Maknaes on Top: Chapter 2

Maknaes on Top

“You like Ryeowook?”

.

I smiled and chuckled. “What are you talking about Yesung?”

The older member wasn’t laughing though. He was dead serious and I had to gulp down whatever was lodged in my throat. Yesung crossed his arms, leaning back against the wall. We were in my hotel room after a day of promotions for K.R.Y.

“I saw the way you were looking at him today and it’s not the first time.”

“It’s just skinship,” I dismissed with a shrug, “I know you guys are dating. Why would I like someone who’s taken?”

Yesung’s eyes stayed impassive but I could tell he was getting annoyed. “Maybe you think that he’ll choose you over me eventually? That’s the very least I could expect from the ‘Evil Maknae’ after all.”

Normally that nickname would make me smile but in that context I could only feel a pang of hurt. That turned into anger quickly enough. Who was he to accuse me of being any less than a good person? Did he seriously think I was low enough to act on my feelings?

“Think a little Kyuhyun,” Yesung sighed, “just tell the truth so we don’t have to play this weird guessing game anymore.”

I stared at him for a long moment. Why did it matter if I confessed what I felt? Would it change anything? Well, there was only one way to find out. “Fine. I like Ryeowook. Happy?”

“Why would that make me happy?” he retorted, irritation lighting his gaze. . “But I’m glad you finally said it. Now I can tell you to straight out that it’s useless.”

“Excuse me?”

Yesung pushed away from the wall, reaching out to put a hand on my shoulder. A great urge to shake him off overcame me but I suppressed it. “Kyu, you’re like a little brother to me. I don’t want you to be hurt by continuing this little crush of yours.” The annoyance was beginning to fade from his manner and I almost believed his sympathetic speech.

“It’s not a crush, hyung,” I rolled my eyes, removing his hand as politely as I could, which wasn’t very polite might I add. “Ryeowook and I have—”

“—no you don’t.”

I gaped for a second, unable to fathom how he could have so much confidence in their relationship. Was it that strong?

“You and Ryeowook have nothing when compared to Ryeowook and me,” Yesung stated blatantly with a shake of his head. “From the moment we met we’ve been attracted to one another. Maybe if you had been there at the beginning he would’ve been yours…but you weren’t there. You’re too late, Kyu.” He didn’t attempt to offer me a comforting hand, just turned slightly towards the door. “Just give up before you’re hurt. He’s nice but he knows how important I am in his life.”

“I already told you I wasn’t going to do anything!” I snapped, pride taking over. In that moment it didn’t matter to me whether or not Ryeowook actually would someday love me. All that I cared about was saving some face and stopping Yesung from using that pitying tone. It was really starting to piss me off. “How many times do I have to say that? Do you want me to prove it or something?” I laughed bitterly, glaring at his backside.

Yesung stopped, tilted his head back and nodded, “Yeah. Stop flirting with him. Stop all of that nonsensical whispering and touching. It makes me sick every time I see it.” He grabbed the door handle and turned it.

“Fine,” I shot back, focused on beating him at his own game. Little did I know how much I would regret saying that.

“You’re not lying?” he prompted skeptically. “You’re not going to get possessive?”

“No.”

“Not even when I kiss him and hug him?”

“No.”

“Not even when you know where I’m going to sleep tonight?”

I clenched my hands. “…No.”

“Not even when you know who—”

“Just shut up and get out,” I cut in, hearing venom in every word, “I already said I won’t so stop freaking out. He’s yours. I get it already.”

Yesung smiled softly, moving past the threshold, “Good.” Then the door shut and I slumped onto the bed. Why the had I just agreed to hell on earth?

 

A year passed without me doing anything. I stayed away from touching and whispering no matter how much Ryeowook came by to tell me something funny or interesting. It was difficult, nearly impossible, but I managed somehow.

All of that hard work went to hell after a No Other performance during 2010. Unfortunately, I had been placed next to Ryeowook and right behind Yesung. What could be worse? There was no chance to move around as the other side of the stage was occupied by other bands and the rest of Super Junior was perfectly lined already.

Then it happened. I knew it would happen eventually. It was just a matter of time.

A sweet slender hand touched my shoulder but I ignored it. I could feel his eyes glued to me but I did my best to listen to what was going on around me. That wasn’t working at all. I just wanted to turn around and hug Ryeowook. How well would that go over with Yesung later?

Finally, Leeteuk was given the microphone and I knew my chance to be ignorant of Ryeowook had slipped away.

“What’s up, Wook?” I managed, trying not to raise any suspicions.

Ryeowook flicked his Bonamana hair out of face and smiled up at me so adorably I could’ve melted. Then again, I’m Cho Kyuhyun. I don’t do that sissy stuff...most of the time.

“An E.L.F. made a banner for you,” he whispered, pointing out into the audience, “It’s really pretty so I wanted to show you.”

I nodded stiffly, hands clasped in front of me, back straight. “Ah, I see.”

“Is something wrong?” Ryeowook asked, leaning towards me until we were touching.

“No, everything’s cool,” I assured, nudging him sincerely.

He wasn’t buying it though. A sad smile turned his lips. “We used to talk a lot Kyu…why won’t you open up to me?”

I glanced forward, seeing Yesung twitching and shifting around. Abruptly, clapping drowned out everything and I quickly reached out to grip Ryeowook’s shoulder, leaning in close to his ear. “It’s not like that. Please believe me when I say it’s not like that at all.”

“O-Oh?” he tilted his head, confusion wiping his features. “Then what’s going on…?”

“We’ll talk later,” I whispered.

Ryeowook grabbed my arm, lips parted to form an oval. “You’re not lying are you Kyu? I want to talk to you. It doesn’t make me happy when you’re being so distant…I feel like we haven’t been talking as much lately…”

“Everything will be fine,” I said softly.