Tenth

Leave None Behind

Jin hurriedly scanned the passenger service booth he and Jungkook were in for something that could help them. Both the security screen and the door on the entrance side were starting to crack from the force of the savage creatures outside, and they could not stay in there for much longer. His gaze eventually fell on a landline phone, and he grabbed the receiver and put it to his ear. Fortunately, he heard a tone, telling him that the phone was working. As he dialled the number of one of his brothers, Jungkook’s attention was caught by something beside the phone – a small LED display showing the arrival times of the next few trains. He saw that one was about to pass by the station without stopping in just a couple of minutes, and thought it perfect for a plan he had.

While the phone was ringing, Jin watched in dismay as the younger suddenly darted out the door on the other side of the booth. “What are you- Hey!”

Jungkook hit a nearby pillar several times with his hockey stick, drawing the attention of the horde. He then ran up the stairs to the platform with the infected clambering over the entrance gates and swarming after him. Jin stared at the scene in stunned silence, until he snapped out of his shocked state when Namjoon answered the call.

“Hello?” Came the cautious and curious greeting.

“Joon! Oh, thank goodness!” Jin expressed in relief.

“Jin hyung, is that you?” Namjoon asked, putting the call on loudspeaker for the rest with him to listen in. “We were just talking about how we had no way to contact you guys. Look, we’ve managed to get a ride, and are on the way back to the pharmacy where-”

Jin cut him off. “Forget the pharmacy, we’re at the nearby train station.”

Taehyung then piped up. “Hyung, is Jungkook alright too?”

“Right, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go check on that crazy boy.”

“Check on him? Wait, what do you-”

Jin cut the call before Taehyung could finish. The three in the rear compartment of the jeep glanced at one another in apprehension. What seemed to be happening on the other end did not sound too good. The best they could do was to get there as soon as they could.

Jimin called to the front of the vehicle. “Hoseok hyung, did you get that?”

“All of it,” came the reply. “We’re almost there.”

Hoseok was speeding over to the newly-confirmed location, and made one more sharp turn before spotting the station up ahead. There did not look to be any activity right outside the building, and he figured that they would have to park there and go inside to help the remaining two out. He was about to slow to a stop when a blood-covered infected fell right in front of the jeep from above, causing him to slam hard on the brakes instead. The rest in the vehicle were thrown forward by the sudden halt, but quickly steadied themselves. Two more then plummeted to the floor before them, each with a nasty audible crack of their bones. They scrambled towards the group in the jeep despite the injuries, but were quickly shot by Yoongi.

With all their attention on what had just happened, they did not notice the sound of the train passing by. They were only alerted to look up after, when a familiar hockey stick followed those creatures and clattered to the ground. A wave of panic washed over the group at what they saw once they did.

“Jungkook?!” Jimin exclaimed. “Oh my- What is he doing up there?”

Jungkook was beginning to regret his earlier decision as he hung from the railing on the outer side of the track. Luring the swarm onto the track to be run over by the oncoming train seemed like a good idea at the time, but he had to leap over the railing to avoid getting hit himself, and with the gunk from the collision currently coating the railing, he found himself slipping while trying to pull himself back to safety. To make things worse, once the train had cleared the station, he spotted a straggler that was missed, and it was heading straight for him.

He figured his best bet was to simply let go. Help had already arrived below, and he would survive the fall and likely just end up with a broken leg at most, right? It was better than being killed by that thing, but the thought of doing that terrified him, and rightfully so, even though he was already about to slip off the railing in a moment.

“I hate to say this, but your friend is in so much trouble,” Hoseok worriedly commented, once the infected was close enough to be seen from below.

Yoongi aimed his rifle upwards and prepared to fire. “It’s risky, but I think I can get it without hitting him.”

However, just as he was about to pull the trigger, the creature was tackled over the railing from behind, enabling him to shoot it after it fell to the ground like the first few. It turned out that Jin had made that save, and he reached over to grab Jungkook’s wrist right before he lost his grip on the railing. He managed to haul the younger over, who fell against him, causing the both of them to collapse on the blood and gut-covered track.

“Wow, uh… thanks, hyung!” Jungkook blurted out, overwhelmed by relief.

“Yeah, yeah…” Jin disgruntledly responded, pulling himself to his feet. “Tae really needs to start hanging out with more sane people. Now let’s get off the track, we don’t know when the next train is coming.”

The group below could not have been more appeased by the outcome, and Taehyung happily shouted to the two above. “Get down here, the both of you, we’re leaving!”

Just then, some barking was heard coming from a distance, and Taehyung turned to see a familiar Pomeranian running towards them. His eyes widened in pleasant surprise, and he scooped the animal up into his arms with a chuckle.

“Yeontan! I didn’t think I would ever see you again!”

Everyone else except for Namjoon stared at Taehyung in confusion, and then Jimin spoke up. “Wait, you two know each other?”

“Yeah Tae, since when did you get a dog?” Hoseok added.

“We found him only earlier today, and he saved me and Namjoon hyung back at the construction site,” Taehyung explained, and turned to Namjoon. “Can we keep him, hyung, please?”

The older sighed, and then nodded with an amused smirk. “Fine, but only because he saved our lives back there.”

“Well, I think Jin hyung will love to have him too,” Taehyung pointed out, before the mentioned emerged from the entrance of the station with Jungkook.

He eagerly put Yeontan into the jeep’s rear compartment and joined Jimin in running to their younger friend and wrapping him in a crushing hug, while Hoseok and Namjoon jogged up to Jin and embraced him in a similar way. Joyous chatter and laughter filled the spot as they expressed their delight at seeing one another alive after all they had been through. A contented smile unknowingly crept onto Yoongi’s face as he watched the heart-warming scene. However, it quickly disappeared when he heard the dreaded inhuman groans and shrieks in the distance. The commotion where they were at must have attracted more infected. He clapped twice to get the group’s attention, interrupting their happy reunion, and gestured towards the jeep.

“People, we have to go, now!”

Realizing that they were not out of danger yet, everyone hurriedly packed into the vehicle. It sped off, this time not stopping until it reached the next safe zone.