Sixth

Leave None Behind

Yoongi climbed back to the front of the jeep and collapsed into the passenger’s seat with a deep sigh of relief as the vehicle slowed down to maneuver around the wreckage along the road. Dawn was beginning to break over the city, and though that meant better visibility for the two who had just escaped the breached safe zone, it also allowed the same for anything out there looking to devour healthy human flesh. Travelling out in the open, they were still in constant danger of getting jumped by any infected that would spot them, and it was best that they kept moving for the time being.

“I… guess we’re heading over to the next safe zone?” Hoseok asked, warily glancing around as he continued to drive.

“That would be Purple Light Park,” Yoongi stated, keeping a firm grip on his rifle in case they were attacked. “It’s going to be quite a long drive and it’s been a crazy night. You think you can hold out in broad daylight till we get there?”

Observing how deep in thought Hoseok was, he then let out an amused scoff. “Not that it’s a challenge or anything. I’m quite sure that neither of us wants to, you know, die.”

“In which case, we’ll have to find a hiding place to wait the day out,” the other concluded, spotting a potential one up ahead. “Let’s check over here.”

Hoseok pulled up to an enclosed loading dock while Yoongi scanned the area to ensure that it was safe. Finding it deserted, the latter nodded to his companion in the driver’s seat, who then alighted from the vehicle and went over to the entrance, intending to look for a way to shut it. He quickly found the roller shutter’s switch on the wall, fortunately with its key left in it. He turned the key, attempting to ignore the chill running down his spine at the inhuman shrieks he could hear in the distance as the shutter lowered to the ground.

Meanwhile, Yoongi was rummaging through the supplies in the rear storage compartment of the jeep. “Looks like we took a good one out of there. We’ve got some food, water, and ammunition in here.”

Hoseok gave him a nod in response. He was beginning to register that they were safe for the time being, and with that thought came the memory of when he had last heard from his friends. Whatever happened sounded bad over the phone, and he could only hope that they were still alive. Panicking internally, he pulled his phone out to try contacting them again, only to find that it was dead. He realized that he was still drenched in water, and figured that it must have shorted when he fell into that pool back at the resort.

He let out a frustrated sigh and turned to Yoongi. “Yoongi? You think we should check out whatever this dock is attached to? If this entire place is still safe, perhaps I can find a landline phone somewhere around. I just want to find out if my friends out there are fine.”

Yoongi looked at him curiously. “You know people who are still alive out there?”

Hoseok shrugged worriedly. “I mean, I hope they’re alive…”

“I see no harm in taking a look,” replied Yoongi, going up the short flight of stairs to the platform where a heavy side door and a row of locked-up openings stood between the loading dock and what was likely some sort of warehouse.

With Hoseok right behind him, Yoongi readied his rifle, took a deep breath, and opened the side door. Just as he did that, a young male armed with a baseball bat shot through the doorway past him and slammed right into Hoseok, nearly knocking him over. Yoongi peered through the doorway, his eyes widening at the several infected popping out from behind shelves and rushing at them. He immediately swung the door shut and locked it. The savage creatures could be heard clawing at the door on the other side, but he was certain that it would hold. The exhausted newcomer fell limp in Hoseok’s arms and released his grip on the bat, letting it clatter to the floor and roll away.

Hoseok held him up. “Hey, stay with me, alright? What’s your name?”

“Ji- Jimin…” was all the youth managed before passing out.


Namjoon jolted awake, agitated by his last memory of their car crashing straight into a wall. He then winced at the pain he was feeling in several parts of his body.

“Hyung!”

He turned towards the voice, his vision clearing to see Taehyung running over to him. They appeared to be in a store that looked like a standalone pharmacy. He checked himself and saw that he had a few wounds which were wrapped in bandages. Jin way lying beside him, bandaged up in a similar way, while Jungkook looked to be standing guard at the entrance of the shop with his hockey stick.

Taehyung wrapped his brother in a big hug. “You’re okay!”

Namjoon flinched at the intense pain the contact was causing him. “Ugh! Well, mostly I guess.”

The younger quickly let go. “Sorry!”

“So, what happened? And where’s Jimin?” Namjoon asked.

Taehyung let out a deep sigh, a troubled expression crossing his face. “You’re not going to believe this…”

Groans erupted from the three boys in the back seats of the car as they recovered from the impact of the crash. Fortunately for them, they were just fine, but the same could not be said for the two in the front seats who were knocked unconscious. In addition, the horde of infected that had been chasing the car currently surrounded the vehicle, trying to get to them. After a moment of thought, Jimin grabbed the handle above him and began to wind the sunroof open.

“What are you doing?” Taehyung asked his friend cautiously.

“I’ll take them away from here. You and Jungkook get your hyungs to safety,” Jimin responded, and climbed through the open sunroof before either of his friends could stop him.

He hit the roof of the car with his baseball bat to get the horde’s attention before leaping over them onto the ground. The other two watched in stunned silence as he ran from the vehicle, taking the infected with him.

Jungkook snapped out of his shocked state first, and nudge the other. “Hyung, let’s go.”

“After that, we found this place and have been here since then,” Taehyung finished.

“You’re kidding!” Namjoon exclaimed in disbelief, rubbing the bridge of his nose. “That boy is insane…”

Taehyung nodded sadly. “Yeah, but I don’t know what would have happened to us if he hadn’t done that.”

“Can’t you find out where he is now? He still has his phone on him, doesn’t he?”

“I don’t know,” the younger replied in visible distress. “I don’t know if he’s even still alive! Trust me, I’ve been tempted to contact him, but if he’s still somewhere out there, the last thing he’ll need is a distraction.”

Namjoon looked out the window and shook his head. “The Sun’s already coming up, it’s been way too long. Just call him.”

Taehyung took his phone out, navigated to his friend’s contact, and then hesitated, fearing that he was not going to like what he was about to find out. However, he eventually figured that finding out sooner or later was not going to change anything, and hit the call button. He held his breath as it rang, and then let out a sharp gasp when he heard the call being answered.

“Jimin, you crazy mochi! Where are you?!”

To his surprise, the voice on the other end was not Jimin’s, but was still a familiar one. “Hello? Kim Taehyung, is that you?”

Taehyung tilted his head in confusion. “Oh my goodness, Hoseok hyung? What are you doing with Jimin’s phone?”

“Hoseok?” Namjoon asked, just as confused, and signaled for Taehyung to put him on loudspeaker.

“Yes, hi Tae,” Hoseok responded. “Right, Jimin’s the kid who found his way into our little hideout. He’s out from exhaustion, but he’ll likely be alright. The phone in his pocket was ringing, so I answered it. I was surprised to see the caller ID showing your name. Could have been anyone else with the same name, but I’m glad it actually is you. How’s everyone over there? That sounded like a bad accident earlier.”

Taehyung let out a huge sigh of relief at the news about Jimin, while Namjoon shifted closer to the phone and spoke. “Hi Hoseok, we’re all fine, thanks. Jimin was the one who let us escape by luring an entire swarm of infected away from us. I’m glad to hear he’s safe with you. What’s this about a hideout, though? Aren’t you at Black Swan Resort?”

Hoseok hissed, remembering the tragedy that had taken place at the mentioned location. “Yeah… it’s a good thing you guys didn’t make it there after all. The safe zone was breached by the infected, so we had to run away.”

Namjoon and Taehyung stared at each other with horrified expressions at what they had just heard, and then Hoseok spoke again. “So, who’s this Jimin guy to you, and where are you now?”

“Jimin’s my friend,” Taehyung answered. “And we’re in this store called Wings Pharmacy, or something.”

“Oh, I think I know where that is. We have a working vehicle here, we’ll see if we can go over to pick you guys up at sundown.”

“Awesome, thanks Hoseok,” Namjoon ended off, before the call was cut.

With a satisfied smile, Taehyung turned to other friend by the entrance and called out. “Jungkook-ah! Close up and come rest with us. It’s already bright, we don’t want any infected to spot you. Jimin isn’t coming back here, he’s with hyung’s friend.”

Jungkook turned around in pleasant surprise. “Seriously? Oh, thank goodness!”

While he was lowering the shutter over the doorway with a hook crank, Jin looked to be stirring awake.

“Ah, dang… what’s with all the yelling?” The eldest groaned, slowly sitting up.

Taehyung scrambled over to Jin, but remembered not to hurt him with a tight hug like he did with Namjoon. “Jin hyung, you’re okay too! We have to fill you in on so much.”

“No need, I heard everything,” Jin casually replied, shocking his brothers.

Namjoon then laughed while Taehyung pouted. “You were awake the whole time? Why didn’t you say anything, hyung? I was worried!”

Jungkook had come over and was about to say something, when a sudden noise was heard coming from the supply room behind the counter. The group glanced at one another in panic, considering the possibility of something dangerous being in the store with them.

“I don’t know what that was, but I think we should check it out,” Jungkook suggested, turning to Taehyung.

“Better than being caught off guard later,” Taehyung agreed, before turning to his injured brothers. “Jin hyung, Namjoon hyung, you stay here.”

Jin nodded. “Be careful.”

The younger pair quietly snuck behind the counter with their weapons in hand, stopped on either side of the doorframe, and cautiously peered into the supply room through the open door…