Chapter 1: Crown Part 2

Dream & Chaos

Yewon bounces up and down on the spot with exceeding elation as she recognises that she was able to get the ball past Soobin and touch the back of the net. Sunghoon celebrates this cheerful event by high-fiving her and giving her a group hug with Wonyoung. Feeling left out, Soobin goes over to celebrate and saw Sunghoon initiate the joviality. Thinking about the various times Sunghoon has advanced to Yewon with sincerity, jealousy rushes through him and charges into the group hug, separating Sunghoon from the two girls. “Don’t touch her without my permission.” Soobin announces with his whole chest.

“Wha-“ Yewon reacts with much confusion.

“Don’t accept his sincerity so easily.”

“Why? I don’t see a problem with it.”

“Just listen to me. Yewon-ah.”

“…alright”

All that Yewon does in response is just looks at the floor, sulks and trudges off slowly.

“What’s your problem? Like Yewon said, I don’t see a problem with it!” Sunghoon exclaims, as he walks up to Soobin with some boldness.

“She’s my girlfriend. Why are you so nice to her all of the time? Every time I look at you, you’re doing something I don’t to see you doing. It makes my blood boil at such immense speeds.”

“Why can’t I be nice to people? I just want to be a friendly person! That’s all! Is there a law that I mustn’t talk to girls with a significant other?”

Soobin has had enough, grabs Sunghoon by the shirt and pulls him up slightly.

“Don’t try anything else. Or fists will be used. Don’t test me.” Soobin commands.

Mr Shin spurts over to the debacle and breaks up the two of them. The situation is resolved and the class may now continue.

 

During the time Soobin and Sunghoon had their argument after teaming up with Yewon and Wonyoung. Shiah has already teamed up with Jungwon, then Sunoo tagged along minutes later. Being the childhood friends, they reminisce some of their elementary school memories together. Kai, of course, is searching the entire class for Shiah and eventually does find her. Meeting up with the trio, he joins their team with ease as they are content to let him join. “So, is this us? The four of us?” Jungwon conjectures.

“It seems as though!” Sunoo follows up.

“Let’s all cheer for ourselves! Team ShiKaiWonoo!” Kai verbalises.

The four of them canter at the same time, cheering for themselves. With great teamwork, the quartet complete the tasks given by Mr Shin in astonishing succession.

Every time one of his team member manages to score a goal, Kai applauds them of course. But with Shiah, it’s different. He seems even more thrilled when she does score. Sunoo and Jungwon were agile to notice this and the two of them huddle together to privately whisper about something. “Kai's a little suspicious, isn’t he?” Sunoo mutters to Jungwon. 

“He definitely has feelings for Shasha and he really wants to tell her but can’t. It’s quite pitiful that our Shasha is fairly slow on things like this. Right?” Jungwon reciprocates.

“100%. She was always slow with jokes ever since we met her. Should we play duo cupids? I feel really bad for Kai right now.” 

“Let’s go.”

 

The sly, cunning, playful duo nudge Kai a little giving him a few winks, signalling to him that they know his little secret. Jungwon murmurs into Kai’s ear, “We both already have identified your feelings for our friend Shasha. Fear not, we will not share such important information throughout our class. The two of us have come to the conclusion to keep it a secret between us”. Kai glances over at Sunoo and the friendly, frolic fox gives him a reassuring smile and nod.

“You two are too sharp. Heh. You better keep it a secret or words will be had.” Kai mutters.

“As Yangnyang said, fear not.” Sunoo replies.

 

It’s Shasha’s turn again to shoot, so Sunoo gets into the goalkeeper position ready to block her shot. Her form seems to be a bit peculiar as she runs up, possibly from fatigue as the group have quite literally exhausted themselves from kicking a football multiple times. Missing the ball, her ankle twists asudden. Crack. The cartilage connecting her ankle and her foot shatters, propelling immense pain throughout Shiah’s body, causing her to fall. Without hesitation, Kai swiftly catches her before she hits the ground.

Jungwon also rushes over to help and immediately crouches near Kai. “Put her on my back. I’ll run her up to the nurse office as fast as possible”. Kai was a little reluctant but he allows Jungwon to run her up so she can get medical help. With agility, Jungwon securely takes Shiah straight up to the nurses office so she was able to get some pain relievement for her ankle. Unfortunately, it’s not in the state where the nurse can heal it, meaning she must be transferred to a hospital so she can get a cast and crutches so she doesn’t put any pressure on her injury. Slightly relieved that Shiah is fine yet melancholy that Shiah has injured herself and has to get crutches because of it.

 

[It should have been me. But Jungwon isn’t too bad. He’s her childhood best friend so I guess it makes sense for him to take her. He’s really quick too. But it should have been me anyways. I’m the one for her. Only me. No one else is allowed her. I won’t let them.] Apprehensive thoughts flood Kai’s mind.

 

Mr Shin blows his whistle and announces that it is now time for lunch. and so forth he commands them to get changed back into their uniform and go to the canteen.

 

The lunch assistants efficiently dish out the food to each of the students’ trays as they come one by one, one after another. Delectable pieces of donkatsu, steaming kimchi-jjigae, vibrant stir-fried bean sprouts and various other side dishes are placed with care as the students salivate looking at the food. Carrying their trays, Soobin and Yewon find a seat near a window so they can observe the beauty of nature while filling their stomachs with appetising food items. Individually, Kai and Shiah find their seats next to the famous school couple, with Sunoo, Jungwon and Wonyoung tagging along later. Soon later, Sunghoon moves himself over to the group near the window. “Can I sit here? I don’t really have that many people that I know.” Sunghoon inquires.

“Do what you want.” Soobin grudgingly states with slight disgust in his tone.

Noticing Yewon has already finished all of her donkatsu, Sunghoon places two pieces of his own on her tray. Biting her chopsticks with confusion, Yewon casually turns her head to look at Sunghoon. “I thought you really liked donkatsu so eat up. I don’t mind eating slightly less.” Sunghoon implies.

With some force, Soobin slams his chopsticks onto the table. “Yewon. I’ve finished my lunch. Let’s go.” Soobin conveys with animosity. Still chewing the donkatsu given to her, Yewon picks up her tray as well and follows Soobin to clean their trays.

“Yewon. Isn’t he being a little weird? That Sunghoon person.” Soobin asks.

“Not really. I just think he’s really nice. That’s all.” Yewon replies, smiling at Soobin’s face.

Soobin sighs heavily. Holding her hand, he goes on a walk with Yewon down a few hallways in the school.

 

Conversing about how good the lunch was today, Jungwon and Kai jovially clean their trays and put them away safely. “Hey wait up for me!” Shiah catches up to them just before they run off too promptly. Tedium emanates from the 3 of them as they struggle to find something to do during their break. One step a time, the trio tread through hallways. Stomp after stomp, Jungwon notices something postered up on a bulletin board.

’CheongHa Sports Clubs: Our school would like you to join our school sports clubs to represent the school at competitive events against other school in the area. The sports chosen are Basketball and Volleyball. Sign up at the Teacher’s Office if you have any interest in joining! See you on the courts soon enough!’

 

“This does look very intriguing. I might go for basketball quite honestly.” Kai deliberates.

“You know what? I’ll join you. Let’s dominate the school basketball team scene together.” Jungwon adds. “What about you, Shasha?”

Shiah explains to them how she needs to put a lot of hours into work since she’s taking care of her grandma so she barely even has time to do certain leisure activities or meet up with friends.

 

Taking one of the posters pinned on the corkboard, Jungwon manages to identify Soobin and Arin walking down the hallway they were in. Grabbing their attention, Kai tells them about the school sports club and attempts convinces Soobin to join the Basketball club. Soobin waits for Yewon to make a decision before he makes his own.

 

“I think I’ll join Volleyball. I’ve seen some games on the Olympics and it looks like so much fun!” Yewon exclaims.

Scratching his head, Soobin sighs a few times and realises that his dad is a professional basketball player that is part of the South Korean team. [I can’t disappoint Father like this. I must play basketball.]

“i’m sorry Yewon-ah. I would really love to join you in volleyball but I have to join the basketball team. For my father’s sake” Soobin expresses with disappointment as he cannot be on the same team as the love of his life. Yewon acknowledges this as she can comprehend the fact that Soobin’s father is his role model in life. The two of them hug it out and pat each others backs cutely.

Jungwon, Shiah and Kai all look away in disgust and cringe at the couple being all lovey-dovey.

Just before going to class, they all find themselves in the teacher’s office so that they able to sign up to their desired sports club.

 

The 5 of them return to class and continue to work hard. Teachers come and go to teach them various subjects. Time flies as each students’ pens fly across their pages, answering question after question. Zooming through the questions and tasks assigned by the teacher, Class 2-B’s lessons are complete and the day finally ends. However, the sports club members all rush out to get changed and ready to practice some sport. In one section of the hall, we have the Basketball team consisting of Soobin, Sunwoo, Chan, Kai, Jungwon and 7 other students. As opposed to the Volleyball team, which comprises of Sunghoon, Taehyun, Wonyoung, Yewon, Beomgyu, and Jihyo as the main lineup with Yuri, Chaewon, and 2 other students as benched players. Divided by a set of curtains, the two teams are getting trained by school coaches. An hour and a half pass and the training is complete. The curtains are pulled back to their original position. Although something catches Soobin’s eye in his peripheral vision, Sunghoon is helping Yewon with practicing setting. Weirdly, he seems a bit more touchy to Yewon than with other members of his team. Soobin has had enough. Drop. The ball he was holding in his hand descends to the floor abruptly, gradually losing momentum and coming to a halt on the ground. As fast as he possibly could, Soobin sprints across the hall and launches a punch straight across Sunghoon’s handsome face, managing to not accidentally bump into Yewon in the process.

“I warned you already.” Soobin growls under his breath as he throws an uppercut into Sunghoon’s abdomen. In retaliation, Sunghoon’s adrenaline spikes and all of his energy is focused into his legs so he is able to dash forward and take Soobin to the ground with all of his might. Mounting Soobin, Sunghoon pulls back his fist and winds up to heave a large hit into Soobin’s face but Mr Shin blowing his whistle. The debacle is resolved and both Sunghoon plus Soobin are punished for fighting within school grounds immaturely.

The club ends and all of the students head home.

 

In the interim of the Sports Club, Shiah had to attend her shift at work in Yeolsui Cafe. This cafe was founded and is currently owned by Soobin’s parents which happens to be why she was able to get the job in the first place. An hour passes and she accidentally makes the wrong drink for a customer. Quickly apologising to the customer and swiftly making the correct drink, Shiah is then asked to see the manager for a few minutes.

Shiah arrives at the manager’s office and immediately gets scolded once she takes a step in, “How many times has it been this week? TOO MANY. You’ve made so many mistakes recently and I am so close to firing you. Bat young sir Soobin’s request-“

Crackle. Thunder strikes suddenly, cutting off what the manager had to say instantaneously. Dark clouds circle Yeolsui Cafe as heavy rain showers the entire city with precipitation...

 

A/N: This is my first time ever writing a fic, so thank you for reading!