Third

Those Cheeks Got Me (F title)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy sat quietly on her bike. She didn’t know why she came here, but here she is, by the beach. It’s been a while since she came here anyway. She sighed silently remembering what happened earlier at her family’s house. It was too much even for her. She immediately felt bad for storming out of the house like that. She should apologize after she cools down. It was almost sunset. She kept on watching the sunset slowly before her eyes. The sky was turning black, she should head back soon. The ocean breeze helped her to calm down a bit. She won’t say that she wasn’t hurt by what her dad suggested. She thought she had been good all this time. She started thinking about whether it was wrong of her to stand up for herself. Marriage is a big thing. She didn’t even think about marriage. At all. She wasn’t ready. Her eyes dropped to the ground. She heard her phone ringing inside her pocket, and she chose to ignore them. She figured it was her mom.

“Sorry, mom. Maybe not now.” She whispered to herself. Her mind was replaying about what her dad said in his office earlier.

“…Bae Joohyun.”

Who didn’t know Bae Joohyun? Wendy knew who she was. She just couldn’t understand. Did Joohyun know about this? Or their parents just shoved this on their faces. Wendy couldn’t take it anymore. She screamed on the top of her lung. Hands ruffling her short hair, making them messier than they already were. She looked distorted. She sighed loudly for one last time before wearing her helmet again to head back home. She has work tomorrow. She had no time to think about this now. She started the engine and raced out to the main road. She hoped tomorrow would be a better day for her.

Mr. Bae was sipping on his coffee after dinner with his daughter. He excused himself and relaxed in the living room. He couldn’t stop thinking about Wendy. Joohyun was very happy after she knew who she was arranged to get married to. It couldn’t be more amusing for Mr. Bae to see his daughter this cheerful even at dinner earlier. She was being very cute to him. Always his precious daughter. He leaned on the couch relaxing his shoulders until he heard his phone ringing. Reaching forward to grab the phone on top of the coffee table in front of him, he saw ‘Shon’ was displayed on the screen. He immediately answered the call.

“Hey Shon! How was dinner?” He asked happily.

Mr. Shon sighed on the other line. This made Mr. Bae curious. “Um, are you okay Shon?”

“Bae. I have talked to Seungwan about… you know.”

“Oh! How did it go?” Mr. Bae was expecting good things but.

“Bad Bae. Very bad.” The friend whimpered on the phone.

“What happened Shon, tell me.”

“Seungwan walked out on me Bae. My wife gave me a silent treatment because of that. That’s what happened.” He swore his friend was crying on the other line.

Mr. Bae tried to calm down, but his brain was already thinking about what would happen. To be honest, he expected this outcome other than ‘Yes, I’ll marry Joohyun with an open heart.’.

“What should we do Bae? How can I tell Seungwan that I already got her signature on the contract?”

Yes, that was another problem. During his visit to Shon’s office. He had already prepared the contract. To keep things short, they were so happy that Shon was very sure that Seungwan would say yes to his friend's proposal. So, they decided that it was okay to copy her signature somehow without the young woman’s agreement. That didn’t happen. Instead, Seungwan was not happy about it. She still hasn’t answered their calls, it’s driving them crazy. His wife stayed true to her words; he’s sleeping on the couch tonight.

“Seungjae, maybe she should meet up with Joohyun. It’s the only way for her to get to know her.”

“Did you hear what I said? My daughter walked out on me. What would you feel if Joohyun does that Bae?” His friend was annoyed at him for the obvious.

“I-I understand. But how can we explain about the contract Shon.”

“M-Maybe we should stop- “

“No, we can’t!”

“But Junho!”

“Joohyun was very happy when she heard that she would be married to your daughter Shon. I can’t suddenly say, hey baby the wedding is cancelled. Wendy doesn’t like you. Haha.” Mr. Bae groaned loudly on the phone. He couldn’t possibly make Joohyun sad. He would do anything for the wedding to proceed.

“What are we supposed to do then Junho?”

Mr. Bae sighed. He got an idea.

The next morning feels normal to Wendy. She woke up early for work. She had a small breakfast and got into her uniform. It was 7.30 a.m., and she was already on the way to the convenience store where she works. The store was just around the corner, so she usually walked to work. Work went out like usual. She had to work overtime because one of her colleagues, Jackson, was on leave, so she had to take his shift. All this work distracted her from the headache from yesterday.

“Hello, Miss Wendy.” Wendy turned around from behind the counter to see a good-looking man.

“Hello. Sorry, but who are you?” The man was wearing a suit. Seems like a corporate fellow from Wendy’s perspective. She had never seen this man before.

The mysterious man smiled at her, reaching out his hand for a handshake. Wendy took his hand for a handshake despite being sceptical. So, she asked.

“How do you know my name?”

“Sorry, it was rude of me. Hi, my name is Suho, and I came here as per request by Mr. Bae Junho. I assume you know him?” He explained.

Wendy knew him so well. She never met him in person, but she heard that name a lot, same as his daughter. She knew she will get another headache from this meeting.

She couldn’t help but chuckle helplessly. She turned around, continuing her job arranging boxes of cigarettes inside the small glass cabinet.

“Of course, I know him. And why are you here? Is there anything I could help you with?” She asked out of politeness. She might be kind of a rebel, but her parents taught her well to always respect other people.

The man called Suho was checking out the candies and chocolates they displayed on the counter in front of him and reached out for a pack of chewing gum for himself before he continued.

“I’m here to invite you for lunch with Mr. Bae at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter