Chapter 3

Nepenthe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Veera woke with a start, panting heavily as she got up. Another nightmare. She was slowly getting irked with how frequent her nightmares are getting nowadays.

 

She tried catching her breathe, taking slow and deep breaths in and out. Feeling herself slowly calm down, she looked down and immediately frowned.

 

Her shirt was soaked all the way through. Veera inwardly groaned. How many shirts does this one make?

                                                                                                                             

Just as she moved to change out of her shirt now when something caught her eye.

 

A scar just above her left waist that became slightly visible through the wet shirt. She knew exactly how she got it, it was why she woke up in the first place.

 

Veera could almost feel it throb at the memory

 

They torched her with a wolf symbol pressing it hard on her skin. Almost as if they were mocking her when they chose that specific metal out of all the “symbols” they had there. No, she knew they were

 

She remembered the smell of her own burnt skin. The wound was more than just skin deep and the pain was excruciating, unbearable to the point where she wanted to shout and beg for them to stop.

 

But she didn’t, she gritted her teeth tightly, not wanting any words to come out of because she knew the words that would come out of would trample on that last ounce of dignity she had left of herself.

 

They didn’t give her time to rest even after that. They would press the burnt area hard occasionally, or pour alcohol over it just to hear her scream out loud.

 

They did anything and everything they could to her because they took pleasure in hearing their victims screaming and pleading for them to stop, like music to their ears.

 

But Veera never allowed herself to give in to the pain and plead. No, she didn’t want to give her captors any more satisfaction of seeing her in a worse state than what she’s in.

 

Instead she took it all with a blank face and anger filled eyes, clenching her teeth, only ever screaming when the pain becomes too much before passing out and when she wakes up after, hell starts all over again.

 

It was sick, how they toyed with her, decorating her body with numerous scars and bruises.

 

She lifted up the shirt and lightly traced over it. Feeling the bumps and curves of the raised skin. She actually kind of liked how it healed. If she was being honest to herself, other than the fact that trauma and all the horrific memory that came along with it, she felt proud having the scar.

 

It was like her medal of honor of some sorts. She snorted at herself. Repulsive but it serves as a reminder to her, how she came out of that hellhole with a still functioning, albeit barely, self.

                                                                                                                   

She shook herself from the memory and sighed, she’s had enough of reminiscing in her dreams anyways.

 

She looked around her dark living room. She guessed it was probably just before sunrise before checking her phone to see she was right. It was 5 am, only 3 hours of sleep. .

 

Since she knows she won’t be able to get any more sleep, she decided to go about her day. Veera stood up and got started with fixing her couch. Picking up the pieces of clothing that was just sprawled on the floor of her living room before heading to the bathroom to wash up.

 

The sun was starting to peek out from the sky when she got out of her building dressed in a black muscle tee paired with some jogging pants

 

 

Veera ran an hour longer than usual, finishing up with a walk around the Han River. She was breathing pretty heavily but the burn on her lungs and legs was exactly what she needed. Checking her watch, it was almost 8 am.

 

Breakfast.

 

 

----------

 

 

Veera took a long hot bath just for added measure before stepping into her dresser.

                                                                                                                   

It was one of her favorite parts of her penthouse suite, taking up a whole quarter of her apartment. The whole room was modernly designed with dark tones and white marbled flooring equipped with built in speakers and set-lights giving off a comforting but luxurious feel.

 

On the left side was a glass wardrobe filled with all her suits and dress shirts hung up neatly and drawers filled with her socks and ties. On the right side of the room was where her casual clothes were placed.

 

Her hoodies were arranged from light to dark and hung up on the upper part of the shelf and her pants below. Her dress shirts and casual shirts were all conveniently folded and placed in the drawers.

 

On the front side was a full body mirror with small shelves on either side.

 

Right in the middle of the room was an Island with a see-through glass on top. Layers of drawers was filled with her accessories. The top drawer was for her watches, second was for sunglasses and the third was for her other accessories.

 

Lastly, just right behind the Island was a white leather couch with a side table.

 

Did she mention she had a speaker installed? Just as she connected her phone to the speaker, it rang. She picked it up without looking at the caller id.

                                                                                                                       

“Salvatore speaking”

 

Black seems like a good color for some reason.

 

She suddenly remembered the girls and the hangover they’d probably have so she took a mental note to bring them some food and coffee on the way.

 

“Good morning Captain, there will be some minor changes regarding your meeting with the Lieutenant.”

 

She froze for a second before asking “What do you mean?”

 

“The Lieutenant has requested that you join in the conference call that will be taking place later as well.”

 

“I see…”

 

She stayed quiet for a while, tapping her fingers on the glass of the island.

 

“Did he mention anything else?”

 

“--- He said to come dressed properly”

 

“Roger. Thanks”

 

With that she ended the call and turned to the shelf just beside the full body mirror. She slid it open, revealing a familiar black army uniform, with guns and badges hanging on the side in a tidy fashion and combat boots placed neatly below.

 

Not having worn the uniform ever since she got transferred, she found it a bit awkward looking at her own reflection now.

 

Leaving her suite, she went down to the basement and hopped on her matte black Benz Jeep with smooth black leather seats and darkly tinted windows. It was her favorite car out of the three she owns.

 

Veera dropped by a specific store for the girls on the way. She wasn’t sure what the girls liked so she ended up buying four different kinds of hangover soup, each good for 4 people (she heard the girls could eat their fill).

 

Since Veera already planned on stopping by idol’s house, she might as well bring them coffee so she made a quick call to Minjoo unnie (they exchanged phone numbers last night. She also got Seola Unnie’s sometime during the night) and asked what the girls liked.

                                                                                                                   

Grabbing the drinks, she placed everything at the backseat, careful not to spill anything and went on her way.

 

She called Seola immediately as she reached, not wanting to risk waking everyone up if she doorbells.

 

Ring… Ring…. Ri—

 

“Hello?” A raspy and husky voice groggily answered

 

Veera felt a bit guilty hearing the older woman’s voice that was still clearly laced with sleep.

 

“Unnie. It’s Veera, I’m sorry for calling so early” she spoke gently

 

“No, it’s okay… what is it?” Seola answered yawning

 

“It’s just… Could you come open your door?”

 

“What door?”

 

“Your door. Um… I’m right outside. I just have something to give you”

 

The line was silent for a minute before Veera heard a voice before she heard her answer and ending the call

 

“Sure. Wait a minute”

 

— click —

 

Veera got off her car, taking the drinks from the back seat before heading towards the door.

 

Veera saw the door open just a bit, revealing the idol still in her pajamas with her eyes still droopy and her hair slightly tousled but she still somehow looked pretty.

 

Veera chuckled at the cute sight. She lifted her hands that she was carrying, showing off the things she had to the older woman and grinning proudly.

 

Seola just stared blankly at her seeing the younger girl look extremely dashing in her full uniform complete with the cap. Taking a moment to process things, she rubbed her eyes and took a double look at Veera, just to make sure she wasn’t seeing things.

 

Seola’s eyes widened in shock “Is that-?” forming an ‘O’ “Wow”.

 

Veera doesn’t know if it was her uniform, which practically screamed ‘army’, that stunned the older woman speechless or because of the bags of food and drinks she currently has in her arms.

 

Nonetheless, Veera somehow felt a little proud at the way the older woman was studying her up and down, looking at her hands before looking back at her, still with her eyes wide.

 

Veera cleared in an attempt to break the silence.

 

That shook Seola out of her trance. “I’m sorry, it’s just… you look… Also, what’s with those?” She pointed to the bags in Veera’s.

 

“Well... First of all, is it okay if I put this down first?”

 

Seola laughed “Fine okay”

 

The older woman made way for Veera before following her to the table.

 

Veera placed the drinks and food down before turning back to face Seola grinning sheepishly “So... I know how bad hangovers could get and since I was the one who brought you girls home. I thought having these might ease the pain a bit.”

 

Seola clicked her tongue “You didn’t have to” but the smile on her face says otherwise.

 

The captain just shrugged before removing the soups from the paper bag and arranging them neatly on the table.

 

“Thank you for this” Seola said softly, extremely touched at the thoughtful gesture.

 

“No problem” Veera answered smiling. Now that she was done with her agenda here, Veera decided to go.

 

“I’m sorry for waking you up. You can go back to sleep now unnie”

 

“What? Why? What about you?” Seola looked at the younger woman confused

 

“I have to go somewhere else. I just dropped by to give you this”

                                                                                                                   

Seola nodded and thanked the younger woman again as they walked back to the door “It’ll be our treat next time”

 

Veera was about to retort when Seola beat her to it.

 

“You think I’ll let this slide after buying us all this?” Seola pointedly glared at her

 

The younger woman just laughed and acquiesced “Okay then” before heading out and waving goodbye to the older girl.

 

 

Once she got in her car, she drove towards the base.

 

She arrived at the barracks and one of the soldiers escorted her towards one of the meeting halls where the Lieutenant was said to be already waiting and where the meeting would take place.

 

They arrived at the door and the soldier saluted before leaving her alone. Veera took a deep breath and fixed her clothes one more time before knocking on the door.

 

“Come in” a deep voice answered from the other side.

 

She opened the doors and saluted to the Lieutenant who nodded at her in acknowledgement.

 

“Sir?”

 

The Lieutenant waved her off before saying “Let’s talk after the conference”

 

Veera saw him turn around to the big screen behind him, that Veera now just noticed. The screen was showing an incoming call from overseas.

 

“For now” He looked at her sideways “Let’s talk to these old geezers eh?”

 

Veera chuckled and nodded. Standing right behind the Lieutenant, she saw him answer the call. Once she saw men and a few women on the screen, she heard the Lieutenant deep and powerful voice call out.

 

“Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome.”

 

 

 

——————

 

 

 

- WJSN’s Dorm -

 

 

After Veera left, Seola quickly placed the drinks inside the fridge before returning to sleep.

 

It wasn’t until noon that the girls woke up one by one. Eunseo came out to the living room with tousled hair, her eyes were still half closed. She heated herself a glass of water before proceeding to sit at the kitchen counter.

 

Dayoung came out of the room next, with a hand holding her pounding head. She plopped herself next to Eunseo, who was staring into space while drinking.

 

Dayoung leaned her forehead on the other woman’s shoulder.

 

“My head hurts” She whined, her voice coming out raspy.

 

Eunseo just softly patted the younger’s head softly, having no desire to speak as her head was lightly throbbing as well.

 

Dawon, Luda and Yeoreum came out of the room in a better state than the two. They all gathered around the kitchen counter.

 

“Morning unnie” Yeoreum softly greeted.

 

“Morning, hangover?” Eunseo asked

 

Dawon stood on the other side of Dayoung, while Yeoreum and Luda stood facing the three on the other side of the counter.

 

Dawon Dayoung’s head lightly “It’s there but it’s bearable”

 

The other two nodded agreeing silently.

 

“I’m never going to drink again” Dayoung groaned earning chuckles from all of them.

 

Seola came out fresh from shower. She saw the girls sitting around the table all silent and unlike their noisy selves.

 

She chuckled, inwardly happy by the rare silence brought by the hangover in the morning.

 

Entering the kitchen, all of them greeted Seola softly. She patted Luda’s before opening the fridge and taking out the drinks.

 

Seeing the drinks being placed on the counter the girls were confused and slightly surprised “You went out earlier unnie?” Luda asked.

 

She shook her head “I didn’t”

 

Yeoreum looked like she was about to ask more when Seola spoke first

 

“Eunseo-yah, can you go and wake the other girls up?” she asked softly before directly going the dining area where the table was and proceeded heating the soups, to the absolute delight of the girls.

 

“Nae~” Eunseo stood up forcing Dayoung to get up from her leaning position making her whine out loud. Dawon took pity on Day

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter