah's right. You've been really spacey."

Nerok inputted with a concerned face as Serena brushed them off.

"It's nothing. So, why are y'all here? Shouldn't you be at the Cupid or Grim Reaper Station, respectively, right now?"

"Nope. Free time. Let's go get strawberry gelato. They have their summer special going on! Double Strawberry and Strawberry Parfait!"

Nerok suggested with a grin while pointing a paw at Maofah.

"He's been waiting for you to treat him to that white peach gelato that they released at Minito Gelato."

"No, I wasn't."

"Yeah, you were."

"Was not."

"Was to."

"You shut up your dumb vampire cat."

"I'm not dumb."

"Yes you are."

"No I'm not."

"Yeah huh."

"Not uh."

The felines continued to argue and Serena smiled at their interaction before intervening so that it wouldn't get too out of hand while suggesting they return to the Earth Realm for gelato at her friend's shop. This proved to be effective as it calmed the cats as they were now eager to dig into the sweet treat and were peaceful for the time being. Serena smiled once again at the two's interaction while glancing longingly towards the purplish horizon wishing she could share a gelato moment with Melanie again.

november 19, 2019. 

"Officer Kim."

Taehyung stopped typing upon hearing his name and gazed up at his superior with a curious look. It was just the two of them at the station in the morning while everyone else was taking care of their own assignments before arriving.

"Yes, Chief Purdy?"

"Have you heard about your upcoming promotion and transfer to headquarters?"

There was talks about transfers and promotions amongst him and the other officers, but he didn't think it was about him.

"Headquarters? No. Why am I being promoted and transfer, Chief Purdy?"

"You've produced excellence results over the year since you've been here at the Illia Police Station. Anyways, the higher ups decided that you'll show greater promise at the First Unit of the Nizho Metropolitan Police Department thanks to your impressive results after evaluation."

"Thank you kindly for your words, Chief, but I can't just leave you guys like that." Taehyung said with a polite smile.

"I really enjoy my time as a part of the squad at this station."

"Don't worry about it, Officer Kim. We all know that you are meant for greater things."

Chief Purdy dismissed with a wave of his hand while also complimenting Taehyung.

"Ah, thank you, sir."

Taehyung became shy upon hearing those words before asking more about it.

"When does my transfer and promotion become effective, sir?"

"After the end of this year starting on the first day of the new year." Chief Purdy answered with a sad smile.

"Oh? That's fast."

"Yup. Just need to finish some more paper work and you'll be hanging with the big shots soon. Just stop by when you're in the area."

"I will, sir."

Chief Purdy walked away after patting Taehyung on the shoulder like a proud father. Taehyung looked about the place he has worked in for the past year and a half. He sure was gonna miss the place and the people he had gotten to know since he started. He continued with his report when the chief asked him for one last thing.

"I know you just got done with the Arin Min case, but could I ask you to take care of something for me while the others will meet you there."

Chief Purdy placed a file onto Taehyung's desk.

"Can do, Chief."

"Poor kids, but poor her."

Taehyung mumbled while typing away on the computer before him after taking care of the assignment Chief Purdy assigned to him earlier today.

"Life really isn't fair."

He sighed deeply while inputting the report of the Poker bust at The Cunning Kiwi into the Illia Police Department's database. Upon glancing at the name of the person, Courtney Park, he had just questioned not that long ago reminded Taehyung of her ghostly friend. He checked up on Courtney's information to see if there was a reason the female spirit to hang around. The spirit may be the cause of Courtney's slightly disheveled appearance and the wonky countdown of her lifespan. It reminded him of Arin Min, but less obscured. Once he found Courtney's file did his eyes wandered to the bottom of her profile and frowned upon seeing the content of it dismissing his previous assumption of the female ghost.

Several incidents of shoplifting and vandalism. Two cases for breaking and entering. Another case for assault and battery against a fellow peer. There was even two for joyriding and another one for jaywalking. The one that caught Taehyung's eyes and concern were several cases dealing with suicide attempts and self-harm over the years since she was in middle school. Although a majority of these occurred during her adolescent year

Please log in to read the full chapter