BETWEEN MAYBES

BETWEEN MAYBES

Wendy's POV

 

It's our graduation day, finally. My girlfriend and I are going to our university in a few days, because we still need to process our papers and ready our things so we can move to our dormitory. And I'm just so happy that we are entering the same university.

 

I'm glad that we achieved what we want this high school. Her, to graduate as the Salutatorian and I as the Valedictorian of our batch. As I said in my speech, I thanked the persons that supported me throughout my life in this school. I see our friends and my family cheering on me through the crowd, but in the midst of these people in front of me, my eyes and my heart will always and will only find her.

 

After all the years that I wished to get out of this school because I want to graduate college and work, I will not lie and will totally say that I will miss this place. Many important things happened here. First is that, I knew people that became an important part of my life, some of my professors, my friends, and the love of my life.

 

We have created a lot of memories in here, may it be a good or a bad one. That's how life is, right? It's not always good, we will face hardships, and some might break us down.

 

As the ceremony ended, I took pictures with my friends, my parents and with my lovely girlfriend. As I said goodbye to my friends, I saw my girlfriend signalling me to go to her, so I immediately ended things and ran to her.

 

"Hey girlfriend!" I said as I kissed her forehead.

 

"Congratulations to you love" she said as she hugged me.

 

"You mean congratulations to us, right?" I said and we both laugh.

 

"So about our date tomorrow, are you ready?" She said happily.

 

"Yes I am ready and super excited for tomorrow." I answered.

 

She plays with her fingers, that's what she does when she wants to say something.

 

"Have something in your pretty mind?" I asked.

 

"Hmm... yeah, but I think it's for tomorrow. Let's not ruin our graduation, okay?" She said while she held my hand tightly.

 

She assured me, so I think it's not that important, right?

 

After out taking a lot of pictures, our parents decided to have a dinner together. I'm glad that we are accepted by our families because I can't imagine if they didn't. Nevertheless, I'll still fight for our love and will hold on to my girlfriend.

 

Before I went to wash up, I opened my scrapbook where I put all of our memories. I saw a picture of my girlfriend in a studio booth, she wants to be a newscaster, and I totally support her for that. She also paints and draws, most of the times she makes art and give it to me, and it's all hanged on my wall. As much as possible I try to support her on things that she likes, because I can't do those, but I try my best to be the best supportive girlfriend.

 

After a walk down memory lane, I got ready for bed and said good night to my girlfriend, and wished to the moon that tomorrow will be greater than today.

 

The rays of light coming from the Sun has touched my skin and blinded my eye, which is not great by the way. I want to sleep more but I heard my mom calling me from downstairs. So I have no choice but to get up and meet her.

 

I was surprised when I saw my girlfriend. She wears this simple shirt and jeans but she looks so stunning, models from Levis and H&M should be thankful because my girl didn't choose to be a model.

 

"Hey I thought I'll fetch you in your house around 10am, why are you here so early? It's not that I don’t want you here, but you know, we slept late last night and right now is super early and it's not-"

 

"Babe you need to slow down. I came here earlier because I want to spend more time with you, okay?" She said.

 

"Oh, yeah, alright, cool, let me just take a shower and we can go, okay?"

 

She nods and I led her to my bedroom.

 

I'm getting my clothes and I heard her calling me.

 

"Uh babe where are your notepads? Can I have one?" She asked.

 

And I said "It's on the drawer to your right babe. Just get whatever you need, it's okay. I'll just take a shower, love you!"

 

I wonder what will she do with that. I guess she'll draw or something.

 

As I finished wearing my clothes, I went to my bedroom and saw my girlfriend put something under my pillow, then she saw me.

 

"Hey, you ready to go out?" She asked.

 

"Uhhh yeah, sure let's go" I answered.

 

Maybe that thing isn't that important, I'll just check it later when I go home.

 

While I'm driving, I took some time to look at her and adore her.

 

"Babe, can I play some songs?" She asked.

 

"Yeah sure babe" I said.

 

And as always, she plays Taylor Swift's songs. But most importantly she always plays "Daylight" first, that's her favorite.

 

Then, the line "I'll tell you the truth, but never goodbye" is my favorite one since she always looks at me. And all I can feel is the love that she gives.

 

As we get near, I can hear her singing, and hell, I would bet all just to hear her sing and hope that this thing between us will never end.

 

We decided to do our usual date, watch a movie, eat dinner, and go to the nearby carnival where we played mini-games. We got tired and decided to buy some corn dogs and drinks. As we found an empty seat, we sat on it and started to munch our food.

 

"Are your bags ready? We are going to our dorm in the next 2 days! Also don't forget your papers okay? You should bring all of them so that we can enroll after we got settled." I said merrily while she's just staring at me.

 

She smiles.

 

"Why? What? Is there a mustard on my face?" I said as I got some tissues.

 

She stopped my hand and said "No..... No babe, there's nothing on your face, I just want to stare at you for a moment."

 

"Don't worry babe you can now stare at me every morning as we wake up and every night before we go to sleep." I said and winked at her.

 

She then again smiled.

 

But with a tear slipping out of her eye.

 

"Hey, hey babe are you okay? Why are you crying?" I asked while wiping the tear.

 

"That's the sad part babe, I can't go stare at your face just like you said."

 

I was stunned and baffled. "What? Why? What do you mean babe?"

 

"I'm sorry but I'm going to apply in a different university. I know we planned on going to the same one, but that University offers so much more for my chosen program. I just can't let that go, and they also said that I can be a scholar there."

 

Everything shattered after I heard her say it. Then, what about the plans that we have made? The things that we planned to do? The promise that we need to fulfill. What about me then?

 

The last thing I know was we are both crying that night. I can't mutter anything.

 

2 days have passed and we still talk, but not like the last time. I'm now checking my things since I need to go to my dorm. Yes, "my", a sad thing right? But what can I do but to support her.

 

As I put my bags in the car, I heard someone call me. Then I turned my back.

 

"Hey"

 

"Hey, what are you doing here?"

 

"Just... I just want to send my girlfriend off."

 

"Oh, no it's okay, you will leave tomorrow right? You might get tired, it's a long way. You... you need to rest okay?"

 

"Are you... breaking up with me?"

 

I walked to her and hugged her tight.

 

"No, we aren't breaking up. We can do this right? We'll be together till the end right?" I said.

 

She nods, "Yes, we can"

 

"I know, we can."

 

I bid her goodbye and give her my last kiss.

 

Months and years have passed but hey, we are still here, together, strong, and in love. A good thing right.

 

I wrote letters and sent gifts even if we can use our phones. I always text her and update her on whatever I do, we also call each other every time we are free.

 

College life was wonderful and fast, and now we need to face another world. I know we can still do this, we are strong enough to withstand hardships.

 

I applied in a good construction firm and they gave me a good amount of salary. While my girlfriend, she got accepted and became a junior newscaster on a big channel here. I always watch her and I always got mesmerized by her beauty.

 

A fair amount of time, thinking of getting married. It's the right time right? Right?

 

What a great thing to marry your first and your one and only love.

 

But hey, looks like dreams don't always do come true, promises are sometimes meant to be broken, wishes aren't always heard.

 

The things that I said earlier? Those are the things that we both planned.

 

Going to the same college, staying strong, getting our dream job, and most of all getting married.

 

None of those came true.

 

I did get a degree, a job in a good construction firm, but not getting married to her, Irene.

 

The day that I was supposed go to my dorm, the time she went to my home before I left, that conversation didn't happen. She went there to break up with me.

 

The times in our college where I said that I sent her things, called her, messaged her. I did that, I pleaded if we can go back. I did my best to be the best one for her.

 

On her graduation day, I travelled and went there, just to see her clinging onto someone that I can see who’s much better than me, her dream person, who has the same passion as her.

 

Before she entered the car, I tried to go near her but my feet just can't. Then she saw me, she saw me crying, with a bouquet of withered flowers. I thought she'll go near me, but she just stared at me with pity in her eyes.

 

Her stares now scream a different emotion, and not with the loving and caring stare that she always gave to me just like before.

 

That night ended with me getting drunk. My friend even needed to bring me home.

 

How funny can our life be, right?

 

And hey, have you noticed that this is the first time I said her name? Funny right? As much as I want her to call my girlfriend, I can't. I can't because she is now getting married.

 

Getting married to someone with the same interest that she has. I did my best to support her but, I guess it's not enough.

 

I got interrupted by our friend, Joy.

 

"Hey, on what planet are you on? The host called you, I didn't know you agreed to sing on her wedding day. You just need to hurt yourself more eh?" She said and taps my shoulder.

 

As I walk in front and took the microphone, I stare at her and only her.

 

I heard the music and start singing.

 

"My love was as cruel as the cities I lived in

Everyone looked worse in the light"

 

I don't know about her but all of our memories flashed through my eyes. The night strolls, our movie dates, the games we played at the carnival, the time where we promised to be together always, every memory came back to me. And it pains me more that it's not what she's thinking of, it's not me.

 

It's not me anymore.

 

"There are so many lines that I've crossed unforgiven."

 

This next line, when she sings this, she always looks at me in the eye, but now, where is she?

 

"I'll tell you the truth, but never goodbye"

 

The host then tells them to go to the middle of the floor and dance.

 

Right, just the freaking scene that I need to watch.

 

They stand in front of me, the person that she's married has her back faced to me.

 

I can see her face. Her beautiful face.

 

"I don't wanna look at anything else now that I saw you"

 

She's crying and I don't know the reason why. Maybe because she's happy? Or maybe sad? No, why would she be right?

 

One step to the right.

 

"I don't wanna think of anything else now that I thought of you"

 

Another step to the left.

 

"I've been sleeping so long in a 20-year dark night"

 

As my tears fall down little by little, I try so hard not to break down.

 

"And now I see daylight, I only see daylight"

 

As the song ended, I went to Joy and sat again.

 

And started to drift away, again. Because all I know and what I believe is that, if you don't like where you are, imagine where you want to be.

 

I am now again wondering between the maybes that might have happened if I did more.

 

That maybe if I put a little more effort, she won't leave me.

 

Maybe if I went with her, she won't find someone.

 

Maybe if we have the same hobby, I'll be perfect for her.

 

Maybe if I didn't break up with her, we can still make it work.

 

And maybe, just maybe, I'm the one that she's married to.