The Mock Battle

Cybernetic Chaos

 

Section Seven was a beautiful place. It was new, and it has state-of-the-art facilities such as new gyms, new training ground, fighting simulations, and many more. Kyungsoo thought that the budget to set up this place must be pretty high.

 

It was rumored that Section Seven was set up in a haste, such that all the things in their facilities were transferred from other camps within the TSAB. But they were all brought together by the connections of Colonel Irene. Even the Commanders, Captain Junmyeon and Captain Jongin were her close friends. The rest of the sub-commanders were also in her inner circle of connections. But indeed, all of them were the Ace of the aces.

 

Speaking of the Aces, today is the day where they will officially initiate into Section Seven. Kyungsoo tried to swallow his blush as he straightened the red tie against his grey uniform. He didn’t know it before, but after the test, Commander Irene told him that both him and Baekhyun will be under Captain Junmyeon. He knew Junmyeon as Suho from a long time ago as Junmyeon used to serve under his father’s deployment as an Aerial Mage. When Kyungsoo was young, Junmyeon would often buy him candies and ice-creams.

 

He also remembered Commander Irene. She was a powerful Aerial Mage with special magic, wielding the powerful Tomb of the Starry Night; a magical grimoire filled with ancient magic from Belkan times. On the night before his mother disappeared, Kyungsoo was visiting his father, and there was an airport fire. Commander Irene took charge of commanding the rescue team that night, and a ground mage called Lucas who saved him from the fire. Lucas who was there is now one of the investigators serving under Irene in Section Seven as well. There were just too many talented people in Section Seven, and Kyungsoo was afraid that he would find it hard to fit in.

 

“There you are Kyungja-ya~” Kyungsoo heard a voice call out from behind him.

 

“Private Byun Baekhyun,” Kyungsoo replied as he turned around to face the older boy. Yes, Baekhyun was older than Kyungsoo; he found out after the exam while they were chatting. Kyungsoo enlisted a year earlier as he was born in January.

 

“Kyungie, I really do wish that you will stop being so formal with me,” Baekhyun pouted.

 

“We are in a military organization,” Kyungsoo deadpanned. “Regimentation is part of our daily life. Deal with it.”

 

“But can’t you just drop the rank? It is not like I am someone higher rank than you or whatnot,” Baekhyun said as he casually slung an arm around Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo tried to shrug off the older male’s arm, but Baekhyun only pulled Kyungsoo closer.

 

“I swear, Byun Baekhyun-”

 

“Aha! You dropped the rank!”

 

“-if you don’t keep your hands to yourself-”

 

“Come’on, we are buddies.”

 

“I will hit you with a vibration shatter,” Kyungsoo stopped walking and looked at Baekhyun. Baekhyun swallowed, and slowly retracted his arm.

 

“Okay. Fine. Geez. No vibration shatter please. I don’t want to die,” Baekhyun grimaced. Kyungsoo let out a breath that he didn’t notice that he was holding in. “But please, let us drop our formality, okay? I mean, I call you Kyung-ja because you are cute. You can give me a nickname too! Nickname is a sign of closeness. And on the battlefield, we need to be close. We have to trust each other, don’t we?”

 

Kyungsoo eyed the older male for a moment, and then he relented. “Okay, fine. Then what do you want me to call you?”

 

“You can start by calling me Baekhyunnie!” Baekhyun smiled.

 

---

 

The inauguration ceremony was short. And it wasn’t as formal as Kyungsoo thought it would be. Commander Irene gave a speech about how in Section Seven, it is different from other places. Other places focused a lot on regimentation and ceremonies, but in Section Seven, Commander Irene said that it is family. After all, everyone in Section Seven are elites, working on mission critical exercises. Therefore, regimentation is needed, but not critically enforced as people in Section Seven have more important things to worry about.

 

After that, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were officially sworn in. And they received their ranks as Lance Corporals, with the both of them upgraded to B-Rank Mages.

 

When the ceremony was over, there was a buffet lunch with delicious food. Kyungsoo thought that he ate a lot, but Baekhyun ate more. What can he say, the teriyaki grilled eel omu rice was delicious, and if he could, he would go for thirds and fourths. The two of them sat together as Baekhyun was stuffing himself with eclairs when someone suddenly creeped up to stand behind them.

 

Kyungsoo turned, and he immediately blushed.

 

“Suho h-hyung,” Kyungso stuttered. Junmyeon looked down at the younger boy and gave him a pat on the head.

 

“Kyungsoo, you have grown up,” Junmyeon smiled. Right beside Kyungsoo, Baekhyun froze. He swallowed the éclair and turned to face Junmyeon. Kyungsoo could see that Baekhyun lost his cheerful demeanour all of a sudden.

 

“Captain Junmyeon,” Baekhyun said softly. Junmyeon smiled and reached a hand to pat Baekhyun on his shoulder. Baekhyun visibly tensed up at the contact.

 

“Baekhyun-ah, you have grown so much,” Junmyeon said. “I am so happy to see you again.”

 

Baekhyun said nothing in response. Kyungsoo looked at Baekhyun and could see the older male gritting his teeth, as if trying not to say something.

 

“When I saw your buster magic that you used to destroy the motherboard drone, I was so happy. I guess Baekbom taught you some of my magic as well,” Junmyeon said softly as he slowly looked away. “Well, I will be going for now. See you guys tomorrow morning at 0800 HRs sharp for practice. Kyungsoo, do eat more, I know how much you love food. And just between us, I can tell you that food at Section Seven is always great!” Junmyeon winked.

 

“Yes, Suho hyung! See you tomorrow!” Kyungsoo blushed. Junmyeon patted him on the head once more and left. Then Kyungsoo turned to Baekhyun. “Ya, what is wrong with you.”

 

“Nothing,” Baekhyun said, standing up. “I am full, shall we head back to our bunk?” Baekhyun smiled, returning to his usual self. Kyungsoo shrugged, and stood up too.

 

---

 

In their bunk, there was a two-tiered bunk bed. Kyungsoo claimed the bottom bunk as he was too lazy to climb, but that was fine with Baekhyun because he wanted the top bunk anyways. (“You can bottom for me, and I will be your top.” “Shut up, you disgust me.”)

 

It was a simple bunk with a balcony that overlooks the back part of Section Seven, facing the sea. If this wasn’t a military compound, it could easily pass off as a beach house.

 

The toilet had communal showers. But as Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were the only forwards in Section Seven at that time, the other support staffs are mostly 8 to 5, and the commanders, technicians, and other combat engineers were all staying on different levels, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo had the toilet of their level all to themselves.

 

Other than that, the facilities were really great that both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo had nothing to complain about.

 

---

 

For the next few months, both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo trained with their commanders. As they were the only forwards in their formation, they worked really closely to their superiors.

 

Captain Junmyeon and Captain Jongin were both ranged mages.

 

Junmyeon specializes in busters and blasts; the skills necessary for an aerial mage because when aerial mages are in the sky, they have no one to support them except for their forwards on the ground. And so, long range busters, or even axel shooters are essential for them. He was also able to cast breakers when needed, though the Double S Rank Magic shouldn’t be used recklessly as even the slightest tilt in angle causing the aim to be uncalibrated can cause a drastic change to the local landmark.

 

Jongin on the other hand had the special skills of summoning. He specializes in summoning alchemical chains; a high-level form of summoning magic. This is because usual summoners summons organic beings; dragons, phoenixes, even insects, to do their bidding. But summoning organic beings have risks of the summons growing out of control, and it is dangerous. Jongin combined the summoning magic and infused them with inorganic matter, and so, he could summon magic-inforced chains to trap or attack the enemy, and he could also summon a stone golem to do his bidding. Creation was his main magic, and it was beautiful.

 

The vice-commanders, Lieutenant Chanyeol and Lieutenant Sehun are physical attackers.

 

Chanyeol had a special skill known as Magica de Valkyrae. And his skill allowed him to spontaneously create physical weapons out of thin air to strike his opponents. As such, he was a weapon master, extremely skilled in sword fighting, hammers, maces, spears, polearms, etc. the list goes on. But his favourite was a giant hammer charged with flames. Kyungsoo got a direct hit from him once, and it was painful. The pain didn’t just end with the impact, but the burn that came after was the core of Chanyeol’s magic. Anything that got bludgeoned by his weapons would feel a sear as a side effect.

 

Sehun on the other hand has speed. He was nicknamed as The Blessed Wind of Section Seven. He specializes in quick stabbing sword fighting and healing magic. Legend has it that he used to be a really infamous swordsman, but he started learning healing magic after a tragic mission that resulted in him being the only mage left alive in his detail. And with his healing magic, he could heal himself and keep on fighting.

 

During training, Baekhyun would train with Junmyeon and Jongin as they were ranged mages, and Kyungsoo would train with Chanyeol and Sehun.

 

Together, the six of them were the elite formation of Section Seven, the main attackers. Two forwards, two ground mages, and two aerial mages. And their formation was called EXO.

 

---

 

“EXO-3 and EXO-4, that is enough! I guess we will end the training here today.”

 

Junmyeon announced as his trio approached Kyungsoo’s team, halting the training between Kyungsoo, Chanyeol, and Sehun. Kyungsoo was still practicing with Chanyeol on the different types of magical barriers when Junmyeon came over.

 

“It has been 4 months since we have our new forwards train with us,” Junmyeon said. “And as what we always do in the TSAB, we will be having out quarterly checks. This time, Commander Irene told us to do a mock battle!”

 

“M-mock battle?” Kyungsoo asked. Chanyeol laughed.

 

“That’s right,” Chanyeol said. “Usually, we will fight against our captains.”

 

“In a friendly way, of course.” Sehun added.

 

“Why? Scared?” Jongin asked.

 

“N-no,” Kyungsoo stuttered. Junmyeon smiled gently.

 

“It is nothing much. I won’t shoot magic that kills at you. Anyways, we will have Sehun here with us on the field to heal us if needed, okay?” Junmyeon said. “Also, Baekhyun has learned a lot these past few months. I am sure the both of you can protect yourselves against me, isn’t that right, Baekhyun?”

 

“Yes, I will definitely protect Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun said quietly. Kyungsoo noticed that Baekhyun was always quiet and serious around Junmyeon, but maybe it was just a superior-inferior complex between the two of them.

 

“That is great! Then, we will see each other again today at 0900 HRs. Use tonight to rest, and don’t push yourself too hard, okay?” Junmyeon smiled.

 

“Yes sir!”

 

---

 

That night, Baekhyun went for additional shooting art practices as he normally did. Kyungsoo showered and was prepared to rest early. However, when the clock showed 20:45HRs and Baekhyun wasn’t back yet, Kyungsoo decided to find the older boy.

 

He found the older boy in the shooting range, drenched in sweat as he shot the dummy target again and again. Baekhyun’s brows were furrowed in concentration as two dozen of phantom bullets were charged in the air around him. Baekhyun fired one after another at the dummies in front of him, each one hitting the dummies straight in the chest in repeated successions.

 

Kyungsoo watched as the older trained; as though he had something to prove. But when Baekhyun finished firing the last bullet, he noticed Kyungsoo standing at the door, and lowered his guns.

 

“Sup, Kyungja, wanna try some?” He smirked, gesturing to the guns. Kyungsso shook his head.

 

“It is late and you didn’t come back,” Kyungsoo said while walking towards the older boy. “Was wondering if you died somewhere. I wasn’t really keen on wanting someone to find your body after it starts to stink up the place. That kind of smell won’t go away for years.”

 

“Aww, you don’t have to be that curt,” Baekhyun said, as he put his guns down on the stand beside him. “I know you care for me deeply.” He said, putting his arm over Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

 

“Yuck, you’re sweaty!” Kyungsoo groaned as he pulled away.

 

“You can always shower again,” Baekhyun winked. “With me.”

 

“You are gross!” Kyungsoo said. Baekhyun only stuck out his tongue. “Hurry go shower, we have a mock battle tomorrow.” Kyungsoo said, hitting Baekhyun’s arms. The older guy agreed.

 

The pair walked out of the gym and back to their bunk in comfortable silence. Baekhyun collected his stuff. “Want to join me? Would love some back scrubbing.”

 

Kyungsoo contemplated, and relented, following Baekhyun out of the room.

 

As they undressed, Kyungsoo could see that Baekhyun had muscle tapes taped all over his back; a sign of overstressing. It wasn’t new, as they showered together often, but still, the sight made Kyungsoo worry. However, he said nothing as Baekhyun removed the tapes.

 

At the same time, Baekhyun eyed Kyungsoo as the younger boy undressed to join him in the showers. He could see bruises that the black military clothes hid from exchanging blows with Chanyeol. But he said nothing as well.

 

The pair stepped into the rain shower and allowed the warm water to hit their skin. Kyungsoo squeezed out some of the shower gel from the bottle he brought and lathered it onto the sponge. The citrus-fougere scent of the shower gel bloomed in the air. He turned off the tap to begin scrubbing Baekhyun’s body.

 

Slowly and gently, Kyungsoo used the sponge and scrubbed the older boy’s back carefully, to release the tension in the muscles as well as not to hurt him. Baekhyun couldn’t help it but allowed a little moan to escape his lips. The two sat in the showers in comfortable silence as Kyungsoo scrubbed away. But Kyungsoo’s curiosity eventually broke the silence.

 

“Why do you always try so hard?” Kyungsoo asked as he traced a finger over Baekhyun’s back. Even though Baekhyun had his back facing Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo knew that the older male was taken by surprise from the way Baekhyun’s skin tensed under his fingers.

 

“I could ask you the same,” Baekhyun said. “Your bruises look painful. If people didn’t know better they would have thought that you were abused by us.”

 

“Well, I am a forward with physical skills. Getting hit is part of my job description,” Kyungsoo jested. “But you, you’re always going for extra trainings at night on your own. Just what exactly are you trying to prove?”

 

Baekhyun turned silent for a moment. Kyungsoo stopped scrubbing and turned the tap back on. The water fell from the tap, and for a moment, Kyungsoo was glad that the sound drowned the silence between them. Baekhyun turned around and looked at Kyungsoo. The water was slowly washing away the soap off his skin. He used a hand tapped Kyungsoo’s cheek adoringly, which the younger guy allowed.

 

“You don’t look all so unbroken yourself. I could throw the curveball back and ask you, why are you trying so hard?” Baekhyun asked. Then, he washed away the soap from his body. Kyungsoo did as well.

 

“I do it because of love,” Kyungsoo said. “My mother went missing years ago while she was a ground mage in TSAB. My father, an admiral, he gave up on searching for leads and closed the case as a cold case. But I would like to find out why.” Baekhyun turned the tap off and stepped out to towel dry himself.

 

This was the first time that Kyungsoo had ever open up to someone outside his family about his mother’s disappearance. He could tell that Baekhyun was struggling about sharing too. But this was the moment for them to open up. If not, when?

 

Baekhyun was quiet as he slid his pajamas on. Kyungsoo too. Then, they slowly walked back to their bunk. Once inside, Baekhyun decompressed. He sat on Kyungsoo’s bed, Kyungsoo too, their knees touching each other. Baekhyun looked into Kyungsoo’s eyes.

 

“I know about your mother’s disappearance. I also know about your father, Admiral Do,” Baekhyun said. “And that is because my brother, together with Captain Junmyeon, was under your father.”

 

Kyungsoo’s lips went dry. He didn’t know about it before.

 

“Where is he now?” Kyungsoo asked quietly. Baekhyun swallowed.

 

“Dead,” He replied.

 

“H-how?”

 

“His name was Enforcer Byun Baekbom, under your father, investigating the disappearance of your mother and her team of talented mages,” Baekhyun said quietly. “He worked as a ground mage in the TSAB under your father’s division. Your father was lying about not having any leads. He closed the case because many enforcers and ground mages under him died or went missing while investigating the case. The breaking point was when a Rank AAA Mage that he was really close to went missing. That was when he decided that it wasn’t worth it to continue on the case.”

 

Kyungsoo gulped. He wasn’t sure of how to respond. His father never told him any of these.

 

“How did you know all these?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“I had an uncle who was working in the Infinite Library. He retired, but he kept a close eye on the cases. As family, he thought that I needed to know,” Baekhyun said. He reached out and held Kyungsoo’s hand in his before continuing.

 

“Your mother disappeared months before my brother died. He was sent to investigate the case, and he found the lair of an interdimensional criminal whose expertise is in the creation and modification of human life; combat cyborgs. She was known as Doctor B. Mamba. She took the blueprints of Project F from Sooman, another crazy doctor who died years ago, and perfected the evil biotechnology of creating combat cyborgs using human material.”

 

Kyungsoo’s breath hitched.

 

“My brother died because he was ahead of his detail. He was the only one who made it there before the criminal escaped. And since he was there alone first, he faced the criminal alone. But the enemy was too strong. It only took 7 minutes of them crossing blows. His team was just 7 minutes too late. The rest of the detail only arrived when he was about to die, and the enemy, Dr. Mamba, escaped.” Baekhyun said, blinking away his tears.

 

“Captain Junmyeon was the one who found his body. And when he brought the body back, the government deemed those who died to be dishonorable. It is because they found the lair but allowed the enemy to escape. And so, even though he died, he had a dishonorable discharge,” Baekhyun sobbed quietly. “He died such an unfair death, and after he died, he still had to face that kind of humiliation.”

 

Baekhyun looked up at Kyungsoo, “And you are asking me why am I working so hard? Everyone in this division had special skills. They have special magic. They are the Ace of aces. And even you, you are a forward, but you are still a retired admiral’s son. But me?” Baekhyun shook his head. “I have nothing, and I am nothing but the brother of a disgraced enforcer who died while failing his mission. And you still asked me why am I working this hard? I need to be good- scratch that, I need to do my best.”

 

Kyungsoo pulled Baekhyun into his embrace and his hair lightly. “I am so sorry.” Baekhyun relented and sobbed into the thin material of Kyungsoo’s shirt.

 

After a long time of shushing and telling Baekhyun that it is okay, Baekhyun fell asleep while cuddling with Kyungsoo on the lower bunk of the bed that night.

 

---

 

When the first light hit, Kyungsoo felt warm, like a flower petal flowing down a stream in the summer. He could feel a pair of warm arms around him as he recalled the events of the day before. He buried his face deeper into the chest of the older boy.

 

“Wake up, sleepy head,” Baekhyun whispered. Kyungsoo tensed. Baekhyun knew he was awake. He sat up slowly, feeling warm all over.

 

“Wow, I can’t believe that we slept all the way till morning,” Kyungsoo stretched lazily. The clock said 06:45HRs.

 

“Yeah,” Baekhyun flushed. “In all honesty, this was one of the best sleep I’ve had since I enlisted.” Baekhyun’s comment made Kyungsoo blush, but he decided to ignore the blood that was rushing up to his cheeks. He cleared his throat.

 

“We should wash up,” Kyungsoo said.

 

“Y-yeah, sure,” Baekhyun replied.

 

The two made their way to the toilet, washed their faces and took a quick shower, before heading down to the canteen for breakfast. Breakfast that day was great; cheese croissant with scrambled eggs. It was a sign of a good day. In between bites, Kyungsoo remembered Baekhyun’s words from yesterday. And he felt determined.

 

“Baekhyunnie,” Kyungsoo said, lowering his croissant. Baekhyun looked up at the younger boy, scrambled eggs half-chewed.

 

“What?” Baekhyun replied with his mouth full. Usually, Kyungsoo would be annoyed by that chewing sound combined with talking, but he let it slide that morning.

 

“We have to win this mock battle,” Kyungsoo said. Baekhyun saw the fire in the younger boy’s eyes. “We will prove to the instructors today that we are good enough!”

 

Baekhyun smiled. “Yes!” He put out his hand, and Kyungsoo gave it a firm shake.

 

“You are the tactician between the two of us. Do you have any plans?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

Baekhyun looked Kyungsoo in the eyes, “Do you trust me?”

 

“I trust you.” Kyungsoo said. Baekhyun smiled.

 

“Okay, so here’s the plan.”

 

---

 

Baekhyun’s plans were risky, but it was worth the shot. And to Kyungsoo, it seemed like the additional trainings the older boy did on his own initiative had paid off. Without the instructors noticing, Baekhyun actually mastered the art of condensing his magic into a magical dagger with his gun, and this gives the two of them a competitive edge as the instructors had only known that the older boy uses ranged magic, and for the past 4 months, he mainly trained in shooting arts with the instructors.

 

The main plan is simple. It would be to use Kyungsoo as a distraction. And when Captain Junmyeon was distracted, Baekhyun would fire a barrage of bullets at the Captain, before dashing and holding him at knife point, causing Junmyeon to yield.

 

It sounded risky, but it was a chance that both of them were willing to take.

 

When they reached the training ground, they saw that their Technician, Master Sergeant Wendy, had already set the place up. And today’s battlefield was simulated with abandoned buildings. Captain Junmyeon was standing there in his full battle gear. He had his magic staff at ready, and his full body armor was on as well. He greeted the pair with a smile.

 

“Welcome to Section Seven’s very first mock battle! I hope that you are excited!” He chirped. Baekhyun eyed the surroundings, and he saw that the other instructors were standing at an elevated platform with 3WO Yeri and Commander Irene. He gulped. If the commander was here to review his training, then all the more they had to win.

 

“Yes sir, we are ready,” Kyungsoo replied. Baekhyun just gave a curt nod.

 

“Good!” Junmyeon said. “The mission is to either strike me down, knock me out with magic, bind and restrain me, or make it so that I surrender as you would do to an enemy on the field. However, in this mock battle, I want you to recall your trainings. Do not ever put your partners in danger. I don’t want to see any risky moves that might injure your allies, okay?”

 

“Yes sir!” Kyungsoo chirped.

 

“Good! Let’s begin!”

 

Junmyeon flew into the air, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun split up.

 

Kyungsoo generated a pair of magical boots with his magic that helped him to dash around quickly. Two tiny tornadoes appeared at his feet. The tornadoes boosted his speed and jump. Charging his revolver knuckle, he leaped into the air towards Junmyeon.

 

Junmyeon anticipated the attack and raised his staff towards Kyungsoo’s direction. A round magical shield appeared, effectively blocking Kyungsoo’s blow.

 

“Ugh, this barrier is hard!” Kyungsoo squeaked. Junmyeon smiled.

 

“Of course, and do look out for the incoming bullets!” Junmyeon said excitedly.

 

From behind Kyungsoo, two of Junmyeon’s axel shooters came rushing towards him. He pushed away from Junmyeon, ducked one of the bullets, and kicked the other bullet away.

 

“Good reflexes!” Junmyeon said.

 

“Thank you, sir!” Kyungsoo replied. But his relief was short-lived as Junmyeon pointed his staff at Kyungsoo. A soft aquamarine glow appeared beneath his feet. Kyungsoo saw Junmyeon’s magic circle expanded beneath his own feet and eight small beams of light erupted from the ground, surrounding Kyungsoo. A binding cage started to form in thin air.

 

Kyungsoo ducked and escaped the cage before it fully materialized, just in time for another axel bullet to come flying at him. This time, he had no time to duck, and so he extended his arm, casting a magical barrier in that direction. The bullet hits the barrier, causing a small explosion that propelled Kyungsoo backwards. Kyungsoo was panting because Junmyeon wasn’t even giving him a tiny room to breathe.

 

Baekhyun, ready?” Kyungsoo called out to Baekhyun via the telepathic comms.

 

Junmyeon noticed the shift in the air, and he immediately glanced around his surroundings, looking for Baekhyun. Baekhyun have used his illusion magic to make himself invisible. And at the same time, a dozen Baekhyuns appeared all over the place, standing on different buildings, each charging a bullet aimed at Junmyeon. Junmyeon pointed his staff at the sky and shot out two dozen axel shooters. The aquamarine magic bullets whizzed through the air, colliding with the Baekhyuns. The illusions shimmered, but in the place of the ones that melted away came another silhouette to disorient Junmyeon.

 

“Seems like you have gotten better at controlling your magic, but I will find you!” Junmyeon said, determined. “Wide Area Search, WAS, activate!” three balls of light flew out of Junmyeon’s staff, trying to sense where the real Baekhyun was.

 

Kyungsoo wasn’t going to let Junmyeon find Baekhyun that easily. His own blue magic circle expanded beneath his feet, and he punched the ground. “Wing Road!” He cried, as magical roads dashed out, circling the sky, forming solid paths for Kyungsoo to run in the air.

 

“I must say that I am impressed. I haven’t seen someone cast a Wing Road in a while,” Junmyeon smiled, turning his attention back to Kyungsoo as Kyungsoo’s magical path surrounded him in an intricate pattern.

 

“My mother taught me the basics in the past, and I honed them with Sehun, sir!” Kyungsoo said, running up the paths with ease. “Watch out!” He pulled his right arm back, his revolver knuckle spinning, generating force, and then he launched a punch at Junmyeon. Junmyeon instinctively pointed his staff at Kyungsoo. A magical shield appeared, blocking the blow.

 

“Break through it!” Kyungsoo cried, his revolver knuckle spun even more. A crack started to appear on the surface of Junmyeon’s magical barrier. He noticed that, and decided to go on the offense. He drew back his staff, and just as his magical barrier disintegrated, he launched his staff down to strike Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo immediately put out his left hand, and a round barrier appeared to block the blow. Kyungsoo then jumped back joyfully. Junmyeon noticed that Kyungsoo was gleeful, and when he tried to pull back on his staff to fire an axel shooter, he realized that he couldn’t move. When the dust settled, he saw that Kyungsoo’s magical barrier was still in front of him, but extended from the barrier were chains that bound Junmyeon’s arms.

 

“Barrier Bind. Perfectly executed, but risky. You could have gotten a direct hit from me if I have been more serious in this battle,” Junmyeon said strictly.

 

“I know, sir. But it was worth the try,” Kyungsoo smiled sheepishly. “Baekhyun, you’re up!” Kyungsoo shouted.

 

Junmyeon heard the bullets whizzing through the air. He looked around and saw that there were hundreds of phantom bullets barraging down on him from all directions. When he looked back to the front, Kyungsoo was still there. Kyungsoo also noticed the bullets coming at him. He was looking for a clear spot for him to run, but he found nothing.

 

Just as the bullets reached the pair, Junmyeon broke free from his binds.

 

“Mode Release.”

 

That was all Kyungsoo heard Junmyeon say as the bullets hit. He braced himself. He could hear the explosions from all around him, but he did not feel the impact of the bullet. When the dust settled, he was on the ground in a ducked position, and he saw Junmyeon standing in front of him. Junmyeon’s face was downcast. He had his arms in the sky, a barrier was casted around both him and Kyungsoo. His staff had returned to its pre-set-up form which was just a tiny necklace, and it was floating beside him.

 

Then, as the barrier fizzled off, footsteps were heard. Baekhyun who was invisible slowly turned visible as he ran up the Wing Road, pointing his gun-dagger at Junmyeon.

 

Junmyeon did not faze as Baekhyun charged at him. He simply held out his right hand and caught Baekhyun’s dagger just as Baekhyun thought that he would put Junmyeon at a position where the captain would yield. Baekhyun was shocked. Both him and Kyungsoo froze at their spot.

 

“Was my training routine… was everything that I said and taught… that wrong?” Junmyeon asked in a quiet voice. “Were my instructions about staying safe and not harming your comrades that hard for the both of you to follow? It makes me really wonder, how much of the things that I try to teach you actually sink in.”

 

Junmyeon’s grip on the dagger tightened. Blood trickled to the floor. Junmyeon looked up at Baekhyun emptily. Baekhyun was visibly shaken. He immediately released his magic, and the dagger disappeared. Baekhyun jumped a few feet backwards, pointing his gun at Junmyeon. He was crying.

 

Junmyeon looked up at Baekhyun, disappointed. “If you only pretend to listen during practices, and then do something this dangerous during battle, then what is the point in training?”

 

“I just wanted to be stronger,” Baekhyun cried as he charged up a bullet. “I just wanted to wipe away the dishonor that you brought upon my brother. And to do that, I have to be strong! Is that wrong for you?” Baekhyun cried. The bullet reaching a dangerous deep orange colour.

 

Junmyeon just pointed his right index finger at Baekhyun. “I guess I’ll have to cool your head for a moment.”

 

“It wasn’t his fault,” Kyungsoo tried to explain, standing up, and moving towards Junmyeon, but he found that he was unable to move. When he looked down, he saw that there was a bind that kept him in place.

 

“For you, just stay put and watch,” Junmyeon said coldly in disappointment.

 

Cross Fire,” Around Junmyeon’s wrist, 6 balls of energy condensed. Kyungsoo couldn’t do anything to protect Baekhyun. His eyes widened with horror. On the other side, he saw Baekhyun firing one bolt of concentrated energy at Junmyeon while screaming.

 

Shoot,” Junmyeon merely flicked his wrist and the 6 balls of energy fired out 6 beams, overpowering the bullet that Baekhyun fired. An explosion happened when the blast eventually collided with Baekhyun. And when the dust settled, Baekhyun stood there, crying, but looking empty.

 

“Let this be a lesson today,” Junmyeon said quietly. The 6 balls of energy around his wrist combined together and formed a big ball of energy.

 

“N-no! Stop-” Kyungsoo pleaded, but it was too late.

 

Junmyeon fired a blast straight at Baekhyun, point-blank. Baekhyun completely surrendered, and the blast engulfed him, pushing him off the edge of the Wing Road, causing his limped body to land on the gravel about 6 meters away from their elevation.

 

“Baekhyun!” Kyungsoo cried.

 

He finally broke free from the bind, and ran towards Baekhyun who was shot down. He was in tears, and Baekhyun was unconscious. He cradled Baekhyun’s face, the older boy was knocked out of cold. Kyungsoo then looked back up at Junmyeon who looked at the pair with a disappointed and empty expression. Then, Junmyeon announced.

 

“Today’s mock battle concludes with EXO-5 and EXO-6 being shot down.”